Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KnifeWrench posted:

the entire market for these things is so openly and unashamedly degenerate that, if it's rare and you paid a lot for it, I don't know that it would significantly hurt your chances of finding a greater fool

like you could straight up skip the grift and tell people it's not the nft itself but a limited edition numbered link to the nft and it wouldn't make a difference to some of them (truthfully, it shouldn't make a difference to any of them, since it's literally the same thing)
skip the griftshes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Munkeymon posted:

diamond burns at like blowtorch temperature iirc
Wiki says it will burn in pure oxygen at that temperature but isn't self-sustaining in Earth atmosphere. Sure it's a nice lattice but they're still C-C bonds.

e:

quote:

Less expensive industrial-grade diamonds, known as bort, with more flaws and poorer color than gems, are used for such purposes

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 24, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Munkeymon posted:

diamond burns at like blowtorch temperature iirc

lavoisier burned one with a magnifying glass.

it was a big magnifying glass

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SubG posted:

my nft of all things without nfts clearly contains itself

It always comes back to Set Theory, dammit.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

What is more immoral, a blood diamond or diamond ghost?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is a stage beyond commodity fetishism. I don't think Marx could have envisions something so nakedly stupid and avaricious.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shumagorath posted:

Wiki says it will burn in pure oxygen at that temperature but isn't self-sustaining in Earth atmosphere. Sure it's a nice lattice but they're still C-C bonds.

e:

I think it may have been dust I saw the guy burn in the video so maybe it was just that garbage diamond stuff

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I think it may have been dust I saw the guy burn in the video so maybe it was just that garbage diamond stuff

you can "burn" (as in, convert to carbon dioxide) diamond in normal air if you keep applying heat to it, it's just for it to burn the way we normally think of things burning (you light it and it keeps going) you need pure oxygen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's a classic Russian novel called Dead Souls (not to be confused with a theoretical souls-like game of the same or similar name). It's about a scammer who buys off already dead serfs. The serfs are still on the books, so he can legally purchase them, and hopes to use them as collateral for an enormous bank loan that he wants to pocket. The novel is supposed to be a semi-absurdist satirical piece about ignorance, corruption, and bureaucracy, but I guess it's actually a vision of a cyberpunk utopia.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
is that what Jeff is doing with serph accounts

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

DerekSmartymans posted:

What is more immoral, a blood diamond or diamond ghost?

im going to make an nft of my linux rig (rip), put it inside a diamond, burn the diamond, then make an nft of that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shumagorath posted:

is that what Jeff is doing with serph accounts

those souls hold no value

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

seraph though is trying to infinitely recurse the same worthless soul so there's that

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Weatherman posted:

i`ll trade you boxturret for it

i suspect boxturret is fungible so i feel like that would not be in my interests, can you trade me an nft of boxturret instead

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://twitter.com/DialHForHagai/status/1430160377044680708?s=09

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

To be fair that picture of a pipe is worth a lot more than a pipe

But to be even more fair, the artwork itself is worth a lot more than a url to a jpeg of the artwork

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

i missed this in the whole 600 billion hack stupidity

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonath...sh=48ce37b719cb posted:

* The only assets yet to be returned are USDT tokens valued at roughly $33 million that the token’s issuer, Tether, said it froze on Tuesday to prevent the hacker from moving the funds; Tether did not immediately respond to Forbes’ request for comment about its plans for the tokens.

isn't one of their dipshit arguments for ePogs that nobody can freeze their assets?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to start producing covid vaccine nfts. When you buy one, you can say you are vaccinated.

sir I dont know how to tell you this but you are going to die on a respirator

"impossible, it says im alive on the blockchain"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/bryanrbeal/status/1430303899089612808

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
A bitcoin mining power plant secretly set up shop in Alberta. Now, it's being forced to shut down.

quote:

When residents of an affluent estate community in Alberta started hearing noise from a nearby power plant, they didn't expect their complaints of sleepless nights would lead to a months-long investigation that would find the company had set up operations without approval.

Now, Link Global, the company behind the bitcoin mining operation, is being ordered by the province's utility commission to shut down two plants until it can prove it's allowed to operate — a move the company says will cost jobs and cause oil and gas infrastructure to sit dormant.

"We have a hot tub in the back. We'd go sit and go, hey, what is that airplane landing in our field?" Haas said.

Link Global, based in Vancouver, had set up four 1.25 MW gas generators at the site, pulling power from a dormant natural gas well owned by Calgary-based company MAGA Energy.

There was just one problem. The company hadn't notified neighbours of its plans. Or the county. Or the provincial utilities commission — which allows power plants to be set up without approval if they meet several conditions, including only generating power for the company's own use and proving the plant has no adverse effects on people or the environment.

AUC enforcement investigators wrote that Link Global initially claimed it had an "extensive history" of consultation with the AUC, Sturgeon County and neighbouring residents — but that the company provided no evidence to back that up. A month later, in June, the company finally acknowledged it didn't notify or consult local stakeholders, as it said it was "unaware of the statutory and regulatory requirements."

Link Global had told the AUC in a January letter that it had done a noise impact assessment that found no change between the plant being turned on and off.

But it didn't provide a copy of that noise assessment — instead, it just gave a link to a non-functioning online folder followed by the note "(SORRY LINK IS NOT WORKING)." It also provided a sheet stating the company meets U.S. emission standards but initially provided no evidence as to whether it met Alberta standards.

The company temporarily shut down operations following the AUC order and began operating only during daytime hours (it took a few days to wind things down, another item of contention in AUC enforcement filings). Link Global also implemented noise abatement measures such as a wall of straw bales and exhaust baffles.

But Jenkins, who has a background in forestry and international clean energy development, argues the operation can provide an environmental benefit.

"You're using underutilized or unused power, or even retooling and retasking existing infrastructure. We wouldn't go in and put a new well in," he said.

On Friday, the AUC ruled that both the Sturgeon County and Kirkwall plants were in contravention of the rules.

They have to shut down operations immediately and can only resume once Link Global has proven that it's either obtained permission under the province's environmental protection act or confirmation that permission is not required.

The company will also have to pay penalties — a $50,000 to $75,000 fine, reduced by up to 50 per cent because Link Global admitted to breaking the rules.

"The commission does not take lightly that Link Global began operating multiple power plants in a jurisdiction with which it had no familiarity, and failed to conduct a basic level of due diligence to understand the regulatory regime in which it was operating," the commission ruled.

More penalties could be on the way. The commission will now review whether specific sanctions should be imposed against Link Global for operating without approval — a decision on that is expected this fall.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HappyHippo posted:

But it didn't provide a copy of that noise assessment — instead, it just gave a link to a non-functioning online folder followed by the note "(SORRY LINK IS NOT WORKING)."

Still better than at least 90% of other bitcoin exchanges/mining operations

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Link Global, based in Vancouver, had set up four 1.25 MW gas generators at the site, pulling power from a dormant natural gas well owned by Calgary-based company MAGA Energy.

i really hope they chose that name before like, 2015

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
link is not ready yet plz be patient ^_^;;;

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shame Boy posted:

i really hope they chose that name before like, 2015

quote:

MAGA Energy Ltd. (Make Alberta Great Again) is a private oil & gas production company based in Calgary, Alberta, with 20 employees. Current total production is approximately 1800 BOE/day, equally weighted between oil, gas, and natural gas liquids. The total well count of MAGA is approximately 250 with 95 producing wells. MAGA’s land position consists of 100 sections (64,000 acres), the majority of which carry a 100% working interest.

Edit: Also WHOIS says they registered that site in 2019, so yeah

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 25, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

really this is my favorite part of the whole thing though

quote:

"There's definitely a lot of concern that I think is warranted around the environmental impact of bitcoin and what is the benefit of using all of this energy … and in particular the potential for bitcoin operations to end up extending the lifetime of older energy infrastructure that would otherwise be retired," she said.

But Jenkins, who has a background in forestry and international clean energy development, argues the operation can provide an environmental benefit.

"You're using underutilized or unused power, or even retooling and retasking existing infrastructure. We wouldn't go in and put a new well in," he said.

there's a real concern about bitcoin extending the lifetime of older energy infrastructure that would otherwise be retired. but don't worry, all we're doing is using older energy infrastructure that was otherwise retired.

e: oh it's two different people saying the first and second part, still good job pairing them with each other in that specific way article author

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

well at least it's uniquely canadian in its awfulness

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://twitter.com/maxleibman/status/1430495122672717828

:holymoley:

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 25, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

quote:

But it didn't provide a copy of that noise assessment — instead, it just gave a link to a non-functioning online folder followed by the note "(SORRY LINK IS NOT WORKING)."
ahhhh, so they got an NFT......

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is it too early for a new thread title?

buttcoin: democratizing finance the same way we democratized Afghanistan

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
alberta has counties?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shame Boy posted:

right?! the current one is so good, too

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
YOSPOS > buttcoin: We have a hot tub in the back.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

alberta has counties?

how else do they tell the wildfires apart

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol came here to post that CBC story

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Beelzebufo posted:

This is a stage beyond commodity fetishism. I don't think Marx could have envisions something so nakedly stupid and avaricious.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shame Boy posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

I'd go for "buttcoin: the future of nothing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'd go for "buttcoin: the future of nothing"