Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

cruft posted:

'Round these parts, farmers drive combine harvesters down the road to get from one field to the next, and people deal with it. Anybody claiming that's unsafe gets laughed out of the room.

We also have people riding horses, bicycles, backhoes, and other slow things. But I feel like we just had this discussion in this forum, and nobody's mind was changed, so it's maybe not worth doing a second time this month.

I'm not sure what the 0-60 of a combine is. I'm guessing something around ∞.

e: looks like top speed for at least one model is 20MPH.

Nobody's trying to merge a combine onto the interstate, or at least I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

borkencode posted:

Nobody's trying to merge a combine onto the interstate, or at least I hope not.

That's why interstates have a minimum speed of 45. Slow vehicles need to stick to the two-lanes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NJ Deac posted:

I went to see and sat in an e-tron GT today. It's a very pretty car. Assuming I can wrap my head around the idea of dropping an unreasonable amount of money on a car, I could use some advice processing some unusual stuff the dealer told me.

In particular, my local dealer didn't have their e-tron GT out on the showroom floor like most of the other ones I see listed online (seems everyone else has photos sitting in a showroom). In fact, none of the online photos were anything other than the standard stock images. The car also looked like it hadn't been detailed after transport - it wasn't filthy, but it didn't look freshly washed either. The salesman said there was an issue with one of the AWD components and mumbled something about the charger (great sign!) and it had been in the shop until just before I showed up for my appointment. It's been showing in their inventory for a few weeks but it also only had .6 miles on the odometer, so I'm probably the first person since it rolled out of the factory to drive it.

Assuming I decide to spend a ruinous amount on this car and otherwise do the typical car shopping due diligence, how typical is this sort of service visit fresh off the truck/boat from Germany? Is this part of the normal dealer shakedown they do when receiving new cars, or a huge red flag? I'm gonna ask the dealer for the service records relating to the repair - but would you treat it as a dealbreaker if they won't cough them up and say it's all covered under the warranty anyway? I appreciate any advice folks have.

Not 100% clear what you're asking - is it whether the car can have has any faults at all pre delivery?

I suspect that EVs are sufficiently complicated machines that a few errors while they're setting it up is not abnormal. I don't think those would appear as warranty repairs, but no real idea tbh. My car has been back to the garage for a couple of updates and I wouldn't consider it any kind of red flag for that to have happened.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't get the obsession with acceleration; I've never once needed my car to accelerate fast, and it's uncomfortable for passengers when you're not driving alone. Fast acceleration is entirely superfluous, I'm not driving on a racetrack.

Anyway speaking of race tracks, I bought a cute snell SA2020 helmet and got in touch with a local racing group. Ya girl is headed to Laguna Seca :c00l: gonna show up to one of their novice days to learn the ropes.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Not 100% clear what you're asking - is it whether the car can have has any faults at all pre delivery?

I suspect that EVs are sufficiently complicated machines that a few errors while they're setting it up is not abnormal. I don't think those would appear as warranty repairs, but no real idea tbh. My car has been back to the garage for a couple of updates and I wouldn't consider it any kind of red flag for that to have happened.

Mostly whether an non-specific drivetrain fault right off the boat is something I should be very worried about, a little worried about, not worried at all about, or which I should get documentation about before deciding whether I care.

Right now I'm leaning toward not especially worried because of the manufacturer warranty, but thought I'd ask for a second opinion since I don't know what I don't know here.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NJ Deac posted:

Mostly whether an non-specific drivetrain fault right off the boat is something I should be very worried about, a little worried about, not worried at all about, or which I should get documentation about before deciding whether I care.

Right now I'm leaning toward not especially worried because of the manufacturer warranty, but thought I'd ask for a second opinion since I don't know what I don't know here.

I think it depends entirely on what that fault was. There have been some reports of Taycans giving 4WD faults which were addressed in a software update. But as the GT is so new I don't know how comparable they are, and I don't think anyone does yet.

Personally I would be very cautious, it's an expensive bit of kit. I wouldn't buy one that has a drivetrain fault until I was sure it's fixed.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's pretty common for a new car to have some sort of issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's An Audi? :shrug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Vegetable posted:

Watch my man Doug's O face here.

A sentence that will forever haunt my nightmares. Just...... NO

Speleothing posted:

TBH I would definitely be in favor of geofencing top acceleration to only be on racetracks and airstrips. Anything faster than a 4s 0-60 is unnecessary.

Of course, anything slower than a 15 second is also terribly unsafe

One day I'll complete the car project where a Forester with a 12 sec 0-100kpm time gets engine swapped to be able to do under 4. Also monkeys might fly out my rear end

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Guido Merkens posted:

2,634 mi in 2+ years? :psyduck:

Yeah I'm a loser who stays at home most of the time with 4 others who own cars, so yeah mine doesn't see much use. I really shouldn't own it but it's not like that money would be better used.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 25, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't get the obsession with acceleration; I've never once needed my car to accelerate fast, and it's uncomfortable for passengers when you're not driving alone. Fast acceleration is entirely superfluous, I'm not driving on a racetrack.

It’s useful for getting on freeways.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

It's not, in many cases being able to accelerate quickly is a safety feature. Look around where you're posting. Most people here don't want cars that are appliances and cars are allowed to be fun for no really good reason.

Also, my kid loves empty highway merges, she'll ask me to take the highway home from a park we go to even though it's longer so we can do a fun merge from 20-75. There's nothing more fun than a fast car and even my 4 year old knows it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You say it’s safety but immediately give an example of fun. Cool. To expand on my quasi pointless point. Wouldn’t the actual safety feature that leads to faster acceleration be the regenerative braking since that should also be pretty fast in terms of slowing / stopping the car (assuming you’re not driving like a madman)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 25, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You say it’s safety but immediately give an example of fun. Cool.

Well... outside of a few select highways most country roads where I live are single carriageway and overtaking a B-Double crawling along means being on the wrong side of the road. What would you rather, 15 seconds crawling past the 40 meter long truck or a five second blast that gets you out of the danger zone rapidly?

Okay yes, being able to throttle up and go is also a shitload of fun. Still, I'd rather have loads of overtaking power. It's less frustrating and more relaxing to not be forced to dwadle beind a truck or a caravan because you havent got the power to overtake.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Friction braking is the safety feature, regen is an efficiency feature. Acceleration isn't a safety feature unless it's so slow that it's a hazard in itself. But that's not really a feature in the same way that the absence of poison barbs on the steering wheel isn't a safety feature.

It's definitely nice to have when darting into gaps, doing so without good acceleration could be hazardous but then the safe way of driving is simply to wait for a bigger gap. Calling it an actual safety feature is something you do tongue-in-cheek to justify the purchase to significant others or similar.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I feel like everybody was singing a different tune about safety when it was the 4½ ton hummer EV that was going 0-60 in 4 seconds.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I believe it’s 3.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Even "appliance" EVs like the Volt/Bolt have pretty good punch overtaking at highway speeds because they don't have to worry about a downshift.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yes, even the stupid 2017 Leaf can really tear rear end compared to the 255in³ 9MPG land yacht I had in high school.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

Any ~$100k car gets a pretty extensive and model-specific PDI at the dealer that will inevitably (you hope) find and fix a series of faults. I'd also consider this to be normal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

We have working dispensers!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Having just driven for 7 hours on the 401 this weekend in Ontario I can confidently say that it would have been nice if my 4 cylinder Subaru Legacy had better acceleration so I could actually get out of slow lanes without risking my entire family.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Even "appliance" EVs like the Volt/Bolt have pretty good punch overtaking at highway speeds because they don't have to worry about a downshift.

Absolutely. Like it's fine if you find high acceleration fun, most people seem to but let's not pretend after a certain point it's still a safety feature. People don't need Tesla acceleration.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

EngineerJoe posted:

Having just driven for 7 hours on the 401 this weekend in Ontario I can confidently say that it would have been nice if my 4 cylinder Subaru Legacy had better acceleration so I could actually get out of slow lanes without risking my entire family.

In San Diego and Los Angeles I am often faced with merging into a freeway with traffic running at 75mph or higher.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Everyone who is saying that acceleration is just for fun should go take a motorcycle safety course. There are 4 directions out of any hazardous situation, and brakes only enable one of those. Especially when you’re already moving at relatively high speed, stopping to avoid a hazard may not be an option, and around/past is your best choice.

Acceleration is also very fun.

I bought an EV for the latter reason.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Everyone who is saying that acceleration is just for fun should go take a motorcycle safety course.

I believe the argument on the floor is that 0-60 in 3 seconds isn't a safety feature.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sonic Dude posted:

Everyone who is saying that acceleration is just for fun should go take a motorcycle safety course. There are 4 directions out of any hazardous situation, and brakes only enable one of those.
Exactly. There are a few clips out there of people avoiding getting rear ended while stopped due to traffic by using EV acceleration to get on the shoulder or otherwise get out of the way. I'm sure that ability is even more important to two-wheelers when some dipshit doesn't see them.

cruft posted:

I believe the argument on the floor is that 0-60 in 3 seconds isn't a safety feature.
Quick acceleration is definitely a safety feature in any situation where forward is the safest way out.

Where to draw the line between useful and just there for fun is obviously subjective, but some people here are acting like no one has ever floored the accelerator for reasons other than their own entertainment.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a dragy and it arrived yesterday might go out and do some safety related acceleration testing later today.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sonic Dude posted:

Everyone who is saying that acceleration is just for fun should go take a motorcycle safety course. There are 4 directions out of any hazardous situation, and brakes only enable one of those. Especially when you’re already moving at relatively high speed, stopping to avoid a hazard may not be an option, and around/past is your best choice.

I ride as well and the number of people who get injured because they buy a bike that’s too powerful for them is much higher than the number of people saved by buying a bike more powerful than a 300.
It’s a terrible example, like claiming that guns are for safety because they could save your life in a very rare situation.

At least with motorcycles those people are generally only maiming or killing themselves though. Anyway, acceleration is fun, and that’s why people like it, there’s no need to try and invent a more sensible reason like the need to escape an 18 wheeler with no brakes barreling down on you like your life is constantly turning into a Crash Bandicoot game.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Acceleration antidote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lE7rcN4EnE

I want one, in the most Austin Powers paint and fabric they can do.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That's a very smart looking charger right there. You should be proud!

Also the print on that truck is badass and I kind of want it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wolrah posted:

Exactly. There are a few clips out there of people avoiding getting rear ended while stopped due to traffic by using EV acceleration to get on the shoulder or otherwise get out of the way. I'm sure that ability is even more important to two-wheelers when some dipshit doesn't see them.

Quick acceleration is definitely a safety feature in any situation where forward is the safest way out.

Where to draw the line between useful and just there for fun is obviously subjective, but some people here are acting like no one has ever floored the accelerator for reasons other than their own entertainment.

Okay but the original topic in which "safety" was raised wasn't about acceleration in general, which is high across the board for EVs. It was in the context of nerds comparing 0-60 acceleration stats and being like "well this car is better because it can reach 60 mph 0.2 seconds faster than this other car" and constantly slamming hard on the accelerator regardless of whether it's safe or reasonable to do so

No one's saying that EVs need to have their acceleration decreased or whatever, someone was just making light-hearted fun out of car bros

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I was saying just that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I was saying just that.

Sorry I meant to say no one *who counts* was saying that. That opinion is dumb as hell so you don't get a vote

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 25, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

This is as dumb in this discussion as it is in a motorcycle discussion. Everyone who says "oh man my motorcycle is too slow for the highway" are just poo poo riders. If you've put yourself in a situation where the ONLY way out is quickly accelerating, you've failed already and need to figure out why you ended up there so it doesn't happen again. Generally you shouldn't be adding speed to any hazardous situation.

wolrah posted:

Most drivers aren't even aware of being in traffic much less checking their mirrors for getting rear ended. This is an extremely out there example. You could perform it in a regular car as well if that's something you're used to checking for (ie you're probably a motorcycle rider).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Is it one cable per stand?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Charles posted:

Is it one cable per stand?

It sure is! Standard CCS.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It sure is! Standard CCS.

Looks nice! No screen, just plug and play? Pretty easy. Are you gonna have dual cable models or will they all be individual? Does that mean they each get their own cabinet?

Edit: if you're allowed to tell.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

cruft posted:

I feel like everybody was singing a different tune about safety when it was the 4½ ton hummer EV that was going 0-60 in 4 seconds.

We were but to be fair a hummer has almost 2.5x the kinetic energy of an rear end in a top hat in a mustang showboating in front of his friends at the same speed and we know how dangerous that is.

The real issue with the hummer isn’t how fast it is but how much mass it’s moving at that speed. That and the fact that road wear rises exponentially with weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A pedestrian is just as dead if they get hit with a Mustang going 90 mph as a hummer.