Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The meta hasn't really changed since april. There hasn't been anything really big like blizzard strayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The most notable thing in the meta is people started noticing "hey actually Xiangling is the best pyro DPS in the game" which has been going on since before April but got more attention in the west more recently.

Oh and they released Kazuha who is now up there with Zhongli and Venti and Bennett as one of the best supports.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Arguably better than Venti in some cases

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the more recent xiangling thing is that people have started using c6 xiangling as a horrifyingly potent ace for a single-target focused pyro dps like hu tao--xiangling can provide the single-target dps with pyro damage bonus and resistance shred, and then the team can transition into becoming a xiangling-focused team in aoe situtations where she performs better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Arguably better than Venti in some cases
much better than venti, in most cases!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Reiterpallasch posted:

Mechanically: the flat damage elemental reactions (Swirl, Overload, Electro-charged, not you Shatter go away) have had their base damage and elemental mastery scaling dramatically buffed. Teams built around them are significantly more competitive compared to Vaporize/Melt than they used to be.
I'm fine with my Kazuha dealing another 2.5 swirls' worth of damage on his plunges

https://i.imgur.com/2R3k8x7.mp4

My good leafboy makes everything work!

No Wave posted:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

It also helps that his character design is better, voice actor is better, and is more fun to use for exploration.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I will admit Venti is probably my favorite character in this game personality-wise. Every scene with him is good (and there are a lot of them!!!).

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

funkymonks posted:

It also helps that his character design is better, voice actor is better, and is more fun to use for exploration.

Nah, nah, for sure.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Would you say that Venti is powercrept already by Kazuha?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd say current content making CC basically useless affects both Venti and Kazuha, but in the latter case he brings more to the team despite that disadvantage

so he's definitely better in the now, and feels like a much better generalist pick even assuming a swing back to CC being valued

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I didn't know you could get the 5x bonus when you were recycling artifacts. Went from from level 4 to 20 and now my Bennett has 33k HP and 220% ER. :toot:

Bennett tip: The ATK buff scales only with his base + weapon ATK value, nothing else modifies it. His healing scales with his total HP, after artifact modifiers. So what's with all these DPS bennett builds I don't get it. That's like DPS barbara I mean sure you could.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

people find his healing good enough without building HP mainstats, so why not take advantage of the 400-500% multiplier on his burst for fat aoe damage? especially in teams where you could vape that

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

dogsicle posted:

people find his healing good enough without building HP mainstats, so why not take advantage of the 400-500% multiplier on his burst for fat aoe damage? especially in teams where you could vape that

Also if you use his e as a battery you might as well deal damage with it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mang Tomas posted:

Would you say that Venti is powercrept already by Kazuha?
No, I'd say Kazuha is better most of the time these days but there's a set of content that venti is stupid against (that the devs seem to be actively not be putting on floor 12). They're both still really good too and you can even play them on the same team. People who own both Venti and Kazuha do use Kazuha a lot more on floor 12 at the moment.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 25, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ultima66 posted:

The most notable thing in the meta is people started noticing "hey actually Xiangling is the best pyro DPS in the game" which has been going on since before April but got more attention in the west more recently.

Oh and they released Kazuha who is now up there with Zhongli and Venti and Bennett as one of the best supports.

There're also a lot more people talking about Beidou actually being really good now than there were back in the Dragonspine update when I last played. Though the new Emblem set certainly helps.
I'll probably raise her up if I manage to beat the Baal 50/50.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Do hunting commissions change with each day? I was always getting the same for Inazuma each Monday (samurai vulnerable to plunging attack, electro lawachurl that regenerated, the couple of mechanical enemies) but I did them today and got a slightly different set (samurai with adds that healed/gave him res, electro lawachurl surrounded by mondo explosive barrels)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Beidou is obnoxious to have leveled because you know she's good but Mihoyo keeps designing content to screw her. She was terrible against 12-3 for the past two patches and now she's bad against both sides of 12-1 and 12-2 (and 12-3 is a breeze). Even the 2.1 abyss has a single-target boss on each side as of the last leaks I saw.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I mean, every character's potentially good-if-the-content-plays-to-their-strength. Kazuha (and Xiao) would be pretty bad if Abyss had a literal ceiling that would kill you if you bonked your head on it. I look forward to seeing how creative miHoYo gets with stealth buffs/nerfs through hazards and mob behaviors.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Traveller posted:

Do hunting commissions change with each day? I was always getting the same for Inazuma each Monday (samurai vulnerable to plunging attack, electro lawachurl that regenerated, the couple of mechanical enemies) but I did them today and got a slightly different set (samurai with adds that healed/gave him res, electro lawachurl surrounded by mondo explosive barrels)
They're all supposed to change every day, but especially if you're targeting a region with a lot of sidequests (that some of those commissions might spin off from, and you haven't necessarily found/done yet) like Inazuma, you'll see duplicates more often. - Signed, someone who has had either Inazuman Fashion or the not-really-cooking one that sends you back to Liyue every single day for the last two weeks

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

I mean, every character's potentially good-if-the-content-plays-to-their-strength. Kazuha (and Xiao) would be pretty bad if Abyss had a literal ceiling that would kill you if you bonked your head on it. I look forward to seeing how creative miHoYo gets with stealth buffs/nerfs through hazards and mob behaviors.

Actually just this; Kazuha is legitimately kind of bad on 12-3-1 because he triggers that flying Ruin Sentinel's "fly up and launch missiles" mode by using his E. Unfortunately 12-3 is actually much easier than 12-1 and 12-2 so it doesn't actually matter at all if Kazuha can't use E on that one enemy.

Now if the hardest floor was ever just like 3 Ruin Sentinels Kazuha might be pretty bad there. Though that again depends on team comp, since there are definitely teams that can abuse forcing them into their missile mode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or just run Kazuha in some team that has a bow user, so his skill gives you a free stun on 12-3-1

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Skip all characters

never pull

Broke: Beat the game without spending money
Woke: Beat the game without ever making a Wish

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

The Lone Badger posted:

I think if you got the event reward characters it's possible to get two teams for the abyss. I bet someone's done this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
famously, Enviosity on twitch/youtube
I haven't watched their videos though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baiard posted:

I think if you got the event reward characters it's possible to get two teams for the abyss. I bet someone's done this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2i1KRZZFCg

He didn't even use event reward characters, just the 7 fully guaranteed, non-time-limited characters (Traveler, Amber, Kaeya, Lisa, Noelle, Barbara, Xiangling)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

There's people who even don't roll for Noelle

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
That's pretty impressive, but yeah I wasn't counting Noelle since you technically have to wish for her. I didn't even consider having smaller teams.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Speaking of such, did something like 30 rerolls (usually 1x10 pull on the beginner banner + 6 single summons on the standard takes about 22 min to do from start) and I can understand why people don't like rerolling this game.

The odds seem so much lower than they actually are, and the forced Noelle makes things even more frustrating. I've gotten Qiqi twice but no other 5*s, and Xingqiu+Razor+Noelle once when I actually tested how long it takes to grind out the 2nd 10x pull (prob too long unless there is a more efficient way). I barely ever get more than just Noelle. I'm guessing the game uses some kind of pseudo randomness to prevent you from getting insane pulls with multiple characters very often?

I might wait to reroll for some time when there is a better free character (like Alloy) or a way to do 2 10x easier. I know it's not the hugest deal to force good units, but it's an OCD thing I have to not want to start unless I have 2-3 "outstanding" units that I can build for the long run.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Sounds like a great way to burn yourself out before even having any fun

Though if you're really dead set on having a "good" start, the patch next week will bring a much better banner than this one, and we don't even know 2 out of the 4 characters yet. Just probably not Xinyan.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please don't reroll. It is really, really, really not worth it. When the game first launched they gave out enough wishes that it might be worth rerolling, but these days, it really isn't.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gandlethorpe posted:

Sounds like a great way to burn yourself out before even having any fun

Though if you're really dead set on having a "good" start, the patch next week will bring a much better banner than this one, and we don't even know 2 out of the 4 characters yet. Just probably not Xinyan.

It's kinda mindless tbh, I don't even realize i'm playing a game because i'm working on stuff and watching stuff/chatting with people on discord at the same time. I'll probably either take the Xingqui+Razor or stop for a while after tonight.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Definitely exhaust the starter banner if you are rerolling imo. Where was your stopping point for restarting?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Lone Badger posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/oc1dj0/no_wish_f2p_account_update_inazuma_here_we_come/

Apparently easier to bring everyone to 90 9/9/9 if you never wish.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah the game is 40% artifacts, 40% talents, and 20 percent the gacha actually making it faster.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kater posted:

Definitely exhaust the starter banner if you are rerolling imo. Where was your stopping point for restarting?

The way it goes right now, right when I unlock the ability to make wish, I can get 1 10x summon and have 3 single pulls on the banner left over. You can also have enough Primogems using a redem code and picking up some chests that don't stray from the path to buy 1 more. Then you get 1 from being adventure rank 5, which puts you at 5/8 for the 2nd pull. You can also buy another one with the stardust you get from the first 10x which puts you at 6/8. At that point, I don't know enough about the game to determine how you would get the final 2 you need for the 2nd 10 pull aside from just play, which takes too long. So I usually just do the 10 pull and pull some singles. Really looking for a combination of any of Bennet/Xinq/Mona with at least one other halfway meta unit.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 25, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BabyRyoga posted:

Speaking of such, did something like 30 rerolls (usually 1x10 pull on the beginner banner + 6 single summons on the standard takes about 22 min to do from start) and I can understand why people don't like rerolling this game.

The odds seem so much lower than they actually are, and the forced Noelle makes things even more frustrating. I've gotten Qiqi twice but no other 5*s, and Xingqiu+Razor+Noelle once when I actually tested how long it takes to grind out the 2nd 10x pull (prob too long unless there is a more efficient way). I barely ever get more than just Noelle. I'm guessing the game uses some kind of pseudo randomness to prevent you from getting insane pulls with multiple characters very often?

I might wait to reroll for some time when there is a better free character (like Alloy) or a way to do 2 10x easier. I know it's not the hugest deal to force good units, but it's an OCD thing I have to not want to start unless I have 2-3 "outstanding" units that I can build for the long run.

all the big reroll activity happened around release when you could get 50+ rolls by AR10 from all the leveling + release bonuses
it'll be much more tedious now without any promotions active.
I don't think you really need a better character though, you get plenty of AR exp just from the first few story quests and domains which afaik are mostly platforming rather than combat. and you also get primogems from the story quests and end-of-domain chests

e:
also yeah the chances for rolls are actually very bad without the 'pity' system which gives a guaranteed 4* character every 10 rolls and 5* every 90 rolls -- more than half of all character rolls happen after pity kicks in, meaning you're pretty unlikely to get tons of stuff if you roll too few times to hit pity
to get any 5* at all is only 0.6% before the pity timer (which starts at 74 rolls and adds +6% for each additional fail until you either finally get one or it hits 100% at 90)
so if you roll ~20 times each reroll that's only an 11.4% chance to get a 5* at all, and if you want a specific one it's only 1/5th of that to get the one you want (if you roll on the standard banner instead of beginner it becomes 1/10 because of the 50% chance to get a 5* weapon instead, but if you roll on the event banner it will be a 50% chance to get Yoimiya (or later Baal) so it's much easier to reroll specifically for a banner character)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 25, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just so you know it's like... normal to just have the important four star characters. They all show up in shop rotations so if you are missing any you can just save for them with the secondary currency pretty easily. Granted they are adding more four stars so it might become more difficult in the future if they ever change that. I hesistate to call it normal because I unno gachas are finnicky anything can happen with rng but like Bennett isn't that impossible to find and also like questionably relevant until very late game.

If you plan on playing within the next month you should be able to amass enough gems from normal to play to have at least a shot at the upcoming limited banner which is the most hype thing in a while. This is likely much more impactful than who you start out with.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Also, no one's absolutely necessary to own, and ~meta~ only matters after at least like a month of playing. It's more important to like how the characters you have play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ryoga my goon you are allowed of course to have fun whichever way seems fit but I have got to tell you that this is high key unnecessary for this game and also pretty uhh kinda nuts