Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, both consoles have the ability and have since last gen, why keep artificially restricting choice? Is it big controller lobbying against it???

part of the appeal of a console is it doesn't have a keyboard / mouse :P

But I agree, normalizing it would be nice for us turbo nerds, but that will only happen if MS stops investing 90% of their R&D into controller designs and releases their own couch-ready kb/m setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

My worst Forza opinion is that FH shouldn't have S class sports cars at all and that it should just be offroady vehicles and modded daily drivers. Also FM shouldn't have the carried-over lifted trucks and dune buggies that are totally useless and not fun for circuit racing.

Well there were a bunch of rumors about the new Forza Motorsport and obviously take this as it is because the rumor got the launch date wrong but it doesn't seem that unrealistic:

-Turn 10 has ditched their ForzaTech engine to make the new game in Unreal Engine 5 (this would explain the huge delay since they're basically starting from scratch rather than iterating as they did with prior releases).
-They're going even crazier with physics than before and doing a lot of work on temperatures and having rubber on the track affecting the racing line etc.
-The reveal trailer showed Laguna Seca gameplay and apparently playtests have featured Maple Valley.
-Dynamic weather and time of day again for some tracks, so it's once again not universal.
-Rally racing is coming to Forza Motorsport (they've apparently been putting a lot of work into various surface types) so those vehicles you mentioned will now have more purpose in FM.
-Huge focus on improving online experience to clean it up (I'm kinda torn on this because the chaos of FM online was part of the charm and GT Sport's penalty system makes for the dullest online racing ever, but other issues detract from the enjoyment as well so it's not just that).
-Big focus on career mode as well, apparently with cutscenes and a story.

This could all be wrong however because the rumor had a launch date attached that has come and gone. The addition of rally to Forza Motorsport seems long overdue however since it is the Xbox GT equivalent and although GT has botched it for a while now, it was really good at one point and I can see the new FM game finally having a selection of rally tracks for people to race on. I doubt it will be huge or a very big feature but if they just did like earlier GT games and said "Here's some rally tracks for if you wanna mix things up" I think that would be great, especially if they employ the toybox philosophy and just let people experiment and take whatever. Don't be super serious about it, give us an off road track in Hawaii or something and if people want to race big rigs or fit off-road tires to a Caterham and raise up the suspension to end up barrel rolling on every corner - just let them. I'm worried they'll go far too serious with the FM reboot but I hope that they don't.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

gently caress yeah Psychonauts 2 is out

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Thom12255 posted:

I wish it was just a normal thing that PC games could get released on consoles with the expectations that you're meant to use a M+KB with them. I wouldn't need a gaming PC at all if that was a thing that could happen.

Semi-related: "Office365 should work on Xbox" feels like a very stupid thing to say, because it is. However, I think they should do that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Excel definitely needs cheevos.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

Excel definitely needs cheevos.

Make a good looking chart - 0% of players have this

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Semi-related: "Office365 should work on Xbox" feels like a very stupid thing to say, because it is. However, I think they should do that.

the windows remote desktop app on xbox would actually be pretty handy.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

ZeeBoi posted:

gently caress yeah Psychonauts 2 is out

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far! :D

Be sure to put on 120fps in the Display settings if you have a 120hz panel.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Watch Dogs Legion added multiplayer today? There’s invasions, some open world thing, and a zombie horde mode (lol).

I messed around in the open world thing and it looks like it has the potential to be fun with friends, but maybe it’s absolutely terrible. Who knows, I don’t feel motivated to find out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Laserface posted:

the windows remote desktop app on xbox would actually be pretty handy.

I'd like there to be a Boomer-proof computer that fits in a desktop setup better than an iPad, mainly for reasons of My Dad. Everything just updates while it's "off" but he doesn't know it's still on, Norton isn't a thing, but I don't have to troubleshoot a Mac over the phone...put Office365 on Xbox, Microsoft. Sell my dad a Series S.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 25, 2021

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Watch Dogs Legion added multiplayer today? There’s invasions, some open world thing, and a zombie horde mode (lol).

I messed around in the open world thing and it looks like it has the potential to be fun with friends, but maybe it’s absolutely terrible. Who knows, I don’t feel motivated to find out.

They also added an Assassin’s Creed crossover thing that is closer to the old AC games than any of the newest ones lol. Ubisoft already made sure to point out that it’s non canon.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Imagine, Game Pass Productive
Game Pass plus O365

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn’t play the first one, but Psychonauts 2 is definitely my jam

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Skeezy posted:

They also added an Assassin’s Creed crossover thing that is closer to the old AC games than any of the newest ones lol. Ubisoft already made sure to point out that it’s non canon.

The lore of each game franchise is just too important to play around with.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Psychonauts 2 so far is worth a download. As usual Gamepass stays winning.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I'd like there to be a Boomer-proof computer that fits in a desktop setup better than an iPad, mainly for reasons of My Dad. Everything just updates while it's "off" but he doesn't know it's still on, Norton isn't a thing, but I don't have to troubleshoot a Mac over the phone...put Office365 on Xbox, Microsoft. Sell my dad a Series S.

this is kind of the idea of OEM computers/laptops but in practice fails miserably.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Very glad I got to check out the Psychonauts VR game a few days ago before playing this, as I never played the first one. There wasn't much to it, but it was really cool to see this game start right where that left off. Game feels really good so far!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

www.crusaderkings.com posted:

The Xbox Series X will be able to do quick swaps between YouTube and Crusader Kings III, so new players can have easy access to online resources and tutorials. The PlayStation 5 version will utilize the Haptic Feedback of the DualSense controller and will react to events that unfold in game, allowing players to "experience the game’s stress mechanics themselves."

:captainpop:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Forza Horizon games have the best intros, this owns :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSVQzbdF5xA

Fly Ricky posted:

Six months ago I was in a funk when I realized I didn’t have the Xbox One version of FH2. Looked up copies to buy and was shocked to see they go for ~$100.

Later in the week I was flipping through my collection and realized I did in fact own it. Threw it in and found I had most of the achievements. Memory problems.

What coastal race is that? I’d like to go back and have a go.

The intro race along the coast at the start of the game. I don't think it's replayable? They have other races along that route (one shortly after in the other direction in the rain, and another where you're in a Ferrari racing a bunch of jets) but the intro one was awesome and a fantastic way to start the game. It seems such a missed opportunity that it wasn't preserved as a track in the main Forza Motorsport games after FH2 was delisted :( I found a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIM0JkkGc8&t=104s

When I got an Xbox One this was one of the first things I played :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Halo Infinite Campaign launching December 8th apparently

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

My worst Forza opinion is that FH shouldn't have S class sports cars at all and that it should just be offroady vehicles and modded daily drivers. Also FM shouldn't have the carried-over lifted trucks and dune buggies that are totally useless and not fun for circuit racing.

I totally agree and have an even worse opinion: the driving in Forza would be a lot more fun if it had the physics of GTA IV.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I like racing sims and doing hundreds of the same lap over and over again aiming for perfection so please don't mess with Forza thanks. You can do whatever you like with Horizon.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

psyman posted:

I totally agree and have an even worse opinion: the driving in Forza would be a lot more fun if it had the physics of GTA IV.

That's because GTA IV had the superior driving physics compared to all the other GTA's.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

psyman posted:

That's fine for Horizon but big hell no to FM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Turn 10 has ditched their ForzaTech engine to make the new game in Unreal Engine 5 (this would explain the huge delay since they're basically starting from scratch rather than iterating as they did with prior releases).
Highly unlikely, considering they were talking about their overhaul of ForzaTech as recently as last July (probably more recently) and it's being shared by Playground for both Forza Horizon and Fable.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SUNKOS posted:

Forza Horizon games have the best intros, this owns :3:

The free demos are worth keeping just for replaying the intros, especially since they also get delisted after a while.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can't wait for the forza easter eggs in fable. steampunk racing sidequest, powered by farts

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ColdPie posted:

I like racing sims and doing hundreds of the same lap over and over again aiming for perfection so please don't mess with Forza thanks. You can do whatever you like with Horizon.

No please and thank you; imo one of the best things about Horizon is that it still has Forza under the hood.

Playing all the games in the last week, and the first game is kind of interesting. It has some edge the sequels rounded off, and I think it's a better series for it. For one thing, the game's story mode is a little more involved than the latter games. You have specific opponents for each festival tier, and you get bonus points for beating them in races. They also poo poo talk you before every race, which is kind of funny but also annoying, because they keep taunting you even if you've smoked them in every event and are about to take their car. One of those drivers is a woman, and she explicitly tells the main player character ( a man, you don't get the option to play as other genders until FH3) that she gets more money if she takes pictures with her racing suit partially unzipped. And it's not dwelt on or anything, it's a throwaway line and you beat her and take her car like everyone else.

By the time you get to FH4, pretty much anything negative has been stripped out of the game (stuff like the above, plus stuff like "sketchy pass") and the game is essentially digital anti-depressant. Aside from the lackluster setting of 4, every game in the series is an improvement and November 9 can't get here fast enough.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm still holding out hope that one day Age of Empires will be reworked for consoles. The fact that Crusader Kings will come out has given me a bit of hope!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ColdPie posted:

I'd rather do hundreds of laps at Bernie's than Virginia :barf:

The Kins posted:

Highly unlikely, considering they were talking about their overhaul of ForzaTech as recently as last July (probably more recently) and it's being shared by Playground for both Forza Horizon and Fable.

Did Turn 10 talk about it or was it Playground Games? I know PG are still using it and will do so for Fable, but as far as I know Turn 10 has been quiet since the last update for FM7 aside from the reveal trailer for the next Forza Motorsport game which had no discussion about the game, just some footage. The UE5 thing could be complete nonsense but I cannot make sense of the huge delay between FM7 and the next game unless they are changing engines, since PG has stuck with ForzaTech and already have a new Horizon game out (which I think takes considerably more work than Motorsport's iterative design) soon since they're so familiar with the tools and have upgraded the engine a fair bit themselves.

The collaboration has been quite fruitful though, PG added weather and night to the engine which then made it into the FM franchise and they've done a lot of work on surfaces and many other upgrades that have essentially paved the way for Turn 10. Even FM7 was making use of some advancements that PG introduced in FH3, I think? Playground have put so much work into upgrading ForzaTech it's insane.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Halo Infinite Campaign launching December 8th apparently

Is multiplayer launching at the same time? I think that's what everyone's waiting for.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is infinite a direct continuation of 5? If so, maybe I’ll play through 4 and 5. poo poo, I don’t think I’ve ever finished 3 and it’s spin-off sequel games (I don’t even know how reach and that other one tie in).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is infinite a direct continuation of 5? If so, maybe I’ll play through 4 and 5. poo poo, I don’t think I’ve ever finished 3 and it’s spin-off sequel games (I don’t even know how reach and that other one tie in).

It does seem to continue yes but everyone thinks that it's going to mostly drop those plot threads as fast as possible and restart with something new.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It is a sequel but from everything they've said it's going to be a pretty soft jumping on point. They'll be elements from previous games and references but seems like they want it to be quite easy and clean to pick up from scratch.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

So if I’m gonna play some Halo campaigns, I’m assuming finishing 3 and reach is the way to go. My kid and I tried to play 5 coop when we got our X and put it away pissed off at the fact we were always out of ammo. Lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Did Turn 10 talk about it or was it Playground Games?
Turn 10.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SUNKOS posted:

The intro race along the coast at the start of the game. I don't think it's replayable?

When I got an Xbox One this was one of the first things I played :3:

Instantly remembered as soon as I read this. That was truly epic. Watching that video...

It was the first thing I played on the One according to my Gamerscore. I remember they released that Fast & The Furious demo/expansion for free, and claiming it before I even owned the One. Hell, the whole series is basically what's kept me in the Xbox ecosystem despite living in a country where the brand is virtually non-existent. (But they've been nailing stuff outta the park with GamePass so there are definitely many more reasons to stick with it at this point)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

I'd rather do hundreds of laps at Bernie's than Virginia :barf:

I did superbike school on the north course at VIR and it's super fun driving it in the game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

finally decided 'gently caress it' and got a series s. i'm gonna be playing on a 1080p tv anyway so i figured it did not make enough of a difference to justify putting up with endless frustrating unsuccessful attempts to get a series x, plus horizon 5 will have a 60fps mode on both and that's really the only game i care about

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Elite Seires 2 lmfao. welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Happy Hedonist posted:

So if I’m gonna play some Halo campaigns, I’m assuming finishing 3 and reach is the way to go. My kid and I tried to play 5 coop when we got our X and put it away pissed off at the fact we were always out of ammo. Lol

Halo 3 and Reach should be enough. The Halo 4 + 5 campaigns are pretty boring, I haven't completed them but I completed the Halo 3 one about 3 times. Great fun in coop.