Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

runawayturtles posted:

Nana can be pretty soapy.

This is a great suggestion.

Well, with stipulations. Despite NANA being one of my very favorite things, the anime ending is abrupt and unsatisfying, and the manga has no ending at all (:cry:). It's still top tier melodrama with a kickin' rad punk setting. Content warning: one incidence of sexual violence

It's a rare thing to have manga or anime feel like it represents the real struggle of being a newly adult person in a very unforgiving society, and NANA does it in a way that felt closer to my experience when I was ~19-22 than any other media I've encountered. It's harsh and sad and tearjerking but the characters push on to the next day and the next hurdle that's standing between them and their dreams. It gets my heart all riled up. NANA is by the same mangaka as Paradise Kiss, so if anyone reading this liked the vibe of that series then check out her other works.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll add it to the list to consider then. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some hammy, soap opera-esque melodrama (e.g., Pretty Rhythm) and/or something with a stabbing involved (e.g., Haruhi, Pancreas, and Banana Fish). I've found shows like Clannad and anohana to be more frustrating than anything else, so I'd prefer to avoid anything in that vein.

Kasei Yakyoku

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Seconding Oniisama e. It's exactly what you're looking for. And if you like it, you might want to check out Rose of Versailles. Both source materials were written by the same author.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've watched 3 eps of Oniisama e now, and yeah this seems like the ticket. Everything else will have to wait for me to finish this 39 ep series.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some hammy, soap opera-esque melodrama (e.g., Pretty Rhythm) and/or something with a stabbing involved (e.g., Haruhi, Pancreas, and Banana Fish). I've found shows like Clannad and anohana to be more frustrating than anything else, so I'd prefer to avoid anything in that vein.

If you're willing to read a manga, go check out Oyasumi Punpun.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is probably the place in the subforum with the higher chance of finding people with encyclopedic knowledge of 70's/80's anime, so hear me out 'cause I need your help to solve a mystery that has been stuck in the back of my head for a long while.

In 1990 (yes, I'm old, thanks), I remember seeing on a local TV channel what was likely a shoujo anime of which I only recall tiny bits of the opening. Mentioning the TV channel itself won't help because it's completely obscure for anyone not living in my tiny European country, but I can tell you that any anime broadcasted there would have been from the 70's or 80's at most.

So, I what I can recall. Very kid friendly, the opening had a cheery song with musical notes flying about and surrounding a young girl, she's sitting (maybe atop some stairs or a book pile), and her head's bobbing to the tune. She may have been wearing a sailor fuku or just a plaid skirt. She may have had long, pastel pink or blonde hair. The background was likely black or just a dark color. That's it. That's all I remember.

I have no idea why earlier this year this popped up in my head, and it's funny how memory works that certain visual details are there but not completely, but it sure has been fun trying to find what show this was. In the process of trying to find it, I have rediscovered some other stuff I watched around that era but which I had forgotten too, including Majokko Megu-chan, and Candy Candy. And I also put a name to Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman which I religiously watched back then, but that I never bothered to look up even after playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom a few years back and recognizing those characters.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Been extremely bored so I tried browsing for relatively high rated stuff on MAL that I haven't seen yet. Any strong opinions on any of the following?

Erased
From the New World
Lull in the Sea
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Been extremely bored so I tried browsing for relatively high rated stuff on MAL that I haven't seen yet. Any strong opinions on any of the following?

Erased
From the New World

i haven't seen the others but both of these are extremely good

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

i haven't seen the others but both of these are extremely good

Never saw the Anime, but the manga was indeed extremely good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lull in the Sea

These are essentially the same show. Good if you enjoy teen dramas with messy relationships (with a focus on love triangles which perhaps don't quite resolve), but I found the supernatural aspects (the mermaids/ghosts) a bit underwhelming in how little they're explored.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Strange Quark posted:

These are essentially the same show. Good if you enjoy teen dramas with messy relationships (with a focus on love triangles which perhaps don't quite resolve), but I found the supernatural aspects (the mermaids/ghosts) a bit underwhelming in how little they're explored.

Ok cool. I'll probably save these two for later then and start with the first two on my list. Thanks everyone!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Erased
From the New World
Lull in the Sea

From the New World and Anohana are both really good.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey, people :wave:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre. Stuff like peeps forming an adventuring party and fighting monsters and doing some cool poo poo. Doesn't have to be someone from the real world getting sucked into a game world but I guess that's the popular motive. I've watched Overlord which was fairly good at first but fell off for me hard when the main char just became a heartless gently caress for no real reason. Also not a fan of the super sexual adoration some chars have for the main. Recently I stumbled over Rise of the Shield Hero and that was kinda lame too tbh. Had some parts that I liked but the writing was real weak and a ton of characters are just dumb assholes because the story seems to demand it to keep its shallow conflict going and going. The main ending up with a harem of sorts also put me off but I realize that this particular cliche can probably not be avoided. Idk if you have anything in mind that's sorta similar shoot it may way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre. Stuff like peeps forming an adventuring party and fighting monsters and doing some cool poo poo. Doesn't have to be someone from the real world getting sucked into a game world but I guess that's the popular motive. I've watched Overlord which was fairly good at first but fell off for me hard when the main char just became a heartless gently caress for no real reason. Also not a fan of the super sexual adoration some chars have for the main. Recently I stumbled over Rise of the Shield Hero and that was kinda lame too tbh. Had some parts that I liked but the writing was real weak and a ton of characters are just dumb assholes because the story seems to demand it to keep its shallow conflict going and going. The main ending up with a harem of sorts also put me off but I realize that this particular cliche can probably not be avoided. Idk if you have anything in mind that's sorta similar shoot it may way
Have you seen Slayers or Record of Lodoss War? Those are literally based on D&D sessions the authors had. Slayers especially is also a fun fantasy adventure thing in its own right.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Konosuba is this kind of show but it's also a comedy. The main character (and others for that matter) can be an rear end in a top hat but that's usually the setup for him becoming the butt of a joke because of it, if that would interest you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tin Tim posted:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre. Stuff like peeps forming an adventuring party and fighting monsters and doing some cool poo poo.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash is great, just don't expect closure or a second season due to IRL drama.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

Have you seen Slayers or Record of Lodoss War? Those are literally based on D&D sessions the authors had. Slayers especially is also a fun fantasy adventure thing in its own right.
Thanks for the reply. Skimmed through the first ep of Slayers and yeah it seems like something I want to give a chance. It's pretty old but that's fine since my first contact with anime goes back to the weird stuff that certain TV channels in europe would air once a week at night in the 90s. I've actually heard about Lodoss but my brain has saved the "fact" that it has some uncomfortable sex stuff in it so I never bothered to watch. Is that wrong?

Droyer posted:

Konosuba is this kind of show but it's also a comedy. The main character (and others for that matter) can be an rear end in a top hat but that's usually the setup for him becoming the butt of a joke because of it, if that would interest you.
Thanks for trying but I don't think it's for me

Paracelsus posted:

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash is great, just don't expect closure or a second season due to IRL drama.
E: Thanks, was typing and missed yours

After a short search it does look interesting so I might give it a watch later despite of the apparently unfortunate background

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 25, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tin Tim posted:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre.

I have a soft spot (aka brain damage) for Ragnarok the Animation from playing the game too long. It's kinda old and I haven't done a re-watch to see if it holds up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tin Tim posted:

Idk if they are "good" or not but Sword Art Online and all the spinoffs etc from that fit in this description more or less.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

what drama, i dont remember anytging

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

I have a soft spot (aka brain damage) for Ragnarok the Animation from playing the game too long. It's kinda old and I haven't done a re-watch to see if it holds up.
Thanks, I skimmed around in the first ep and yeah could maybe end up liking it

That Works posted:

Idk if they are "good" or not but Sword Art Online and all the spinoffs etc from that fit in this description more or less.
Thanks as well. Quick glance at the trailer makes it look like what I wanted to find

Gonna do some watching on the weekend and then see what sticks. Thanks again, everyone

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Just an FYI, the back half of every SAO season gets suuuuuper uncomfortable

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Just an FYI, the back half of every SAO season gets suuuuuper uncomfortable
Thanks for the warning, probably not mine then :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Record of Grancrest War

it doesn't really have the mechanical rpg stuff on its face but you have your mages and witches and plots and mustering parties/factions to battle

the production quality falls off more in the second season but overall it was an enjoyable find among recent fantasy stuff

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 25, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Mahoujin Guruguru

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

It's not explicitly a game nor does it have game-esque like, world mechanics idk (people don't literally level up/have stats etc) but you might want to give chaika the coffin princess a shot, it's a very good fantasy action anime with the kind of weird setting anachronisms (people cast spells by shooting guns!) you'd find in an rpg

I also really like grimgar but it's primarily a story about people struggling to survive dealing with grief, might be a little atypical for what you're looking for and I know a lot of people got pretty bored by it. A second season or continuation of the story is pretty unlikely given the first season was a while ago and it didn't exactly set the world on fire, I wasn't aware of irl drama surrounding that and would be very interested in more info if anyone has it

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the reply. Skimmed through the first ep of Slayers and yeah it seems like something I want to give a chance. It's pretty old but that's fine since my first contact with anime goes back to the weird stuff that certain TV channels in europe would air once a week at night in the 90s. I've actually heard about Lodoss but my brain has saved the "fact" that it has some uncomfortable sex stuff in it so I never bothered to watch. Is that wrong?

Thanks for trying but I don't think it's for me

E: Thanks, was typing and missed yours

After a short search it does look interesting so I might give it a watch later despite of the apparently unfortunate background

I really do not recall any sketchy sex stuff in Lodoss War. Might be confusing it with another. To add to them list, Rage of Bahamut Genesis is really good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
do not confuse record of lodoss war with record of agarest war

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

what drama, i dont remember anytging

Some of the cast/staff did a fake audition to haze someone.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Each season/movie/OVA of Slayers is a D&D campaign where everyone in the party is a dumb rear end in a top hat but in a good way and it's great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I really do not recall any sketchy sex stuff in Lodoss War. Might be confusing it with another. To add to them list, Rage of Bahamut Genesis is really good.

Oh poo poo yeah you definitely want rage of bahamut genesis, really good show based on some crummy game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tin Tim posted:

Go watch Sorcerer Stabber Orphen. The original 2002 version specifically. The dub's great and it's a nice long fantasy story with zero harem antics and great characters.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Tin Tim posted:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre. Stuff like peeps forming an adventuring party and fighting monsters and doing some cool poo poo.

I think you would enjoy Log Horizon. it does start with a sucked into a game premise, but has a lot of fun with it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Finally got around to watching Anohana and I enjoyed it a lot. Any other melodramas to suggest? Modernish setting preferred, Mari Okada a plus, and if it matches the change in season that'd be great. I watched Totadora around this time last year and it went well with the temperature starting to dip into the single digits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Finally got around to watching Anohana and I enjoyed it a lot. Any other melodramas to suggest? Modernish setting preferred, Mari Okada a plus, and if it matches the change in season that'd be great. I watched Totadora around this time last year and it went well with the temperature starting to dip into the single digits.

Iron Blooded Orphans has some great scenes set in the snow if you haven't seen it, but it mixes the Mari Okada melodrama with futuristic giant robot warfare, which might not be what you're in the mood for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Anthem of the Heart and Her Blue Sky are two great movies written by Mari Okada that might be just what you're looking for.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

The most explicitly RPG game-like isekais I can think of are:

That time I got reincarnated as a slime
It's it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon
So I'm a spider, so what
Re: zero

But the true connoisseur knows that isekais based on dating sims are what you REALLY want I'm shilling for "my next life as a villainess" deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tin Tim posted:

Actually I've got another recommendation that might work; Infinite Dendrogram. It's an MMORPG adventure series hinting real hard that it might maybe/probably secretly be an Isekai, but it has a solid set of self-set rules around the game's behaviours it never breaks or tries to bullshit around on the spur of the moment and it's a decent little 13-episode series. Nothing fantastic, but a fun enough watch.