Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

When it's on a suzuki it's a DzJP fastner.

I think you'll find it's DJIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just going to pick up a set since it’s a pain to buy individually I guess.

Rest of the bolts on the bike seem to be fairly standard so I’ll check to see if any of the weird chinese bolt kits I bought for the Ninja 250 way back when can be substituted for this mish-mash of everything holding the rest of the bodywork in place.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Get one of those packs of 500 stainless hex cap bolt sets off ebay or amazon:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...bolts&_osacat=0

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think replacing all the fasteners will be a long term quality of life thing. Shouldn’t fail safety for annoying bolt reasons, other than actually missing bolts. Going to see if I can make tomorrow’s goal to identify and fix my wheel-lock throttle problem :cool:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a DRC tail light and is actually really nice. One of the nicest ones you can get for the DRZ.

No idea what shape yours is in or what else is going on, but if you were assuming it was cheap pep-boys garbage, it’s actually well made

I feel like there is enough meat on those bolts to grab with a pair of vise grips but maybe the picture just makes it seem that way?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Martytoof posted:

I’ll try the dremel idea and I’m gonna go run out get some pb-blaster right now.

Once you've dremeled a slot, just make sure you use you hammer impact driver on it. Those things are great and it's good that you have one.

Every mechanic needs to learn how to cope with stuck fasteners. It's like a lottery that can turn a five minute job into a multi-day ordeal. Penetrating fluids usually help a little and cant hurt so everyone uses them - sometimes a little help is all you need. If you get any movement out of the thing it can be a good idea to coax it back and forth a little to work the fluid into the thread before backing it all the way out. Heat is also your friend. Thermal expansion causes movement and heat makes the corrosion oxides soft. Oxy torches, map gas or butane torches, welders or even electric heat guns are commonly used for this by amateurs and professionals alike. If there's plastic, rubber or paint nearby heat isn't always possible to use obviously.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'd be curious how much soak time actually makes a difference for penetrating oils but my personal experience has been if I have the time, spraying kroil or pb blaster a day ahead of time and then again the day of seems to help. I'm open to some scientific explanation as to how that doesn't actually do poo poo, but I feel like it helps. Also, trying to tighten it a bit before loosening it definitely helps, and it took me way too long to figure out I needed to only use 6 point sockets vs 12 point for stuck bolts.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The Project Farm guy has done a whole series on the subject that sheds some light on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjT3B9r2z3fWiqVPUH6xL1n_JMwH6FMm2

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Dzus nuts

Got em

Thanks though, that seems to be the ticket

E: ugh drat these are expensive as poo poo. Kind of want to see if I can just replace them with regular bolts again.

Mods if this poster replaces a single Dzus fastener with a normal bolt I want them permabanned.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd always assumed dzus stood for something and mentally pronounced it "dee-zuss" but apparently it's just the surname of the guy invented them and it's pronounced like "zoose"

Somehow I only now bothered to look this up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Mods if this poster replaces a single Dzus fastener with a normal bolt I want them permabanned.

Agreed although I think the female portion of the dzus fasteners are welded to the frame, so one does not simply “replace” them on a DRZ without drilling and tapping aplenty

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s a DRC tail light and is actually really nice. One of the nicest ones you can get for the DRZ.

No idea what shape yours is in or what else is going on, but if you were assuming it was cheap pep-boys garbage, it’s actually well made

I feel like there is enough meat on those bolts to grab with a pair of vise grips but maybe the picture just makes it seem that way?

Yeah I looked it up and it's not a bad unit but I'm definitely going to replace it with OEM for now just to be 100% sure on safety certificate passing, and also one of the blinkers has a tendency to fall out of its rubber stalk so it probably needs a little gluing in place. I might put it back up after I pass safety and clean up the rust etc., but I'll definitely re-do the wiring so I can make it more readily replaceable.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What if I replace them with zipties like PO did? :colbert:

But yeah, this was a heat-of-the-moment observation but I found a set of four for $20 so no worries :cool:

Conversely, now that I see how easy they are to pull off I kind of want the same for the rest of the fasteners. Too bad they don't fit.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Agreed although I think the female portion of the dzus fasteners are welded to the frame, so one does not simply “replace” them on a DRZ without drilling and tapping aplenty

I 100% thought these were some PO fuckery but it was pretty cool to see an OEM put these on for easy access. Hell, I have to disassemble half my Ninja to get to the fusebox or relays, the least an OEM could do is make it easy to take fairings off.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
It's worth buying a set of JIS screw drivers to use in the future as well to avoid rounding screws yourself. Is it weird I find it really satisfying when a screwdriver fits a screw just right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No it's one of the best feelings. Especially if you're struggling with one that's fixed in place and you feel it CRACK open positively and confidently. No better feeling :)

no better feeling knowing you don't have to pb-blast and dremel

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: Taking to another thread.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I can't figure out what's causing my DRZ's turn signals to not work. A while back I noticed my left rear turn signal was loose, signals still functioned except for this one. I wiggled and messed with it enough to where I ripped the leads out. Cue none of them working now. All I get is a quick flick of light on the turn signal indicator in the cluster (once per startup, won't do it more than once per), no signals work at all. I replaced the turn signals and the relay behind the cowl, STILL nothing. I have no clue, I suck at electrical problems and I'm kind of a poo poo newbie mechanic. Any ideas? I'd rather figure this out with some help instead of taking it to the dealership and letting them charge me however much for what is probably something insignificant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wonder if the wiring or contacts on the relay connector could be corroded or worn? I'm just glancing through the clymer manual for the DRZ the PO helpfully threw in but I'm seeing precious little about troubleshooting this specifically. Here's everything they say about the relay, and it looks like it's just testing the relay itself so probably not helpful if you've already replaced it.

e: I think Suzuki 09900-25008 is just a bog standard multimeter but I could be wrong.

---

My own two questions:

- Without getting into a "hey I want to restore this bike" project because that's not my goal, how worried and active should I be about rust on the frame? There's no holes or massive corrosion but around the swingarm pivot there's a bit of rust forming, and the kickstand is basically all surface rust. Is this just a "lightly dremel wire wheel away whatever surface rust exists, apply rust converter and touch-up cover paint to keep from oxidizing" situation if I plan to keep this bike long-term? Or is there a better approach to this? Goal is to not undertake any drastic rebuilds, and to be clear this is low on my priority list but is something I should probably deal with at some point before it gets worse (?)

- What are fork boots for? Is it just to protect against mud/offroad garbage? One of them has a little cracking rubber, the other has a cracked plastic boot ... holder? If I just take them off for now and not replace them until I'm ready to start doing things offroad is that an OK thing or do they serve some other integral purpose? The SM model doesn't seem to have them but I don't know if it has different forks or not.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 26, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah take the rust off, paint over it with something to keep oxygen off the bare metal. Easy as that.

The kickstand? Eh, it’s easily replaceable. Go for some trick aftermarket one, or just get another Suzuki one. It’s not with messing with in my mind. By the time you get it looking nice you could have just bought one

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

I can't figure out what's causing my DRZ's turn signals to not work. A while back I noticed my left rear turn signal was loose, signals still functioned except for this one. I wiggled and messed with it enough to where I ripped the leads out. Cue none of them working now. All I get is a quick flick of light on the turn signal indicator in the cluster (once per startup, won't do it more than once per), no signals work at all. I replaced the turn signals and the relay behind the cowl, STILL nothing. I have no clue, I suck at electrical problems and I'm kind of a poo poo newbie mechanic. Any ideas? I'd rather figure this out with some help instead of taking it to the dealership and letting them charge me however much for what is probably something insignificant.

Turn signal relays operate off of the amount of electrical resistance in the circuit. If it's off, it will blink too quickly, or not at all. My bike had its signals rewired into the taillight housing (where, in Japan, they were originally) and the signals blink too quickly, even though they seem otherwise normal. They did this even when I moved the signals back to their US positions. This might even be caused just by too much wiring that isn't being used... or, who knows what. Whatever it is, it's confusing the relay.

I "fixed" it by buying one of those electronic turn signal relays that you need to buy for LED blinkers. These turn signal relays don't go off of the amount of resistance in the circuit and will just blink at the same rate every time, because they're microprocessor-controlled. (Because of this, though, you wouldn't be able to tell when a turn signal has gone out if you're not looking at the signal.)

So, that might be worth a shot. Otherwise, check all connections, making sure no wires are internally broken, and that all connectors are snug. (And that no bulbs are out, of course.)

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I've tried two different relays after the original, they're billed as 7 pin suzuki relays for a drz. Is there something else I should be trying to use? When I pulled the old relay to swap in the new one, they appeared to be exactly the same thing and the new ones fit perfectly. I ordered a second replacement because I thought I might have shorted the first one out due to putting the relay in and THEN splicing in the new signals, and somehow crossing some wires. Second time the battery was unhooked and the relay hadn't been touched while I fiddled with the splices again.

E: I'll try testing the relay, I just need to buy a Clymer instead of trying to use online resources and having it be disorganized. I'd rather have paper to read while working.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the oil check process on a DRZ400? I got a clymer manual but not the original owner manual. I've deduced:

- Idle engine 3-5 min
- Stop, let sit 5 min
- Stand bike vertical
- Pull dipstick, wipe, sit dipstick on threads and pull out to read?

Right, or do I need to adjust?

Not that I am, but in a scenario where I'm concerned about my actual oil level, how would I know if it's safe to start the engine to even let it idle the 3-5 min? I'd sure hate to start it and find out I have critically low oil for some reason I can't think of right now, but effectively tear things up by running somewhat dry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But Not Tonight posted:

Try checking if the indicator switch is working. The brief flicker implies a short to earth, are you sure you got the wires all in the right place and nothing is touching the frame? Have you got a multimeter? The shotgun method will not help here.

Martytoof posted:

- What are fork boots for? Is it just to protect against mud/offroad garbage? One of them has a little cracking rubber, the other has a cracked plastic boot ... holder? If I just take them off for now and not replace them until I'm ready to start doing things offroad is that an OK thing or do they serve some other integral purpose? The SM model doesn't seem to have them but I don't know if it has different forks or not.

They're just another layer of defense against crap smashing the stanchion chrome and packing the fork seal and dust seal. If you have dust seals under there I'd take them off, of the fork seals themselves are exposed I'd leave them on.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm currently balls deep in Tuono parts after disassembling half of it to diagnose a no-start problem. I've narrowed it down to something related to the fueling pump as it starts with ether, the battery is always above 12.8V and I've checked the fuel pump harness on the battery side, it's getting 12V. When it first died, it was just idling in the driveway after about 2 hours of city riding

According to the manual I measured the fuel pump relay in both powered and unpowered states and got 0 Ohms for both measurements for some reason, it says that unpowered the relay should measure infinity (open loop?) but mine just said 0 for whatever reason. I'm unsure this is the issue though because I also tried to direct connect the pump side of the harness to a battery and nothing happened. I measured for resistance/continuity and got ~4.8 Ohms when putting positive and negative to the corresponding fuel pump prongs. So I assume that means there isn't a break in the wiring?

Anyone had to deal with a bad pump before and know what the symptoms/behavior was?

I'm just trying to figure out what exactly needs to be replaced in there since the entire pump assembly is about 350$ and it's recommended due to the difficulty in attaching the fuel filter element (looks like a little bag) to the pump if you purchase a non-OEM substitute.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The generic pump gauze thing is overstated, it isn't that hard to sort it out, people are just weak and want everything to self assemble. It looks like the actual filter element is #6, the gauze is usually useless as a filter and is just a debris screen for the pump.

Assuming you don't have a fuel pressure tester, which is the 'right' way, I would run 12 directly to the two pump terminals with the fuel line disconnected from the rail and pointing in a bucket (or just use a length of hose). It should jet out pretty loving rapidly.

Failing fuel pumps can range anywhere from bike doesn't start to bike starts and idles but won't ride, to bike rides but coughs and sputters under power. Sometimes they only play up after a long ride with low fuel level because they get too hot and seize, it's why you shouldn't run around with the low fuel light too much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

What's the oil check process on a DRZ400? I got a clymer manual but not the original owner manual. I've deduced:

- Idle engine 3-5 min
- Stop, let sit 5 min
- Stand bike vertical
- Pull dipstick, wipe, sit dipstick on threads and pull out to read?

Right, or do I need to adjust?

Not that I am, but in a scenario where I'm concerned about my actual oil level, how would I know if it's safe to start the engine to even let it idle the 3-5 min? I'd sure hate to start it and find out I have critically low oil for some reason I can't think of right now, but effectively tear things up by running somewhat dry.

Generically (i.e. I'm not 100% sure if it applies to the DRZ specifically but I'd be very surprised if it didn't) if there's any oil at all on the dipstick when it's cold it'll be absolutely fine to start.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

The generic pump gauze thing is overstated, it isn't that hard to sort it out, people are just weak and want everything to self assemble. It looks like the actual filter element is #6, the gauze is usually useless as a filter and is just a debris screen for the pump.

Assuming you don't have a fuel pressure tester, which is the 'right' way, I would run 12 directly to the two pump terminals with the fuel line disconnected from the rail and pointing in a bucket (or just use a length of hose). It should jet out pretty loving rapidly.

Failing fuel pumps can range anywhere from bike doesn't start to bike starts and idles but won't ride, to bike rides but coughs and sputters under power. Sometimes they only play up after a long ride with low fuel level because they get too hot and seize, it's why you shouldn't run around with the low fuel light too much.

that's interesting because it sounds pretty close to what i was noticing. the PO put a bunch of mods i'm now convinced he had no idea what they did onto it including a modified fuel map EPROM as well as replaced a bunch of poo poo in the fuel tank... looks like i'm paying for that now

while it WAS working, i noticed it would sputter/bog after i shifted past 3rd under power. after a little bit it would sort itself out or if i downshifted. i assumed it was the fuel map chip but i guess it was the pump just dying

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Try checking if the indicator switch is working. The brief flicker implies a short to earth, are you sure you got the wires all in the right place and nothing is touching the frame? Have you got a multimeter? The shotgun method will not help here.

tbh I disliked the old indicators and wanted new ones of my choosing anyway, I didn't expect that to fix it since I was already advised it could be the relay. I'm fairly sure I got the wires right, considering all I did was snip the old ones and use wago (is this a brand name or the style?) connectors while matching up the colors. I'll double check while looking for exposed wires, though the everything looked pretty well placed and wrapped up to my untrained eye. I've got a multimeter, what am I looking for?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Getting real tempted to buy a radial front brake master cylinder for my 2008 SV650SF and some rearsets.

Can anyone decrypt the various Brembo master cylinders that are available or suggest which one would best fit the stock SV brake calipers?

This one seems like the "right price" and STG says it fits the SV, but there are several variations:

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/brembo-19mmx18mm-gp-mk2-radial-brake-master-cylinder/

Or this version that's $60 more with a folding brake lever:
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/brembo-19mmx18mm-gp-mk2-radial-brake-master-cylinder-w-folding-lever/

Scrolling through old SV Rider threads, it sounds like the R6 and R1 brembo BMCs might also be good swaps, but the model years referenced are 15+ years old now. I'm generally comfortable with my R6 throttle tube, but I'm not sure about picking up a random BMC off ebay that would probably need to be rebuilt or something.

Any thoughts here?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

that's interesting because it sounds pretty close to what i was noticing. the PO put a bunch of mods i'm now convinced he had no idea what they did onto it including a modified fuel map EPROM as well as replaced a bunch of poo poo in the fuel tank... looks like i'm paying for that now

while it WAS working, i noticed it would sputter/bog after i shifted past 3rd under power. after a little bit it would sort itself out or if i downshifted. i assumed it was the fuel map chip but i guess it was the pump just dying

Check inside the tank, you may just have a rupture in the line going from the pump to the filter. Very common PO ailment on Ducatis at least, I've never seen the inside of a tuono tank but the diagram looks very ducatish.

But Not Tonight posted:

tbh I disliked the old indicators and wanted new ones of my choosing anyway, I didn't expect that to fix it since I was already advised it could be the relay. I'm fairly sure I got the wires right, considering all I did was snip the old ones and use wago (is this a brand name or the style?) connectors while matching up the colors. I'll double check while looking for exposed wires, though the everything looked pretty well placed and wrapped up to my untrained eye. I've got a multimeter, what am I looking for?

I had to google those connectors, I have never seen them before but they look like something designed for a car stereo and are really not the thing. Bullet connectors or weatherpack connectors are more appropriate. But if it's all wired correctly it likely isn't the problem. If you fitted new indicators, and they're LED, they will not function properly with the factory relay but this usually just makes them flash super fast. They're also polarized and the wire colors may not have anything to do with the factory colors.

If all of that is fine, check for 12v at the relay, the connector to the switch, the indicator. If you want to check the switch, find the three wires and run a continuity test at the various switch positions. Check that the indicator earths have continuity to earth.

MetaJew posted:

Getting real tempted to buy a radial front brake master cylinder for my 2008 SV650SF and some rearsets.

Can anyone decrypt the various Brembo master cylinders that are available or suggest which one would best fit the stock SV brake calipers?

This one seems like the "right price" and STG says it fits the SV, but there are several variations:

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/brembo-19mmx18mm-gp-mk2-radial-brake-master-cylinder/

Or this version that's $60 more with a folding brake lever:
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/brembo-19mmx18mm-gp-mk2-radial-brake-master-cylinder-w-folding-lever/

Scrolling through old SV Rider threads, it sounds like the R6 and R1 brembo BMCs might also be good swaps, but the model years referenced are 15+ years old now. I'm generally comfortable with my R6 throttle tube, but I'm not sure about picking up a random BMC off ebay that would probably need to be rebuilt or something.

Any thoughts here?

Going to a radial will give you a wooden feel and sudden bite, with a frustrating lack of actual power, because the SV's issue is the crappy sliding calipers. I would calculate the cost of a basic brembo vs r6 MC + rebuild kit and get the cheapest, the performance difference is academic. I would get braided lines if you don't have them already, they are the best bang for buck improvement you can make. I would get high quality sintered pads if you haven't already. I would clean and grease the caliper slides thoroughly, clean the pad seats and shims and everything else too.

None of this will greatly improve stopping power, it will just make it easier to get the most out of it. The real fix is switching to 4 piston calipers, easily done by just swapping to a gsxr600 front end which also kills another bird, the terrible stock forks. It is a life-changing upgrade for the SV, that + a zx6 shock pretty much transforms them into a race bike because the SV has like, a GP level chassis. Idk what prices are like now but you used to be able to pick up a complete gixxer front end for less than the cost of refurbishing brakes and forks on an SV, the swap is fairly painless but you do need to move to an alternative solution for the speedo, which isn't for everyone.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

the SV has like, a GP level chassis

On a tangent, is there much difference between the generations of SV chassis in terms of said stiffness? The aluminium tube truss vs the diamond aluminium truss vs the steel tube truss

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

Going to a radial will give you a wooden feel and sudden bite, with a frustrating lack of actual power, because the SV's issue is the crappy sliding calipers. I would calculate the cost of a basic brembo vs r6 MC + rebuild kit and get the cheapest, the performance difference is academic. I would get braided lines if you don't have them already, they are the best bang for buck improvement you can make. I would get high quality sintered pads if you haven't already. I would clean and grease the caliper slides thoroughly, clean the pad seats and shims and everything else too.

None of this will greatly improve stopping power, it will just make it easier to get the most out of it. The real fix is switching to 4 piston calipers, easily done by just swapping to a gsxr600 front end which also kills another bird, the terrible stock forks. It is a life-changing upgrade for the SV, that + a zx6 shock pretty much transforms them into a race bike because the SV has like, a GP level chassis. Idk what prices are like now but you used to be able to pick up a complete gixxer front end for less than the cost of refurbishing brakes and forks on an SV, the swap is fairly painless but you do need to move to an alternative solution for the speedo, which isn't for everyone.

I don't think a GSXR600 front end swap works very well with the SV650S model-- I've only ever seen it done on the naked models. That said there's a local suspension guy that has been recommending some drop in cartridges to improve the front suspension. At the moment, I just have it resprung for my weight and have valve emulators installed. On the rear I have an Ohlins shock that he just rebuilt, also sprung for my weight. I've been avoiding dumping much more money into it, because I think I eventually want to buy an Aprilia RS660.

With the factory BMC, the front brake lever feel is always a little spongy. I've managed to improve it some by bleeding them, and then pumping the pistons out a few centimeters and scrubbing them with soapy water until the pistons push out evenly from the caliper-- instead of one piston pushing out farther than the other. More recently when I tried this, I could not seem to get the pistons synchronized. Maybe a brake caliper rebuild is in order.

Edit: And yes I have SS brake lines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

On a tangent, is there much difference between the generations of SV chassis in terms of said stiffness? The aluminium tube truss vs the diamond aluminium truss vs the steel tube truss

Idk enough about the first gen to say.

The diamond frame is widely regarded as the best. The gladius works just as well but it's heavier. I've not played around with the current trellis design.

MetaJew posted:

I don't think a GSXR600 front end swap works very well with the SV650S model-- I've only ever seen it done on the naked models. That said there's a local suspension guy that has been recommending some drop in cartridges to improve the front suspension. At the moment, I just have it resprung for my weight and have valve emulators installed. On the rear I have an Ohlins shock that he just rebuilt, also sprung for my weight. I've been avoiding dumping much more money into it, because I think I eventually want to buy an Aprilia RS660.

With the factory BMC, the front brake lever feel is always a little spongy. I've managed to improve it some by bleeding them, and then pumping the pistons out a few centimeters and scrubbing them with soapy water until the pistons push out evenly from the caliper-- instead of one piston pushing out farther than the other. More recently when I tried this, I could not seem to get the pistons synchronized. Maybe a brake caliper rebuild is in order.

Edit: And yes I have SS brake lines.

They will never be synchronizing or whatever, that's a bizarre thing to consider. One will always have slightly more friction or whatever and all it takes is a tiny bit of resistance to make the other one move instead, like an open diff on a car. When they're both against the pad they'll both move evenly. The slide pins are the main thing, if they're worn they create sideways play that takes up some of the MC travel. If you already have suspension work done it's not worth doing a fork swap, iirc you can buy brackets that let you fit 4 pot nissins which would be worthwhile, but then you need a bigger MC anyway so you may as well get one of those first.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

I figured I would update you guys on my bike delivery.
Surprise! It's a HUGE Italian bagger that shouldn't exist lol

Shipping guy sucked. Delivered away from my house with a dead battery and scuffs on the bags, he didn't help at all and just left. Rode it home in the rain with no plate or temp tags after jump starting it. The delivery driver thought the bleeders on the handlebars was to put air in the shocks :doh: (I really hope he didn't try it)

The big issue is the bike has the ABS and traction light steady on. There is a system called MGCT that let's you adjust the traction control levels on the modern Guzzis. The lights are supposed to flash and go out. I can't re-enable the MGCT as the right handgrip mode button won't move left or right on mine. I'm completely lost on this thing lol

Dealer has been no help and is all the way in NV I am north of Pittsburgh. There's no dealers around me even if I wanted to pay out of pocket to diagnose it.

Oh yeah I still can't legally ride it. No plates or paperwork was ready with the bike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Return it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BrownieVK posted:

I figured I would update you guys on my bike delivery.
Surprise! It's a HUGE Italian bagger that shouldn't exist lol

Shipping guy sucked. Delivered away from my house with a dead battery and scuffs on the bags, he didn't help at all and just left. Rode it home in the rain with no plate or temp tags after jump starting it. The delivery driver thought the bleeders on the handlebars was to put air in the shocks :doh: (I really hope he didn't try it)

The big issue is the bike has the ABS and traction light steady on. There is a system called MGCT that let's you adjust the traction control levels on the modern Guzzis. The lights are supposed to flash and go out. I can't re-enable the MGCT as the right handgrip mode button won't move left or right on mine. I'm completely lost on this thing lol

Dealer has been no help and is all the way in NV I am north of Pittsburgh. There's no dealers around me even if I wanted to pay out of pocket to diagnose it.

Oh yeah I still can't legally ride it. No plates or paperwork was ready with the bike.

Sweet fancy Moses. You need to get Guzzi corporate on the line and skip the dealership. This is totally unacceptable for a $4k bike, much less whatever this thing cost. Is the shipper their shipper or yours?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gorson is correct.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Would this be the right thread for questions about a battery/issue with a 2013 F800GS?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Captain McAllister posted:

Would this be the right thread for questions about a battery/issue with a 2013 F800GS?

Yes sir, it’s the Questions thread, don’t ask to ask, just ask ;)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On the one hand that seems par for the course for guzzi ownership. On the other, you need to tell someone to go gently caress themselves and make it right.

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is routing a speedo cable and brake line down the forks through these …

… a terrible idea? I replaced the fork mounted boot holders on my DRZ but the original cable routing thing snapped. I can’t think of an reason it would be awful but who knows.I gather I’d just need to make sure there’s no compression on the forks when I mount it so I know it’ll never extend beyond where it’s held…