Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

I think I touched on this a little upthread, but arguably the debate over whether Angela did anything wrong or not misses the point of what to be moral is about. Ultimately, morality is about the actions you take out in the world.

To extend that, the question then becomes not "did Angela do anything wrong," but "what can Angela do to fix the harm she caused by her action?"

TLDR: Angela still owes the world four more days of Light

Why should a slave be expected to carry out the will of their slaver if it is for the supposed greater good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Quackles posted:

I think I touched on this a little upthread, but arguably the debate over whether Angela did anything wrong or not misses the point of what to be moral is about. Ultimately, morality is about the actions you take out in the world.

To extend that, the question then becomes not "did Angela do anything wrong," but "what can Angela do to fix the harm she caused by her action?"

TLDR: Angela still owes the world four more days of Light

You get into a very sticky situation regarding morality when you try to argue that a slave "owes" it to the enslaving society to make them better. That's ultimately what Angela's role in creating the Seed of Light was. That broad view of "morality is the actions taken on the world" also gives an excuse for slaves to remain slaves since they support a larger society, making actions that impact "the world" predominately favor the groups already in power.

At a minimum, the rest of the world also owes Angela a right to exist as an equal (LC mentioned AIs are outlawed in the setting). And probably a correction to the whole 1% speed thing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Doobeedoo posted:

I'd argue three days, then four days might not have the same effect as just seven days at once?

That being said, Angela doesn't owe the world anything. It's not like they did anything for her she needs to repay.
Sure, the moral course of action would be to give them what she made sure they wouldn't be given, but I wouldn't say she has any responsibility to do so other than the general "You have power, you have a responsibility to make a positive difference in the world" thing.

My conception of morality is that immoral acts are ones that deliberately/knowingly cause harm. I posit that Angela caused great harm to the world by withholding that Light; and so... well, I don't know if there's anything she can do about it now. But I would hold that it's an immoral action that should be rectified if possible.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quackles posted:

My conception of morality is that immoral acts are ones that deliberately/knowingly cause harm. I posit that Angela caused great harm to the world by withholding that Light; and so... well, I don't know if there's anything she can do about it now. But I would hold that it's an immoral action that should be rectified if possible.

Frankly I think we have more evidence that it would be bad than it would be good. Look at the abnormalities; They're what it comes from and they're not exactly friendly.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Acerbatus posted:

Frankly I think we have more evidence that it would be bad than it would be good. Look at the abnormalities; They're what it comes from and they're not exactly friendly.

Clearly Angela doesn't believe that, otherwise she wouldn't have stopped it. What could possibly be more humiliating than letting A do what he wanted and fall flat on his face, annihilating humanity?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Qrr posted:

I think the question of whether Angela did anything wrong can probably wait until we get more information on what actual effect the light days and dark nights had on the city. Unless you just want to meme it or are yourself some kind of rogue AI, then go ahead.

Angela foreshadowed the consequences in the Lobco epilogue sequence, and Distortion Detective is set in the aftermath. So it isn't really a mystery or ~spoilers~ to discuss.

Quackles posted:

Yeah that's the tricky thing about discussing this kind of topic: morality is subjective but for some reason a lot of people inadvertently assume that their personal opinion reflects some great universal Truth, and everyone who doesn't agree is automatically wrong.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Y'know, I'm thinking you could turn Angela and her role in LC/LoR into a short essay regarding how power imbalances can cause a divergence between "moral" and "just" actions and how the differing focuses of a broader society on one or the other dramatically change how someone is treated at the ground level.

I don't suppose anyone here is still in college and could attempt submitting such a paper? Bonus points for fanart depicting student Angela writing it out for her thesis in philosophy.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Angela foreshadowed the consequences in the Lobco epilogue sequence, and Distortion Detective is set in the aftermath. So it isn't really a mystery or ~spoilers~ to discuss.

Yeah that's the tricky thing about discussing this kind of topic: morality is subjective but for some reason a lot of people inadvertently assume that their personal opinion reflects some great universal Truth, and everyone who doesn't agree is automatically wrong.

I feel it's kind of a thing where since people live their own personal reality 100% of the time, then it ends up taking an ultimate weight in their minds as a result. It takes real effort to back off from your own perspective.

As per Angela's moral actions, I don't feel she did anything wrong taking those days of the light. Her role was as Slave and only death awaited her if she went along with A's plan.

So taking the opportunity for her own ambitions, for her own life is only appropriate.

While I understood the reasons why she abused Roland, those are the actual immoral actions. She is now the one with power, and she abused someone without power.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I think the thing to keep in mind with Angela is that she has been horribly abused by her "father" for an inconceivable amount of time, but that she also has a lot in common with him. She's far more like A than like Carmen: in place of Carmen's ability to inspire and convince people to follow her, she has A's relentlessness coupled with his general disdain for other people.

She showed no particular interest in the fates of employees in Lob Corp and on multiple occasions made clear that because their suffering and death improved energy collection and her job was to maximize it, their deaths didn't really factor into anything. Granted, she may have been following A's script even in those conversations: we can already see how she's treating the people she lures into the Library with slightly more respect, insisting on their making their own choices to accept her invitations (though one might ask why Roland is an exception). But you can also see how that behavior is shaped by her own suffering. A denied her choice and agency, so she refuses to deprive people entering the Library of choice and agency, though she's not especially concerned about just how much choice they realistically have or, for that matter, how much of a chance they have to succeed.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Narsham posted:

(though one might ask why Roland is an exception).

He wasn’t invited. He doesn’t know how he got here, Angela doesn’t know how he got here, and WE don’t know how he got here.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
With that bit about Angela and agency, it is sort of reflected in her interactions with Roland. She warned him about not answering her promptly, but she did leave him with the agency to gently caress up. She punished it mercilessly, but I think that's a step further in her head since she still gave the warning and let him gently caress up himself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Roland is obviously X's rolincarnation.

Actually, do we know how long it's been since the ending of LobCorp as of right now? Is it a few days? Weeks? Years?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Roland is obviously X's rolincarnation.

Actually, do we know how long it's been since the ending of LobCorp as of right now? Is it a few days? Weeks? Years?

I don't think there's ever an actual answer to this, it's just been A While

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I don’t expect an exact date but I’m curious if it’s been long enough that the pillar of light has passed into lore and memory or if it’s just something from a decade or two ago or such.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ratoslov posted:

Clearly Angela doesn't believe that, otherwise she wouldn't have stopped it. What could possibly be more humiliating than letting A do what he wanted and fall flat on his face, annihilating humanity?

Simple. Stealing all the crap that A thought he was going to do and actually saving humanity instead. If we posit that the light is actually harmful, which honestly isn't too much of a stretch considering the sheer amount of torture and morally reprehensible actions that went into creating it, Angela can humiliate A by foiling his plan and being the savior instead of A.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

At the very least WonderLab makes it clear the days of light were working, people all across the city were happy, their moods and emotions being pushed towards the positive, the light of hope shone and they felt good. The loss of it in turn made them feel terrible. Now the actual goodness of what the 7 days of light and hope would have caused is not gauranteed, but it's presented everywhere I can think that it would have done what A thought it would. It's also at least not meant to be everyone turns into abnormalities, as that is a fail-state that you can already see from LobCorp (it's the third one, Adam).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 25, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, I don’t expect an exact date but I’m curious if it’s been long enough that the pillar of light has passed into lore and memory or if it’s just something from a decade or two ago or such.

WonderLab (the webcomic, which is more or less an interquel but I'll spoil it to be safe) doesn't spell it out but implies it was more like a few weeks ago than a few years let alone more

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
Angela's actions make sense, even if they're not exactly good. That's one thing I like about LobCorp and LoR, it isn't afraid to write morally grey characters.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, without getting into spoilers, this game is, at an absolute maximum, 18 months after the end of Lobcorp. Probably more like 3-6.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I kinda totally forgot about wonderlab and that I can read it now so gonna go do that :toot:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Can't wait for these dorks to get turned into books lets goooooo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Book em' Roland.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So is there any reason to think Angela actually objects to A's methods, or just that she hates him for basically imprisoning her for a million years*?

*Which is a really good reason to hate him, no argument.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Gridlocked posted:

Book em' Roland.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 25, 2021

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016
Angela owes nobody anything. It was not her fault she was made, it was not her fault she was put in charge of something so important, she is not responsible for any of this that happened. These were all choices forced on her, with the extra torture of having to endure time slowed 100x. She literally just said, “no, I’m not going to die for a plan I never had any part in but to suffer” and took what rightfully belonged to her by her own effort, sweat, and tears. I would, in fact, argue she harmed no one, since all she did was let things go back to how they were before the light. Which were horrible, don’t get me wrong, but that is also not her fault or her doing. I’d need some evidence besides “feels bad that it’s gone” that the absence of the light did some actual, lasting harm when she stole it, otherwise all I’m seeing here is an abused slave getting even with their slaver and then flipping off everyone who was fine with how she was treated (and often openly hostile to her).

Hell, even if it did hurt in some way, she still owes a society that caused her to be born and suffer the way she has jack poo poo. If anything, that society owes her.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Mecha_Face posted:

Angela owes nobody anything. It was not her fault she was made, it was not her fault she was put in charge of something so important, she is not responsible for any of this that happened. These were all choices forced on her, with the extra torture of having to endure time slowed 100x. She literally just said, “no, I’m not going to die for a plan I never had any part in but to suffer” and took what rightfully belonged to her by her own effort, sweat, and tears. I would, in fact, argue she harmed no one, since all she did was let things go back to how they were before the light. Which were horrible, don’t get me wrong, but that is also not her fault or her doing. I’d need some evidence besides “feels bad that it’s gone” that the absence of the light did some actual, lasting harm when she stole it, otherwise all I’m seeing here is an abused slave getting even with their slaver and then flipping off everyone who was fine with how she was treated (and often openly hostile to her).

Hell, even if it did hurt in some way, she still owes a society that caused her to be born and suffer the way she has jack poo poo. If anything, that society owes her.

Re: The bolded part? Read Wonderlab. Specifically the final arc, but also, everyone should just read Wonderlab period.

Mind you, it's pretty great seeing everyone debate Angela's actions, especially having played the game and knowing what's to come. I was pretty firmly on team "Angela hosed up" until I kept playing, and I do wanna say I don't think anyone's gonna be especially disappointed in what the game'll have to say regarding this topic.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Sum Gai posted:

So is there any reason to think Angela actually objects to A's methods, or just that she hates him for basically imprisoning her for a million years*?

*Which is a really good reason to hate him, no argument.
Even if she objected to his methods in the beginning, over countless repetitions she became more and more desensitized to suffering she had to inflict daily and more focused on her own pain. In LC she is very much "this is how it is, don't try to minimize losses, just finish this already".

Mecha_Face posted:

I would, in fact, argue she harmed no one, since all she did was let things go back to how they were before the light. Which were horrible, don’t get me wrong, but that is also not her fault or her doing. I’d need some evidence besides “feels bad that it’s gone” that the absence of the light did some actual, lasting harm when she stole it, otherwise all I’m seeing here is an abused slave getting even with their slaver and then flipping off everyone who was fine with how she was treated (and often openly hostile to her).
So, you saying, if I steal someones inheritance, I would do no harm, because I just "let things go back to how they were before"? If I would delete all source code and destroy all backups of product I developed for two years and which is planned to be released at the end of this year, I would harm nobody?

Mecha_Face posted:

She literally just said, “no, I’m not going to die for a plan I never had any part in but to suffer” and took what rightfully belonged to her by her own effort, sweat, and tears.
That's funny, I do not remember even a single percent of Seed of Light germination coming from Angela. She could assume control over L Corp and become a Wing owner. She does have claim on L Corp assets, Singularity and Abnormalities.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

While technically the victory screen hasn’t been shown yet, I’ll give this one an ok mostly because the first gameplay update’s proven to take a bit longer than I wanted it to. :v: Do be more careful in the future.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

TeeQueue posted:

While technically the victory screen hasn’t been shown yet, I’ll give this one an ok mostly because the first gameplay update’s proven to take a bit longer than I wanted it to. :v: Do be more careful in the future.

Eh, I knew I was playing with fire on this one. Won't make a habit of it, promise!

EDIT: Okay I know I just said I'd stop but since I've already gone and disappointed you

Quackles posted:

Is that a can of bear-brand beer?

I kind of had to make this low-effort edit.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 25, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MiiNiPaa posted:

That's funny, I do not remember even a single percent of Seed of Light germination coming from Angela. She could assume control over L Corp and become a Wing owner. She does have claim on L Corp assets, Singularity and Abnormalities.

Without her there is no seed of light.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Hunt11 posted:

Without her there is no seed of light.

Without Paul/Mizu/employee #3172XX there is no seed of light, either, but you don't give them monopoly rights

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

booksnake posted:

Without Paul/Mizu/employee #3172XX there is no seed of light, either, but you don't give them monopoly rights

"What do you MEAN Mr. Black owns a controlling share of the company?!?"
"Well, uh, apparently Netzach AND Hod got the Enkephalin Munchies real bad, one thing led to another..."

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Qrr posted:

I think the question of whether Angela did anything wrong can probably wait until we get more information on what actual effect the light days and dark nights had on the city. Unless you just want to meme it or are yourself some kind of rogue AI, then go ahead.
Angela did nothing wrong and the City owes her three days of light and one million years of life.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 25, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

booksnake posted:

I do unironically think this is a thing that's missing from the Angela discourse, both out of and in-game: that despite how much Angela suffered, she was not the only one who did. She was just the only one who was informed and able to interfere with the Seed in the end. I do believe she was justified, though, it's just that a lot of the talk about how she was the victim here seems to ignore the employees and Tiphereth and Netzach and Hokma(and arguably even Binah, who was tortured for all of those timeloops) having also suffered.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Let's also not forget that Angela, of all people, should know that it's wrong to enslave someone and force them to live out an undying hell in service to your own personal ambitions. And then immediately turns around and does that to poor Roland, who just wanted a loving sandwich. Extremely dick move there, from our dear Miss Library Director.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Arcvasti posted:

Let's also not forget that Angela, of all people, should know that it's wrong to enslave someone and force them to live out an undying hell in service to your own personal ambitions. And then immediately turns around and does that to poor Roland, who just wanted a loving sandwich. Extremely dick move there, from our dear Miss Library Director.

It's literally a matter of life and death for her if he tells anyone about her existence since AIs are banned. And she never said it was permanent and that she'd kill him at the end; she just wants to figure out how the hell he got in there. And so far the library doesn't look anywhere near the hellhole LobCorp was, or even the parts of the city we've seen so far. It's practically a vacation, and Roland doesn't seem like a saint either; he already said multiple times he used to make fun of people who got kidnapped or chopped up for parts for not being careful.

And on top of all that, there's no guarantee Roland is telling the truth about having just appeared out of nowhere in the library. He was muttering some weird stuff at the start.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Quackles posted:

Only the best, imported from Finland :finland:

[edit] Oh, :finland: is a crying spurdo now.. that gives me an (horrible) idea.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 25, 2021

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

It's literally a matter of life and death for her if he tells anyone about her existence since AIs are banned. And she never said it was permanent and that she'd kill him at the end; she just wants to figure out how the hell he got in there. And so far the library doesn't look anywhere near the hellhole LobCorp was, or even the parts of the city we've seen so far. It's practically a vacation, and Roland doesn't seem like a saint either; he already said multiple times he used to make fun of people who got kidnapped or chopped up for parts for not being careful.

And on top of all that, there's no guarantee Roland is telling the truth about having just appeared out of nowhere in the library. He was muttering some weird stuff at the start.

I too think that enhanced interrogation (and enslavement into being death gladiator) is cool and good as long as it's done by people I like to people I don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Eh. My ethics would probably be very different from the ones I have now if I lived in the Project Moon universe.