Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah but they were still just 2 different kinds of human ships

though to be fair 99% of human Trek ships are just moving the nacelles around and smudging the saucer into various ovoid shapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know this doesn't really affect the larger point, but I'm pretty sure there were 3

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

S2E8+9

They really need to diversify the ship designs. there's like 1-2 ship models for each race.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that Union ships are apparently all just The Orville, but different sizes. Star Trek did better with having multiple ship classes that all share a common design ethos.

Shakes fist at the Picard copy-paste fleet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

though to be fair 99% of human Trek ships are just moving the nacelles around and smudging the saucer into various ovoid shapes

Well lets wait to see the ships that all the other species that are big in the union have!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm kind of hoping the filming/covid delays gave the production team time to produce much more varied ship design/prop stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Taear posted:

Well lets wait to see the ships that all the other species that are big in the union have!

ok but that's not really the point being argued, which is that the human ships on this show are extremely uniform compared to even Trek, which doesn't exactly go hog-wild on unique human ship designs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there might be good in universe reasons for optimization

But obviously that's just a writing conceit

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ok but that's not really the point being argued, which is that the human ships on this show are extremely uniform compared to even Trek, which doesn't exactly go hog-wild on unique human ship designs

But what you're saying doesn't make sense.
In Star Trek there are no "human ships" outside of Enterprise - there are just Federation ships.
So far in Orville there's human ships and then ships for each species, which is where the Union would get their different types.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are more non humans obvious on the Orville than any given Enterprise

The saucer and nacelles look in Trek is definely an earth legacy design even if they aren't explicitly human ships (although there are canonically all Vulcan crews in starfleet ships)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s because it’s easier for someone watching to go ‘oh those are ____’ rather than having to have some sensor officer tell the audience every time you big nerds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s because it’s easier for someone watching to go ‘oh those are ____’ rather than having to have some sensor officer tell the audience every time you big nerds.

But that's not the only two options? New Trek's kind of hosed it up, but before that you knew a Federation ship was a Federation ship the second you saw it, nobody had to explain anything. If Orville ships all had the same three ring engine thing on the back it'd be obvious they're human ships even if the rest of the ship were different.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Orville has done a really good job of linking colors to the "big" races. Earth is blue, Krill are Green, Mochlans are Yellow, and Kaylon are red.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When this guy showed up early TNG they didn't have to explain it was Federation, it was obvious. That's all we're saying. You can have common design features that tell the audience what they're looking at without having to state it in dialogue, or have all the ships be identical.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some world building about why their ships look like they do could be cool

I don't think they have a very big fleet though and maybe just have like 3 shipyards pumping them out.

Why should they be different, other than visual interest? The fleet at the end already looked a thousand times better than the USS Ctrl-V in Picard

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

When this guy showed up early TNG they didn't have to explain it was Federation, it was obvious. That's all we're saying. You can have common design features that tell the audience what they're looking at without having to state it in dialogue, or have all the ships be identical.

Yea but that is not what Orville is doing
Earth ships look a certain way, Moclan ones do, etc

I guess we'll see if we learn more about the other races on the council. Possibly not if this is the last series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Yea but that is not what Orville is doing
Earth ships look a certain way, Moclan ones do, etc

I guess we'll see if we learn more about the other races on the council. Possibly not if this is the last series.

I don't think the Orville is an "earth ship" though is it? It's a union ship, but those are explicitly Moclan ones

Just like the red swoopy ships are Vulcan in Trek. They're literally aping that exact convention, are they not?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Some world building about why their ships look like they do could be cool

I don't think they have a very big fleet though and maybe just have like 3 shipyards pumping them out.

Why should they be different, other than visual interest? The fleet at the end already looked a thousand times better than the USS Ctrl-V in Picard

Wasn't the whole justification in the pilot for Mercer getting his own command, that they are rapidly expanding and have like 3,000 ships and are lowering the standards a bit? Or is that a false memory on my part, I haven't seen it since it aired.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Goblin Craft posted:

Wasn't the whole justification in the pilot for Mercer getting his own command, that they are rapidly expanding and have like 3,000 ships and are lowering the standards a bit? Or is that a false memory on my part, I haven't seen it since it aired.

Sort of. The admiral told Mercer "You're nobody's first choice, but we need warm bodies in the captain's chairs." But later, we find that Kelly's father pulled some strings because he felt guilty about her cheating on him. So, kinda.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well the main point was the number of ships.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Was really hoping the shuttles would have names by now. Other than Shuttle 1 and Shuttle 2.

Statler and Waldorf to go with Ed's Kermit totem in his office.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nobody's sure why or how, but they've been named Ned & Stacey

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its super weird to me that back in the day of physical models that were a huge pain to build and film we had more TV spaceship diversity than in the days of CGI. Even god drat star wars recycled their R1 star destroyer 3d model and scaled it up a bit for the big super fleet.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Iron Crowned posted:

The Orville has done a really good job of linking colors to the "big" races. Earth is blue, Krill are Green, Mochlans are Yellow, and Kaylon are red.

Big Races so far

i hope

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

Its super weird to me that back in the day of physical models that were a huge pain to build and film we had more TV spaceship diversity than in the days of CGI. Even god drat star wars recycled their R1 star destroyer 3d model and scaled it up a bit for the big super fleet.

I remember reading somewhere that The Defiant was the first new ship design for Starfleet in Star Trek, and the fact is, it's iconic look with the nacelles underneath the saucer, was actually a mistake. When the design for the Miranda Class was presented, it was signed upside down, the nacelles were originally intended to be on top.

It's not like they were building new ships for TNG all the time either. They had the giant Hero version of the Enterprise, and later a smaller one, but they frequently kit-bashed new ships together using off the shelf model kits, like the ones I know a lot of us nerds in this thread sloppily put together in our youth. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did with the Stargazer a few posts up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A kitbashed model will oftentimes be more visually interesting than 100 copy and paste jobs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

But how hard would it be to make model kits in a 3D render program and combine them into different ships make a dozen variants and copy paste them giving just a hint of variety.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The aft rings on the blue Union vessels are integrated with the function of the quantum drives, number and size of rings are related to the "power" of the drive effectively. Larger vessels require more and bigger rings.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

pixaal posted:

But how hard would it be to make model kits in a 3D render program and combine them into different ships make a dozen variants and copy paste them giving just a hint of variety.

There are model packs of exactly this you can buy, renders of old model kit parts, and in fact if i remember right the star destroyers for rogue one were created using virtual kitbash parts that the original models were made from.

This isn't like a traditional 3d modeling thing that you'd actually use for production, but its an interesting little application of those kinds of assets for virtual kitbashing, as a little example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJdYxRwxoo

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 25, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What we loose in variety of assets, we gain in complexity and uniqueness of shots. At the end of the day there's only so much time and money that can be spent on VFX and that's clearly where the balance is now.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

What we loose in variety of assets, we gain in complexity and uniqueness of shots. At the end of the day there's only so much time and money that can be spent on VFX and that's clearly where the balance is now.

Star Trek in 2020:

Star Trek in 1997:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Christ, that Picard shot just looks SO BAD right next to the DS9 one. It's just incredible how poor that looks in every manner.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Gwaihir posted:

Christ, that Picard shot just looks SO BAD right next to the DS9 one. It's just incredible how poor that looks in every manner.

Wild that Lower Decks and the Orville are clearly the best Star Trek we've had on TV since DS9

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doggles posted:

Star Trek in 2020:

Most stuff about Picard was bad, I was specifically talking about The Orville.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every now and then I try to access the Myself that was excited and looking forward to Picard

But there's nothing there anymore, there's scar tissue there and a layer of dust with an unusually high level of silicates has settled on the surrounding area.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

S2E12

It's remarkable how Klyden continues to have absolutely no character development. I guess the writers are doing a good job of keeping him consistent at least. That said, this was a very good episode. Very Star Trek.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Every now and then I try to access the Myself that was excited and looking forward to Picard

But there's nothing there anymore, there's scar tissue there and a layer of dust with an unusually high level of silicates has settled on the surrounding area.

Everything I hear about Picard makes me glad I never watched it.

My dad continues to attempt to convince me to watch Discovery, but has never said a word about Picard. This man loved Battlefield Earth.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nitrousoxide posted:

S2E12

It's remarkable how Klyden continues to have absolutely no character development. I guess the writers are doing a good job of keeping him consistent at least. That said, this was a very good episode. Very Star Trek.

He's a hyper-conservative dickhole, as a rule their whole shtick is refusing to develop their character at any cost

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What sucks is they only had to make a few tweaks to the story to make it work, but they just completely fumbled the ball.

Imagine instead of Picard trying to stop an ancient order of Romulans from genociding AI so they don't call space robot Cthulhu it was instead a story about Picard uncovering that Romulans were victimizing Borg survivors to scavenge tech to survive as a nomadic race without a home world and the Federation was complicit in the acts because it just wanted the Borg problem gone and out of guilt for not being able to help more in the evacuation.

Sure, it would have been harder to shoehorn Data into that story, but it would have setup a lot more nuanced morality play that has links all the way back to "I, Borg".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Jeri Ryan was easily the best part of Picard and I think they realized it.

But yeah, the "AIs will summon the apocalypse if threatened so it's in our best interest to threaten the gently caress out of them." Plot is so hideously overdone and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most grating thing about Discovery is that it's obviously written by and for dorky liberal overachievers who think everything can be solved by being the most adorkable workaholic I loving LOVE SCIENCE!!! nerd in the universe. Multiple episodes revolve around characters not telling another character something vitally important, because their boss might force them to take a day off of work. I am not exaggerating in the slightest.

Orville only rarely dips into that ideology, like in the episode where LaMarr is destined become chief engineer in spite of himself, because he scored the highest on a standardized test.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 25, 2021