Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

I know Business Gorillas is advertising his as well, but the company I work for has ridiculous amounts of openings...and 60-70% of our hires are completely remote forever now. If you don't like remote work, we do have offices on both coasts and in KS/OK

We have openings Software Engineers and other Computer touching sciency jobs, BD, Energy And Commodity Trading/Management, Engineering, Customer Service, Procurement, HSEQ, Construction and operations Site/Support employees and managers, and all the support functions (Legal, Communications, HR, Accounting, Innovation, Admins.)

I do want to point out that we don't have very many entry level roles or roles without a degree requirement unless you like to climb Wind Mills in midwestern states.

So - if you want to work for a large green energy company trying to save the world from oil and gas, with awesome benefits and corporate overlords in another country - reach out to me and I'll see what I can do.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao can you imagine if even one doctor was fired for saying ventilators kill people

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Regarding the ivermectin this is just Mike Pence's plan working itself out. By making the people who vote for him a little more horse-like he might be able to bear skin to skin contact with them for just a little longer, making all those handshakes he has to do slightly less intolerable.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Good. That's what the VP is for.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it’s a good time to be a computer toucher tbh

friends have either switched to perma remote work or just cashed out and retired early with the pop in tech stocks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The ventilator kills you is gunna be the next big thing

for what it's worth, this is marginally less harmful than ivermectin because "I don't want to go on the ventilator" is probably going to cause less harm to people overall than "I am proactively going to take ivermectin"

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Moderna vaccine is more efficacious than the Pfizer vaccine and if someone has the choice they should get the Moderna vaccine. Does that sound accurate to people itt?

I would say yes. The worst that could go wrong is that it doesn't matter

Well, the really worst thing that could go wrong is that telling someone this means they wait for Moderna and get infected in the time between then and now, but whether or not telling someone to get Moderna instead will cause a delay in their vaccinations by even just one day is something that you should know if you're going to be giving this advice.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

text editor posted:

8k/week 30k bonuses are 100% hazard pay because the clientele will all be the type of people who try to intentionally pull your mask off and spit in your mouth or shoot you if you don't give their dad horse paste

I'd do it for a month. yall want the horse paste? sure. yall want to inject this soon-to-be corpse with liquid poo poo? whatever. he's hosed anyhow, yall do whatever you want, I'll be out in my car doing literally nothing and when I get a call saying "hey where are you" I'll tell them I'm with patient and make it sound super hectic. with a skeleton crew, nobody will check. it's cool.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Doctors don't get fired. They can literally treat any staff below them like inhuman garbage and it doesn't matter because there's not enough doctors and they're all super specialized and hella expensive so you don't fire them unless they like willfully murder people.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Looks like Wal-Mart was the right choice for once!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

they're sorta correct. You could liken it to aggressive chemo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Moderna vaccine is more efficacious than the Pfizer vaccine and if someone has the choice they should get the Moderna vaccine. Does that sound accurate to people itt?

Always Spikevax.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

what’s the science behind UKs low death count from their delta surge(s)? is there something about the AZ that makes it more durable to delta - or just they have more people vaxxed?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hypoxia just means “not enough oxygen”. that’s too hard though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

raisin kane posted:

my love for you is like horse paste, dewormer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

killed by too much ventilation

rip

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

i am harry posted:

i dont think the hospital is going to let dennis take the horse paste

You'd be surprised at the abject cowardice of some doctors.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Zurtilik posted:

Doctors don't get fired. They can literally treat any staff below them like inhuman garbage and it doesn't matter because there's not enough doctors and they're all super specialized and hella expensive so you don't fire them unless they like willfully murder people.

that's true for orthopods & CT surgeons, probably a few others I can't think of but not IM/EM/anesth

mid-level providers, NP/PA/CRNA, are growing in numbers by the day

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

You'd be surprised at the abject cowardice of some doctors.

but enough about madjackal

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Most of my lovely immune from consequences doctor experience comes from people working in High-Risk Pregnancy OB offices, so they probably are an exception.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Probably but who knows

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Crazyweasel posted:

what’s the science behind UKs low death count from their delta surge(s)? is there something about the AZ that makes it more durable to delta - or just they have more people vaxxed?

considering how many places have been actively caught fudging the death counts (dying WITH covid, not OF covid), i don't think you can take any official statistic seriously

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Relevant Tangent posted:

not exactly. both spikevax and comirnaty show a reduction in efficacy over time in particularly vulnerable populations. a recently published article with cdc backing studied spikevax in a nursing home and had similar drops to comirnaty.

if you are not immunocompromised, under 60 years old, and do not have any particular comorbidities, both mrna vaccines maintain efficacy in the high 90s for serious illness and death and in the 80s for preventing any illness.

e: this is why the cdc first said "everyone get boosters" then rolled that back and said they're evaluating again. when you breakdown the breakthrough cases by age/preexisting conditions, the vaccines are still super effective.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

well the delta data seems to indicate it provides better punch through protection from infection.

Both vaccines perform similar in terms of prevent severe hospitalization and death.

Plus it's a better value since you are getting a big beautiful 100uG dose instead of 30uG

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Posting here because I am just beyond heartbroken and so incredibly angry and don't really have anyone I can share this with.

I'm an LPN and about 50% of my job is doing phone triage. I primarily work in pediatrics so most of my calls are fairly mild (breastfeeding and formula questions, medication refills, reiterating home care instructions, scheduling urgent appts, etc.). Even though I haven't suffered anywhere near the amount that many of you have, this last year has certainly taken its toll.

A patient's mother called to schedule a symptom based appt. No big deal right? Wrong. After some prying I find out that this loving idiot has been giving her toddler ivermectin because she started to have mild cold symptoms and they were worried it may be covid (mind you, nobody in the family is vaccinated and nobody has been tested). She's absolutely showing signs of toxicity. I immediately told the mom she needs to call 911 and this dumbass has the audacity to tell me she doesn't need to go to the ER she just needs to see a doctor in the clinic. It took everything in me to not scream at her. I kept her on the line while I dialed 911 for her and provided them with her address. A police officer spoke with me and my attending and reassured us that parents cannot decline medical care because it's suspected abuse and she will be seen in the ER no matter what. CPS report is in the works and I'm sure one will be done by hospital staff as well.

I just can't loving believe some people. Our antivax or vaccine hesitant parents can annoy me quite a bit, but literally poisoning your child with medication made for farm animals is a whole different ball game. And I'm pregnant, so of course I'm extra upset and can't help but cry every time I think about it. I hope they never get their child back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/pauwis/some_people_dont_deserve_to_be_parents/

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Crazyweasel posted:

either they fudge the numbers or people get hospitalised sooner leading to more recoveries? you know, as opposed to staying home cause you are afraid of the medical bills until it's far too late

so far their deaths don't seem too far out of line from other european countries

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 25, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

raisin kane posted:

Lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

It induces a stronger response than Pfizer but calling that "more efficacious" is a stretch, especially compared to no vaccine.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crazyweasel posted:

No horse paste.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crazyweasel posted:

part of it is "deaths are a lagging indicator" because their increase in deaths is only just beginning, as offset from their cases starting to rise three weeks ago

but also yes the other part of it is that 77% of their over-16s are fully-vaccinated

this is probably going to turn ugly once schools reopen in September

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
As a non-science understander, how are they even meaningfully different? Like don't mRNA vaccines just use mRNA to tell your body to make some antibodies? Wouldn't Pfizer and Moderna be functionally identical then?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

raisin kane posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As a non-science understander, how are they even meaningfully different? Like don't mRNA vaccines just use mRNA to tell your body to make some antibodies? Wouldn't Pfizer and Moderna be functionally identical then?

it's not really well understood yet why there would be a difference, only that there's a measurable one under certain conditions

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Well it's still under research since Delta has only been in the mRNA "Vaccine" environment for little over 2 months now.

But speculation over the difference in infection probability is mainly focused how Moderna went with a much bigger dose than Pfizer plus has a longer time interval between doses (seems to improve antibody count)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Nobody has conclusively proved it yet, but it's likely because a dose of Moderna has a higher concentration of mRNA than Pfizer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also Johnson + Johnson had similar increase in antibody count going with a follow-up booster shot of the same type, 6 to 8 months later

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/health/johnson-vaccine-booster-data/index.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Moderna was a larger shot for some reason. Like, 3 times the size of the Pfizer shot. This is why Moderna had worse side effects from the 2nd shot.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

etalian posted:

Also Johnson + Johnson had similar increase in antibody count going with a follow-up booster shot of the same type, 6 to 8 months later

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/health/johnson-vaccine-booster-data/index.html

I'm so pissed I can't go get a booster without lying right now

j&j :argh:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
[in extreme Pixies voice] deworrrmerrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/delmoi/status/1430511291840479233

lmao glenn

I get it. Keeping kids at home again for another year is going to suck, but you're way out of your element here.