Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Coward posted:

The day Instant Healing became a click power and a glorified Dull Pain is when Regen died as a set.

Way back in the day, before ED and the hits to Regen, the powerset pretty much had 2 states: topped off and dead. I felt invincible as DM/Regen unless something hit me so hard that I lost like 95% of my health in one shot. It was simply unreal how fast you healed with everything toggled on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Ziddar posted:

Way back in the day, before ED and the hits to Regen, the powerset pretty much had 2 states: topped off and dead. I felt invincible as DM/Regen unless something hit me so hard that I lost like 95% of my health in one shot. It was simply unreal how fast you healed with everything toggled on.

Yeah, it was basically "Is there an Alpha strike? No? Okay, I'll tank everything."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's frankly pretty dumb how blatantly Willpower is just a better version of Regen. Maybe not quite as unkillably overpowered as OG Regen was, but when I think of a set that can comfortably get away with a lot even off of just a regular SO build it's WP.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

It's frankly pretty dumb how blatantly Willpower is just a better version of Regen. Maybe not quite as unkillably overpowered as OG Regen was, but when I think of a set that can comfortably get away with a lot even off of just a regular SO build it's WP.

Regen needed to be rebuilt from the ground up, but of course you had your Golden Girls who would never accept that, so instead of the complete rework it needed, they just made said rework into Willpower.

As someone who had an MA/Regen Scrapper for their first 50, and who even to this day loves Regen*, I still only consider picking it if it fits the character concept. And even then, I don't always end up picking it.

*I came in just before the level cap for Villains was raised to 50, so I missed pre-ED Regen.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

All they had to do was fudge the numbrrs a bit so the heal wasn't so overwhelming, or make the power at least be once every second fight in terms of cooldown instead of ridiculously long and Instant Healing would still be a fine capstone to make Regen almost worth it. I have no idea why they nerfed it as much as they did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kheldarn posted:

Regen needed to be rebuilt from the ground up, but of course you had your Golden Girls who would never accept that, so instead of the complete rework it needed, they just made said rework into Willpower.

As someone who had an MA/Regen Scrapper for their first 50, and who even to this day loves Regen*, I still only consider picking it if it fits the character concept. And even then, I don't always end up picking it.

*I came in just before the level cap for Villains was raised to 50, so I missed pre-ED Regen.

Yo, my first main was also MA/Regen. :hf: And yeah I treat Regen the exact same way.

Honestly the thing that sticks out the most these days is just how cumbersome it is to get off the ground. It turns out a set entirely balanced around recharge and eking out the maximum amount of regen from healing enhancements loving sucks before you have access to those. Reconstruction being a 30 second cooldown already feels like a long time, anything longer than that feels like an eon. And for your troubles it's a glorified small green inspiration...

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'd love to see "legacy" copies of powersets alongside current, and depending on the server, re-imagined or re-balanced versions as well. For regen specifically, I think instant healing might be doable as a toggle if it provided some amount of absorb on a regular cadence.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Pull up a chair, let me tell a story of how Regen sucked, then didn't suck, then sucked.

At launch, several Regen powers worked differently. Integration only gave mez protection. Resilience only gave smash/lethal resist. Instant Healing healed you at a huge rate, but it also guzzled a massive amount of end, making it pretty much impossible to fight with it on. And, Moment of Glory gave huge defense and resist, but it turned of ALL regen and healing, making it almost useless. Regeneration was one of four choices for Scrappers; the others were Invulnerability, Super Reflexes, and Dark Armor. All of them were... kinda ok. Invul was probably the best, although it forced you to stand in place in order to get mez protection. Super Reflexes was weak because Defense was weak at launch, and Dark Armor forced you to choose between armors. So, back then, it kinda sucked, but it wasn't too bad compared to the others.

But then, something magical happened; Hami-O's, most notably Golgi, which buffed healing and reduced endurance cost. With six of these slotted into Instant Healing, scrappers could heal at an insane rate and still have endurance left over. In addition, some regen was added to Integration, making it another Golgi target; plus, by then, every player had realized that they needed the Fitness pool. All these factors made Regen scraps an insane juggernaut of death. I still remember soloing several archvillains with my DM/regen, including Countess Crey, the Envoy of Shadows, and the Kronos Titan, all of which should have been impossible back in the day. But then, Emmert saw that people were having fun and swung the nerf bat. In addition to ED, Instant Healing was made a toggle with a long timer, and suddenly regen was a joke.

Things perked up after a long while; Resilience was expanded to cover all damage, and the heal lock was removed from Moment of Glory. By then, Willpower had come out, which was flat-out better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Regen is objectively not a good set, but with enough effort put into enhancements and a good team I have seen Regen scrappers succeed in the most difficult content the game has to offer.

Don’t let your superhero memes be dreams.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

Invul has a PSI hole and it's a bit hard on your END bar, but overall it's a good set. As for Regen, the problem is twofold: 1) It's too clicky, and 2) Willpower gives you heal/regen that's approx 60% of what Regen gives you, and on top of that it has defense and resist and tohit debuff, and it's less clicky.

One thing I've wondered for a while - a lot of sets have deliberate holes against psi, but what is the set that is the best against psi? Willpower gets both defense and resist against it, but not really high amounts of either. Dark only gets resist, but it gets a lot of it (higher than it gets against energy!). Positional defenses will cover some psi attacks, but not others, so sets like ninjitsu or SR can be good against some psi attacks but not all of them since some psi attacks don't have positional tags at all. Which is the defensive set that is overall the most protected against psi?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Probably Fortunata/Night Widow - they've got great positional and Psi defense, plus resistances on top of it thanks to Foresight and Mind Link. You'll be sitting pretty close to the cap for defense and resistance even without building specifically for it, plus something like 40% of that resistance gets to be shared with your teammates.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This may have changed with later Praetorian enemy groups and such, but it turned out that like 90% of psionic attacks are position typed. Basically it's only just Mind Control-derived powers that ignore positional defense. If it shoots mind bullets, you can dodge 'em.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Dark and Electric armor are also pretty strong at psionic resistance, and IO sets that grant toxic/psionic resist give large amounts if you really want to cap it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I've wondered for a while - a lot of sets have deliberate holes against psi, but what is the set that is the best against psi? Willpower gets both defense and resist against it, but not really high amounts of either. Dark only gets resist, but it gets a lot of it (higher than it gets against energy!). Positional defenses will cover some psi attacks, but not others, so sets like ninjitsu or SR can be good against some psi attacks but not all of them since some psi attacks don't have positional tags at all. Which is the defensive set that is overall the most protected against psi?

Willpower gives you some PSI defense and resist. Plus lots of regen, which doesn't care about type.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
a dark defender can hit psi resist cap easily, along with being relatively easy to hit mid 30s in all defenses, plus all the -tohit ontop of that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Even as a Peacebringer I was able to hit pretty high quantities of PSI resist just monkeying around with set IO bonuses and uniques without compromising the rest of the build.

I imagine anything with a smidge of baseline psi defenses can do the job.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any sort of goon presence remaining in the Homecoming servers? I recreated some of my old characters for old time's sake, but activity on this thread seems somewhat spotty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's the standard City of Heroes cycle of ignoring the game completely for 3-6 months, then suddenly waking up one day with an idea for new alt and then you play for 100 hours straight, then take another break.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just got back in a week or so ago, transferred some of my good characters to Excelsior. I play about an hour or two every other day.

On that note, even when there was a big goon presence in the game, I never got any traffic on the goonsquad channel. It's entirely possible I was in the wrong one, is it case-sensitive or prefixed with a special character? Because I was just in 'goonsquad'.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No that's it. Make sure it's added to your tab and all that. I don't think I've even sent a message to channel the last few times I played though. I'd really like to get a static group of four or so to actually run through story arcs instead of just do the DFB to taskforce level rush.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I could be persuaded to do this, feel free to PM your global

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nonexistence posted:

I could be persuaded to do this, feel free to PM your global

Well, that's two. Do we have two more? Coordinated alts, story missions, and actually playing the game instead of blitzing the content?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Love some coordinated theme characters, it's a shame they never re-enabled or expanded on level pacts. No preference on red vs. blue.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’ve been playing fairly regularly the last week or two

You may see me in game arguing with chuds in general as * Fist, jazz fist, moist fist, balmy fist etc

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 1, 2021

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Nonexistence posted:

Love some coordinated theme characters

Suddenly I want to make the worst Sentai tan imaginable

I've been playing on and off recently, but the goonsquad chat had been quiet. Are there any supergroups set up, or do people just kinda fly solo at this point?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I haven't played in a while but I used my personal supergroup base as a place to store enhancements for alts. You can invite your alts to your sg with /altinvite.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

More art commissioned by my friend, who plays Citizen Thirteen.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
drat those are good. I kinda want to do that now too.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Just checking in. Still working on combat, but we got both flight and super flight in. Running and jumping are still on the board, but combat first. Me? Been in the hospital since January, project didn't slow down much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQDGhxv9_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pk-nVBFj8&t=27s

People say the feel's pretty good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Warcabbit posted:

Just checking in. Still working on combat, but we got both flight and super flight in. Running and jumping are still on the board, but combat first. Me? Been in the hospital since January, project didn't slow down much.

Looks very good.

Sorry about the hospital my dude, I've been in that kind of situation myself in the past and hated every second of it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Warcabbit posted:

Well, at least you got in early to beat the rush?

But really, I'm real sorry to hear about that man and I hope you recover soon.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm out, mostly recovered. All my limbs work... technically. Not even in the wheelchair anymore.

Any questions about the game? You guys played with flight any?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warcabbit posted:

Looks really good!

Hope you're doing better.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Had a pug TinPex that turned into a gimmick run once we ended up with this team. Managed to beat it with minimal deaths, though one of the blasters got a hair up his butt and rage quit when he tried to solo angry Bobcat at the end and got himself plasted. Beat her easy with ranged kiting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

winterwerefox posted:

Had a pug TinPex that turned into a gimmick run once we ended up with this team. Managed to beat it with minimal deaths, though one of the blasters got a hair up his butt and rage quit when he tried to solo angry Bobcat at the end and got himself plasted. Beat her easy with ranged kiting.

Wow. Did you have a lot of leadership stacking? I find myself taking it a lot with blasters since you can't hit all their buttons on cooldown anyways.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

i honestly dont remember, ha! I know I've got tons of S/L/E/ranged defense, and it felt like the others did too. I was a bit high on pain meds at the time, so I didnt think to look at builds or buffs.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Homecoming's got page 3 up on the beta server.

Lots of everything! Stone Blast, Stone on Scrappers, Stone Armor and Elec Blast might not suck anymore???

It's only for the new SF for now, but new higher difficulty options with bigger rewards are also pretty neat. Also: innertube.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Boulder Bolt
Boulder Blast
Breath of Boulders
Aim (Your Boulder)
Bigger Boulder Blast
Rain of Boulders
Throw Your Boulder From Really Far Away
Throw Your Boulder In A Way That Doesn't Hurt But Can Accept Hold/Stun Procs
Melf's Minute Meteors

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Homecoming's got page 3 up on the beta server.

Lots of everything! Stone Blast, Stone on Scrappers, Stone Armor and Elec Blast might not suck anymore???

It's only for the new SF for now, but new higher difficulty options with bigger rewards are also pretty neat. Also: innertube.

Genuinely surprised to see stone melee on scrappers with fault/tremor both still in there. Even without the guaranteed mag 4 hold it's a strong set for crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Oh hey, a handful of costume pieces.