Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zore posted:

Probably, but you know Pokemon are a thing and a ton of them can do just absolute magic bullshit.

If I had to guess the eruption and then Pokemon ending up saving a ton of people from it is what changes the whole 'Pokemon and Humans live apart' thing.

Good Lord Zore we've solved the puzzle. Where the hell are our awards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Or possibly since the map isn't like...a gps style map and an artist's interpretation in universe it's not 100% accurate and also they took some liberties when designing the map for the new game to make gameplay better.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or possibly since the map isn't like...a gps style map and an artist's interpretation in universe it's not 100% accurate and also they took some liberties when designing the map for the new game to make gameplay better.

You got two new maps both for the remakes and the legends game. Both take place in Sinnoh in different eras it's not unusual to notice they apparently removed a lot of plot important areas that are present in the original games and remakes. Most generous interpretation is this is a hand painted map and the local people aren't exactly savants with their grasp of geology. However going by screenshots in game I'm not seeing anything that contradicts the layout.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Electric Phantasm posted:

We're gonna see the consequences of letting humans and pokemon marry.

Heatran's gonna be the one that causes it. There had to be a reason why they have random genders and still won't lay eggs.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Heatran's gonna be the one that causes it. There had to be a reason why they have random genders and still won't lay eggs.

How drunk does someone have to be that a magma spider starts to look attractive?

random man: God i hate my wife.

horrible lava spider: HIIISSSSS

random man: .....well hello :smuggo:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo it would own if we saw Regigagas just dragging a random landmass in the background of the northern section of the map

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

How drunk does someone have to be that a magma spider starts to look attractive?

This sounds like a job for furries

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Flopsy posted:

magma toad, please

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Flopsy posted:

...Have you ever been on the internet?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given how the Ainu treated bears (murder the mother, take the child home, raise it as a member of the community for two years, then stake it out in the center of town, riddle it with arrows before slitting its throat, drinking its blood and eating its meat) I don't really blame the pokemon world for opting to interbreed with them insteead, much more family-friendly

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

...Have you ever been on the internet?

STOP REMINDING ME OF WHERE I AM

also

Vinylshadow posted:

Given how the Ainu treated bears (murder the mother, take the child home, raise it as a member of the community for two years, then stake it out in the center of town, riddle it with arrows before slitting its throat, drinking its blood and eating its meat) I don't really blame the pokemon world for opting to interbreed with them insteead, much more family-friendly

Uh...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I thought maybe it was some racist urban legend so I googled and it's apparently a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iomante

Though the article notes that there aren't any sources for the specific claims regarding the ceremony, but given that there was a law passed in Japan outlawing the practice in 1955 for being too cruel (that law was apparently rescinded in 2007), it seems like it's probably mostly accurate.

e: Unless the reactions were to the "breeding with Pokemon is more family friendly" in which case yeah, uh, I got nothing for that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vinylshadow posted:

what the gently caress dude

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's always fun to read up on what inspires a generation of pokemon

To many a regret, I imagine

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Goon 1: I bet people would marry Heatran lmao.

Goon 2 (in response): Yeah but have you heard how the Ainu people historically killed bear cubs? History is super interesting!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Goon 2 (in response): Yeah but have you heard how the Ainu people historically killed bear cubs? History is super interesting!

As someone who's absolutely a huge history fan I'll say this without an ounce of irony. It's a loving trip and half my dudes. You only find out later schools cut out or watered down all the interesting poo poo so parents wouldn't kick down the doors and burn all the books.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well now all I can think of is that one Super Fun Pak Comix.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

As someone who's absolutely a huge history fan I'll say this without an ounce of irony. It's a loving trip and half my dudes. You only find out later schools cut out or watered down all the interesting poo poo so parents wouldn't kick down the doors and burn all the books.

Perhaps that's why parents prefer to send their kids out on pokemon journeys rather than stay in school?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Back when Trainer Card level was a thing, did anyone ever try to max it out? Best I did was the Violet one in HeartGold

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Perhaps that's why parents prefer to send their kids out on pokemon journeys rather than stay in school?

That's why they can only learn about Sinnoh's sordid history on the back shelf in a library.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Back when Trainer Card level was a thing, did anyone ever try to max it out? Best I did was the Violet one in HeartGold

I got the Black one in Soul Silver, but I cheated my way through the battle tower because gently caress that RNG nonsense.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Carlosologist posted:

I only ever learned that it was a thing after they officially stopped caring about trainer cards. :downs:

But also I played the games with Battle Frontiers in them when I was an idiot child who knew nothing of battle mechanics beyond "haha earthquake go brrrrrr", so I never got any of the fancy trainer cards even by accident.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

Or taught a Eurocentric narrative.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carlosologist posted:

Once or twice, getting multiple streaks always tripped me up because I usually wasn't good enough at the battle tower or you had to play against real humans.
I don't remember

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Or taught a Eurocentric narrative.

I don't recall learning purely eurocentric history. What we mostly studied was the progress of human civilization from prehistoric times onward but like I said they skimmed a lot. Had to keep the narrative moving forward because we were covering a lot of material and they didn't see the point in fleshing out some details as much as they could.

Onto a different topic, anybody else getting the feeling that Gen 9 might be taking place in an asian themed region because of these new regional forms and Urshifu being shoehorned into Gen 8? Just seems to me if we're going to bring back these guys the region most likely is going to reflect the aesthetics of the new pokemon somehow.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They do that all the time.

Look at Alolan Raichu. Hell look at base Raichu.

Both of those are good Pokemon though?

And in the case of base Raichu has shown up at Worlds a whole bunch?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vandar posted:

Both of those are good Pokemon though?

And in the case of base Raichu has shown up at Worlds a whole bunch?

Yes that's why I was using them as examples of cute pokemon that aren't worthless in battle.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I misread your post. :v:

Ignore me, it's late and I'm tired.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Perhaps we'll finally get Gorochu as Hisuian Raichu?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Buncha people itt who should read Golden Kamui

Flopsy posted:

Onto a different topic, anybody else getting the feeling that Gen 9 might be taking place in an asian themed region because of these new regional forms and Urshifu being shoehorned into Gen 8? Just seems to me if we're going to bring back these guys the region most likely is going to reflect the aesthetics of the new pokemon somehow.

If we're using current games as ideas for where they're going next, I'd see them doing Poke-Russia as the region Hisuan Braviary originally came from. Well, I guess technically that counts as Asia, huh.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
should go to space imo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

But why are they in space? There's no reason for them to be in space!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Twelve by Pies posted:

But why are they in space? There's no reason for them to be in space!

To win the Space Pokemon League.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Procrastine posted:

Buncha people itt who should read Golden Kamui

If we're using current games as ideas for where they're going next, I'd see them doing Poke-Russia as the region Hisuan Braviary originally came from. Well, I guess technically that counts as Asia, huh.

Kinda leaning towards China myself with the whole Lion dog form/Kung Fu bear thing...but then again Japan has a complicated relationship with them..hm.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Most game's aesthetics are so loose that, despite how invested I am in art direction, I'm not even really interested in what their influence is from gen-to-gen. Johto and Alola were the only two regions where I think I would be able to tell you what region they were based off of. Sw/Sh's only real giveaway is the soccer hooligans - without them, I probably would have said Greenland because of the huge glacier region and the first town is so vaguely European it could be anywhere. B/W is supposed to be America, but like, what's the influence? Castelia City having cars?
X/Y needed to include the Eiffel Tower to even come close to personifying France. Couldn't tell you at all what regions RSE/DPPt are.

Arceus's influence is really clear, which is good

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Possible real-world inspirations for regions that haven't been done yet:
  • Somewhere in Latin America; maybe Chile, for maximally linear game design. :v: Latin America-inspired regions seem to be a fairly popular idea for fangames, interestingly enough.
  • California. Not sure exactly what the region's gimmicks would be, but proximity to Alola and Orre allows for some potentially interesting ideas.
  • Greece or Italy. The Pokemon franchise loves putting ancient ruins (and volcanoes, deserts, and icy caves) everywhere no matter how little sense it makes in terms of real-world history/geography; why not use a location that actually has ancient ruins?
  • Australia. There's some existing Pokemon based on Australian wildlife, like Kangaskhan and Komala, and I'm sure Game Freak can come up with others too.
  • There's a lot of potentially interesting options in Asia, but many of them seem a bit too politically sensitive nowadays; I doubt we're likely to see Pokemon Tibet, for instance. Maybe Mongolia or Bhutan would be fine?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Pokemon India.

After twenty-five years, we finally learn what kind of Pokemon an Indian elephant is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There was that one dust-bowl-esque town in SwSh with a little outdoor market zone that gave me a big Latin America vibe, which is not great for a game that was supposed to be inspired by the UK but was a very neat aesthetic they haven't really tried for before and yeah I think that would be neat