Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

skipdogg posted:

How much did you pay for that switch? It's a neat box, but I can't really handle the price point for home use.
Old Brocade 10G and 40G gear is super cheap on the used market.

I'm currently waffling on an ICX6610 that'll give me 24 ports of gigabit PoE, 8x10G, and 2x 40G for under $200 because I'm not sure it's worth the power draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

skipdogg posted:

How much did you pay for that switch? It's a neat box, but I can't really handle the price point for home use.

when I got it? $250. they seem to have settled at $200 now

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

text editor posted:

I bought a Brocade 7150-c12p after readings that servethehome thread and I'm smitten. the low port count sucks, but 2x 10G plus 12poe in a fanless enclosure is great.

configuration did have hiccups for me too though, lots of little weird edge issues like SSH supporting keys but only under specific conditions, some VLAN mysteries that took awhile to solve, etc

otherwise, very Cisco-like so it was very approachable

*some, though not all, of those Brocades can take fan mods

Yep same that thread got me into the Brocade line. I have an ICX 7450-48 and a 7450-48p because I'm an idiot and didn't read the thread well enough. They're drat powerhouses with 40gig modules, but no fan mod and they're vacuum cleaner loud.

Plus I really have no networking experience so I'm a bit over my head. I'm curious though does anyone run a rack in their garage? I'm wondering if I could get away with that since the garage is finished and insulated. It can be as loud as it wants in there for the most part. I've got all the hardware for a nice pfsense or untangle setup + a smart panel, so if I didn't have to spend the money...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our house I installed the rack in the garage, no issues with the temp swings killing equipment though of course ymmv.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

devmd01 posted:

Our house I installed the rack in the garage, no issues with the temp swings killing equipment though of course ymmv.

Hey sweet thanks. I'll give it a go. If the equipment dies it wasn't a huge investment anyway - at least can I put the stuff to work and broaden my knowledge.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I posted this before but didn't get much attention, and I'm hoping for more ideas.

There are two bird baths in my parents yard that I want to set a camera up to watch. The baths are about 20 feet from the house and there is a window with a good view that has access to ethernet, wifi, and power. I would like the camera to have night-vision, and an auto record function when it spots movement. The real issue is that I want to build this for my dad and I need whatever software is used to view video to be SUPER simple to use.

Is what I'm looking for feasible? Or are little critters to small for that?

I've never looked into this kind of stuff before so I am completely out of my depth.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You might be looking for trail/game cameras? I think they have ones now that have wifi.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A cheap $25 Wyze camera would probably be fine too, they have a detection zone you could set around the birdbath and change the sensitivity to pick up the smaller guys

One thing with the night vision is that it needs to be on the outside of the window. If it's inside the IR will bounce right back and blow out the image.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've got a bunch of Aqara sensors which are great. However, the water sensors suck poo poo and go offline all the time.

Anything in this price point or +/- $40 USD I can look at? Zigbee would be nice but I do have Zwave stuff as well.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

You might be looking for trail/game cameras? I think they have ones now that have wifi.

Every trailcam I looked at needed an app to access the images.

FCKGW posted:

A cheap $25 Wyze camera would probably be fine too, they have a detection zone you could set around the birdbath and change the sensitivity to pick up the smaller guys

One thing with the night vision is that it needs to be on the outside of the window. If it's inside the IR will bounce right back and blow out the image.

I bought a Wyzecam and it came today but after playing with it, it looks like the new V3 is only usable through the app.

I just bought this and a POE injector so we'll see how this goes. Only possible issue I see so far is from the angle being possibly too wide but with my goofy requirements I should be good enough.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Spaseman posted:

Ewww, nevermind then sorry.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spaseman posted:

They exist. The keyword you're looking for is "RTSP". If it supports that, you can view it outside of the app. Apps are popular because it takes near zero skill to get up and running of course, but you can still find things that support both.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is there a problem with using the app? You said it needed to be as simple as possible as for most people that’s just “open app, view video”.

Unless you’re talking about viewing this on a PC or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess you could get as simple foscam wireless cam on WiFi with an open port that you then get a static IP for.

Feels like there are a lot of ways that goes wrong though.

Part of using an app is there is some layer of safety between all that. I mean if you trust the app that is.

I guess you could probably make a quick site and make that the public thing and password protect it well but this is fast trending into “a lot of work” territory. I dunno maybe Drupal or another CM can do it fast.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

Is there a problem with using the app? You said it needed to be as simple as possible as for most people that’s just “open app, view video”.

Unless you’re talking about viewing this on a PC or something.

My dad does not and will not use a smart phone. He barely uses a desktop but I'm sure that if I can get a camera working he'd be willing to learn the desktop program to see what the animals get up to at night.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess the simplest thing might be to get a QT/QC system. They are pretty simple and you can just look at a web page and they have customer service for the first year.

I do not particularly like them as a person trying to use them in a business environment against their will but for someone who wants something close to plug and play this is it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Finally branching outside of Philips hue for light control. Got some non-smart bulbs I'm aiming to control.

Is Lutron Caseta the go-to for smart dimmers? Seems popular enough online, and easily available.

And what hub would I want for this? Currently only have a Hue hub. I assume I'll want another hub? The internet is not clear if I can easily get non-Hue devices on it outside a handful of things specifically designed for it. And is the Caseta hub good (and also compatible with non-Lutron devices), or is there a better option?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I believe the Caseta hub is just for Caseta, nothing else. And that Caseta devices can only talk to the Caseta hub. They're not using a standard like Zwave or Zigbee.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

FISHMANPET posted:

I believe the Caseta hub is just for Caseta, nothing else. And that Caseta devices can only talk to the Caseta hub. They're not using a standard like Zwave or Zigbee.

:mad:

Well in that case, I'm open to recommendations! Would very much like to avoid another "locked" ecosystem like Hue. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hue stuff, but if I'm going to get in to some more generic things I definitely want to be able to use whatever I want.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Speaking of Lutron, what are the benefits to going with RA2 over Caseta? Is it just more registered devices and the ability to use Maestro paddle switches? Worth it?

DaveSauce posted:

Well in that case, I'm open to recommendations! Would very much like to avoid another "locked" ecosystem like Hue. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hue stuff, but if I'm going to get in to some more generic things I definitely want to be able to use whatever I want.

How DIY are you willing to go? Do you have a home server you can run stuff on? Home Assistant seems to be the winner if you want to tie a bunch of different platforms together but it’s not very user-friendly.
Is there a specific voice assistant you want to use?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Lawen posted:

Speaking of Lutron, what are the benefits to going with RA2 over Caseta? Is it just more registered devices and the ability to use Maestro paddle switches? Worth it?

How DIY are you willing to go? Do you have a home server you can run stuff on? Home Assistant seems to be the winner if you want to tie a bunch of different platforms together but it’s not very user-friendly.
Is there a specific voice assistant you want to use?

I already have HA running. It's on a Pi right now, but it works.

So I'm not sure how much this changes things. I'd almost certainly be controlling things via HA. Don't want to be bouncing between apps. We use google assistant for SOME voice control, but not for a lot.

I mean, this particular light will be mainly controlled from the local dimmer. But I definitely want to have smart control going forward, so if I'm going to start investing in another "platform" I want to make sure I do it right the first time. HA ties everything together nicely, but I'd rather not have to have 5 different hubs or something.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Inovelli makes nice looking dimmer switches that work with ZWave (and hence HA):
https://www.amazon.ca/Inovelli-Monitoring-Technology-Notifications-Indicator/dp/B07S1BMMGH

FWIW though the Lutron hub connects just fine to HA as well, and I've only used the Lutron app to add new lights.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

The locked Caseta ecosystem was worth it to me personally — the performance and reliability + having almost 40 of the devices made it a no brainer.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DaveSauce posted:

I am very happy with my Leviton wifi switches. Works great with Home Assistant and no hub required. They just came out with a new generation of the switch as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

fletcher posted:

I am very happy with my Leviton wifi switches. Works great with Home Assistant and no hub required. They just came out with a new generation of the switch as well.

At least for me and Home Assistant, when I added them to it they all got grouped together in one group of lights with no ability to separate them out into their appropriate rooms.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

movax posted:

The locked Caseta ecosystem was worth it to me personally — the performance and reliability + having almost 40 of the devices made it a no brainer.

So that's good information to have at least. I'd hate to invest in a new platform only for it to be total crap.

Do the devices fit well in multi-gang boxes? The shape looks... odd. Like it for some reason it looks like it wouldn't fit properly in a standard decora wall plate. I guess what's throwing me is the wall plate accessory they have that has to have a special adapter. Not sure if it's because it's a snap-on and hides screws, or because it's too deep, or what...

fletcher posted:

Definitely going to have to look these up too. I like the no hub required part.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To further confuse things, I'm on team Honewell (zwave) with a zwave stick on HA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3HY74L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are also decora versions as well as "add on switches" (to replace 3 way switches).

I like there because they are both reliable and completely controllable after you pull the plug out of your home automation system. I think all the other suggested are as well, but that's a huge criteria for me. As well as "doesn't need to be on the internet to work with my not on the internet home automation system".

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DaveSauce posted:

Do the devices fit well in multi-gang boxes? The shape looks... odd. Like it for some reason it looks like it wouldn't fit properly in a standard decora wall plate. I guess what's throwing me is the wall plate accessory they have that has to have a special adapter. Not sure if it's because it's a snap-on and hides screws, or because it's too deep, or what...

Yup I ordered lots of these switches and these wall plates and the widest I did was a 4 gang. They are definitely a little deeper than a dumb switch but I was able to cram them in without too much hassle

Motronic posted:

To further confuse things, I'm on team Honewell (zwave) with a zwave stick on HA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3HY74L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are also decora versions as well as "add on switches" (to replace 3 way switches).

I like there because they are both reliable and completely controllable after you pull the plug out of your home automation system. I think all the other suggested are as well, but that's a huge criteria for me. As well as "doesn't need to be on the internet to work with my not on the internet home automation system".

The Leviton wifi switches are also completely controllable if they are not connected to the internet, they operate just like a normal switch (they don't have an on/off position though, it's like a center rocker kinda switch)

I believe the new generation Leviton wifi switches also work on a local network without being connected to the internet, I have not actually tried that yet though

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fletcher posted:

The Leviton wifi switches are also completely controllable if they are not connected to the internet, they operate just like a normal switch (they don't have an on/off position though, it's like a center rocker kinda switch)

Same same. The straight Honewell switches are up/down and you hear a relay click. The Honeywell dimmers do not have a relay click but up/down will turn them on (to the last dimming amount) or off, and holding them up or down when on will dim up or down.

A "real" (not remote/3way) switch will have a physical toggle under the switch to turn them off, which is important when replacing bulbs or doing wiring work because dimmer will get easily fried if there is any arcing on the circuit. This is not unique to these switches or even smart switches.....this has been a thing since dimmers existed.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 26, 2021

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I purchased a new porch light that has the LED integrated into the fixture itself, and I'd like to make it "smart" so I need some kind of relay/switch that I can wire in directly at the lamp to control it. I found some relays made by Sonoff that are pretty inexpensive, any other recommendations?

My porch may be what finally gets me to setup HA, I'll have two fans, both with lights, another porch light, and two runs of string lights, that I want to all be smart, plus an empty spot in a switch box that I'd like to install a switch that will turn on all the lights.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Lawen posted:

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole look here: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3682773_RA2_HWQS_comparison.pdf

Most people wouldn't want to go any higher than RA2 select, because RA2/HWQS programming tools are locked behind training and RA2 is pretty stale at this point. Caseta has been brought so close to RA2 select that unless you want Maestro-style dimmers, capability for a few more devices, or some other edge case from that document, you're probably fine with Caseta.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I saw an interesting video showing the deterrent effect of visible cameras for home security. A episode of 'The first 48' documentary series was following the hunt for a spree home invasion/rapist/killer and one lucky home owner had a clip of the guy walking up to their house and immediately turn around when he saw the camera at the door.

I guess that was $100 well spent.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Installed an "Amcrest" branded 4k camera from Amazon and paired it with BlueIris.

Ended up buying a license for BlueIris. The newest version has integration with DeepStack. So in the clip list you get a list of what it seen in each clip. (Person, car, truck, cat, etc...). You can also set BlueIris to record cameras at a low resolution and then switch to full resolution when it see motions and/or DeepStack detects an object. I have a GTX1060 laying around I am going to slap in the server and give the GPU version of DeepStack a try. Right now DeepStack analysis takes about 400-600ms in software-only mode. GPU based analysis should get that down to under 100ms from what I read.

Next step is configuring MQTT in BlueIris so I can get alerts through Home Assistant when I am away from the house and it detects a person.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TacoHavoc posted:

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole look here: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3682773_RA2_HWQS_comparison.pdf

Most people wouldn't want to go any higher than RA2 select, because RA2/HWQS programming tools are locked behind training and RA2 is pretty stale at this point. Caseta has been brought so close to RA2 select that unless you want Maestro-style dimmers, capability for a few more devices, or some other edge case from that document, you're probably fine with Caseta.

I’ve always been curious if there is any open-source / replacement firmware for Lutron hardware — the stuff is really good, but the RA2 and other ‘high end’ systems smell like state-of-the-art from the 1990s before the Internet exploded in popularity + people generally got smarter about these kind of things by default.

Caseta is great for me at home, and if I wanted too, I could buy the Pro version of the bridge which, if I recall correctly, has a (lol) embedded telnet server available for accessing raw commands and telemetry. But — I think w/ HomeAssistant / HomeBridge, I can get it to do whatever I need to do for now.

My current source of annoyance, which I KNOW is entirely software-limited (at least, IMO it should be), is that the motion / occupancy sensor shares the same timeout for all lights it controls. There’s no way to have one sensor apply a 1 minute timeout to some lights, and a 30 minute timeout to other lights. I suspect the firmware of the sensor does this so it goes to sleep at the appropriate time, but seems like something that you just need to expose in UI/UX to be possible.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, that’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I’d like to be able to use the Maestro switches since they’re more like standard switches but I don’t know that it’s worth the RA2 Select premium. Especially now that I realize the Maestro don’t actually “click” on/off like a Diva switch and instead just kinda press in and return to neutral position like a button.
It also looks like there’s a line of blinds that work with Caseta but not RA2, which seems odd to me.

movax posted:

I’ve always been curious if there is any open-source / replacement firmware for Lutron hardware — the stuff is really good, but the RA2 and other ‘high end’ systems smell like state-of-the-art from the 1990s before the Internet exploded in popularity + people generally got smarter about these kind of things by default.

I totally agree that their stuff feels kinda dated. I guess that’s part of why it’s so dependable but you’d think they’d want to make things at least a bit more customizable, especially for the DIY-friendly Casetta line.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

stevewm posted:

Installed an "Amcrest" branded 4k camera from Amazon and paired it with BlueIris.

Ended up buying a license for BlueIris. The newest version has integration with DeepStack. So in the clip list you get a list of what it seen in each clip. (Person, car, truck, cat, etc...). You can also set BlueIris to record cameras at a low resolution and then switch to full resolution when it see motions and/or DeepStack detects an object. I have a GTX1060 laying around I am going to slap in the server and give the GPU version of DeepStack a try. Right now DeepStack analysis takes about 400-600ms in software-only mode. GPU based analysis should get that down to under 100ms from what I read.

Next step is configuring MQTT in BlueIris so I can get alerts through Home Assistant when I am away from the house and it detects a person.

I have been on BI4 for years, not upgrading to 5 out of general apathy for the new features (substreams being the most exciting feature that could have convinced me to upgrade), but offloading the image analysis to DeepStack seems genuinely pretty cool!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I use BI 5 and record 24x7 - I like the look of deepstack but want to play with things a bit more so I'm going to try tensorflow lite on a raspberry pi 4 with a coral usb accelerator looking at a substream.

I've been wanting to find a project for the pi so doing some smart object detection locally for the IP cameras sounds fun.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

I have been on BI4 for years, not upgrading to 5 out of general apathy for the new features (substreams being the most exciting feature that could have convinced me to upgrade), but offloading the image analysis to DeepStack seems genuinely pretty cool!

Yeah I have it recording the low resolution sub-stream 24/7. And then switching to full resolution/frame-rate when the BI motion detection triggers. The trigger event hands a few snapshots of the triggering event to DeepStack. If it detects an object, then BI adds the recording to the Alert Cliplist. If no object is detected, it is not added to the alert cliplist. But I the main stream full resolution footage is still recorded for the motion trigger.

Setting up the DeepStack thing is fairly easy. Install the appropriate version from the DeepStack website, and then in BI, check the box to use it. Used this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLH9GEcdb9Y

The guy in the video has problems with it not switching to the main stream, but my camera doesn't seem to have this problem.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hooked up my first pellet stove with an ESP-01S and relay. Wasn't too difficult. Decided against a physical button. I just bought a cheap tablet instead I'm going to put on the wall for Home Assistant.

Now I have the second pellet stove to go and should probably bite the bullet and order some temperature sensors since the integration works really well.

I should probably also build or buy enclosures for these to go in because they're ugly just exposed like this and it would be better to have them in a box on the side of the pellet stove then just hanging loose behind it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How concerned should I be that something like this doesn't have any kind of UL or ETL listing? Especially if I'm going to be putting it in my porch ceiling, to control a fixture there.

I've got a light that has an integrated LED light (so no bulbs) that I want directly connected to power without a switch, and the ability to make it smart, without a physical switch on a wall. I've found something like that, but the only other thing I can think of doing is just getting the cheapest UL listed wifi-switch and wiring it in and just pushing it up through a hole in the ceiling into the porch where I never see the actual physical switch, but can still control it via wifi (or Zwave, or Zigbee, or something).