Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
This exists:
Ryobi strip sander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well yes, but what if I want to electrocute-abrade myself using just one semi-finished tool?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Trabant posted:

I watched a guy on YouTube modify an angle grinder (or really its guard) into a power file, then looked up what commercial products are out there because a grinder's guard seems like an ill-advised choice for a mounting point.

Anyway, I know that Amazon is the wild west of fly-by-night toolmakers, but I've never seen something quite so DIY for sale:

moter

When you're too old to reach your toenails anymore

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have a preferred, high-quality tap and die set? Cost isn't necessarily a huge concern, would rather have something that will last (at least until I snap the taps off in something) and has a pretty good selection of freedom thread sizes. Thanks!

ROJO fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 21, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does anyone have one of those hanging lanterns that run off a drill battery and use a 9W compact fluoro tube?
I was considering getting one or two for camping but am not sure whether they are worth anything compared to a cheap chinese LED.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Most of those use cheap chinese leds instead of florescent tubes these days. What color batteries are you using?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

~Coxy posted:

Does anyone have one of those hanging lanterns that run off a drill battery and use a 9W compact fluoro tube?
I was considering getting one or two for camping but am not sure whether they are worth anything compared to a cheap chinese LED.

If you happen to use M18 batteries already, I absolutely love these things:

This one also has a USB outlet and can direct the beam to project 180-360°.

I'm not sure of the USB current rating but it charges the phone decently fast.

This one is also good, but I use it less often than the lantern. That said, when I want to work under a car its ratcheting head is really really good for that.

I think combined they were less than $100. I tend to buy M18 refurbished whenever eBay has 10-25% off refurb deals. Has done well for me so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As someone sitting at home without power for the last 24 hours and looking at probably no power for the next couple of days I would strongly suggest picking up your flavor of tool battery version of an LED light source as well as a radio.

I have plenty of storm prep stuff and we're in good shape but I have a whole ton of DeWalt batteries that are sitting around charged up that could be used for stuff like this. Definitely wish I had these at the moment.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

As someone sitting at home without power for the last 24 hours and looking at probably no power for the next couple of days I would strongly suggest picking up your flavor of tool battery version of an LED light source as well as a radio.

I have plenty of storm prep stuff and we're in good shape but I have a whole ton of DeWalt batteries that are sitting around charged up that could be used for stuff like this. Definitely wish I had these at the moment.
If you happen to be team ugly green, you can get an inverter to charge your USB devices and power low-wattage items.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-150-Watt-Power-Inverter-for-ONE-18V-Battery-Tool-Only-RYi150BG/308460871

Or, if you're team ugly green lawn equipment, you can have a 300 watt one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40V-300-Watt-Power-Inverter-Tool-Only-RYi300BG/308736685

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

If you happen to be team ugly green, you can get an inverter to charge your USB devices and power low-wattage items.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-150-Watt-Power-Inverter-for-ONE-18V-Battery-Tool-Only-RYi150BG/308460871

Or, if you're team ugly green lawn equipment, you can have a 300 watt one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40V-300-Watt-Power-Inverter-Tool-Only-RYi300BG/308736685

He wants to be on team generator.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a generator, just using it sparingly to keep the freezer cold and the well water pumped.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

That Works posted:

Speaking of a ton of DeWalt batteries, I just grabbed a pack of these today. 4 pack of batteries, $170 off down to $150. Seems like a great deal (I hope) if you can find them in a store near you, because lol they wanted loving $80 if I chose to get delivery.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

I have a generator, just using it sparingly to keep the freezer cold and the well water pumped.
Same here. Generator is for a few key circuits like the well pump, fridges, and furnace blower. It's pretty great having a battery power source for other little things, so A+ recommend on something that lets you turn the dozens to scores of amp hours in batteries most of us have sitting around in our garages into something useful during a power outage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MRC48B posted:

Most of those use cheap chinese leds instead of florescent tubes these days. What color batteries are you using?

Yeah, sorry, I'm kind of tossing up between the two.
I have Hitachi (HiKoki) power tools which is pretty limiting in the variety of skins you can obtain.
Specifically the lantern is presumably an older model that uses a fluoro.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey team neon green! Question about the One+ lawnmowers that Ryobi offers, like how powerful are they? I'm in the market for a new lawnmower... and in the past(and the future I'm sure) I have let my lawn get a little overgrown, and am wondering how powerful the One+ models are. Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

Hey team neon green! Question about the One+ lawnmowers that Ryobi offers, like how powerful are they? I'm in the market for a new lawnmower... and in the past(and the future I'm sure) I have let my lawn get a little overgrown, and am wondering how powerful the One+ models are. Thanks!

It serves us fine, though we haven't had enough rain this year for our lawn ever to get notably overgrown. We got a sweet package deal for the mower + a chainsaw and we're happy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

It serves us fine, though we haven't had enough rain this year for our lawn ever to get notably overgrown. We got a sweet package deal for the mower + a chainsaw and we're happy.

Yeah they've got a deal for the mower, a string trimmer, AND another battery/charger combo that I'm heavily eyeing. It goes up to a 4" height so I think I should be fine..

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We talking the 18v or the 40v? I have to imagine the the 18v is wimpy for all but the smallest lawns. I have the cheapest 40v mower, trimmer, blower, and chainsaw and they've all done me well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I actually do have a small and wimpy lawn, lol. POs did heavy landscaping so I really only have a small wedge shaped front, and a few thin strips in the back.

I'm going to borrow a friend's 40v soon to see how well it does then go from there. I'm thinking if I can not be a fuckin sloth about mowing the 18v will do me just fine.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Mine will choke a little bit if I let the lawn get really long or near the end of the battery charge, but it does OK on a relatively small lawn. It's also not hard to restart, since you just press a button, not rev an engine like a gas mower.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Johnny Truant posted:

I actually do have a small and wimpy lawn, lol. POs did heavy landscaping so I really only have a small wedge shaped front, and a few thin strips in the back.

I'm going to borrow a friend's 40v soon to see how well it does then go from there. I'm thinking if I can not be a fuckin sloth about mowing the 18v will do me just fine.
The 40v will do just fine on a lawn as small as yours sounds. Depending on the length of the grass, I get 20 to 35 minutes of mowing off a 5 amp hour battery. No experience with the 18v mower.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

NomNomNom posted:

We talking the 18v or the 40v? I have to imagine the the 18v is wimpy for all but the smallest lawns. I have the cheapest 40v mower, trimmer, blower, and chainsaw and they've all done me well.

Danhenge posted:

Mine will choke a little bit if I let the lawn get really long or near the end of the battery charge, but it does OK on a relatively small lawn. It's also not hard to restart, since you just press a button, not rev an engine like a gas mower.

I have this 40V one and it is terrible for what I needed. That said, I have thick weedy grass and a lot of trees on a fairly big lawn. It takes 3 complete battery charges of the included battery to mow roughly 0.25 acres. Out of the box it would intermittently start/stop because of an improperly tightened pushing handle, though once I tightened it its been fine. It absolutely sucks to push on a hot summer day, and compared to my M18 batteries, the charging is slow as gently caress. The ejection chute loves to get jammed, the bagging never gets more than half full before its not cutting as well due to getting loaded up. It also doesnt mulch down weeds and small sticks well.

I ended up getting a used ride on and it was the right choice. If you have a small lawn that is just grass and concrete, it could be fine for that.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I have the same 40V one and for the most part I like it. It works great in early spring and late summer. Mid summer, when it gets really fuckin hot n wet, it starts eating batteries. I have one of the big batteries that the mower came with and a couple smaller ones, and I can usually get through my suburban lawn on the biggun and one smaller one. Then I still have one small one for the string trimmer, which I actually like quite a bit.

When it’s cooler out, and the grass is dryer, I’ve been able to do the whole yard one just the big battery. Early on I did some comparison of running it with the grass bag, the side ejector, and the mulching plug. I havent been able to tell a difference in battery life.

YMMV. I think it’s needs-suiting but it’s probably dependent on your climate and grass.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do they still sell the hybrid one that takes 2 18v batteries and you can plug it in if needed? Because that works for me, I put it on the highest setting to take down the overgrown lawn when it got to like 8" tall then went back over it on the middle setting a day later and it didn't struggle.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Is the bosch 18v 90 degree drill actually $200 or is it just discontinuedcand my searches are turning up weird/scammy listings?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do they still sell the hybrid one that takes 2 18v batteries and you can plug it in if needed? Because that works for me, I put it on the highest setting to take down the overgrown lawn when it got to like 8" tall then went back over it on the middle setting a day later and it didn't struggle.

Man if I had a plug-if needed option, I’d be set.

Ngl I’m tempted to make one using an off-the-shelf 40V psu.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vim Fuego posted:

Is the bosch 18v 90 degree drill actually $200 or is it just discontinuedcand my searches are turning up weird/scammy listings?

Weird scammers that look legit and pop up first in your google search with low, low prices are becoming a thing. The loving hemorrhoids, may they all get a bosch 90 degree drill up their asses.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's the functional difference between 21º and 34º air nailers? I need to do some first-fix framing and I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy. Apparently 90x3.15mm nails are the right kind for this? Is there also a functional difference between full-head and D-cut?

Edit: probably firing something like these, though presumably a different form if using a different angle nailer:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacwise-11...B0069IT0ZI&th=1

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
At least here in America, Code enforcement doesn't like d-head nails.

I use a https://www.metabo-hpt.com/us/main-navigation/item/nr90ad(s1)-3-1-2-paper-collated-framing-nailer-Metabo-HPT

21 degree is plastic collated, which means the gun shoots plastic bits everywhere, and they often bounce back into your face. Plastic collated nails are the cheapest.

Originally, paper guns were only shot d-head nails. but they make offset head nails for them now. paper nails tend to cost the most, but I'm not a contractor, so I don't use enough to matter. The steeper angle improves access in tight spaces.

The 28 degree wire guns can shoot little bits of wire around, or leave them sticking out from the nailhead. The nail strips are more durable and cheaper than paper.

Paper seems like the way to go.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LightRailTycoon posted:

At least here in America, Code enforcement doesn't like d-head nails.

I use a https://www.metabo-hpt.com/us/main-navigation/item/nr90ad(s1)-3-1-2-paper-collated-framing-nailer-Metabo-HPT

21 degree is plastic collated, which means the gun shoots plastic bits everywhere, and they often bounce back into your face. Plastic collated nails are the cheapest.

Originally, paper guns were only shot d-head nails. but they make offset head nails for them now. paper nails tend to cost the most, but I'm not a contractor, so I don't use enough to matter. The steeper angle improves access in tight spaces.

The 28 degree wire guns can shoot little bits of wire around, or leave them sticking out from the nailhead. The nail strips are more durable and cheaper than paper.

Paper seems like the way to go.

I'm wondering if something like this will be the way to go:
https://www.amazon.com/3PLUS-HFN90S...01MUNTZHK&psc=1

Clipped nails seem to be OK here, at least when I got the reno done on my place they used them, and that went through local building control.

Edit: ordered one

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 26, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LightRailTycoon posted:

21 degree is plastic collated, which means the gun shoots plastic bits everywhere, and they often bounce back into your face.

Or not. I've never taken a plastic bit to the face, but other people seem to get blasted in the cheek every nail. Who knows how it works.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sash! posted:

Or not. I've never taken a plastic bit to the face, but other people seem to get blasted in the cheek every nail. Who knows how it works.

Lotta factors. How you hold your tongue, mainly. Then the angle your chin points. Left hand vs right hand seems to be a factor also, but no hard data yet to confirm/deny.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Router question - I have a DW616 that can accept 1/4 and 1/2 shanks. However the baseplate doesn't allow for the larger bits (Cove, roundover, etc)...

Where do I get a baseplate with a larger hole? It seems like it should be easy to find, yet... it's not. Everything i see is either "make your own", or it's a base for a table.

What do you guys use for these larger bits?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Router question - I have a DW616 that can accept 1/4 and 1/2 shanks. However the baseplate doesn't allow for the larger bits (Cove, roundover, etc)...

Where do I get a baseplate with a larger hole? It seems like it should be easy to find, yet... it's not. Everything i see is either "make your own", or it's a base for a table.

I make my own out of 1/4” plywood (just use the real base as a template to drill the holes). I got a clear acrylic universal base off Amazon that supposedly had holes drilled for my router and every other router in existence but none of them actually lined up with my base so I had to drill my own ones anyway.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

1/4" plexiglass or lexan, that's a bit harder. Alternatively if the baseplate is some form of plastic resin you can just start up and gently push the bit through it. It's messy. But, expeditious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you were buying a set of drill bits for household chores, no precision required, durability a plus, which brand would you buy?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you were buying a set of drill bits for household chores, no precision required, durability a plus, which brand would you buy?

Get the Milwaukee set, it’s fine. Most of these are still in good condition after 8 years. I broke a couple of the smaller ones and have sharpened some, but that’s just the way it is.

I also recommend a cheap HF step bit if you’re doing larger holes in thin material.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FSSIYW

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Drillbits are eventually going to break or get so dull as to not be worth using. So while high-quality bits are nice, IMO they're not really worth spending a bucket on. Get a step or two up from bottom-of-the-barrel and you should be fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Really dumb harbor freight question, their tool chests all say "Please visit any store to order for Free Pickup" and nothing about local stock. So I'm assuming that means it's not a stock item, but I can special order it from the store and have it shipped to the store where I'd pick it up, right?

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/top-chests/26-in-single-bank-top-chest-blue-64430.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FISHMANPET posted:

Really dumb harbor freight question, their tool chests all say "Please visit any store to order for Free Pickup" and nothing about local stock. So I'm assuming that means it's not a stock item, but I can special order it from the store and have it shipped to the store where I'd pick it up, right?

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/top-chests/26-in-single-bank-top-chest-blue-64430.html

I recently got one on wheels and they had it in stock in the store. I know talking to other humans isn’t a thing goons do, but I called and asked and they could tell me what they had and even what colors.

I think they just don’t want to ship a big heavy thing that would cost 25-50% of the purchase price to ship.