Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

question about the chewing thing. today after her walk, I gave Bailey the bully stick for a bit. I was able to pet her back legs while she chewed, though for now if I got any closer to her head she stopped chewing (but didn't growl). When I took it away, I traded her for a small treat. However after finishing this, she looked for the stick, and after not finding it, she walked to over to my nice media unit and chewed a tad on the corner. I immediately said "NO," she stopped, and I gave her the stick. After chewing on it a bit, I took it away again.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing for now and give her some more time? I don't want to do the bitter apple spray unless I feel like it's not just an early anxiety issue.

We had just gone out for a long walk so I doubt it was boredom! really just hoping it's still early stress and anxiety.

edits:

I am also wondering given I'm home almost all the time, if it would be better for me to close the bedroom and bathroom door. She could still go to the entry, which only has her crate, and nothing that she wants to chew on. And she can still lie on Abby's gross rug.

I did watch a video also showing to practice leave it with random items, shoes, socks, phone, whatever, and then reward when she ignores them, so I think that will help.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

the spruce roose

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

elegant creatures

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Here is our dog eating a burger:

Happy 4th birthday Hazel! :burger:

from a few pages back, but Bailey does the same delicate nibble when I give her a treat, Abby was like ARRGGGHHH TREATTT GIVE ME NOW

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

the spruce roose

The best pest

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
There are some great new additions to this thread! :3:

Also, TODD is definitely a good name for him - I'd absolutely roll with it! :D

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

the spruce roose

:discourse:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey was not a huge fan of the rain and storm, but she did okay outside, but didn't feel like pooping. went into the crate a bit, now she is okay and very :mood:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 24, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Looks like she's having some Big Feelings.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
We had our first experience of poop eating this morning. We think she only got a few licks in but that was pretty :captainpop:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Pretty sure Watson got a few bites of some vomit by the park trashcan. Dogs be gross.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Just today, Gello rolled in some extremely liquid poop. I only noticed because her one ear wasn't standing up because it was weighed down. :barf:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ewww that's bad. Watson has got the poop foot before and that's bad enough.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
TODD has dug out and played with every toy he can get his paws on (and lots of things that weren't). He also keeps making the same mistakes over and over, getting trapped in dumb places. Extreme puppy energy with this goober

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

:lol:

TODD = Totally Oblivious Dumb Dumb

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

:lol:

TODD = Totally Oblivious Dumb Dumb

https://youtu.be/CiH_0Ioai_Q

Since I recorded this he got stuck AGAIN

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love TODD so much

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DarkHorse posted:

I don't understand how he's trapped. Can he not go forward?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
El oh El. Watson also likes to trap himself in narrow spaces. Like between the bed and the wall. It takes him like 5 minutes to slowly back out.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't understand how he's trapped. Can he not go forward?

Sorry if it wasn't clear, there's a wall and also a couch against that wall.

He can go a little further forward but there's nowhere after that. He'd already whined a bit and backed up some before I started recording

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DarkHorse posted:

Sorry if it wasn't clear, there's a wall and also a couch against that wall.

He can go a little further forward but there's nowhere after that. He'd already whined a bit and backed up some before I started recording

TODD. Darling. Idiot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

haha

Bailey was very interested in TODD's whimpers

I'm glad Bailey and TODD are carrying on the Abby and Spartacus traditions :unsmith:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hazel does something similar if I’m working in the study with the door ajar. She knows she can push open the door to get in but then if she doesn’t push it enough, when she wants to leave she gets halfway out and stops and whines because she doesn’t know how to push the door open to get out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well it's officially August 26th. Today would have been Abby's ten year adoption anniversary. I miss you so much Abigail.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Poor Tubbs tore his pads running. He won't even look at my wife after she soaks his paws in Epsom salts and wraps them now.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
TODD: *doesn't like or isn't used to our typical walking pace on walks*

Also TODD: *whines and barks when getting left behind or left out*

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sorry about Tubbs. I discovered Bailey has a corn so I will be trying the duct tape method first. She had walking a bit funny and not liking that front left leg again.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

large hands posted:

Poor Tubbs tore his pads running. He won't even look at my wife after she soaks his paws in Epsom salts and wraps them now.

Aw Tubbs

How did that happen? Did he run on something sharp?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

david_a posted:

Aw Tubbs

How did that happen? Did he run on something sharp?

We're not sure, all I can think is the ground at the park is extra hard from drought and maybe his pads are soft from running less this summer with the heatwaves. Last time it happened was when we stupidly let him run on a shale beach covered with oysters.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

If your greyhound has developed a persistent limp, please get them checked for bone cancer. It takes a lot of 'hounds and we didn't know Cairo had it until it was too late bc the vet was looking at the wrong part of the x-ray (the shoulder, the bone affected with cancer was in the shot at the bottom)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
TODD loves toys so much he's dug just about every one of them out. It is no exaggeration to say he's played with them more in the past week than they've been used in the past eight years.

He loves them so much, in fact, he brings them to sleep with him

He's still got the weird couch goblin thing that Spartacus did too

"Oh no I dropped my toy! I want to get it but I'm comfortable..."

*whine* "I can't reach it :( :( Maybe if i stare it will come back :("

He sat like this for a good long while hoping the situation would change I guess

He's also apparently fond of chewing his toys over the couch so if he drops them he doesn't have to bend down. He's so ADD about it though that he'll switch every time he passes one. Also he's started rudimentary fetch I think

How do I always get the weirdest dogs

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

How do I always get the weirdest dogs

Well, you keep picking greyhounds.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

large hands posted:

Aww Tubbs!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Well, you keep picking greyhounds.

:hmmyes:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Poor Tubbs.

Love that Todd is a weirdo. Here's my weirdo being weird too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60g7kRdJmZA

In other news we're applying to foster a hound. Our local group needs more fosters (Greyhound Welfare) and we figure it'll be a good way to trial having a second dog and get Watson some more social time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

omg I love TODD

I've been duct taping Bailey's corn, hopefully it comes out soon!

I gotta say even for a greyhound she is REALLY lazy. At my friend's house (they have two greyhounds), Abby would always run around full speed in their yard for a bit. Bailey literally like walked around it once, then immediately FELL ASLEEP on the grass

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie and I went to the yearly local car show today:

Before I got Katie I would just ride my bicycle 5 minutes to this. We could have walked if it wasn’t such a brutally hot day with high humidity. I drove and parked as close as I could to be safe. Pretty sure these were the biggest crowds she had ever seen too, but we stayed off to the side as much as possible (no shade in the middle of the streets anyway). I think she did good all things considering but we only lasted an hour and saw maybe a third of it. Poor thing panted for a good 30 minutes when we got home. She got lots of comments like normal :)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello has learned a subtle new technique for getting what she wants without lifting a finger. I present to you, "Whine until you get what you want. Never give up (NEVER)."

https://i.imgur.com/7NCKCts.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/9dmFaAh.mp4

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

The dog of kings

TODD has literally removed every single toy out and played with them more in the past week than either displayed with them over eight years. Also he's starting to bring them to us to throw, aka starting fetch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

drat TODD is very talented. Is that going to be his official name?

Bailey has either a corn, or something else in her paw, it's a real bummer as she has trouble walking. I had used some duct tape, and started doing epsom salt treatment today.