Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

empty whippet box posted:

*as gunshots ring out all around me, sitting in a court of law*

"I think that we should consider possibly restricting who can buy guns somewhat"

*crowd gasps, someone pulls out a gun and shoots me*

*bullets begin literally raining from the sky*

judge: "HOW DARE YOU! I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH FOR DARING TO SUGGEST THIS!"

*I slump over in the witness chair already dead*

*the sound of court is drowned out by gunfire*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ben shapino posted:

yeah but he thinks it's bad

I think a lot about... you know, if it hadn't been for Covid, there's a good chance Trummy Boyo would still be president

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Scam Likely posted:

Looks like my wife has it. :( We're both experiencing the same symptoms actually, but my rapid test results were negative. We're holding out a little hope that hers was a false positive. The Pfizer vaccine seems to be mitigating any symptoms really well, feels like a mild summer cold as we quarantine.
False positives are much less common than false negatives. False negatives are extremely common with the rapid test. Sorry :smith:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think a lot about... you know, if it hadn't been for Covid, there's a good chance Trummy Boyo would still be president

Which is hilarious because COVID was a loving layup for him, but instead of just dunking on the Dems he decided to downplay a virus he acknowledged as dangerous in an interview he did in February... because reasons? And then proceeded to hamstring the attempts to limit spread because he couldn't dare be wrong about his insistence it's "just a flu". And now that his base is dying in droves, he's begging them to get vaxxed and they're turning on him for it and it's hilarious.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

which would have had literally zero effect on policy regarding covid, since both biden and trump's covid plan is 'let's do nothing and see what happens'

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

which would have had literally zero effect on policy regarding covid, since both biden and trump's covid plan is 'let's do nothing and see what happens'
Idk, Trump was ignoring the CDC and spreading disinformation in a random fashion in accordance with his chaotic brain, while Biden is paying attention to the CDC and spreading misinformation based on the CDC’s incredible incompetence. Hard to say which is worse

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Biden is at least relentlessly pushing vaccines.

Trump was not until now, and since he convinced his followers that they don't need it, they now turned on him when he says they should get it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Biden is at least relentlessly pushing vaccines.

Trump was not until now, and since he convinced his followers that they don't need it, they now turned on him when he says they should get it.

'relentlessly pushing vaccines'

he tweeted 'please get the vaccine' a couple times lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

It’s pretty much the whole world, just in different ways

The US does seem to be going about it in the *dumbest* way, but other countries are being downright evil with fudging the numbers and pretending everything’s fine (like Mexico imo)

American Exceptionalism is pervasive amongst Americans, even those that hate their own country. Americans always believe their country is the most, even when they're calling it the most bad. Its p funny as an outsider tbh

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

OgNar posted:

This isn't even stupidity. She spent at least a few years of schooling and working to get where she is/was.
She's not stupid.

Just loving brainwashed.

I don't get it. But over the years I've known a few Hare Krishnas and other people that are just purely brainwashed.
Intelligent otherwise but simply refuse common sense.

According to this author's definition, she is indeed Stupid, but not at all dumb or uneducated.
https://psyche.co/ideas/why-some-of-the-smartest-people-can-be-so-very-stupid

It's an interesting take on it, trying to explain why some very smart people can make very bad decisions. Worth a read, IMO.

quote:

Stupidity is a very specific cognitive failing. Crudely put, it occurs when you don’t have the right conceptual tools for the job. The result is an inability to make sense of what is happening and a resulting tendency to force phenomena into crude, distorting pigeonholes.

This is easiest to introduce with a tragic case. British high command during the First World War frequently understood trench warfare using concepts and strategies from the cavalry battles of their youth. As one of Field Marshal Douglas Haig’s subordinates later remarked, they thought of the trenches as ‘mobile operations at the halt’: ie, as fluid battle lines with the simple caveat that nothing in fact budged for years. Unsurprisingly, this did not serve them well in formulating a strategy: they were hampered, beyond the shortage of material resources, by a kind of ‘conceptual obsolescence’, a failure to update their cognitive tools to fit the task in hand.

Edit: It's hardly a standard definition of "stupidity", I think it warrants a new name, but it applies really well to medical professionals with anti-vaxx sentiments, or people like Linus Pauling.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 24, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Latest tactic for anti-vaxx arguments: Just make up outright lies about history!

https://twitter.com/Caulimovirus/status/1430232960918331392?s=20

EDIT: Oh great, and the person sharing the lie is a Republican running for Congress...

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

LanceHunter posted:

Latest tactic for anti-vaxx arguments: Just make up outright lies about history!

As opposed to their prior tactics... that being just make poo poo up in general.

I mean really the progenitor of the "Vax causes autism" bullshit just wholesale made poo poo up (and abused children) because he wanted to patent a competitor to the combined MMR vax.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Decon posted:

As opposed to their prior tactics... that being just make poo poo up in general.

I mean really the progenitor of the "Vax causes autism" bullshit just wholesale made poo poo up (and abused children) because he wanted to patent a competitor to the combined MMR vax.

Yeah Wakefield is such a piece of work, he was originally commissioned by a lawyer hired by the (at the time) very small anti-MMR vaxx group in Britain to come up with a fake study, then while he was working on the fake study realized he could profit through a competing vaccine, patented a competing vaccine that would have never made it through clinical trials, and is now part of the anti-vaxx grifters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There's been a whole long line of arguments for 'let's do nothing and see what happens' and they've all been stupid bullshit, but you know it'll just be a matter of time until they come up with a new one

- We stopped the flights, the virus won't get in
- We got 15 cases but by this time next week they'll be down to zero
- The virus will disappear in the warmer weather
- Only the elderly and obese get really sick, for everyone else it's just the flu
- The elderly are all vaxxed, kids can't catch it and all adults have access to the vaccine, it's down to personal choice
- Maybe we're at herd immunity already?
- Cases might be up but hospitalizations & deaths are staying down
- It's endemic, we just have to learn to live with it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

'relentlessly pushing vaccines'

he tweeted 'please get the vaccine' a couple times lol
This turned out to be his plan, when he said in October 2020 that he had a plan to beat covid while Trump didn’t. :911:

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/Caulimovirus/status/1430232960918331392?s=20

EDIT: Oh great, and the person sharing the lie is a Republican running for Congress...
Humanity is too dumb to handle the power of social media.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm starting to notice a lot of "I'm not anti-vax, but I am against vaccine mandates" posts on reddit and social media. Anyone else? Really feels it's some sort of astroturfing campaign to hinder vaccine mandates and/or people really are that dumb.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frogge posted:

I'm starting to notice a lot of "I'm not anti-vax, but I am against vaccine mandates" posts on reddit and social media. Anyone else? Really feels it's some sort of astroturfing campaign to hinder vaccine mandates and/or people really are that dumb.

Softbrain “the truth is somewhere in the middle” people are parroting this to sound like they are smart and reasoned.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

False positives are much less common than false negatives. False negatives are extremely common with the rapid test. Sorry :smith:

This reminds me of a YouTube video I watched recently. It was some redneck car YouTuber channel and he was talking about his experience with covid. He said he started feeling sick, so he went to get a covid test and it came back negative. So he figured, it must be a cold or something so he proceeded to go to car shows and other events but then later started to feel worse and got another test and what do you know, it was positive. So for all we know he was spreading it around for few days under the mistaken belief that it wasn't covid.

I really wish it could be drilled into people's heads that if you start feeling sick in 2021 STAY THE gently caress HOME. Regardless if you get a negative covid test because false negatives are extremely common. And I don't know how many stories I've heard of people getting a negative test first then going about their business until a second test comes up positive. The cold and flu seem to be pretty rare these days so chances are of you're sick it's loving covid and stay the gently caress away from people. There really needs to be more education about this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

frogge posted:

My opposition to vaccine mandates stems from a desire to see anti vaxxers gently caress around and find out. There’s potential long term benefits for humanity if a bunch of them die or get sick enough to question their views on modern medicine; I don’t think that happens if they acquiesce and get the vaccine so they don’t lose their jobs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If there is ever a national mandate the chuds would 100% take up arms.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

This was your breaking point for “America is bad”? Not the racial oppression or war crimes?

Of course I knew we were poo poo before this. This was just like the final rotten cherry on the poo poo sundae that is the US (and the world). Every year now is worse than the one before it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Charliegrs posted:

The cold and flu seem to be pretty rare these days so chances are of you're sick it's loving covid and stay the gently caress away from people. There really needs to be more education about this.
I also see some people say “I’m positive, but the test might have caught rhinovirus or the flu by mistake.” Lol no. Those viruses are massively different from each other (and it’s hard enough to make a test that is sensitive against all common flu or rhinovirus strains as it is), plus all the approved tests have to be evaluated heavily for cross-reactivity using absurdly high amounts of potentially cross-reacting viruses.

A covid test *might* also pick up OG SARS, but nobody gives a gently caress because that virus isn’t circulating anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been a whole long line of arguments for 'let's do nothing and see what happens' and they've all been stupid bullshit, but you know it'll just be a matter of time until they come up with a new one

- We stopped the flights, the virus won't get in
- We got 15 cases but by this time next week they'll be down to zero
- The virus will disappear in the warmer weather
- Only the elderly and obese get really sick, for everyone else it's just the flu
- The elderly are all vaxxed, kids can't catch it and all adults have access to the vaccine, it's down to personal choice
- Maybe we're at herd immunity already?
- Cases might be up but hospitalizations & deaths are staying down
- It's endemic, we just have to learn to live with it

-Why do people who got vaccinated but have long covid get financial support, when people who didn't get vaccinated with long covid get nothing??

Zugzwang posted:

i've been saying this for a decade. well, not exactly this... it's not that people are stupid, social media used maliciously can exploit logic-circumventing blindspots that are natural to us. humans are too IGNORANT for social media; and even though you can educate someone to use it safely, even that is still subject to human error. in theory it's a cute invention for mass public communication. in practice it's a great way to shift the ethics of 5% of the population by 5%, constantly, forever, for as little effort as posting propaganda with bots. it's as existentially dangerous of a technology as nuclear weapons.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 24, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

frogge posted:

There has definitely been concerted and organized efforts to push this sort of thing. It was maybe most obvious over on the In The Pipeline comments section, where a bunch of commenters suddenly showed up with specific talking points and also a weird tendency to defend the honor of the russian government. And when the sputnik vaccine wasn't approved in Brazil there were suddenly different usernames taking a different tack (oh it's a shame the politics are getting in the way when the vaccine is so good) and those other guys suddenly had nothing to say.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Anne Whateley posted:

Bingo, I'm positive now too. Sucks. Pfizer proteins do yo thing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zugzwang posted:

Do you mean the Internet makes you stupid? :thunk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Decon posted:

Which is hilarious because COVID was a loving layup for him, but instead of just dunking on the Dems he decided to downplay a virus he acknowledged as dangerous in an interview he did in February... because reasons? And then proceeded to hamstring the attempts to limit spread because he couldn't dare be wrong about his insistence it's "just a flu". And now that his base is dying in droves, he's begging them to get vaxxed and they're turning on him for it and it's hilarious.

"Reasons" in this case being he and all his buddies are commercial landlords and guess who gets most hosed up if the economy moves more towards remote working and mail order? Like if you're looking for the real x factor in why right-wing nutters are so gung-ho against any kind of precautions against covid above and beyond their usual oppositional defiant disorder, it really is as simple as that.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Reasons" in this case being he and all his buddies are commercial landlords and guess who gets most hosed up if the economy moves more towards remote working and mail order? Like if you're looking for the real x factor in why right-wing nutters are so gung-ho against any kind of precautions against covid above and beyond their usual oppositional defiant disorder, it really is as simple as that.

Imo you're giving conservative leadership too much credit. Their only platform is contrarianism. Dems said lockdowns are necessary to save lives, conservatives wanna open up. Dems said get the vaccine, conservatives wanna choke to death on horsepaste.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 24, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Dems should start advocating for goat paste, IMO.

Goat Paste 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We did a thing!

https://komonews.com/news/local/king-county-first-large-county-in-nation-to-surpass-70-percent-vaccination-threshold

Seattle metro and King County is the first large county nationwide to surpass 70% vaccination

KOMO posted:

SEATTLE – King County is the nation’s first large county to surpass the 70 percent threshold for COVID-19 vaccinations.

King County Executive Dow Constantine said Tuesday morning 71 percent of eligible residents ages 12 or older have gotten at least one dose.

“As I've said all along, this pandemic will end one shot at a time, and no community would be left behind,” Constantine said. “Our community outreach, school clinics, and partnerships across King County have helped save lives and keep more people safe from the Delta variant. From young people to community organizations that reach communities of color, everyone in King County is stepping up to do their part and keep one another safe from this dangerous virus.”
The news comes a day after the FDA approved the Pfizer Biotech vaccine and health leaders say they suspect this means the vaccination rate will continue to rise at home.

"This is an important milestone and remarkable achievement, but as the current Delta surge shows, we still have too many eligible and unprotected," said Dr. Jeff Duchin, Health Officer for Public Health – Seattle & King County. "The full approval of the Pfizer mRNA vaccine by FDA should reassure anyone who has been reluctant to be vaccinated with the emergency use authorization. This vaccine now officially meets the same safety and effectiveness standard as all other routinely available vaccines."

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

My covid-denier instagram buddy is on a roll now that I've tested positive.

quote:

Scam Likely :v: : drat, tested positive. Feeling like poo poo.

Covid denier :pseudo: : What month did you get the vaccine? I'm going to guess January or February

:v: : 2nd shot was April 9th
Feels like the flu, Mrs. Scam Likely tested positive too.

:pseudo: : That's not good. I know one person who got sick but they didn't test so they never got it. Ha
Also my wife got sick but tested negative

:v: : Yeah I tested negative Monday, but positive today when it felt worse.
Both rapid tests, PCR results come in about 3 days.

:pseudo: : It's a very strange month to be getting a flu like virus
I would understand if it was December
Maybe asymptomatic is not a thing. Maybe it is
So you test every day at work?
Maybe the bacteria on your mask? Maybe the water in your building? Maybe a virus?
Maybe your immune system is compromised slightly from the vaccine? I am obviously a reject. [sic]

:v: : It's Covid, but you're welcome to come up with your own theories. Be safe out there.

:pseudo: : Do you know if it's the variant?
I heard there is no test for that.

:v: : Didn't spring for the DNA evaluation, maybe they'll do that as part of the PCR test?

:pseudo: : They just blanket everyone with variant speculation

:v: : Nah, I think they do sequence genomes of some samples, but that's not something I have any control over.

:pseudo: : Maybe the Wuhan lab can help with that

:v: : Or the CDC lol

:pseudo: : I'm sure Wuhan has the antidote

:v: : My head is pounding though, stupid sinuses

:pseudo: : Bogus

:v: : Every time it thumps I hear a faint voice. It sounds like it's saying "re... set... re... set..."
*Picture of MD form showing positive case*

Theres more with plenty of Ivermectin and Glutathione charts he's sending. He says drinking orange juice is dangerous because of the sugar. lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Scam Likely posted:

My covid-denier instagram buddy is on a roll now that I've tested positive.

Theres more with plenty of Ivermectin and Glutathione charts he's sending. He says drinking orange juice is dangerous because of the sugar. lol
What about orange-flavored horse paste?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Literal horse dewormer paste that makes you temporarily blind: I sleep.

Orange juice: Real poo poo!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
undeniable fact: none of the thirteen triple crown winners died of, or with, COVID-19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

This turned out to be his plan, when he said in October 2020 that he had a plan to beat covid while Trump didn’t. :911:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1322254443644026880

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Let's see we got... OJ, purple stuff, Sunny-D, oh Ivermectin! Go for it!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Taking horse tranquilizers just in case.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
https://twitter.com/nbcnewsgraphics/status/1430194833465954312?s=21

Shocking. I don’t get why people continue to have giant rear end weddings, festivals, etc during what is clearly one of the worst points in the pandemic. Common sense just isn’t a thing anymore I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally a growth map where Florida doesn’t look so bad.

Look, I know why just give me this.