Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

I’ve been reading comics for about 35 years and I can’t think of many times the eternals have been more than bit players in someone else’s drama. They’ve not really managed to be a popular ongoing in that entire span, and usually at most you’d have one guesting in an Avengers book or more likely an X-men book for 10 or so comics before they disappear into the same ether that contains the inhumans and Alpha Flight.

This isn’t even like Guardians which had a wildly successful book proving that the chemistry behind space adventuring oddballs may just be a good format. I’m gonna watch it, but it’s going to be because they are going to introduce some connected macguffin or something. Not because I know or care about any of them.

Don't know if this is actually accurate but Elliot Kalan mentioned on a podcast recently that The Eternals as a comic book has never gotten more than 12 issues in a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What they shoulda done was had multiverses of the Spider-Man movies that didn't get made.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Doc Ock: Okey-dokey, Spider-Man! I'm ARMED and DANGEROUS!
Holland Spider-Man: Oh man, I'm gonna need some help against this.
Scott Leva Spider-Man: *screams and flails its tarantula arms*
Holland Spider-Man: You said it, Literal Spider/Man!
John Malkovich Vulture: Hey Spider-Man! Think fast!
Tom Holland Spider-Man: Ow! This guy is one tough mother!
Josh Hutcherson Spider-Man: Did someone say tough mudder?
Shailene Woodley Mary Jane: Be careful, Peter!
Alicia Witt Mary Jane: Peters.
Leonardo DiCaprio Spider-Man: Hey, either of you ladies wanna go have sex on the Brooklyn Bridge?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

Don't know if this is actually accurate but Elliot Kalan mentioned on a podcast recently that The Eternals as a comic book has never gotten more than 12 issues in a run.

It's not. The Kirby run was 20 issues including the annual. The next three runs were 12, 7, and 10. Then the current one.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jamesman posted:

What they shoulda done was had multiverses of the Spider-Man movies that didn't get made.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Doc Ock: Okey-dokey, Spider-Man! I'm ARMED and DANGEROUS!
Holland Spider-Man: Oh man, I'm gonna need some help against this.
Scott Leva Spider-Man: *screams and flails its tarantula arms*
Holland Spider-Man: You said it, Literal Spider/Man!
John Malkovich Vulture: Hey Spider-Man! Think fast!
Tom Holland Spider-Man: Ow! This guy is one tough mother!
Josh Hutcherson Spider-Man: Did someone say tough mudder?
Shailene Woodley Mary Jane: Be careful, Peter!
Alicia Witt Mary Jane: Peters.
Leonardo DiCaprio Spider-Man: Hey, either of you ladies wanna go have sex on the Brooklyn Bridge?

See that I can get.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

X-O posted:

It's not. The Kirby run was 20 issues including the annual. The next three runs were 12, 7, and 10. Then the current one.

Still, the overall point remains that Eternals has always been a tough sell, and not from lack of trying on Marvel’s part. I’m always rooting for the MCU, but this film is hardly a guaranteed success.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6rLLC5bfjw

Could just be misleading trailer editing but it would be sad if the pumpkin bombs are only the types that just cause big explosions instead of also magically turning you into a cg skeleton

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yakmouth posted:

Still, the overall point remains that Eternals has always been a tough sell, and not from lack of trying on Marvel’s part. I’m always rooting for the MCU, but this film is hardly a guaranteed success.

Maybe they'll get some of the DCEU fans who have a hardon for the Gods/mythology/pathos/etc to finally cross over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was actually just Chad Kroeger and was before Nickelback even took off.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Watching that trailer I think we are looking at another infinity war misleading trailer. They made a shot with all the heroes running, and the hulk wasn't even in that shot in the movie.

The shot in the school at about 1:15. peter sure looks like he has on the black spiderman costume from spiderman 3. I am wondering if we are looking at a CGI fake out and in the movie that will actually be Toby in that shot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

badjohny posted:

Watching that trailer I think we are looking at another infinity war misleading trailer. They made a shot with all the heroes running, and the hulk wasn't even in that shot in the movie.

The shot in the school at about 1:15. peter sure looks like he has on the black spiderman costume from spiderman 3. I am wondering if we are looking at a CGI fake out and in the movie that will actually be Toby in that shot.
It wouldn't make sense for him to be in the school though.

I agree that there is probably misdirection in the trailer but I don't think it's that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man if Peter were really serious about his secret ID he should probably stop morphing into Iron Spider-Man in full view right in the middle of the street all the time.

Speaking of that suit, yes I'm about to post Tumblr caps

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

It better! :argh:

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Maybe they'll get some of the DCEU fans who have a hardon for the Gods/mythology/pathos/etc to finally cross over.

At this point do DCEU fans even exist?

No shade, hand-to-heart, but there are the Snyder/Ayer fans, the BoP/New Suicide Squad Margot Robbie fans… I’m sure there has to be someone who goes to bat for Birds of Prey and Joker but I’ve never met them. The DC film fandom seems incredibly fractured to a degree that I think is unique among big IP’s.

I bring this up because isn’t there a popular assumption that Eternals only got greenlit as a way of screwing over Ava DuVernay‘s New God’s film? The DC fans who are into the “Gods/mythology/pathos/etc” seem like the exact crowd that would never give Eternals a chance, if only out of spite.

You’re also going to have the crowd upset that the “Kirby style” got muted into something more MCU-generic, completely ignoring that these are characters Kirby famously couldn’t make work.

My guess is the audience for this film are going to be mostly MCU ride-or-die types, along with people for whom Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek are still a draw. I don’t think it will make much inroad with the generic millennial-aged movie going public.

Or I’m talking out of my rear end. That’s also possible :)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Myself, my fiancee, and two of my closest friends are honest-to-god DCEU fans. :v:

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Vandar posted:

Myself, my fiancee, and two of my closest friends are honest-to-god DCEU fans. :v:

Fair enough :D

Will the four of you be checking out Eternals?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Yeah because we're MCU fans too lol. I like both universes but for different reasons.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 25, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's not 100% official yet, but reportedly Venom 2 may be getting pushed back again, this time to January

https://www.ign.com/articles/venom-2-let-there-be-carnage-delayed-2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

badjohny posted:

I've seen people mention that the signs say FEAST from the ps4 spider-man game. It was a shelter that Aunt May ran.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be totally honest, the biggest thing making me interesting in Eternals is the answer to the question "Why the Eternals?" Like its such an odd choice that I'm convinced there has to be some bigger picture bomb we're not seeing.

Endless Mike posted:

Sersi was on the Jacket Avengers

Also when I heard Black Knight and Sersi were in this I totally started hoping for the Avengers jackets.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean of all the stuff to lay the groundwork for in the MCU among the first were Thanos and the Guardians. I think Feige himself just loves that weird cosmic side of Marvel. He's gradually built us up to Kang time shenanigans, multiverse adventures, and now Celestials. He likes the weird side of Marvel.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

nickelback will be the concert going on during the macguire spidey scene

They should just bring back Macy Grey.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

To be totally honest, the biggest thing making me interesting in Eternals is the answer to the question "Why the Eternals?" Like its such an odd choice that I'm convinced there has to be some bigger picture bomb we're not seeing.

Also when I heard Black Knight and Sersi were in this I totally started hoping for the Avengers jackets.

I feel like it's the Eternals because they hosed up the Inhumans. I'm sure in a few years they'll another crack at the Inhumans, they're just waiting/praying for people to forget that series happened

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just make a lockjaw movie and everyone will gladly forgive them

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Aphrodite posted:

It was actually just Chad Kroeger and was before Nickelback even took off.

How You Remind Me was 2001, it was before Nickelback became a meme but I wouldn't say it was before they took off

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Man if Peter were really serious about his secret ID he should probably stop morphing into Iron Spider-Man in full view right in the middle of the street all the time.

Speaking of that suit, yes I'm about to post Tumblr caps

Where does this take that they convincingly played Garfield's Spider-man as having money troubles come from

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

How You Remind Me was 2001, it was before Nickelback became a meme but I wouldn't say it was before they took off

Nickelback was already getting huge, otherwise why would Kroeger have been tapped to do the song with Scott?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

I mean of all the stuff to lay the groundwork for in the MCU among the first were Thanos and the Guardians. I think Feige himself just loves that weird cosmic side of Marvel. He's gradually built us up to Kang time shenanigans, multiverse adventures, and now Celestials. He likes the weird side of Marvel.

If he truly liked the weird side of Marvel we’d have a NEXTWAVE movie in the making

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Where does this take that they convincingly played Garfield's Spider-man as having money troubles come from

Because Aunt May specifically talks about having to pick up extra shifts in ASM2 because they're fuckin broke?

(I mean I don't like remembering this stuff but it's stuck up in there)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

Because Aunt May specifically talks about having to pick up extra shifts in ASM2 because they're fuckin broke?

(I mean I don't like remembering this stuff but it's stuck up in there)

I mean, yeah, but Tumblr acts like it was a core part of his character when all I remember is mentions in dialogue being thrown their way.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

I feel like it's the Eternals because they hosed up the Inhumans. I'm sure in a few years they'll another crack at the Inhumans, they're just waiting/praying for people to forget that series happened

I will never forget Inhumans. It was amazing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If he truly liked the weird side of Marvel we’d have a NEXTWAVE movie in the making

On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't make movies of stuff by Warren Ellis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay, Marvel doesn't credit or pay royalties.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So the Doc Ock we saw in the trailer looks a bit different from the one we got in SM 2. The costume looks a bit better than just Shirtless Molina in a trenchcoat. It's not the comic book green jumpsuit with yellow highlights, but is a bit closer to the more modern black outfit, which is pretty cool.

Is it too much to ask that we get a more comics accurate outfit for Green Goblin? It doesn't have to be a purple tunic over green leggings and a troll mask with a big purple sock on his head, but just a little less Power Rangers would be appreciated.

Nodosaur posted:

You could argue that May having to work a couple of low paying jobs and I think a two second shot of a past due mortgage bill were lending to the "Peter's Poor" through line, but it was never a big part like it was for the McGuire movies. And Holland's effectively bankrolled by Stark Industries, so they eliminated that part of the character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we extremely don't need an ellis related project

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

To be fair, I don't think Peter having those kinds of troubles makes much sense once he becomes part of the wider super hero community (along with keeping the secret from May). And it gets doubly weird in the Raimiverse when he's best friends with a trust fund kid and getting to hang out with famous scientists. Like, yeah, sure, personal pride or whatever, but speaking as someone who's lived without much money, pride is secondary to loving getting what you need to survive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

You could argue that May having to work a couple of low paying jobs and I think a two second shot of a past due mortgage bill were lending to the "Peter's Poor" through line, but it was never a big part like it was for the McGuire movies. And Holland's effectively bankrolled by Stark Industries, so they eliminated that part of the character.

They were basically "movie poor" where you just have a character say they're struggling and maybe show some shots of bills but it never actually amounts to anything and Peter is still able to do stuff like order a bunch of Oscorp industrial web fluid.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah, if he truly liked the weird side he’d make Terror, Inc.

But he likes the weird cosmic side, so he should make Death’s Head, yes?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

CzarChasm posted:

So the Doc Ock we saw in the trailer looks a bit different from the one we got in SM 2. The costume looks a bit better than just Shirtless Molina in a trenchcoat. It's not the comic book green jumpsuit with yellow highlights, but is a bit closer to the more modern black outfit, which is pretty cool.

Is it too much to ask that we get a more comics accurate outfit for Green Goblin? It doesn't have to be a purple tunic over green leggings and a troll mask with a big purple sock on his head, but just a little less Power Rangers would be appreciated.

as I believe Weird Al pointed out, he's scarier without the helmet anyway

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Compared to MCU Peter, every other Peter might as well be homeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Holland's Peter is the only one to live in a realistically small apt, 2 Bedrooms, but claustrophobic nonetheless. Wasn't the establishing shot of projects?