Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Firebert posted:

Did I miss something about GotG Vol. 3 not following up on their post-credit scene from 2? Seems like that's where they were heading.

It did, I'm just not hopeful on them following up on it. But I would love to be wrong! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Firebert posted:

Did I miss something about GotG Vol. 3 not following up on their post-credit scene from 2? Seems like that's where they were heading.

I think there was a tweet from Gunn at some point saying that was just a throw-in and wasn't the direction he was planning on taking Vol. 3. But who knows.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
When the multiverse gets in full swing, will the main universe be called the MCU and the multiverse something different like MCMU? I guess typically Marvel uses numbers for universe names.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

AndyElusive posted:

What If...Joss Whedon never directed The Avengers?

Please, don't threaten me with a good time.

New clip! I haven't checked but is Frank Grillo doing his voice acting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSggmnmLYc

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Rappaport posted:

It did, I'm just not hopeful on them following up on it. But I would love to be wrong! :unsmith:

Is there much point in bringing Him into a post-infinity stone MCU, though? I like the character fine, but I really think that window has closed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yakmouth posted:

Is there much point in bringing Him into a post-infinity stone MCU, though? I like the character fine, but I really think that window has closed.

Let's be real here. Him, meh. But the FULL SPLENDOR AND GLORY OF DOOM? I want that injected straight into my veins. And purple horned Galactus, well, I would really want to see that adapted to the MCU in a way where he isn't climate change or whatever personified.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Desperado Bones posted:

Please, don't threaten me with a good time.

New clip! I haven't checked but is Frank Grillo doing his voice acting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSggmnmLYc

Yeah, Grillo is supposedly in a couple episodes this season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite part of that Spider-Man trailer (aside from ALFRED MOLINA IS BACK :woop:) is that Dr. Strange's spell working relied entirely on Spider-Man shutting his mouth for five seconds. SPIDER-MAN!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yakmouth posted:

I don't think we're really "post infinity stones". WandaVision kinda heavily hinted that the energy of the stones is still out there, Loki showed us there's a bunch around, and Eternals seems like its got Cellestials. I dunno if they're gonna be a major plot point or if there's anything for Warlock to do but I don't think Endgame takes them out of the equation by itself.

But I also assume he was mostly an easter egg so I have no idea if Gunn has any future plans for him and I'm pretty confident there's not larger MCU plans for him.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think we're really "post infinity stones". WandaVision kinda heavily hinted that the energy of the stones is still out there, Loki showed us there's a bunch around, and Eternals seems like its got Cellestials. I dunno if they're gonna be a major plot point or if there's anything for Warlock to do but I don't think Endgame takes them out of the equation by itself.

But I also assume he was mostly an easter egg so I have no idea if Gunn has any future plans for him and I'm pretty confident there's not larger MCU plans for him.

I thought the energy of the stones would coalesce again at some point (probably somewhere convenient to a future movie, if/when they want to revisit them). Since each "element" is intrinsic to the universe, if they were truly gone the universe would unravel, at least that's what I vaguely remember from what the Ancient One and Banner were talking about. Thanos destroyed them "down to their last atoms" but he didn't destroy their energy.

Or I'm talking out of my butt and when Loki returns to the movies he'll have a couple of them tucked in his pockets.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I forgot that Thanos crushed the Eye of Agamotto to get the stone out of it. I wonder what's the deal with that being back. I get that it doesn't light up green ever in the trailer, but still...

And yeah, there are lots of stones out there now that the multiverse is a thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As Nero Danced posted:

I thought the energy of the stones would coalesce again at some point (probably somewhere convenient to a future movie, if/when they want to revisit them). Since each "element" is intrinsic to the universe, if they were truly gone the universe would unravel, at least that's what I vaguely remember from what the Ancient One and Banner were talking about. Thanos destroyed them "down to their last atoms" but he didn't destroy their energy.

Or I'm talking out of my butt and when Loki returns to the movies he'll have a couple of them tucked in his pockets.

Yeah. Like I can see it becoming a thing where like the energy is all loose now. Wanda's got too much of it, Vision's "soul" is all wrapped up in some of it, maybe Captain Marvel has a hassle with hers. And maybe like the resolution is that Strange or the Eternals or someone has to recreate the stones (or just grab some from Loki's desk) to contain the energy or something.

But I dunno. I also am talking out of my butt.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of that Spider-Man trailer (aside from ALFRED MOLINA IS BACK :woop:) is that Dr. Strange's spell working relied entirely on Spider-Man shutting his mouth for five seconds. SPIDER-MAN!

It ain't called the "Parker luck" for nothin'

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mutata posted:

I forgot that Thanos crushed the Eye of Agamotto to get the stone out of it. I wonder what's the deal with that being back. I get that it doesn't light up green ever in the trailer, but still...

And yeah, there are lots of stones out there now that the multiverse is a thing.

I don't know if this is a thing in the MCU, but it's very much a point in the comics that although there are infinity stones in many universes, they're useless outside of their home reality, as their power is only over the intrinsic nature of their own universe.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think we're really "post infinity stones". WandaVision kinda heavily hinted that the energy of the stones is still out there, Loki showed us there's a bunch around, and Eternals seems like its got Celestials. I dunno if they're gonna be a major plot point or if there's anything for Warlock to do but I don't think Endgame takes them out of the equation by itself.

But I also assume he was mostly an Easter egg so I have no idea if Gunn has any future plans for him and I'm pretty confident there's not larger MCU plans for him.

I think that for the most part we are past them. The point of the Mind stone in WandaVision was that it didn't so much give Wanda her powers as that it revealed/unsealed them. It's why she still has powers after Thanos destroyed the Stones.

As for Loki, the big point of him finding those stones and other artifacts in somebody's junk drawer was to drive home "Yeah, we don't give nearly as much of a poo poo about the magic rocks as we used to."

Granted that there might be a scene with Loki knocked on Strange's door and tossing him a Time Stone with a "You're going to need this going forward" and Time Dooring out.

mutata posted:

Best guess? Strange headed to the Village, found some local metal-smith/craftsperson, freaked them out a little by showing them an illusion of the Eye and ask "How much will cost to make me that and how long will it take?" The whole point of the Eye was that it held the Time Stone. That's it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Strange is Mephisto

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Happy is Mephisto.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

I don't know if this is a thing in the MCU, but it's very much a point in the comics that although there are infinity stones in many universes, they're useless outside of their home reality, as their power is only over the intrinsic nature of their own universe.

Yeah they made a point to mention this in Loki

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

boz posted:

And in Endgame they use the stones from other timelines in their home timeline?? That doesn't quite compute for me

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

boz posted:

They don't. They only say they don't work IN the TVA. We still dunno if the stones can be taken and be given like candy. Remember that the MCU doesn't follow the comics to the letter.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Ah good points, my bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

And in Endgame they use the stones from other timelines in their home timeline?? That doesn't quite compute for me

The big thing in Endgame was that they were explicitly making a loop so that everything still happened in one timeline, with Bruce laying out to the Ancient One that by returning the stones to their original times/places after using them they wouldn't be branching to a new timeline. In Loki, the TVA claimed that the Avengers going back in time was MEANT to happen and that the only aberration was Loki escaping which they punished HIM for doing. So the stones were the exact same ones that Thanos would end up using to cause the snap, not knowing they'd already been used to undo it 5 years later (which makes him destroying them to prevent them from undoing what he did cause the Avengers to go back in time and successfully undo what he did in the first place!).

Tony explicitly telling Steve that they could use the stones to bring everybody back to NOW but not undo everything that happened in the last 5 years (and thus his daughter) was, unknown to him, the exact thing he probably needed to say to avoid TVA intervention from happening (also because that part of the MCU hasn't been written and didn't exist yet!).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, as far as dumbshit time travel babble goes, it's pretty ok. I can at least accept all that and move on. I'm surprised they've been able to do as much as they have with the time travel plots so far, frankly.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

For me, the difference between this latest Spidey movie and the Eternals is that this seems actually fun

I can't describe why but the Eternals just gives me a "this is going to be a slog" vibe, maybe the color palette, dunno

Although Suicide Squad 2 had a somewhat "serious" color palette and that was fun as heck

edit: ShangChi ain't much better in the "this looks entertaining" department, seems like a very standard movie but I'll wait until I see it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone posted:

I think that for the most part we are past them. The point of the Mind stone in WandaVision was that it didn't so much give Wanda her powers as that it revealed/unsealed them. It's why she still has powers after Thanos destroyed the Stones.
I think we're past them as the driving force of the MCU for sure. But I wouldn't be surprised to see their energy keep popping up and then a few years down the line have an Infinity Crusade Disney+ show or Doctor Strange 3 or Eternals 2 or Guardians 5 or something where some group of heroes are trying to "reset the balance" or something.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Barreft posted:

Strange is Mephisto

mutata posted:

Happy is Mephisto.

You thought the M in MCU stood for Marvel?

Everyone is Mephisto.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

For me, the difference between this latest Spidey movie and the Eternals is that this seems actually fun

I can't describe why but the Eternals just gives me a "this is going to be a slog" vibe, maybe the color palette, dunno

I can't really tell what it's about. Is there a villain? Someone or something they're fighting or trying to prevent? What are the conflicts between the characters, exactly? Something something deviants, I guess? Without any of that being clear, I can't really grab ahold of any stakes, like there's nothing for me to care about.

I imagine it'll work in the movie, and hopefully it won't just be a three hour documentary on the history of the Eternals hanging out with humanity throughout history without ever really getting involved, but the trailers give a little bit of that vibe. And then at the end they team up and blow up an army of CG chitauri ultrons deviants. But, the trailers have been pretty vague so far.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I can't really tell what it's about. Is there a villain? Someone or something they're fighting or trying to prevent? What are the conflicts between the characters, exactly? Something something deviants, I guess? Without any of that being clear, I can't really grab ahold of any stakes, like there's nothing for me to care about.

I imagine it'll work in the movie, and hopefully it won't just be a three hour documentary on the history of the Eternals hanging out with humanity throughout history without ever really getting involved, but the trailers give a little bit of that vibe. And then at the end they team up and blow up an army of CG chitauri ultrons deviants. But, the trailers have been pretty vague so far.

Maybe they'll confront the Celestial(?) that gave them the no-interference order? Other than that I got nothing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, the seemingly intentional vagueness of what the point is keeps me intrigued that they're hiding something. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe its just a dull idea they know is dull so they're being vague and I'm just rationalizing. But the Eternals feel a little too random and a little too linked to Thanos/Infinity Stons that I'm looking for the unexplained second act twist.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barreft posted:

Strange is Mephisto

I share this theory and also have an evidence free supposition that Shang-Chi, No Way Home, and Dr. Strange 2 all take place in the same week like a new take on "Fury's Big Week" block of movies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barreft posted:

Strange is Mephisto
There was a sign somebody held about the devil being in disguise, Strange looks like the Villain of the flick from the trailer, they're doing One More Day, where Mephisto was the villain, and Strange's house was all snowy which seems like a play on the whole "cold day in hell" idiom.

I didn't think Mephisto had anything to do with WandaVision at any point, but it seems pretty air tight here, whether literally or just thematically.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Mephisto, Yoda is.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I honestly never knew so many people gave a poo poo about Mephisto until this year when people wouldn't stop bringing him up.

I wish there was online betting on which characters will be mentioned/appear in upcoming movies. I just want to see the odds. Then I can know when the time is right to start pushing Mister Sinister theories nonstop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What if it’s actually Bono’s “MacPhisto” persona?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

XboxPants posted:

I’m 100% confident that Eternals is going to have a more or less typical superhero plot, complete with a 3rd act CGI final confrontation. I’m also expecting the usual suspects to rag on it for being nothing more than bog-standard ‘capeshit’, regardless of the quality of the film. A also expect I’ll enjoy it because I’m a Neanderthal who likes pretty much everything marvel makes.

But I do think it could be cool (and box office suicide) if this was the film that broke away from the norm and was just about a bunch of immortal Demi-gods floating through history and dealing with the trauma of knowing they could stop all these catastrophic events, if only they were allowed to step in. How do they cope? How do they interact with humanity over the millennia? There are some excellent films that deal with themes like that, and Zhao is exactly the kind of director to pull it off.

It’ll never happen, of course. But would it really be terrible if it did?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ror posted:

I honestly never knew so many people gave a poo poo about Mephisto until this year when people wouldn't stop bringing him up.

I wish there was online betting on which characters will be mentioned/appear in upcoming movies. I just want to see the odds. Then I can know when the time is right to start pushing Mister Sinister theories nonstop.

I don't think it reflects some deep Mephisto fandom so much as just the fact that WandaVision and No Way Home take from stories featuring Mephisto and have the room for people to speculate about him playing games. If the next thing they show us is a FF trailer with Doom reaching into hell then they're either setting up the next big bad or intentionally loving with us.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yakmouth posted:

I’m 100% confident that Eternals is going to have a more or less typical superhero plot, complete with a 3rd act CGI final confrontation. I’m also expecting the usual suspects to rag on it for being nothing more than bog-standard ‘capeshit’, regardless of the quality of the film. A also expect I’ll enjoy it because I’m a Neanderthal who likes pretty much everything marvel makes.

But I do think it could be cool (and box office suicide) if this was the film that broke away from the norm and was just about a bunch of immortal Demi-gods floating through history and dealing with the trauma of knowing they could stop all these catastrophic events, if only they were allowed to step in. How do they cope? How do they interact with humanity over the millennia? There are some excellent films that deal with themes like that, and Zhao is exactly the kind of director to pull it off.

It’ll never happen, of course. But would it really be terrible if it did?

No, not at all. At the very least it would be visually entertaining. I welcome some less down to earth, more conceptual, cosmic poo poo like this. I was just saying that, for the poster who felt Eternals looked kinda meh but they weren't really able to express why, that I think this may be why. We don't really have anything to connect with emotionally yet. But, give it time. I'm sure we'll start hearing a lot more after Shang Chi.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think it reflects some deep Mephisto fandom so much as just the fact that WandaVision and No Way Home take from stories featuring Mephisto and have the room for people to speculate about him playing games. If the next thing they show us is a FF trailer with Doom reaching into hell then they're either setting up the next big bad or intentionally loving with us.

Interesting note, while looking up Eternals info on who the villain is speculated to be, toy leaks indicate that it will be Kro. I didn't know who that is but I guess he's the Deviant who has, in human history, masqueraded as the Devil, Satan, Pluto, etc. And just straight up looks like The Devil.

Well, I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's actually Mephisto in disguise even though they refer to him as Kro

No I'm not being serious

Mephisto! :argh:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

:siren: New What If episode should be hitting around now, so here's your spoiler warning! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wow, this person sounds nothing like ScarJo.