Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Silicon wise the A4000 is equivalent to the 3070 more or less, but with its TDP throttled down to 140W it won't perform as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

repiv posted:

Silicon wise the A4000 is equivalent to the 3070 more or less, but with its TDP throttled down to 140W it won't perform as well

It would still be quite a good upgrade from a 1080ti tho, right?

The more I read about it, the more interesting it seems, and they seem to be more readily available here…

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zoran posted:

I see an awful lot of performance problems reported by people with AMD cards, at least with specific titles.

3DS emulation can be bottlenecked by your CPU. Moving to a 6 core 3600 from a 4 core 3770k (old but running at 4.4GHz) meant I could run MH4U, one of the more demanding games for 3DS emu, smoothly on the same GPU (a heavily modded RX 5700). It doesn't seem to be GPU bound necessarily.

Same for emulating BotW, the Wii U version. That 3600 + 5700 combo ran it smoothly at 3440x1440 whereas the 3770k couldn't really do much with the same GPU.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

v1ld posted:

3DS emulation can be bottlenecked by your CPU. Moving to a 6 core 3600 from a 4 core 3770k (old but running at 4.4GHz) meant I could run MH4U, one of the more demanding games for 3DS emu, smoothly on the same GPU (a heavily modded RX 5700). It doesn't seem to be GPU bound necessarily.

It is pretty CPU dependent, which is why it was a nice upgrade for me last fall going to a 3600x from my i5 whatever from 2013… but I know that my current GeForce GTX 760 gets performance comparable to or even better than what people report with AMD graphics cards from within the last 2 years.

I want a new GPU so I can play other modern games, but I think it needs to be nVidia because I’m expecting to do stuff with higher-end upscaling and the like on Citra and potentially Yuzu, and I don’t want to jeopardize that with AMD’s OpenGL drivers.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I ran Citra with no problems with this RX 5700 and a 7970 before that, if that helps any with your decision.

E: no problems doesn't include MH4U which came out late in the N3DS cycle I think and didn't emulate well until I got that 3600.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 24, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The more I read about it, the more interesting it seems, and they seem to be more readily available here…

I wouldn't expect it to be a very big upgrade, actually. You may be able to go up one additional graphical preset with one, and you would be able to make use of DLSS and ray tracing, but it's not going to be as dramatic of an upgrade as you'd expect when going up two generations. It may be worth it if you can find one for cheap, but my impression is that these things are priced higher than consumer GPUs typically due to them being meant for businesses.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wouldn't expect it to be a very big upgrade, actually. You may be able to go up one additional graphical preset with one, and you would be able to make use of DLSS and ray tracing, but it's not going to be as dramatic of an upgrade as you'd expect when going up two generations. It may be worth it if you can find one for cheap, but my impression is that these things are priced higher than consumer GPUs typically due to them being meant for businesses.

Thank you, I actually found one at MSRP but reading more about it, seems closer to a 3060 in actual performance

https://magazine.renderosity.com/article/6428/review-nvidias-new-rtx-a4000-professional-graphics-card

Apparently they're more stable and ISV certified and so on, definitely meant for design work

In short: Not great, not terrible

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Card finally shipped

It should be here by 7pm tomorrow.

Seriously can't wait. I'm so happy to finally have a 'complete' new computer.

Also unrelated but I have a NZXT X61 that I'm using with my 3600x at the moment, but I saw that NZXT came out with a product called the "G12" that allows you to use an AIO cooler with a video card.

https://nzxt.com/product/kraken-g12

Has anyone tried this out? It's only like $30 on Amazon and it seems like it would be pretty good if you're looking to overclock your card.

The G12 supports AIO coolers made by other brands as well. The 'rear fan' space in my case is still unused and I was thinking about getting a 120mm radiator for the video card.

Would this be a worthwhile move do the 5700xt cards ship pretty close to their maximum output like the Ryzen chips?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

Card finally shipped

It should be here by 7pm tomorrow.

Seriously can't wait. I'm so happy to finally have a 'complete' new computer.

Also unrelated but I have a NZXT X61 that I'm using with my 3600x at the moment, but I saw that NZXT came out with a product called the "G12" that allows you to use an AIO cooler with a video card.

https://nzxt.com/product/kraken-g12

Has anyone tried this out? It's only like $30 on Amazon and it seems like it would be pretty good if you're looking to overclock your card.

The G12 supports AIO coolers made by other brands as well. The 'rear fan' space in my case is still unused and I was thinking about getting a 120mm radiator for the video card.

Would this be a worthwhile move do the 5700xt cards ship pretty close to their maximum output like the Ryzen chips?

I don't know if I'd trust those kinds of one-size-fits-all solutions. How does the VRAM get cooled here?

edit: I'm reading their manual, and it seems like they're just relying on the fan to blow air directly onto the exposed memory modules and VRMs to cool them. I'm not sure that's if good enough for a lot of cards though...

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 24, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't know if I'd trust those kinds of one-size-fits-all solutions. How does the VRAM get cooled here?

NZXT actually doesn't list any Ampere GPUs as compatible with the G12 so I guess the answer is "it doesn't cool the VRAM well enough to handle spicy GDDR6X"

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 24, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I checked the manual and you're just blowing air onto exposed memory modules and VRMs. Seems iffy. Might work for the 6700 XT, but it also strikes me as very unnecessary.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Yeah, I checked the manual and you're just blowing air onto exposed memory modules and VRMs. Seems iffy. Might work for the 6700 XT, but it also strikes me as very unnecessary.

I've seen people benching OC'd 2080 supers claim that temps peak at 71c but I would imagine newer cards probably push 80?

There are several guides for the 6700xt with the g12 because apparently it takes very well to overclocking.

I'm not going to bother for now honestly, after looking at OC benchmarks for the ASRock card I bought I'm confident that the included cooling solution is more than beefy enough to handle it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's a whole lotta stuff in the next newegg shuffle, including a $599 3070 Ti (MSRP, in 2021?)

You know the GPU market is in a weird place when a Ti card is cheaper than a non-Ti card from the same brand. Can't tell if this is a pricing error or what.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
LHR related maybe?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FWIW, I'm planning an upgrade to that with an Accelero cooler from my 1080. I do lots of CAD for work, though, so I get benefits from SOLIDWORKS and similar software, especially on the VRAM side for whacky poo poo like 3D scanning.

Long term, though, plonking in for the $1k engineering card and not having to worry about crypto bullshit is nice for my video games as well.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Biowarfare posted:

LHR related maybe?

Yeah you can't mine with ampere ti cards very well so sometimes they can be found cheaper. Crypto was a mistake.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah you can't mine with ampere ti cards very well so sometimes they can be found cheaper. Crypto was a mistake.

Every new ampere card being sold now is LHR I believe, including both of those in that image. It's been this way for a couple months now.

edit: besides the 3090 I think, which is still not LHR.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 24, 2021

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I know it fits the polygonal design theme here, but doesn't the angular bends in the fan blades hamper its cooling and noise efficiency? https://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/geforce-rtx-3080ti-hof.html

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
In case anyone wants to pay the premium for a 3080Ti or 3090 there are a few combos in stock at Newegg right now where the combo'ed item isn't terribly expensive:

MSI 3080 Ti ($1,769.99) + some random RAM ($74.99):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4331513
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4331514

Gigabyte 3090 Vision OC ($2,149.99) + some cheap motherboard ($77.99):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4334143

(I think if you're going to splash that much cash you might as well go for the 24GB 3090 over the 12GB 3080Ti though.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Not gonna get a lick of work done today as I wait for my 3080ti to show up :ohdear:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

good interview by DF with Intel reps on Arc and XeSS

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ange-the-market

interesting bit to me

quote:

Now, when you think about how do you run that XeSS algorithm? The initial ones we've talked about are the XMX engines, which are systolic that's kind of the traditional method of doing fast inference on a GPU. And the other method is DP4A, which is another kind of simpler form that can be more broadly adopted across multiple different architectures. So I think of it as, on hardware platforms from Intel that support the core engine, we expect to make XeSS available on that device. So that's, that's pretty cool, right? You kind of say, we have multiple backends that all plug in underneath a common API. And that is, to me, the most important thing is that ISVs are looking for these common APIs. So they can do one integration.

And then underneath that integration, you could have multiple implementations of the engine without ISVs having to re-integrate and re-evaluate every time so our expectation is that that's exactly what XeSS is - it has a standardised API that could even work across multiple vendors. And so, part of the key strategy of XeSS is to be open, let's get these API's out there. And let's let other people implement underneath these so that we can make the life of ISVs a little bit easier. And over time, the hope is that this kind of stuff will of course, move up higher into cross industry, standardized APIs, but all that stuff takes time. So what we're kind of thinking is, hey, let's get our first version out there, make it awesome, then publish it, make the APIs open, and then over time, it gets standardised.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 24, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Genuinely looking forward to this. Likely going to be a big step up for integrated graphics gaming performance, and also, AM5 systems all having integrated graphics will add some nice additional options for extra displays with ryzen systems.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They might learn something from providing APUs to both current gen consoles too

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They might learn something from providing APUs to both current gen consoles too

I mean that did that for last gen consoles too and i wouldn't say they learned anything significant?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

FWIW, I'm planning an upgrade to that with an Accelero cooler from my 1080. I do lots of CAD for work, though, so I get benefits from SOLIDWORKS and similar software, especially on the VRAM side for whacky poo poo like 3D scanning.

Long term, though, plonking in for the $1k engineering card and not having to worry about crypto bullshit is nice for my video games as well.

If you do end up getting it, I’d love some benchmarks or any comments about it, most benchmarks I’ve seen measure for Vray or machine learning stuff, but I’m curious how it performs on regular games

I’ve been reading a little more about the RTX A series, they’re not a bad idea if you do 3d stuff. While the A4000 is a little underwhelming, the A5000 seems like the sweet spot, equivalent to a 3090 in performance (the A6000 is like 5k for slightly better numbers, so hard pass).

Lots of vram too, a very nice plus in any graphics app

MSRP of 2,300 for an A5000 is not THAT crazy compared to a 3090 in 2021, and they seem much more available. You can stack a bunch of them too, if you got tons of gold

For now, just idle reading, while I decide if I’m better off waiting for the regular RTX 4000 series. I don’t *need* an upgrade but it would be nice. And not having to hunt for it is a nice plus

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

good interview by DF with Intel reps on Arc and XeSS

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ange-the-market

interesting bit to me

Another detail I missed before is they are offloading BVH traversal to the RT units, mirroring how Nvidia does it (as opposed to AMD who traverse on the shader cores)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question: if you had to get a GPU for professional work, say, Adobe Premier and Photoshop, but the professional-level cards are outside of what corporate would approve for the budget, what would be the lowest-grade consumer card that would be acceptable?

alternatively, if I'd need more information to be able to make a decision between, say, getting 3060s or 3070s, what would I do to gather data? how would I measure that?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a question: if you had to get a GPU for professional work, say, Adobe Premier and Photoshop, but the professional-level cards are outside of what corporate would approve for the budget, what would be the lowest-grade consumer card that would be acceptable?

alternatively, if I'd need more information to be able to make a decision between, say, getting 3060s or 3070s, what would I do to gather data? how would I measure that?

What kind of work? Photoshop mainly relies on CPU processing and rarely uses GPU acceleration from what I've seen (though I don't use it for video or 3D work)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If you do end up getting it, I’d love some benchmarks or any comments about it, most benchmarks I’ve seen measure for Vray or machine learning stuff, but I’m curious how it performs on regular games

I’ve been reading a little more about the RTX A series, they’re not a bad idea if you do 3d stuff. While the A4000 is a little underwhelming, the A5000 seems like the sweet spot, equivalent to a 3090 in performance (the A6000 is like 5k for slightly better numbers, so hard pass).

MSRP of 2,300 for an A5000 is not THAT crazy compared to a 3090 in 2021, and they seem much more available. You can stack a bunch of them too, if you got tons of gold

For now, just idle reading, while I decide if I’m better off waiting for the regular RTX 4000 series. I don’t *need* an upgrade but it would be nice. And not having to hunt for it is a nice plus

makes less sense for 3080 and above since the consumer cards have G6X and the pro cards don't - there'll be a bigger perf gap

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://wccftech.com/intel-xess-interview-karthik-vaidyanathan

Some more info on XeSS. Confirms the fast path won't use NVs tensor cores (at least not until there's some more API standardization around matrix ops) and names Turing and RDNA2 as the baseline for running the slower path on non-Intel hardware.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Absolutely! It'll be a bit, mostly contingent on getting a new job in the field that allows me to actually pay down my credit cards in a timely manner, but this is something I'm super interested in doing for folks. I think there's probably an emerging section of folks who can really utilize an engineering card and want to play video games.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh poo poo, EVGA notified me that the 3060 ti I reserved in December is available to buy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

😳
👉👈

This 3080 ti is insane, I wish you all the best of luck

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just got my 3080ti as well! I got the bundle from ANTonline that was posted last week. Came with the GPU, PSU, and a silly EVGA gaming keyboard that I may or may not use. I need a new keyboard and I’ll try it out but not sure I’ll use it going forward.

Dummy thicc!!!

Won’t be able to do my new build till Saturday when the rest of my components ship in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got the same bundle, luckily already have a buyer lined up for my old gpu and the power supply so I can quickly recoup some of the cost and therefore completely justify the purchase :shepface:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I priced out the cost of the bundle individually and kinda figured that Antonline was charging an extra $100 - $150 “gently caress YOU PAY ME” fee for the bundle. Oh well, at least they’re not a scalper or reseller and my GPU is brand new.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question as I was the goon complaining about fan noise a while back, after I realised that the actual noise that I could hear was coil whine.

Current system is a 5900x with a new corsair 750w platinum psu and pretty much under any gpu load I can hear coil whine. I ran the same card (3080ti fe) in my old system for a bit which has a 750w evga psu and never noticed it. So I'm wondering if the new psu I bought just isn't up to the task maybe? I kinda hate it anyway as it has caps in the cables which make cable management a huge pain.

I know the obvious thing is to try the old psu out in the new system or just shove the gpu into the old one to see if it's definitely that. Have people warrantied a gpu because of coil whine? I mean I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't a grands worth of card, but well it's a grands worth of gpu.

Edit: Thinking about it I even ran the card in the old build with the sidepanel off the case because I was worried about airflow and never noticed any coil whine.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got my ASRock Challenger D 6700xt today.

This thing is totally cool and good. Resident Evil Village looks drat near real life this is completely crazy.

I have a 750w EVGA gold power supply and everything is fine so far.

I've had this power supply for about two years so it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a new one soon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

64bit_Dophins posted:

Got my ASRock Challenger D 6700xt today.

This thing is totally cool and good. Resident Evil Village looks drat near real life this is completely crazy.

I have a 750w EVGA gold power supply and everything is fine so far.

I've had this power supply for about two years so it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a new one soon.

Good power supplies can last for a decade before needing replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

What? Why?

The PSU scaremongering I've seen a little of in this thread has put some weird ideas into people's heads.