Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I used to do this fun thing I called “gate sprints.” I’d run into an Oblivion gate and just book it as fast as I could and avoid enemies as necessary except for dudes holding keys. Then run to the sigil stone and warp out. Kind of a fun mini challenge.

You held the world record for one Oblivion Games even, from the third to the fourth Dragon Break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the Skyrim Modding thread:

Speaking of Wabbajack..

Should it take a really, really long time to install a modlist?

I'm trying to install Serenity 2 for Skyrim Special Edition, which is a 932 mod list, and it's been stuck at "10/22 Extracting Modlist Contents", with no movement on the progress bar for more than an hour. I did try restarting Wabbajack, but only after giving it lots and LOTS of time to show me any indication of progress.

The little console screen shows " Extracting serenity.wabbajack - done" as the last line.

Is this normal?

Edit: Just restarted it again after about another hour of no progress because it's a recommended troubleshooting step in the web page.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2021

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I just installed a mod list of like ~867 some mods and I had to stop/restart it a few times to get it to go all the way through. It still took forever, and I had to grab a Nexus subscription because manually clicking download on 867 mods was going to make me pull my hair out.

e: But it is still a super cool program.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

John F Bennett posted:

Are you saying this is not the regular way of doing these?

I’m sure other folks have done it, but I’d never read or heard of any folks doing so.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I am having a blast playing skyrim on a quest 2 headset. I'm sneaking around in a dungeon, decapitate a bandit with a headshot arrow crit, then pick up the head with my hands and throw it down the hallway to set off a trap.

I don't think I can go back to pancake ES.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kedo posted:

I just installed a mod list of like ~867 some mods and I had to stop/restart it a few times to get it to go all the way through. It still took forever, and I had to grab a Nexus subscription because manually clicking download on 867 mods was going to make me pull my hair out.

e: But it is still a super cool program.

It finally finished and I have now I have a stable and insanely modded Skyrim. I'd always been someone who would install one overhaul and maybe a half dozen smaller mods, and the difference here is stark.

One treat is that I don't know what's in it so as I encounter new characters, new places, new mechanics, it's all taking me by surprise.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Forgive the self post, I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the imgur app:

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1429798475726721026?s=19

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThaumPenguin posted:

Forgive the self post, I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the imgur app:

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1429798475726721026?s=19

lol

Playing Oblivion last night, I spy a highwayman hidden behind a rock up ahead. I get closer and he aggros on a couple of enemies behind him, yelling at me to watch out. We kill them together and he runs back to his hiding spot. I get back on the road, pass him, and he runs out and demands 100 Gold from me. I love these dumb games :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I felt like Oblivion recently and just started playing a nord mage. As I was doing the Anvil recommendation quest there was suddenly a commotion on the road ahead and instead of the rogue mage ambushing me they were in the middle of the road together with an imperial patrol fighting a small pack of daedra. After helping them out the mage turned to me and loudly yelled about robbing me and then instantly died to the soldier slashing them.
My guess is a nearby gate had triggered an encounter right on the same spot as the ambush.

Being a mage sure is hard when you don't have the altmer or even breton extra magicka. I've had to resort to fists a few times as I can't afford to buy a staff. I'm NOT dealing with durability.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

back around the time oblivion came out i remember reading some interview with the devs where they said in some prerelease build the ai was completely off the rails and they had to significantly tone it down in the final version, like mad shopkeepers going on multi-town murder sprees over a misplaced broom. always wished they'd just left it like that!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You say that, but what you would mostly see is random fights you don't understand. You won't have the tools to dig in to the game and find out that NPC X didn't have any food and his Criminality rating meant he would try and kill people who had an apple in their inventory.

A relic of this made it into New Vegas though. NPCs didn't see ED-E as a person, so if you ever gave them a food or drink to carry, people would try and kill them to take it.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 24, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of Oblivion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQFI131sJQ

And
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw9QCNJqOXw

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 24, 2021

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Armor for racing backwards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYG0YWdkSKI

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is some peak oblivion right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDlZoTPgEU0

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oblivion, how do you mage effectively? Are you supposed to just chug magicka potions if you run into a semi-tough enemy or whenever you have to face more than one at the time? Be altmer or embrace the addiction? I did the Anvil ghost ship quest and thank the nine the wraiths were somehow unable to fit through the captain's quarter doorway because it took forever to kill just one.

Skryim, is it worth training block? I prefer using two handed weapons so trying to block, at least at low skill, barely does anything and I just end up attacking for damage and a chance of stagger instead because it seems more useful.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Poil posted:

Oblivion, how do you mage effectively? Are you supposed to just chug magicka potions if you run into a semi-tough enemy or whenever you have to face more than one at the time? Be altmer or embrace the addiction? I did the Anvil ghost ship quest and thank the nine the wraiths were somehow unable to fit through the captain's quarter doorway because it took forever to kill just one.

Are you atronach sign? Fill up on magicka at shrines and Ayleid wells generally and yes, chug potions otherwise.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Poil posted:

IIRC, there was something called spell chaining, you would create spells that replenish magicka for the next spell. The downside was that once you stopped casting, you would be drained of all magicka, but I might be wrong.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds needlessly complicated and not very fun.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Are you atronach sign? Fill up on magicka at shrines and Ayleid wells generally and yes, chug potions otherwise.
No, mage sign. My magicka pool is so small and it replenishes so slowly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you have the wizard tower or university access and the absorb health, magicka, and stamina spells you can set up an aoe touch absorb all that steals more magicka (if there's at least a crowd of two) than it costs. Otherwise you need to keep leveling and jack int up as much as possible

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/youngscrolls/status/1431670593854844928

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Poil posted:

Skryim, is it worth training block? I prefer using two handed weapons so trying to block, at least at low skill, barely does anything and I just end up attacking for damage and a chance of stagger instead because it seems more useful.

I found Block to be necessary for advancing on archers, but not that useful in melee. It's also really nice to get the (final?) skill that lets you knocm enemies down by sprinting into them with your shield. Choo choo, motherfuckers!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Finally beat morrowind, I go to mournhold and as a reincarnated saint get btfo by goblins in the sewers, rip nerevar

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Poil posted:

Block is really weird and hard to make use of, tbh. There are very little times I've ever found one might want to block compared to parrying with a bash or just dodging the attack. You can get up to an 85% damage reduction at maximum with enough training/Fortify Block, even for two-handed weapon blocking, but it's still a really awkward system honestly. I can only ever imagine coming close to needing it on Master/Legendary.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The perk from the Block tree that slows down time when blocking a power attack is neat though. Just for the cool factor of going "nope" and sidestepping.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for block chat. So overall it's not worth grinding or training up it seems.

But how does slow down perk work with multiple enemies? Does it trigger if anyone of them starts power attacking? Or just one I'm aiming towards?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jQ0a0rQCY

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/225

Finally someone's fixed DF dungeon exteriors.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh wow, this looks amazing! Thanks for highlighting it!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally done with Morrowind for now so off to Oblivion I go. This will be my first time ever playing Oblivion so I'm kinda excited to see how bad it may or may not be. I don't think I'm going to mod gameplay at all since I don't know what it's like yet and I hate modding games that I haven't even played. I will install the unofficial bug fixes I think and that's all.

I think I'm going to play a Mage of some sort. I look forward to regaling you all with my experiences in potato land.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Finally done with Morrowind for now so off to Oblivion I go. This will be my first time ever playing Oblivion so I'm kinda excited to see how bad it may or may not be. I don't think I'm going to mod gameplay at all since I don't know what it's like yet and I hate modding games that I haven't even played. I will install the unofficial bug fixes I think and that's all.

I think I'm going to play a Mage of some sort. I look forward to regaling you all with my experiences in potato land.

Mage is definitely the best choice for such a playthrough, worst case scenario turn the difficulty slider down when it gets annoying

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't put your main skills in your class. The over-leveling problem only really happens when your main skills are the ones you use the most.

Counter-intuitive? Absolutely. But it really helps the problem where you things get so hard you need to use the difficulty slider.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Do the kvatch section of the MQ early on so you don't have to deal with swarms of top tier daedra

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Playing with either Maskar's or Ascension seems to gently caress with Kvatch at low levels, unless I'm supposed to be able to deal with 30 fire atronachs at level 8

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Don't put your main skills in your class. The over-leveling problem only really happens when your main skills are the ones you use the most.

Counter-intuitive? Absolutely. But it really helps the problem where you things get so hard you need to use the difficulty slider.
Does Oblivion still have the random chance of failure based on your skill level or whatever from Morrowind? Because IIRC in that game trying to actually use a skill you didn't have in class was torture because you'd never actually succeed and thus never get skill xp and thus never level up the skill from its starting value of like five.

Like I get that Skyrim isn't as interesting a setting as Morrowind, but Morrowind is just so janky that it isn't fun to play.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Playing with either Maskar's or Ascension seems to gently caress with Kvatch at low levels, unless I'm supposed to be able to deal with 30 fire atronachs at level 8

it isn't maskar's

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Does Oblivion still have the random chance of failure based on your skill level or whatever from Morrowind? Because IIRC in that game trying to actually use a skill you didn't have in class was torture because you'd never actually succeed and thus never get skill xp and thus never level up the skill from its starting value of like five.

Like I get that Skyrim isn't as interesting a setting as Morrowind, but Morrowind is just so janky that it isn't fun to play.

You're supposed to use all your disposable income on trainers in Morrowind

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I made a High Elf Sorcerer with Atronach sign. I'm not sure if Atronach was the best choice as a newbie but I love that combo in Morrowind. I just need to figure out how to fill my big magicka bar back to full in this.

I do have a sword that I'm bashing things with since I'm frequently out of magic. I guess the fact that I'm perpetually out of mana might slow my leveling down somewhat. I guess we'll see how this goes.

e: my character kinda looks like Phil Leotardo. Either that, or Eugene Levy.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 6, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

counterpoint: set the difficulty to min and play in a way that feels fun to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

counter-counterpoint: get rid of level-scaling with mods