Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Any good video game music podcasts?

I'd prefer something that isn't exclusively newer games, that does 8-bit and 16-bit games. If it also includes modern games, that's cool too. I'd like something that analyzes the songs or their composers and history, or the games they're in, but I'd also just like it to recommend me some game soundtracks I might not be aware of.

Have you tried Sound of Play from the Cane and Rinse guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SpannerX posted:

Have you tried Sound of Play from the Cane and Rinse guys?

I have not. The only podcast I listen to that gets into game music is Retronauts. I'm a blank slate. I'll check this one out! Thank you.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Franchescanado posted:

I'd prefer something that isn't exclusively newer games, that does 8-bit and 16-bit games. If it also includes modern games, that's cool too. I'd like something that analyzes the songs or their composers and history, or the games they're in, but I'd also just like it to recommend me some game soundtracks I might not be aware of.
This isn't quite what you're looking for, but it's a two-hour radio show of random video game music + remixes with a bit of background info on the games talked about, artists that have done remixed, et cetera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7LnCiikLg

It's something I used to have on in the background but it's introduced my to plenty of artists recently.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

So... Les Demons de Midi does a playlist monthly more or less, that's about 2 hours long. However it's in French. So you may not get the explanations, however you'll be able to hear all sorts of music?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Super Marcato Bros might be worth a listen, they talk both about specific games and about composers, and they've wrangled a few interviews. They've put out a shitton of episodes, there's probably something in there you'd like.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm looking for podcasts like This American Life, Darknet Diaries, and Underunderstood. No particular subject, just slice of life style podcasts, internet mystery, and investigative.

I've already burned through Reply All's catalogue, and I tried Hidden Brain which was really interesting but leaned more into white noise that made me a little drowsy.

I'm not super interested in in depth modern politics podcasts about the USA, but I'm open to learn about other countries and cultures. I think I've listened to most of the top episodes of the first three podcasts I mentioned too, but there's still hundreds of episodes in that backlog so I'll take specific episodes of those too.

it absolutely sucks because there's only like, 5 episodes due to :siren: GIMLET DRAMA :siren: but Mystery Show by Starlee Kine from several years back was great

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Franchescanado posted:

https://www.legacymusichour.com/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Super Marcato Bros might be worth a listen, they talk both about specific games and about composers, and they've wrangled a few interviews. They've put out a shitton of episodes, there's probably something in there you'd like.

This has been a really nice show to listen to.

I appreciate all of the mix-tape like shows as well. Gonna dig through those as well.

Thanks everyone who gave me a suggestion!

Bullasorsa
Apr 25, 2008
I am looking for a podcast that once got recommended in SA, listened once and haven't been able to find it ever since.

Hosts were as I believe two male comedians and one younger female by the sound of it. Topic was Tiger King and other weird people who live in the redneck-areas and how these hosts have their own stories with similar people. I thought that the name of the podcast was something like "Weird people" or similar, but haven't been able to find it again. I think that they also spoke about proud boys-related neo-nazis in the episode.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There was a Behind the Bastards episode along those lines from April 13, 2020. It was called “A conversation about Tiger King and rural America.”

Bullasorsa
Apr 25, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

There was a Behind the Bastards episode along those lines from April 13, 2020. It was called “A conversation about Tiger King and rural America.”

Thats the one, thank you.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So... Les Demons de Midi does a playlist monthly more or less, that's about 2 hours long. However it's in French. So you may not get the explanations, however you'll be able to hear all sorts of music?

I'll be honest, I only checked this out because of the silly jeu de mots.
But it seems to be a nice podcast, although I'm so old that I don't know most of the games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mrfart posted:

I'll be honest, I only checked this out because of the silly jeu de mots.
But it seems to be a nice podcast, although I'm so old that I don't know most of the games.

I don't recognize a lot of the titles. They both work for Video Game websites I believe and are pretty knowledgable about the industry as a whole. They have nice chemistry and seem like nice and interesting individuals. After every song, they'll give you the title, game, and composer and some info on the composer including their resumé if they can. They range from newer to older titles and we're talking really old.

One of them is particularly into electro beat Japanese pop, and the other seems to play a lot of more moody European PC titles, but aside from that the songs are generally good all over the place. They each get to showcase the music from a recently played game, there's a bit halfway through where they get a composer to suggest a song that inspired them, and they wrap up with a video game cover while plugging the artist's social media, which is pretty cool. There's a couple of annual events like Listener Suggestions but otherwise they alternate between loose "Themes" and miscellaneous Jukeboxes.

I find they do a good job of getting all sorts of composers and titles, and not just sticking to the main ones. It's still on-going too, they're just on the summer break.

I guess the only downside is that it's in French, if you're not a francophone, but again there's only about 30 secs/minute dialogue between tracks, so it's easy to work around. And hey maybe a good excuse to pick up the language!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm looking for podcasts like This American Life, Darknet Diaries, and Underunderstood. No particular subject, just slice of life style podcasts, internet mystery, and investigative.

I've already burned through Reply All's catalogue, and I tried Hidden Brain which was really interesting but leaned more into white noise that made me a little drowsy.

I'm not super interested in in depth modern politics podcasts about the USA, but I'm open to learn about other countries and cultures. I think I've listened to most of the top episodes of the first three podcasts I mentioned too, but there's still hundreds of episodes in that backlog so I'll take specific episodes of those too.

E1

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
What are some good podcasts that deal with Unsolved Mysteries bullshit without diving too deep into the true believer perspective? I have long been fascinated by stuff like unexplained disappearances, UFO sightings, ghost stories and other such mysterious, kooky-spooky poo poo however I tend to approach it more from the perspective of these things being interesting stories that most likely either didn't happen or can be understood through more mundane explanations. There are definitely plenty of podcasts that tackle this sort of stuff, but a lot of them go in from the perspective of really wanting the gonzo supernatural or conspiratorial explanations to be to be true and don't give enough attention or credit to the more rational perspectives.

For context, I'm a regular listener of Last Podcast on the Left (Which I know is a bit of a polarizing show 'round these parts) and generally like their approach to true crime and weird history, but have been increasingly turned off their UFO episodes, despite loving the poo poo out of UFO sightings, because Marcus and Henry very clearly want aliens/psychic mind projections to be real and have become increasingly hostile to more skeptical perspectives on the subject (That and every time Henry brings up Jacques Vallée and his theories as a credible explanation for UFO reports makes me want to scream).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm afraid that I consciously abandoned the whole skeptic movement about a decade ago when Elevatorgate led into Gamergate and the alt-right and so many of the "skeptics" and "new atheists" turned out to be fascist chuds. But one I still like is 'Oh No Ross and Carie', two reasonable intelligent people with a rational mindset who enjoy going to believer events and talking to the credulous about their interests without being obnoxiously sarcastic about it.

There's also 'Our Fake History' which I really enjoy.

I used to really like Skeptoid but quit listening when that guy turned out to be a grifter and went to jail, but the old episodes might fit the bill.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, it's real hard to find anything more skeptical than where LPotL sits that doesn't go full Debunker. It's fine if that's your bag, but I personally don't see where the enjoyment comes from in that.

You might look at The Saucer Life, which is a history professor with a personal interest in UFOs going over the people and events of UFO lore. He's gone on record as thinking that while there is something to the phenomenon, he thinks it is most likely psychological and not extraterrestrial in nature.

Aside from that, Not Alone is a believer and a skeptic going over various High Strangeness things and they both wear their biases on their sleeve. You might find Jason's skepticism enough to balance out Sam's fervent belief.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
'Lore' was another one I remember being pretty decent that kind of had that modern solo podcaster production style you'll immediately recognize if you've listened to, say, 'Cautionary Tales', or 'Revisionist History', but anyway 'Lore' used to generally just talk about some paranormal topic / legend in a matter-of-fact, "some people believe", "this person said" sort of way.

Despite the name, "Our Fake History" is a lot like that too -- it's usually reporting something as a myth, but still more interested in relating the myth than spending a lot of time debunking it. For example, a recent episode was a rerun of the legend of 'Did Robert Johnson really sell his soul to the devil to be a great guitar player?' but spends almost no time trying to answer that question, because it's silly, but most of the runtime recounting the legend, how it got started, the interesting things discovered by the people trying to research Robert Johnson, what is actually known about his life, and what the people who actually knew him believed.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 10, 2021

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stuff they don’t want you to know is a fairly shallow and non-controversial spooky poo poo podcast that hits all topics, but never goes hugely deep into them. They might fill some time in your schedule, though? Also, there have been some good stuff on Strange Arrivals, a podcast series that dove into the Betty and Barney hill abduction, then the rendleshem forest close encounter, and did a fairly good job of not going all crystal-waving true believer.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Listening to "bad cops".
It's good, if you need some 'the wire-esque' true crime.
It's a bit mind boggling what these fuckers got away with for a very long time.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The interview with George Bush (James Adomian) for the 9/11 special on Abe Lincoln's Top Hat is pretty funny, can recommend.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mrfart posted:

Listening to "bad cops".
It's good, if you need some 'the wire-esque' true crime.
It's a bit mind boggling what these fuckers got away with for a very long time.

It’s good and I like the host’s lisp

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rick posted:

I find most conspiracy/weird poo poo/cryptozoology podcasts to be either dry, too New York Comedian, or like 2006 era GBS, but Mystery Team Inc, is different. A couple of funny women talk about these things, and unsolved crimes, and have the right balance of incredulity and an open mind.

This was a perfect recc for me and I want to thank you for it. It's light, but still compelling and bizarre enough to be fun. In particular, the Diazien Hossencofft reptilian leukemia blood stealing custody battle barbie fan club cannabalism murder of Girly Chew by a ninja sword wielding cia alien queen was PARTICULARLY batshit insane. HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress. I know I shouldn't laugh at a young person dying but there's just not a single thing about this story that you can take seriously, and the hosts are wonderfully charming.
https://soundcloud.com/mysteryteaminc/episode-56-the-murder-of-girly-chew-come-on-in-the-abyss-is-fine

I was also very easily convinced that "meat-grinder feminism" should definitely be a thing.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 25, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Very much enjoying Dimas Chicken Wraps Presents: Only Murders in the Building.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Can’t find this podcast.

But It’s the first I’m hearing of this only murders show, and it looks interesting.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
not really a podcast, but can anyone recommend a youtube show about new indie movies? maybe weekly, monthly, streaming and in-theaters, also european stuff.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

busalover posted:

not really a podcast, but can anyone recommend a youtube show about new indie movies? maybe weekly, monthly, streaming and in-theaters, also european stuff.

I can't help but there is a PYF thread that might be able to help.

e: fixed tag

Inceltown fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 3, 2021

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the iphone podcast app is starting to piss me off, it seems way too difficult to do the simple task of playing episodes oldest to newest without skipping forward 100 episodes. does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this or suggestions for an alternative app?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

cuntman.net posted:

the iphone podcast app is starting to piss me off, it seems way too difficult to do the simple task of playing episodes oldest to newest without skipping forward 100 episodes. does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this or suggestions for an alternative app?

I switched from the default iOS podcast app to Overcast and haven’t looked back.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Honestly amazed that anyone stuck with the default app this long.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Seconding Overcast, it can handle a large backlog fine.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thanks for the recommendation

Imagined posted:

Honestly amazed that anyone stuck with the default app this long.
im the kind of person who spends a lot of time getting mad at things before actually bothering to do anything about it

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think the only thing that I miss about the ios podcast app is that all the podcasts seems to ask "Rate and Review us" and that's not really possible on overcast.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

TV Zombie posted:

I think the only thing that I miss about the ios podcast app is that all the podcasts seems to ask "Rate and Review us" and that's not really possible on overcast.

none of the podcasts I regularly listen to ask the audience to rate and review them. Listen to less needy podcasts.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
You can also rate & review through the iOS app but use Overcast (or whatever else) for your regular listening.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I thought that the "rate and review us" part was to help the podcast gain more sponsors and thus more money. That's the only reason why I miss the ios podcast app.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
AFAIK the itunes charts are still a big source of exposure for podcasts and your rank on there is based on some algorithm that takes into account not just your average rating and number of ratings, but also how many are recent.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Imagined posted:

AFAIK the itunes charts are still a big source of exposure for podcasts and your rank on there is based on some algorithm that takes into account not just your average rating and number of ratings, but also how many are recent.
Darknet Diaries did a podcast exactly how this could be exploited for $10 to get to the top of the iTunes charts and break the algorithm. It's still happening but corporations are behind it now instead of people from Fiverr

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Also use overcast.
Though, I never really understood how to make it play episodes chronologically without making a playlist. If you start playing the first episode of a podcast, it will afterwards always play the most recent episode. Even if you download the second, third etc ep.
I recently used the stitcher app, only to listen to blowback and I noticed it did play the episodes chronologically by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mrfart posted:

Also use overcast.
Though, I never really understood how to make it play episodes chronologically without making a playlist. If you start playing the first episode of a podcast, it will afterwards always play the most recent episode. Even if you download the second, third etc ep.
I recently used the stitcher app, only to listen to blowback and I noticed it did play the episodes chronologically by default.

I also use Overcast. I believe you can just go to settings for a show and tell it to sort episodes from oldest to newest.