Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cartoons about Italian motorcycling circa 1968.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Clearly I should have been riding my big American bike in Italy in 1968.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Steakandchips posted:

Clearly I should have been riding my big American bike in Italy in 1968.

I mean, there was a time when cool young guys road Harleys and Indians.

Now it's just fat old men, mostly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RODE. RODERODERODE

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PeterCat posted:

I mean, there was a time when cool young guys road Harleys and Indians.

Now it's just fat old men, mostly.

Slavvy posted:

RODE. RODERODERODE

Please keep edging Slavvy. I think he's close.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Please keep edging Slavvy. I think he's close.

Come on, don’t tease him. We’ve been down this rode before.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

poo poo, either speech to text or inhaling too much JP-8 is getting to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush is quietly breathing into a paper bag somewhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m certain I posted this before but it popped back up on facebook marketplace this week.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Mr. Buell, you know we can't accept this design as final.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm the front fender that looks like it was shaped using someone's bare knuckles as an English wheel

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I’m certain I posted this before but it popped back up on facebook marketplace this week.

I love the overly optimistic trade options.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I like seeing things like this because it reminds me my meth'd out bike could be so much worse.

I think it's just the low quality of the picture but wtf is going on where the fork meets the front rotor, it looks like the T-2000 shot a fat load on the bike.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think it’s just a lot of chrome. The calipers and hub have been chrome plated. And it has a glossy CF fender.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I like to imagine that the seller is offering you $1100 or maybe a dirt bike or something to take it to the crusher for them

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda badass? What material is that he used? If that's actual sheet metal and actual rivets, that's pretty awesome I think. Some effort went into that. Assuming it's not just cardboard glued onto the original plastics.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can appreciate the fact that someone went and did all that work and if it made them happy and they learned something then cool.

But I’m afraid this is “so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should” territory for me :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

someone finally used a decent sound recording device for a motorcycle video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVH0cDkv8yA
headphones on.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda badass? What material is that he used? If that's actual sheet metal and actual rivets, that's pretty awesome I think. Some effort went into that. Assuming it's not just cardboard glued onto the original plastics.

I've thought about doing fairings with aluminum sheet after watching Adam Savage's excalibur armor being built in a series of youtube videos, but I thought you could get organic curves and flowing lines rather than the flat panel monstrosity on that bike. It looks like a half finished tesla cybertruck, you can see the intent but there are so many exposed edges everywhere it's like if tetanus was a photograph

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A low poly bike, or one that looked like the Dan Ketch Ghost Rider, could be cool but that ain't it

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fitting fairings so that they are functional, look right, and don't fall off at speed or get set on fire by the exhaust is no easy task. Especially if the fairings are from something else and the bike you're fitting them to never had any hardware for it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

sick

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

Fitting fairings so that they are functional, look right, and don't fall off at speed or get set on fire by the exhaust is no easy task. Especially if the fairings are from something else and the bike you're fitting them to never had any hardware for it.

Finish building that thing and make a thread you absolute scum

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Finish building that thing and make a thread you absolute scum

motivational circuits engaged

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what clipons do you have in mind to put on there

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mewse posted:

I've thought about doing fairings with aluminum sheet after watching Adam Savage's excalibur armor being built in a series of youtube videos, but I thought you could get organic curves and flowing lines rather than the flat panel monstrosity on that bike. It looks like a half finished tesla cybertruck, you can see the intent but there are so many exposed edges everywhere it's like if tetanus was a photograph

Curves hard I guess. Especially the compound curves and small radius edges you expect to see on really good looking fairings.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

mewse posted:

I've thought about doing fairings with aluminum sheet after watching Adam Savage's excalibur armor being built in a series of youtube videos, but I thought you could get organic curves and flowing lines rather than the flat panel monstrosity on that bike. It looks like a half finished tesla cybertruck

You can form aluminum into compound organic curves by hand, but it takes a great deal of skill. Not a lot of people in the world still know how to use an English wheel.

Incidentally I believe that part of the reason the Cybertruck looks like that is because they didn't have the time or money to hire the old fogies to make a coachbuilt prototype. There's no obvious reason for the panels to be literally flat planes; you can do the sharp-edged stealth fighter look with subtly curved panels and it looks much more elegant. See the Cadillac Cien, for instance.

So I think that for the Cybertruck, Elon insisted that the prototype they put up on stage be made of real stainless steel (instead of fiberglass or the like, as used for nearly all concept cars), but also balked at how long it would take to build a one-off hand-formed car body. But if we only use flat panels, why, then we can just cut the plates with shears and weld a bunch of poo poo together and bing bang boom!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

You can form aluminum into compound organic curves by hand, but it takes a great deal of skill. Not a lot of people in the world still know how to use an English wheel.

It's something I'd love to learn but it's firmly on my list for after I quit the day job. There's a shop down in Cornwall that does training courses on that kind of metal coachwork, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing the SO to take a week long holiday with me where I dump her in a hotel while I go hang out with a bunch of greybeards all day, at least while vacation days are a limited resource.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

what clipons do you have in mind to put on there

Yeah it's a problem. Those are F3 clipons mounted above the triple. As much as I want to make that happen without serious modification to the upper fairing there's just no way to fit them. They're going to have to go below the triple and I'll just do more crunches (not likely).

Sagebrush posted:

So I think that for the Cybertruck, Elon insisted that the prototype they put up on stage be made of real stainless steel (instead of fiberglass or the like, as used for nearly all concept cars), but also balked at how long it would take to build a one-off hand-formed car body. But if we only use flat panels, why, then we can just cut the plates with shears and weld a bunch of poo poo together and bing bang boom!

Musk has a license to grift, the media eats up everything he puts out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gorson posted:

Ol' Musko has a license to grift, the media swallows whole everything he shits out.

Fixed that for you.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I'd ride that dumbass MF DOOM ratbike into the ground, no shame

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Incidentally I believe that part of the reason the Cybertruck looks like that is because they didn't have the time or money to hire the old fogies to make a coachbuilt prototype. There's no obvious reason for the panels to be literally flat planes; you can do the sharp-edged stealth fighter look with subtly curved panels and it looks much more elegant. See the Cadillac Cien, for instance.

Leepu's probably got some spare time since Bangla Bangers was cancelled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMf5KcfZhus

(They did a UK-based version of this show just around the corner from my office and sometimes you could see them trying out the cars on the street around there and filler does hide a *multitude* of sins, but it's still impressive just how much they manage with just metal-bashing)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

New bike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice. How’s it ride?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Steakandchips posted:

Nice. How’s it ride?

Pretty good so far. Only got about 50 miles on it on first day, riding around a country road circling a lake. It felt a tad heavy at first, but I am getting the hang of it. It certainly has more than enough power for legal riding - 70 mph is readily achievable in 2nd gear. The throttle response is pretty linear, and there is a ton of torque. I am still having a bit of trouble transitioning smoothly between gears though. I like the relatively low riding height - my recent bikes have mostly been quite tall. It gives me more confidence to lean in more on the turns. Not sure how I feel about the low handlebar. I ordered some risers and will give them a shot. Otherwise the ergos have been good - will have to see how well the seat treats me on longer rides. The mirrors are fantastic. Great visibility and I like the round aesthetic.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Nice bike, man. Those Z900RSes look so good. And if you ever get bored of the stock looks, you can do this to it:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I love that so much

Also, bike related:

Did anyone order a steaming vat of motorcycle parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Nice bike, man. Those Z900RSes look so good. And if you ever get bored of the stock looks, you can do this to it:

A+