Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BloodBag posted:

Same. The BRZ felt slower than an NC1 miata. The S550 5.0L is incredible and I'm so glad I got one.
I mean, it was fun between 7-7.5k rpm or so above the torque hole, but the coyote did better regardless of where you floor it at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Probably doesn't fit the spirit of the thread but it Randy Pobst talking about a track day car that is 1800 lbs and uses a Ford 2.3 Ecoboost drivetrain from a Mustang for motivation. To say the drivetrain is understressed is putting it mildly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_v_YNU3yI
https://www.fieldsautoworks.com/

ilkhan posted:

I mean, it was fun between 7-7.5k rpm or so above the torque hole, but the coyote did better regardless of where you floor it at.

Funny thing is the frame rails in the front of the BRZ are so wide to accommodate the FA20 that a Coyote fits in the engine bay.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 24, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godzilla07 posted:

Dieselgate likely killed the Golf wagon in the U.S. The most recent number I could find was that the Golf wagon had an 80% diesel take rate prior to Dieselgate.

In 2013 I went to three VW dealers looking for a JSW diesel with a 6spd, and the reaction was either “I didn’t even know we made those, how about we look at GTIs,” or “we don’t do special orders, here’s a beige JSW with the gas engine and an automatic what do you mean you’re not interested come back.”

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Franco Caution posted:

I rag on the Twins but I also feel the same way about the Miata. I think it drives and feels better but yeah about 250-265ish HP and it would be in my garage.

I bought a 2016 BRZ last week and I think everything about is good but the motor does not fit the car, and mine has all of the good stuff done to it that eliminates the torque dip and adds more power.

The problem with the motor is that it does not feel inclined to rev or light on its feet the way a smaller inline 4 should feel. Put a K20 or K24 into it and it'd be a better car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrYenko posted:

In 2013 I went to three VW dealers looking for a JSW diesel with a 6spd, and the reaction was either “I didn’t even know we made those, how about we look at GTIs,” or “we don’t do special orders, here’s a beige JSW with the gas engine and an automatic what do you mean you’re not interested come back.”

I think this is super regional. In my neighborhood in PA, Golf wagons were everywhere and seemed extremely popular. Here in CO, the VW wagons seem much rarer, but 4Runners are like cabs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I nearly bought a diesel manual Passat but they wouldn't go below MSRP so I went and bought a hybrid Accord.

3 months later dieselgate happened. I basically woulda had a free Passat for like 2 years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Godzilla07 posted:

Dieselgate likely killed the Golf wagon in the U.S. The most recent number I could find was that the Golf wagon had an 80% diesel take rate prior to Dieselgate.

It not for the diesel gate fuckery it would have died far sooner because if it actually met emissions standards performance and fuel economy would have suffered (see CX-5)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i like the nd miata bc I can floor it around a corner in 2nd. Anything more powerful would have a non-negligible chance of pedestrian bowling

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Frond posted:

The 4th gen Supra is a bland blob which looks worse than both the SW MR2 and ST185 Celica, and 3rd Gen Supra (which are all actually 80s cars), not to mention the FD RX-7. The Z31 looks better than the S130 and later S30s. The Z32 (again, 80s car) looks better than every other Z. The first gen RX-7 is a 1970s design, the 2nd gen RX-7 is an extremely attractive car - better looking than the car it knocks off, the 944, even the base models (the base model 944 looks dumpy and weird).

I disagree with you on the Supra, but man, the FD RX-7 is like one of the sexiest loving cars ever made. Of course it's sexier than the MkIV Supra. And I love the MkIV Supra.

I feel the same way about the SW20, but it's still not in the league of the RX7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Coredump posted:

Funny thing is the frame rails in the front of the BRZ are so wide to accommodate the FA20 that a Coyote fits in the engine bay.
I wonder how many LSx twins there are out there. Probably messes with the balance, but...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
More than a few, it is too much power to use for the majority of drivers (probably everyone).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I think Breaking Bad brought it to prominence again too. Otherwise it would’ve been swept away with other ugly oddities like the Isuzu Vehicross or whatever.

Not even the product placement in Dark Angel could save it the first time around.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look in the 70s I was promised cars powered by sex and I can’t even buy a Prius ranger thanks Biden.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

got off on a technicality posted:

My 2021 TT RS doesn't even have start/stop :smugdog:
Neither does my 2019 RS 5. Audi doesn’t put start/stop on the RS cars.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Part of me is excited at the idea of an electric or hybrid Miata.
The other part of me things Mazda will do some weird poo poo where the electric motor only powers 1 wheel. Or it gets 72 miles of range.

I know people engine swap older Miatas all the time. Are people doing similar with the ND? Maybe I wait for those to come way down eventually and go that route.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a start stop system that only activates if you push down the brake hard, like some auto holds do? I wouldn't mind that at all, I'd want that even. It just was annoying when it would do while trying to do an unprotected left :P

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Manual cars only turn it on when you're in neutral at a stop. Which is why I don't mind it at all on the RS. (also mine doesn't activate 90% of the time either - I think it's very sensitive to oil temperature because it tends to start working after I've been driving a while)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My M3 has a button that turns it off and remembers that it's off. It's nice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charles posted:

Is there a start stop system that only activates if you push down the brake hard, like some auto holds do? I wouldn't mind that at all, I'd want that even. It just was annoying when it would do while trying to do an unprotected left :P

That's how the Mazda system works with the automatic transmission.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
My mom's got some Mercedes SUV that you can't turn the stop-start feature off on, it's always doing that poo poo and gently caress you just deal with it. The new TLX I just got you can set up a profile that never uses it, and if you use either of the two Sport profiles it's off by default. Also it's got some button you can press to disable until the next time you shut the whole thing down. Doesn't bother me too much when it's active if in I'm just putzing around, the car seems to get it pretty ok but I hate the idea of just jamming the gas while oil pressure is nil cause the drat thing ain't turning at all, so I hates it as well. Just seems like a bad idea to save on fuel at the expense of the expensive-to-replace bits inside the engine, like bearings. What I do like is there's also a button you can press that'll lock the brakes until you hit the gas.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it.....I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

dissss posted:

The Mazda diesel is a very, very good engine as far as driving it goes but it couldn't be reasonably made to meet US emissions standards (at least not without VW style fuckery). It's also somewhat fragile and very expensive to repair when it goes wrong (then so is every other modern diesel).
So what you're saying is that they're not that great. :v:

mobby_6kl posted:

Volvo has/had a diesel hybrid. No idea if it's any good though.
It's not great. Iirc they share the battery cooling with the weak rear end AC compressor that they've had for ages and when it dies, the whole car dies.

To clarify: they run that tiny compressor far too often and it's part that was designed for the P80 Volvo. It's not going to last if the car gets used in the city / electric mode.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 25, 2021

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

dissss posted:

The French used to do a few but even at the time they made little sense and now with diesel being a dead end they don't even bother.

That said it wouldn't surprise me if Mazda gives it a go, the above poster may be joking but it's exactly the sort of exasperating thing modern Mazda might do.
Eh, not really. The only diesel hybrid is the 2018? V60 D6 that has the driven wheels always powered / assisted by the electric motor.

Mitsubishi and Citreon have had their own version of "diesel-electirc", but they're SUVs where the back wheels are driven by electricity. In pure EV mode they're RWD, but given the weak batteries they can only do 10-40 mi max. If you stomp the gas it uses ICE to power the front wheels.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It looks less poo poo in black.

https://twitter.com/laffey_chino/status/1430499285716463621?s=20

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Scionix posted:

Don't love the > < on the hood but otherwise that thing looks great

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

KillHour posted:

Manual cars only turn it on when you're in neutral at a stop. Which is why I don't mind it at all on the RS. (also mine doesn't activate 90% of the time either - I think it's very sensitive to oil temperature because it tends to start working after I've been driving a while)

Oil/Motor temp plays a role for sure, but with my 1.0 Ecoboost, Start/Stop functions as soon as there is any temperature in the motor at all.
The most likely suspect for Start/Stop not working is the climate control (perhaps also strong heating?) - if the climate control is set relatively low or it is relatively warm outside, Start/Stop does not switch off the motor at a stop in neutral. (You can switch on the motor by decreasing the setpoint temp of the climate control when Start/Stop has stopped the motor...)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I bought a 2016 BRZ last week and I think everything about is good but the motor does not fit the car, and mine has all of the good stuff done to it that eliminates the torque dip and adds more power.

The problem with the motor is that it does not feel inclined to rev or light on its feet the way a smaller inline 4 should feel. Put a K20 or K24 into it and it'd be a better car.

Word? I've been looking at BRZ's pretty steadily for several years now. The pandemic sent prices through the roof though. Do you mind to say how many miles and how much you manage to snag it for? I like the 2016 -2013's as they don't have the screen in the dash. That screen seems so tacked on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been really tempted to sell my BRZ now at peak prices and buy a new one sometime next year, not like I absolutely need to have two cars at the moment.

But then I drive it and I don't want to get rid of it without replacing it with something more of the same(or better).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I've been really tempted to sell my BRZ now at peak prices and buy a new one sometime next year, not like I absolutely need to have two cars at the moment.

But then I drive it and I don't want to get rid of it without replacing it with something more of the same(or better).

Get a $5k miata to tide you over :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't fit in Miatas. I also couldn't be less interested in a convertible in SW PA.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Get a $5k miata to tide you over :v:

Literally have that car in my saved list on autotrader.

ilkhan posted:

I wonder how many LSx twins there are out there. Probably messes with the balance, but...

Vorshlag has a pretty in-depth LSX BRZ development thread including weighing the car before and after.
https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/for...elopment-thread
https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-v8-swap-talk/engine-swap-discussions/7104-vorshlag-scion-fr-s-lsx-alpha-project
Stock they weighed it 2775 total with 1550 front 1225 rear. That should be 55.8 front 44.2 rear for weight balance with FA20. After the LSX was put in weight went up to 2816 lbs with 1591 on the front and 1225 rear. So the ratio changed to 56.5 front / 43.5 rear. Time for a heavier rear diff, carbon hood, and trunk battery.

Lookit all dat space.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 25, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’ve forced myself to drive with auto start/stop and it was okay, I guess.

The engineer in me says that there is no way that starting and stoping the engine isn’t more stress on the system than letting it run at idle though. So, I’m not generally willing to sacrifice reliability (repair costs) for a minuscule amount of fuel savings and emissions reductions.

Maybe if I were leasing and I was primarily concerned with lowered operating costs I would feel different but I plan on at least 10 years of ownership.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Murgos posted:

The engineer in me says that there is no way that starting and stoping the engine isn’t more stress on the system than letting it run at idle though. So, I’m not generally willing to sacrifice reliability (repair costs) for a minuscule amount of fuel savings and emissions reductions.

Maybe if I were leasing and I was primarily concerned with lowered operating costs I would feel different but I plan on at least 10 years of ownership.

Start/Stop sucks and I wish there was a way to forever disable it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

Start/Stop sucks and I wish there was a way to forever disable it.

you can code it out in pretty much every car through the OBD2 port

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

It's about a 10% difference in fuel economy if you live anywhere with traffic. That's a huge difference, especially multiplied over the massive number of cars in the US. Start/stop should be legally mandated and you should fail inspection if you disable it :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

China is doing the PT Cruiser thing!

https://twitter.com/GregKable/status/1430195924547031044?s=20

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That looks absurdly terrible.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

That's how the Mazda system works with the automatic transmission.

Ah, the Mazda 3 I test drove didn't have it, and the salesperson said that Mazda didn't have any, but they were pretty much the textbook definition of slimeball salesperson so I haven't verified it doesn't exist on any model in the U.S..

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Scionix posted:

Hot drat that looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

It's about a 10% difference in fuel economy if you live anywhere with traffic. That's a huge difference, especially multiplied over the massive number of cars in the US. Start/stop should be legally mandated and you should fail inspection if you disable it :colbert:

the other thing is ground level pollutants and CO2 in cities, it's very good for urban air quality.