Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

don't lie to me you paid ccp shill, that's obviously the wuhan lab where they cooked up the coronavirus

pumpkin spice variant just in time for the leaves to drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Japan is also super chuddy and the chud US and japan are closer than either country would care to admit.

Listen to Dan Carlin's "Supernova in the East" podcast series, specifically the interwar governance-via-assassination section where he covers how the Japanese basically would murder each other to prove who was more conservative in service to the emperor. It's apeshit and also super familiar.

I heard japan/Korea are considered deadend places career wise for professional Chinese women just bc of how insanely sexist their workplaces are. funnily enough China has more female execs in proportional and absolute terms than America

Mao did more for epic girl bosses than Hillary ever did

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Crossing my fingers for the variant that makes people bleed from every orafice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

the reality is this:

https://psa.gov.ph/vital-statistics/table

In 2019, a total of 95,000 people died of respiratory illness.

In 2020, it was just 84,000. That already includes the 27,000 who died from Covid. Because the lockdowns actually also stopped the spread of flu and other respiratory disease down to just 57,000.

Yet were people back in 2019 demanding we lock down because of the flu? Of course not. Because you would have been branded a crazy person if you did in 2019!

love people doing the "just flu" bit in 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lastgirl posted:

can I hide a hot dog in my sleeve so the count down timer can't see it

like a cheat meal???

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/ACurrentAffair9/status/1430056780273528854?s=20

look at the size of this guy's head

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Seriously though, what is happening in California schools right now? Washington has one week to get their poo poo together and we seem really loving focused on just throwing out everything we learned from last year and going back to the previous decades as if nothing was going on.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Boat Stuck posted:

that's the nuttiest thing about this

i'd never have expected the outcome of a pandemic to be, hey we have this near miraculous treatment ready in 9 months, and it's free and widely available, but a good 1/3 of the population (2/3 in some places) rather eat horse paste instead

I expected exactly this thing. Historically, humans don't deal well with disease. Some assholes just ruin poo poo for everyone else.

If we were rational as a species, we could destroy covid in 40 days with lockdowns. However if we were rational, we would be eradicating diseases left and right. No more STD's, no more polio, no more measles, mumps or rubella. Gone from the earth. Poof. Go a little father and if we were rational there would be no war or famine. We wouldn't destroy our environment or have threatened the world multiple times with nuclear annihilation.

We're not rational. And as a group we're frequently pretty dumb and irrational. A lot of people, in fact most of them, don't know how to assess risk. Especially in a post-truth substrate that is the internet which is poisoning our brains in new and exciting ways that we barely understand. People being contrary and dumb and lied to was always the most logical outcome. We're humans. Humans do dumb human poo poo. The humans of today eat horse dewormer. Some humans during the black death would rub the blood of plague victims into their eyes as a way to ward off disease and scream out devotions to God while traveling from town to town to spread the disease. poo poo like disease just breaks the brains of some people. Or their brains were already broken. Or they're horrible misanthropes who just want to punish the world for its cruelty.

That said, we'll eventually figure out covid. We can't live with it long term. It's just too destructive. Articles about it being endemic, literally a permanent feature is laughable. It's too lethal and it mutates too fast. It's a disease from bats. They have S tier immune systems. A jump to humans is like someone from the major leagues stepping down to the minors. We will never, ever be able to live with covid long term. It will style on us until we eradicate it.

Honestly I think that the real reason that covid will be resolved will be because too many people will die and capital doesn't want to have to negotiate with labor on fair terms. Capital requires surplus labor so it can exploit us. Each round of covid will reduce the surplus labor population. The less surplus labor there is the harder it is to exploit labor. And if covid is endemic then it's just going to run us over every six months to a year as some new mutation/variant runs us over again and once again reduces the exploitable surplus population.

So my guess is that eventually capital will step in to attempt to put an actual end to covid. Not for any good or rational or sane reason. But because the deaths and chaos caused by covid fucks with the money. And capital does not like it when you gently caress with the money.

Or

poo poo gets too bad before capital comes to the realization that covid is terrible for their bottom line and we get particularly nasty revolts after some India-style death situation. Not immediately, but as a reaction to letting it get so bad that we're seeing tens of thousands of deaths a day as covid peaks. Where you get a million or two deaths every month or more until poo poo is brought under control or completely spirals out of control and it burns out on its own. And then comes reaction as it rears its head.

We're not just going to get out of this with a vaccine. Science won't solve this. Not alone. We could get out of this with universal mask usage. That's the minimum requirement but it's still doable. But that's a social problem. And in America we generally don't resolve social problems. We fight over them. So until we actually resolve the social problem, expect a minority of idiot humans to be idiot humans and gently caress up everything for everyone because that's the history of how the world works. It's only when they're exhausted by the consequences of their idiocy that we can see about taking care of the social problems. But something big has to break first or the people in charge have to actually, truly step in and govern for the social problem that is a loud, idiot minority of people are quashed long enough to resolve covid.

Until then mask up, keep your pantry full, tend to your mental health and keep your head down. Endemic covid is not a long term problem. It's too disruptive and destructive to be a long term problem.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 25, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fix posted:

Seriously though, what is happening in California schools right now? Washington has one week to get their poo poo together and we seem really loving focused on just throwing out everything we learned from last year and going back to the previous decades as if nothing was going on.

california, at least my county/city, is doing opt-in in-person or "online" programs. 99% of students here opted to do in-person starting in a week lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

I expected exactly this thing. Historically, humans don't deal well with disease. Some assholes just ruin poo poo for everyone else.

If we were rational as a species, we could destroy covid in 40 days with lockdowns. However if we were rational, we wouldn't have war or famine or destroy our environment or have threatened the world multiple times with nuclear annihilation.

We're not rational. And as a group we're frequently pretty dumb and irrational. We don't know how to assess risk. Especially in a post-truth substrate that is the internet which is poisoning our brains in new and exciting ways that we barely understand. People being contrary and dumb and lied to was always the most logical outcome. We're humans. Humans do dumb human poo poo. The humans of today eat horse dewormer. Some humans during the black death would rub the blood of plague victims into their eyes as a way to ward off disease and scream out devotions to God. poo poo like disease just breaks the brains of some people. Or their brains were already broken. Or they're horrible misanthropes who just want to punish the world for its cruelty.

That said, we'll eventually figure out covid. We can't live with it long term. It's just too destructive. Articles about it being endemic, literally a permanent feature is laughable. It's too lethal and it mutates too fast.

Honestly I think that the real reason that covid will be resolved will be because too many people will die and capital doesn't want to have to negotiate with labor on fair terms. Capital requires surplus labor so it can exploit us. Each round of covid will reduce the surplus labor population. The less surplus labor there is the harder it is to exploit labor. So my guess is that eventually capital will step in to attempt to put an actual end to covid. Not for any good or rational or sane reason. But because the deaths and chaos caused by covid fucks with the money. And capital does not like it when you gently caress with the money.

Or

poo poo gets too bad before capital comes to the realization that covid is terrible for their bottom line and we get particularly nasty revolts after some India-style death situation. Not immediately, but as a reaction to letting it get so bad that we're seeing tens of thousands of deaths a day as covid peaks. Where you get a million or two deaths every month or more until poo poo is brought under control or completely spirals out of control and it burns out on its own. And then comes reaction as it rears its head.

We're not just going to get out of this with a vaccine. Science won't solve this. Not alone. We could get out of this with universal mask usage. That's the minimum requirement but it's still doable. But that's a social problem. And in America we generally don't resolve social problems. We fight over them. So until we actually resolve the social problem, expect a minority of idiot humans to be idiot humans and gently caress up everything for everyone because that's the history of how the world works. It's only when they're exhausted by the consequences of their idiocy that we can see about taking care of the social problems. But something big has to break first or the people in charge have to actually, truly step in and govern for the social problem that is a loud, idiot minority of people are quashed long enough to resolve covid.

Until then mask up, keep your pantry full, tend to your mental health and keep your head down. Endemic covid is not a long term problem. It's too disruptive and destructive to be a long term problem.
sure, or maybe COVID is OVER

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Delta-Wye posted:

sure, or maybe COVID is OVER

Give me brunch or give me death.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When they sedate me and put the tube in

I’m going to think about this thread and chuckle one last time before I black out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Phisherman posted:

If we were rational as a species, we could destroy covid in 40 days with lockdowns. However if we were rational, we would be eradicating diseases left and right. No more STD's, no more polio, no more measles, mumps or rubella. Gone from the earth. Poor. Go a little father and if we were rational there would be no war or famine. We wouldn't destroy our environment or have threatened the world multiple times with nuclear annihilation.

yeah, the same impulses that prevent "us" (because it's not all of us, just a lot of us) from eradicating COVID are the same impulses that prevent us from being able to eliminate a lot of things that cause "excess death"

COVID just happens to be something that's way too obtrusive for us too sweep under the rug like a bunch of other poo poo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

lol WA, well SPS, has thrown out every safety measure they had in place when they opened last spring
it's just insane, loving absurd
oh it's okay they'll test and quarantine so all is well

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

covid is wild yo this pandemic sucks rear end

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

give it a chance

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tzen posted:

lol WA, well SPS, has thrown out every safety measure they had in place when they opened last spring
it's just insane, loving absurd
oh it's okay they'll test and quarantine so all is well

Oh, are you testing down there? Good job!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
If I'm suffering from Havana syndrome and COVID at the same (fml) how much horse paste do I need to eat. Also my bladder is hyperactive

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm suffering from Havana

Havana good time!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Watch or read The Princes of Yen, Japan adopted a light USSR-style command economy post-war that was focused on consumer goods but the people in charge were the same people who ran the imperial Japanese wartime economy.

Amusingly enough trying to replace that command economy with an American-style economy resulted in the nineties crash and the ongoing Japanese bedshitting.

that documentary owned.

i feel like the conclusion of "japan sent their brightest to the US to be educated in dumbshit neoliberal economics and when they came back they accidently hosed up the quasi-command economy they had" was only a part of puzzle though. in the 80s, the US (and EU) were pressuring japan to liberalize their economy. and the usual western media dickheads like nyt, atlantic, etc were saying the same thing they say about china now. how they're protectionist, steal ip, use unfair trade practises, debt traps, dominating their waters, etc

watching how china handles the same playbook is pretty interesting. people more knowledgeable than me on number probably have a better explanation, but it seems as though focusing on manufacturing for the world gives them some resistance to the same pressures japan buckled to.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ice Phisherman posted:

If we were rational as a species, we could destroy covid in 40 days with lockdowns. However if we were rational, we wouldn't have war or famine or destroy our environment or have threatened the world multiple times with nuclear annihilation.

We're not rational.

i love reading your posts, but i think you over estimate the ability of covid to pierce the veil of bullshit that keeps our society running.

our society will absolutely ruin a generation, physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially to keep the status quo. and every bit of the state's monopolized violence and propaganda will be used to ensure that happens, if needed.

capital has never shied away from eating its children, for it exists to consume.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

if I die in a pandemic zone
box me up and ship me home
pin my vax card on my chest
tell my ma I done my best

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

If I'm suffering from Havana syndrome and COVID at the same (fml) how much horse paste do I need to eat. Also my bladder is hyperactive
Kamala account spotted

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helith posted:

Friendship ended between Australia and China
Australia wanted an inquiry into Covid origins and also criticised them on human rights stuff such as the Uighurs and we are allies with the US, so we are in the poo poo with China.
They are waging an unofficial trade war on us as well as trolling us on social media. We aren’t pivoting away from the US to China anytime soon.

lol australia's exports to china dropped by almost as much as it increased from usa to china.

we are america's bitch.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vishass posted:

So an 11 year old kid on our street wiped out on his bike and broke his leg tonight. 911 was called 3 times and no one ever showed up. A neighbor w medical experience had to put the kid in a splint so his parents could drive him to the ER.

Anyway, try not to need a hospital

repeatedly calling for emergency help and getting no response is pretty dystopian, but i guess there's just nothing we can do.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

considering how much the democrats love sabre rattling about china, how can kamala hope to stand up to them if she cant even handle a little bit of communist microwave?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

T-Paine posted:

At the COVID, COVID-Havana
The hottest zone north of Atlanta
At the COVID, COVID-Havana
'mectin and coughin' were always the fashion

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol when u realize 2020 was the good times

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

someone said last year that the thing to realize wasn't that 2020 was an aberration, it was that 2020 was The Last Good Year

and it's stuck with me ever since

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

spring 2020 and also late winter/early spring 2021 were the good times
we won't have that again

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

0 rows returned posted:

considering how much the democrats love sabre rattling about china, how can kamala hope to stand up to them if she cant even handle a little bit of communist microwave?

oh man it’s gonna suck to be Chinese american in two months when biden actually starts acknowledging the bodies stacking up and ratchets up the racism to deflect

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone said last year that the thing to realize wasn't that 2020 was an aberration, it was that 2020 was The Last Good Year

and it's stuck with me ever since

Not just that but late 2019 and most of 2020 there was a perverse novelty to it.
Cooking all three meals at home, working from home (in underpants).. etc etc.

But it's completely wore out its welcome and the world is now in a worse place than ever before ...

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

navyjack posted:

I wonder if I signed up for nursing school now, already having a bachelors, could I graduate, specialize in ICU or Respiratory stuff and still have time to get in on the 8k a week bandwagon? Hell,
once it turns into a real bidding war, I bet you’ll be able to hold rich states like CA and NY up for 40K a month by the time all is said and done.

I know someone who entered an accelerated BSN/RN program already having a bachelors, and finished in a year. It was a very busy year including clinical rotations. Pretty big loan but an 8k a week payout would take care of that quick, and I don't think covid is going anywhere for a while.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

all I want is suck and gently caress to return to the status quo risk level

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

your av is disgusting, friend

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jetz0r posted:

i love reading your posts, but i think you over estimate the ability of covid to pierce the veil of bullshit that keeps our society running.

our society will absolutely ruin a generation, physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially to keep the status quo. and every bit of the state's monopolized violence and propaganda will be used to ensure that happens, if needed.

capital has never shied away from eating its children, for it exists to consume.

I understand your point and in most other cases I would agree. But I respectfully disagree.

We can't keep the status quo because there no longer is a status quo to keep. There is an imagined pre-covid status quo but that's all it is. Imagined. In actuality it is a smoking crater that the political elite are furiously trying to convince us that it still exists.

We live in post-normal times and there is no going back. We can only go forward and try to cobble together some sort of new normal out of what's left and whatever we make up from scratch. I thought that was going to happen with climate change first years ago but I think that covid is going to accelerate the final breakdown of the status quo and the acceleration into the unknown that is the new normal, whatever the gently caress that is.

My personal theory is that covid will become functionally impossible to ignore or explain away. That it will either cause society to break down or change labor relations in a way that benefits labor before automation can be ramped up to counteract it. I'm including violent attempts to force Americans to work like labor camps for the unhoused or on the flip side, prison reform that releases more surplus population into the labor pool. Both would be temporary stopgaps against covid because the root cause that is covid wouldn't be resolved. And that's before we account for the added stress of either forced labor or the emptying of the prisons. So either stress from covid causes violent action that disrupts what's left of the status quo or labor relations change from labor becoming more and more scarce. Or both.

We're not getting better at handling covid. In fact, we're getting worse at it. Each round of covid leaves us less resilient to covid. And if covid becomes endemic then eventually too much of the surplus population will be tossed into the wood chipper for capitalism to function without change or we'll have a rebellion or both.

The status quo doesn't exist anymore, friend. I'm sorry. We're headed screaming into an uncertain future.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Google Butt posted:

On average, life is pretty good. Better last year, worse the next year.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

you know things are getting bad when employers are doing the unimaginable - offering high pay for in demand jobs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ice Phisherman posted:

We're not rational. And as a group we're frequently pretty dumb and irrational.

"groups of humans are dumb" is a cop out imo. i feel like there's a deeper analysis. a group of random humans aren't the same everywhere. a group is formed under conditions which affect how it behaves.

under democratic capitalism, we've been trained to think and act individually. we try to maximise our resources and externalise negatives. of course if we attempt to act as a collective, we're going to gently caress up. i imagine nomadic tribes would act way differently, and there's probably examples about how they managed their land compared to settlers.

i know for programming, the way you organize a team is way more important than individual talent or team size.

i was also thinking about how some australian politicians have just given up and the differences in attitudes between the WA and NSW populace. people in WA have largely been pretty good (even wearing masks outdoors when we didn't have to). because of WA's isolation and good results, individuals have almost a tribe-like mentality of keeping up the good job we're doing collectively. our premier has emphasized community, encouraging people to get takeout and has released multiple grants for businesses affected by lockdown. probably wouldn't last if we were locked down for as long as sydney/melbourne tho.

not sure what group behaviour has been like in china or vietnam, but i would guess it's better than in the west.

kinda rambling here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

lmao