Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Stereotype posted:

they have the denominator wrong. everyone is doing it, it's infuriating and we talk about it here constantly.

"-0.15% of those who were fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine tested positive for COVID" means they are dividing the number who tested positive by everyone who has been vaccinated whether they have been exposed or not. it is identical to saying that, if you get in a car accident, your risk of dying is the number of traffic deaths in a year divided by the total number of trips taken by all Americans in a year, which is also a super low number but is clearly wrong. the real denominator should be how many vaccinated people caught the virus after they were exposed. no one knows that number though, so they just use the bullshit statistic because it looks good.

Ok, that was a concept I wasn't grasping earlier - that makes a lot of sense, thank you. With no contact tracing, it means you can't really keep track of the people who don't get it, because they have no reason to go and check. It'd only be with constant tracking of every infected person and every vaccinated person they come into contact with, and testing all parties, that it'd be possible to tell, so those numbers are pretty meaningless. Is that the takeaway from this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Someone should test that against covid then. It resulted in immensely gross, but fun, video footage.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Seems like if we just implanted a chip into everyone we could track all the infected. Heehe heheh ehehhehea hMUWHAHAHAHA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/drnorriscamacho/status/1430190977910718466?s=21

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
well those that don’t mandate are also gonna have a sweet way to jack up employees insurance premiums as if they were a smoker

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Stereotype posted:

they have the denominator wrong. everyone is doing it, it's infuriating and we talk about it here constantly.

"-0.15% of those who were fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine tested positive for COVID" means they are dividing the number who tested positive by everyone who has been vaccinated whether they have been exposed or not. it is identical to saying that, if you get in a car accident, your risk of dying is the number of traffic deaths in a year divided by the total number of trips taken by all Americans in a year, which is also a super low number but is clearly wrong. the real denominator should be how many vaccinated people caught the virus after they were exposed. no one knows that number though, so they just use the bullshit statistic because it looks good.

What's the total number of unvaxxed people worldwide compared to the number of hospitalizations? I bet it's equally low and equally meaningless

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Shear Modulus posted:

the horse paste saga is the funniest poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Its funny how right wingers live in perpetual fear of lockdowns that will never happen. Whatever justifies their role playing as oppressed people I guess

This is the most gaslighting thing of all this poo poo. We can't go back into lockdowns!!! wtf are you talking about you country palate applebees motherfucker.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the Old God pathogens sealed by the forces of the cosmos into the permafrost are going to make roni look as scary as the creepy crawlers commercial

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwATF5dnfq4

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Ok, that was a concept I wasn't grasping earlier - that makes a lot of sense, thank you. With no contact tracing, it means you can't really keep track of the people who don't get it, because they have no reason to go and check. It'd only be with constant tracking of every infected person and every vaccinated person they come into contact with, and testing all parties, that it'd be possible to tell, so those numbers are pretty meaningless. Is that the takeaway from this?

yeah, without contact tracing it is nearly impossible to tell if the vaccinated are contributing to spread at all. we basically gave up doing any sort of studies on how covid spreads through the population because we don't want to know the answer. not knowing anything just lets people who want to do nothing say "well do you have a double blind peer reviewed study that proves for sure that your mitigation strategy does anything?!?" and since there's no money to do that none exist, so then we just have to do nothing.

other countries are doing it though, and vaccinated people spread covid, possibly just as well as unvaccinated people. it's a catastrophe but that would mean we have to do something, so those studies aren't good enough and we actually have to do nothing until we get more science.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmao that they took Cummo's fake Emmy away

my prediction: they're going to retroactively award it to fauci

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nothus posted:

Yes, it's supposed to get rid of allergies and auto-immune diseases.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol this poo poo is loving insane bro, people don't give a gently caress or are even aware anything is happening, young people are getting smokified daily and people are going blind from horse paste. i need a nap lmfao hell yeah dude

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Substandard posted:

What's the total number of unvaxxed people worldwide compared to the number of hospitalizations? I bet it's equally low and equally meaningless

the vast majority of lightning bolts don't hit people which is why golfing in a thunderstorm is fine.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
personally I’m holding out for the grape flavored paste

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Stereotype posted:

yeah, without contact tracing it is nearly impossible to tell if the vaccinated are contributing to spread at all. we basically gave up doing any sort of studies on how covid spreads through the population because we don't want to know the answer. not knowing anything just lets people who want to do nothing say "well do you have a double blind peer reviewed study that proves for sure that your mitigation strategy does anything?!?" and since there's no money to do that none exist, so then we just have to do nothing.

other countries are doing it though, and vaccinated people spread covid, possibly just as well as unvaccinated people. it's a catastrophe but that would mean we have to do something, so those studies aren't good enough and we actually have to do nothing until we get more science.

i think the viral loads are starting to suggest that vaccinated people spread it slightly less well than vaccinated people, but the problem is because everyone is arguing in bad faith the fact that everything is a relative decrease or increase in risk gets lost in the ether

even very smart people who should know better are presenting things like binaries and it really sucks

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shear Modulus posted:

my prediction: they're going to retroactively award it to fauci

would be a good way to prop up kamala a bit more. maybe a nobel peace prize for visiting that border town one time.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Google Butt posted:

lol this poo poo is loving insane bro, people don't give a gently caress or are even aware anything is happening, young people are getting smokified daily and people are going blind from horse paste. i need a nap lmfao hell yeah dude

ping

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Ivermectin is a false flag so, the government can confiscate all the hydroxychloroquine :freep:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvGNbCA8zlM

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

you are probably less of a typhoid mary if you are vaccinated

but you still could probably kill your unvaccinated immunocompromised friend, cousin, family member, etc.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

just skipped 1200 posts to ask this one...

My pay is being docked for missing work due to covid quarantine, which is hosed because they're saying I missed 5 days (it was more like 5.5), although we're allotted 10 sick days for covid (per email from the boss - a while ago, at the end of December).

To top that off, company has received 2 PPP loans, each around 300k for our staff.

The gently caress?

Is that legal?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

AppleNippleBOB posted:

My pay is being docked for missing work due to covid quarantine, which is hosed because they're saying I missed 5 days (it was more like 5.5), although we're allotted 10 sick days for covid (per email from the boss - a while ago, at the end of December).

To top that off, company has received 2 PPP loans, each around 300k for our staff.

The gently caress?

Is that legal?

your primary recourse is likely to quit unless you have a union

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

The gently caress?

Is that legal?

Call a local lawyer.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

AppleNippleBOB posted:

The gently caress?

Is that legal?

it probably isn't but i don't know how you do anything about it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

This is the most gaslighting thing of all this poo poo. We can't go back into lockdowns!!! wtf are you talking about you country palate applebees motherfucker.

I don't think any of us can realistically predict what will happen as the government and society begin to literally and spectacularly crumble around us. I mean I said it before but like, no matter where you fall on the doom or optimism spectrum, I think we can all agree that the current status quo in America is not sustainable. If things continue as they are, and they will barring either some miracle or NPI action by the government, the nation will simply collapse as bodies pile up in the streets and things reach the-opening-vignette-about-the-place-in-the-Decameron levels of hosed.
And as utterly inept and toothless as our government is, I think at some point between now and 'people literally tripping over the dead and the dying on their way to and from work' they will be forced to enact a lockdown or something. The status quo of 'do nothing while the virus runs wild' is literally not sustainable. Either some sort of miraculous new vaccine or therapeutic is developed, or far more likely things get so loving horrific that even Biden is forced to do something meaningful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/spaceforcecad/status/1430277403021086725?s=21

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

Call a local lawyer.
You might have to call multiple! Dealt with workplace shenanigans a few years back, first two lawyers kind of threw their hands up and said the law was too weak to do anything, but the third one knew what he was doing and things worked out.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stereotype posted:

the vast majority of lightning bolts don't hit people which is why golfing in a thunderstorm is fine.

also the vast majority of people who are struck by lightning survive the ordeal

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Schnorkles posted:

i think the viral loads are starting to suggest that vaccinated people spread it slightly less well than vaccinated people, but the problem is because everyone is arguing in bad faith the fact that everything is a relative decrease or increase in risk gets lost in the ether

even very smart people who should know better are presenting things like binaries and it really sucks

just consider the difference between now and a few months ago. vaccines went from IMMUNITY to YOU MIGHT NOT DIE. what do the next few months bring 🤔

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1430231351362469891?s=21

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1430287902504800257?s=21

huh these posts seem to be coming more often for some reason??

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AppleNippleBOB posted:

The gently caress?

Is that legal?

insofar as 'legal' is defined as 'anything nobody will stop you from doing or punish you for' yes it is probably legal

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AppleNippleBOB posted:

The gently caress?

Is that legal?

you live in America, of course it's legal

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Der Meister posted:

just consider the difference between now and a few months ago. vaccines went from IMMUNITY to YOU MIGHT NOT DIE. what do the next few months bring 🤔

some of us have been beating the 92-94% efficacy is not immunity drum for awhile now

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

mmm...bots. horse stomach if you can stomach it:

papa horny michael posted:

Wasn't there a thing with people intentionally going on vacations to africa to infect their feet and legs with, like, guinea worms to fight off other health issues they had

it was hookworms. guinea worms were almost eradicated (filter out water fleas from drinking water), but then they found them in the local dog population, whoops!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
BNO often posts twice, just gotta wait for the evening number

https://twitter.com/drjeannem/status/1430270257004904449?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't think any of us can realistically predict what will happen as the government and society begin to literally and spectacularly crumble around us. I mean I said it before but like, no matter where you fall on the doom or optimism spectrum, I think we can all agree that the current status quo in America is not sustainable. If things continue as they are, and they will barring either some miracle or NPI action by the government, the nation will simply collapse as bodies pile up in the streets and things reach the-opening-vignette-about-the-place-in-the-Decameron levels of hosed.
And as utterly inept and toothless as our government is, I think at some point between now and 'people literally tripping over the dead and the dying on their way to and from work' they will be forced to enact a lockdown or something. The status quo of 'do nothing while the virus runs wild' is literally not sustainable. Either some sort of miraculous new vaccine or therapeutic is developed, or far more likely things get so loving horrific that even Biden is forced to do something meaningful.

the thing that speaks against this is that there were literally dead bodies in the street in India and riots at hospitals and nothing about the political order there has particularly changed.