Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Shine egg

If I messed up the cerakote application in one spot (like an additional splotch you can make out on the middle), can I polish that out or do I need to go back to wet sanding and reapply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

New (used) fender came back from the body shop:

I guess I'll get around to putting it on eventually.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Honestly I prefer the bandaid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Honestly I prefer the bandaid.

Same. This is why I'm in no hurry to install it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Scionix posted:

Didn't mean to upset you brother, it's just more fun doing everything myself.

Didn't mean to sound so agro about it. I think I remember what kind of mood I was in.

All the Porsche forums are insufferably thick with guys who think they outdrive the features of their cars. They think electric power steering is preventing them from being a tenth faster around their residential block. I occasionally visit rennlist or whatever to try and dig up part numbers and whatnot and it's just endless nonsense and I gotta vent sometimes. I seriously once saw someone complain that their car drops revs too fast and why would Porsche design something like that besides to make them wear the clutch faster to make those unscheduled service bux.

I usually sling mud at the Maserati drivers as the ones who know absolutely jack poo poo about cars but just trying to find out which fuses are switched for my joyeauto to stop killing my battery made me want to club baby seals and deviated stitch them with red panda sinew.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have become what I hate.

I ordered a vanity plate for my 993. Hopefully they're taken and I'm forced to just get a regular one.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I have become what I hate.

I ordered a vanity plate for my 993. Hopefully they're taken and I'm forced to just get a regular one.

AIRKEWL

K00L911

AIRDADDY

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
DONTLIFT

LASTGOOD

996 LOL

(<- 996 owner, so, tongue firmly in cheek)

televiper fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 25, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A more serious question:

Our macan is coming up on 5 years (October) and has 125k miles on it, which were mainly put on over the past 5 years driving over the interstate at 70-80mph.

It’s now spared from that, and we should be only driving 10-15k miles/year.

Would anyone do a suspension refresh of some sort now? Most of the miles have been on the highway, but there’s still 125k of them. If so, what would you replace? Shocks? Springs?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

A more serious question:

Our macan is coming up on 5 years (October) and has 125k miles on it, which were mainly put on over the past 5 years driving over the interstate at 70-80mph.

It’s now spared from that, and we should be only driving 10-15k miles/year.

Would anyone do a suspension refresh of some sort now? Most of the miles have been on the highway, but there’s still 125k of them. If so, what would you replace? Shocks? Springs?

If you have PASM, the dampers will tell you when they're worn out. If you do not, then you might be due yeah. Springs don't wear out due to cycling (at least not that quickly). Bushings might be getting there. I would focus on suspension bushings before anything else.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I guess if you're looking to throw money at it maybe, but if it's still tight and no problems I wouldn't bother :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This is just a regular Macan, no PASM.

It still drives great, suspension has no issues holding an alignment, etc, but you can definitely feel it’s a bit bouncier/a touch looser whenever I get a loaner. :shrug:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

This is just a regular Macan, no PASM.

It still drives great, suspension has no issues holding an alignment, etc, but you can definitely feel it’s a bit bouncier/a touch looser whenever I get a loaner. :shrug:

Couldn't hurt to toss some Bilstein OEM+ dampers at it then along with taking a hard look at the bushings.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

If you're feeling the urge I'd replace all the plastic bushings then toss some new factory or factory equivalent shocks on it. Should tighten it back up to near new levels without causing too much strain on the wallet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you're feeling the urge I'd replace all the plastic bushings then toss some new factory or factory equivalent shocks on it. Should tighten it back up to near new levels without causing too much strain on the wallet.

Yeah, I'm just not sure what "should" be replaced on a car with 125k miles, suspension wise. Theoretically something is probably worn out by this time, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I'm just not sure what "should" be replaced on a car with 125k miles, suspension wise. Theoretically something is probably worn out by this time, right?

Somebody needs to get under it an look/push/pull. But at that mileage and age it's dampers, and potentially bushings. It's even possible you have a bad sway bar mount. There's not enough wear to be worried about springs, sway bar replacements, strut tower bearings, etc unless the thing has taken some serious hits.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Somebody needs to get under it an look/push/pull. But at that mileage and age it's dampers, and potentially bushings. It's even possible you have a bad sway bar mount. There's not enough wear to be worried about springs, sway bar replacements, strut tower bearings, etc unless the thing has taken some serious hits.

McTinkerson posted:

Couldn't hurt to toss some Bilstein OEM+ dampers at it then along with taking a hard look at the bushings.

Gotcha. The last time I took it to the dealer (ended up doing a service along with a recall related issue), they only commented that it "wasn't as tight as a new car, but in great shape." Presumably it's the dampers that would give it that feeling? It looks like Bilstein B6s are available and fairly inexpensive, so that may be something to think about at some point. Which "bushings" exactly are you guys talking about?

Or we just keep on driving it until something catastrophic blows up.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

So my custom plate I was going to order is not cool? :ohdear:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Which "bushings" exactly are you guys talking about?

On yours it's probably just an upper arm to chassis bushing, the sway bar bushings and a trans mount busing.

Based on age (not enough for bushings to just have dried out) mileage (enough to wear dampers, especially with the roads you were driving on) it's most likely to be dampers. Or at least overwhelmingly dampers.

As to what to do? Sounds like there's nothing wrong with it, but a refresh could make it perfect again. If you didn't care about driving dynamics you'd have a Prius, so you do what makes you enjoy driving it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kensei posted:

No, custom plates are never cool.

Motronic posted:

On yours it's probably just an upper arm to chassis bushing, the sway bar bushings and a trans mount busing.

Based on age (not enough for bushings to just have dried out) mileage (enough to wear dampers, especially with the roads you were driving on) it's most likely to be dampers. Or at least overwhelmingly dampers.

As to what to do? Sounds like there's nothing wrong with it, but a refresh could make it perfect again. If you didn't care about driving dynamics you'd have a Prius, so you do what makes you enjoy driving it.

Thanks! They're not terrible right now, so maybe I'll add it on during the next oil change or something.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kensei posted:

I was thinking of ordering PORK3R or similar for mine

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The real question is how much will VROOM, Carvana etc give you for the Macan.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

The real question is how much will VROOM, Carvana etc give you for the Macan.

A 2017 Macan with 125k miles? I can't imagine it's going to be good.

And then we'd need a car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Also: lol, Bilsteins are backordered for "60-90 days+," so we've got plenty of time!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

A 2017 Macan with 125k miles? I can't imagine it's going to be good.

And then we'd need a car.

I'm guessing like 29k.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ordering AI4LFE to prove you all wrong!!!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I’m gonna get WAGOON to really own everyone!!1

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

I’m gonna get WAGOON to really own everyone!!1

But then you have to move north

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Let my new top on the Boxster top stretch and break-in for about 2 weeks in the closed position. Moment of truth was lowering and closing the top again and I didn't hear any funky noises or scary tearing sounds so i'd say my operation was a success.

The initial closing required me to use a slight pull on the handles to get the latch hooked in, but upon opening and closing with the button for the first time it will close all the way without further assistance. I'm glad I picked the red/burgundy, looks pretty slick on white I think.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

infraboy posted:

I'm glad I picked the red/burgundy, looks pretty slick on white I think.
A+ combo, now to get red seatbelts and tach to match!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

infraboy posted:

I'm glad I picked the red/burgundy, looks pretty slick on white I think.

That does look sharp.

Glad it worked out. You're good for a while now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

infraboy posted:

Let my new top on the Boxster top stretch and break-in for about 2 weeks in the closed position. Moment of truth was lowering and closing the top again and I didn't hear any funky noises or scary tearing sounds so i'd say my operation was a success.

The initial closing required me to use a slight pull on the handles to get the latch hooked in, but upon opening and closing with the button for the first time it will close all the way without further assistance. I'm glad I picked the red/burgundy, looks pretty slick on white I think.

that looks loving sharp

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Alarbus posted:

But then you have to move north

I mean…that is in the works :ninja:

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 26, 2021

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

kensei posted:

I've considered getting NTAREAL (or something to that effect) for my 924S several times.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I’m yolking out!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Looks really good!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FasterThanLight posted:

I've considered getting NTAREAL (or something to that effect) for my 924S several times.

I wanted to get PORSHUH like the pronunciation

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Looks really good!

Thank you. It is nice to have the rear ambers matching the fronts now. However, turning these on is like flicking on an old 80's flashlight, lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks really good, so good job!

But check your aim. My 996 Halogens are awesome and throw tons of light. I'm sure litronics/xenons would be better, but they are really quite good.

Has this been discussed here at all? I never venture into the EV thread.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2017-New-Version-2-Seats-Mini_60704082273.html?spm=a2700.details.0.0.2a075a19AdNdwy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I haven't driven with them at night yet, so maybe they aren't as bad as they appear just in the garage. That's good news, though. Hopefully the aim isn't too far off. The xenons that came with the car were crudely retrofitted and although they work, the adjustments do not work 100% correctly and some of the pvc around the wires is melting due to excessive heat. There's also now water stuck in one of the corner indicators after whatever wash my shop used. Will definitely be notating no wash for future services.

My exhaust was also not-so-perfectly fistered so that's why my tips were so out of whack. I had my shop adjust my tips (which are OEM, btw, stamping was just out of view in my pics), so they have been moved just enough away to stop burning the paint off my bumper. Maybe now I'll try to touch up what's already blasted off.

The car checked out pretty well otherwise. It just needed an alignment and the steering feel is a lot better now.