Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres been at least one instance of PETA straight up stealing a dog from the owner's porch, and rushing to euthanize it before the owner could get the police involved. You do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Answering for PETA's crimes is exactly why I don't talk about veganism irl. It plays out like this thread every time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm not a PETA fan or anything but this seems suspect. I know they do euthanize but I believe there are legitimate reasons to do so.

PETA members are mental deficients, OP. They're more of an anti-human campaign than a pro-animal one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DickParasite posted:

Answering for PETA's crimes is exactly why I don't talk about veganism irl. It plays out like this thread every time.

sorry, I wasn't trying to imply a link between the two. vegans are generally cool with me nowadays

its those drat pescatarians that drive me up the wall

E: \/\/\/\/ If I wasn't clear, yeah, there is a correlation, but most vegans arent PETA types

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 23, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I agree with the in-thread vegan, though - don't conflate vegans and PETA, there are enough non-PETA vegans around.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Has anyone brought up this guy yet?(NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tt303beZ2o

Not so much something to mock but a sad example of untreated mental illness that probably lead to his death if it's not a hoax.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Mm yeah seems like a legit source. Bet they don't have any ulterior motives or affiliations.

And before someone says anything, no I'm not vegan and I am not a peta member

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

PETA Kills Animas is a front group operated by Berman & Co. Berman & Co. operates a network of dozens of front groups, attack-dog web sites, and alleged think tanks that work to counteract minimum wage campaigns, keep wages low for restaurant workers, and block legislation on food safety, secondhand cigarette smoke, drunk driving, and more.

PETA Kills Animals describes itself as "a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the full range of choices that American consumers currently enjoy" according to its website.[1] In reality, CCF is another Berman front group that runs media campaigns opposing the efforts of scientists, doctors, health advocates, animal advocates, environmentalists and other groups for restaurant, alcohol, tobacco and other industries.

In reality PETA euthanizes animals that are outsourced from so called "no-kill" shelters because it can be extremely cruel to keep animals alive in some situations. Not that I agree with them on most things but let's at least be honest about them.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 24, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Horrific conditions for both animals and workers in the meat production industry, exploitation of undocumented immigrants, widespread environmental destruction, systemic corruption to shield the industry from scrutiny…

"BuT wHat AbOuT PeTA?!?!?!"

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Antigravitas posted:

Horrific conditions for both animals and workers in the meat production industry, exploitation of undocumented immigrants, widespread environmental destruction, systemic corruption to shield the industry from scrutiny…

PM_ME_UR_ANUS posted:

This is the way.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're on the same team!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've met some animals irl and tbh they had it coming

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

I've met some animals irl and tbh they had it coming

Especially bastards that wake me up with purrs and cuddles in the morning, what shits.

I've thought of going at least vegetarian (I can get local eggs from chickens that are well kept and loved, at least), do we have a thread with resources on how not to kill yourself? I don't know how to properly cut a major source of protein beyond the common sense of beans and nuts.

necroid
May 14, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

Especially bastards that wake me up with purrs and cuddles in the morning, what shits.

I've thought of going at least vegetarian (I can get local eggs from chickens that are well kept and loved, at least), do we have a thread with resources on how not to kill yourself? I don't know how to properly cut a major source of protein beyond the common sense of beans and nuts.

it's way easier than many people think, it's a common misconception. you're replacing your protein sources, not cutting them. personally I eat a lot of chickpeas, lentils, beans, soy etc.

and I'm saying this as an rear end in a top hat who ages ago used to think that every meal needed animals in it, I've eaten meat all my life before this decision and I still know how good it can taste, I simply switched for ethical and environmental reasons

here are some resources but it's not rocket science really, just cook some rice and assorted vegetables however you want them. new stuff like beyond meat and similar is great to ease you into it and also if you're really missing the feel of a fat juicy burger every now and then

https://chooseveg.com/switch/

https://mercyforanimals.org/the-problem/

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm about 90% vegetarian at this point, and aside from echoing what was said above about it being easier than you might think it will be, in my experience going vegetarian also broadened my palate and helped me learn to cook much, much better.

Anyway complaining about PETA at this point feels like complaining about Richard Dawkins. They might be annoying and loud but they're easy to ignore and their main institutional targets are much more harmful. Getting riled up about them feels a little misplaced now.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

in my experience going vegetarian also broadened my palate and helped me learn to cook much, much better.

absolutely, unless you want to eat the same exact poo poo everyday it kinda forces you to expand your cooking repertoire.

even if you don't really enjoy cooking (and you will learn how to anyway) stuff like peeling and chopping up vegetables becomes a quick, mindless task pretty fast.

a good wok is your friend and if you also have an oven it'll open up many more possibilities. I really enjoy cooking veggie pies because you just stir-fry every vegetable you can think of, shove it into some dough and then throw it in the oven for a while.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

necroid posted:

absolutely, unless you want to eat the same exact poo poo everyday it kinda forces you to expand your cooking repertoire.

even if you don't really enjoy cooking (and you will learn how to anyway) stuff like peeling and chopping up vegetables becomes a quick, mindless task pretty fast.

a good wok is your friend and if you also have an oven it'll open up many more possibilities. I really enjoy cooking veggie pies because you just stir-fry every vegetable you can think of, shove it into some dough and then throw it in the oven for a while.

excuse me sir this is the reddit thread and one of my hobbies is bacon

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bacon/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

DicktheCat posted:

Protein is a red herring, you'll get what you need with any varied diet without a problem. Something like B12 is more problematic, but it's also easy to get enough by eating some fish once in a while.

Many cultures throughout history have developed a rich cuisine that uses animal products sparingly. Just plunder their treasure trove of recipes without mercy. Hummus, curry, falafel…

And to try to be somewhat on topic, of course r/hummus exists:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Vegetarian since 2000 and more or less vegan for a couple years now. I've not died and other than podge obtained over lockdown I've been in good shape.

Get a good veggie cook book and enjoy expanding your cooking. It's easy as pie kicking meat these days, you got fake meats, plant based cheeses and egg alternatives and things loaded with all the proteins you need.

Get some complete vegetarian/vegan multivitamins with B12, iron, etc.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dick Dorkins is pretty damaging tbh

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hawowanlawow posted:

goons are too old to have friends who tell them about stuff, thank god

I am very offended by your assumptions here!

What is a “friend,” anyway? Sounds racist.

Edit: I do want to be clear here, I find zero things “wrong” or “stupid” about vegan folk’s choices. It’s not my place to police what other people (rich first worlder or poor third worlder) eat, as long as they have food available in the first place (famine has been unacceptable for every single person/society in the world; we even fed our mortal enemies and communists during the Cold War).
But whoever brought up CrossFit was dead-on track. They will take it on as an identity and they will turn every conversation into evangelical opportunities and simple smugness. It’s the smugness and implied moral superiority (not nearly as common with the v-crowd today) that loses friends.
Hang on, gotta post this in r/Bacon for karma…

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 24, 2021

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

DerekSmartymans posted:

How can you tell a person is a vegan within the first two minutes of meeting them?
Because they will tell you. Repeatedly.
:allears:

A lot of people proving your point here.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Antigravitas posted:

to be fair, I volunteer at an animal rescue, and one of my rabbits was literally rescued from a meat production operation, so

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antigravitas posted:

…but it's also easy to get enough by eating some fish once in a while.

Not quite sure that’s taking on the spirit of becoming vegetarian.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I found r/ivermectin, the subreddit to talk about eating horse dewormer instead of getting the covid vaccine. Here's someone who suffered from symptoms of stress, aging, and the standard American diet. He solved all his problems by making GBS threads out strands of his intestinal lining. Some major subreddits are apparently planning a protest tomorrow against this and r/nonewnormal being allowed to spread disinformation on Reddit.

quote:

Recently I decided to get the horse paste, and use it prophylactically, one dose every two weeks for basic protection. I’m an emergency services worker and have to go to work no matter what’s going on in the world. I calculated the correct dosage then cut it in half just to be on the safe side. The main problem with ivermectin is that it causes stomach aches at least from everyone I’ve talked to who has used it. It must be taken on a full stomach… Think in terms of burger, fries and a shake. A little extra oil is good, it carries the ivermectin well. Next time I do it I will add a tablespoon of olive oil to whatever fatty meal I’m eating before taking it.

So on with my story which takes a bit of a weird turn here. I’m glad I only took half a dose. I have gluten problems and inflammatory bowel disease so everything bothers my stomach, and ivermectin was no exception. It was a horrible experience I was in so much pain and couldn’t do anything for three days. My bowels stopped moving entirely so I resorted to laxatives and enemas. I changed my diet to applesauce and soup. This is not unusual for me to do this when the going gets tough.

What was unusual is what I found in the toilet afterwards. It looked like a pile of noodles. It took me a minute to realize they were parasites. Not saying I freaked out, but yeah maybe a little bit. All of the bellyaches, abdominal pain, fatigue, lethargy, blaming myself for being lazy and not getting anything done. Tired all the time, unable to sleep, hard time keeping focused. Taking all the supplements and still coming up short. No energy, thinning hair…All of that and so much more, feeling like a failure in life. All classic symptoms of parasitic infection.

There’s a lot of mixed numbers and statistics on parasitic infections in humans. But in America it’s estimated around 35% conservatively, and 80% worldwide.

I could’ve suffered for the rest of my life if not for ivermectin. You would think that with such a high rate of parasitic infections everywhere, this would be a standard annual protocol in healthcare. How many problems and conditions could be eliminated with just a couple tablets of ivermectin?

So yes, make fun of me because of my horse paste. But I’m finally healing after years of misery. I slept like a rock last night. My body feels relaxed. I’m eating less, but I have more energy. Still working on healing the belly pain. With so many teeth chewing on my intestines it’s going to take a while. The average healing time from parasites is 6 months. Meanwhile, for those of you still sitting on the fence. Nothing wrong with a couple doses of ivermectin — if not for Covid… for one of the most common diseases on the planet, parasites

Wishing all of you the best on your journey to good health. V💗

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems a sane alternative to taking a 2 second shot that a billion people have taken, almost all without any real issue.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

I found r/ivermectin, the subreddit to talk about eating horse dewormer instead of getting the covid vaccine. Here's someone who suffered from symptoms of stress, aging, and the standard American diet. He solved all his problems by making GBS threads out strands of his intestinal lining.

From memory is pretty common with the bleach enema / bleach drinker crowd too, complete with thinking they've now purged their body of worms.

DicktheCat posted:

do we have a thread with resources on how not to kill yourself?

Not on this site, buddy.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

:barf:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There was a case of a church of drunk bleach couple who kept dosing their autistic kid with bleach and insisted that the intestinal lining was worms and proof they needed to dose him more

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
more like iverblechtin

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not quite sure that’s taking on the spirit of becoming vegetarian.

My post was meant in the spirit of reducing your footprint. B12 is legitimately hard to acquire without supplements but luckily you don't need a lot of it. If everyone chilled out a bit and reduced their meat consumption to eating some fish once in a while we would all be better off.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Chamale posted:

I found r/ivermectin, the subreddit to talk about eating horse dewormer instead of getting the covid vaccine. Here's someone who suffered from symptoms of stress, aging, and the standard American diet. He solved all his problems by making GBS threads out strands of his intestinal lining. Some major subreddits are apparently planning a protest tomorrow against this and r/nonewnormal being allowed to spread disinformation on Reddit.

I swear redditors are hands down the dumbest motherfuckers

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Yaldabaoth posted:

Has anyone brought up this guy yet?(NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tt303beZ2o

Not so much something to mock but a sad example of untreated mental illness that probably lead to his death if it's not a hoax.

This popped up on my YouTube recommendations and I didn't make it like 2 minutes in... not because it's gross, but because it's so cringey and unbelievable. It absolutely reads like a 14 year old who's trying to be gross, complete with shooting himself in the dick like 3 times.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
^^Yeah you're right, it's too over the top to be real^^

Theophany posted:

I swear redditors are hands down the dumbest motherfuckers

A lot of the poo poo like this on Reddit is started by russian trolls employed by Putin to make the rest of the world kill itself.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yaldabaoth posted:

A lot of the poo poo like this on Reddit is started by russian trolls employed by Putin to make the rest of the world kill itself.

It's not just Russia. A lot of the media is now pushing the idea that "we can't defeat covid, let's learn to live with it" because a) that'll permanently isolate China, since they have in fact defeated covid, and b) work-from-home and the eviction moratorium are hurting the profits of landlord corporations, so they want it to end. It ties in to the idea that you can't trust anything the government says about covid, but you should trust the internet telling you to not wear a mask and eat horse dewormer.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Chamale posted:

It's not just Russia. A lot of the media is now pushing the idea that "we can't defeat covid, let's learn to live with it" because a) that'll permanently isolate China, since they have in fact defeated covid, and b) work-from-home and the eviction moratorium are hurting the profits of landlord corporations, so they want it to end. It ties in to the idea that you can't trust anything the government says about covid, but you should trust the internet telling you to not wear a mask and eat horse dewormer.

China "defeated COVID" by locking down entire cities, not letting anyone do anything and implementing a regimen that's entirely impossible to replicate anywhere else outside of North Korea

So yes in a technical sense they did defeat COVID for now but it'll be back. It'll never be permanently over. It'll come back. New variants will emerge. We do have to figure out how to live with it, and that includes vaccines, masking and social distancing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Yaldabaoth posted:

^^Yeah you're right, it's too over the top to be real^^

I'd be open to that idea if the mainstream media weren't also pushing equally moronic and purposefully distractive narratives. The fact that you can have an entire TV station like GB News or that somebody like Tucker Carlson is still given a shred of credibility by anybody is testament to that.

Like I get that there is a campaign of cyber warfare that is far more insidious than most online people realise as they're earnestly believing the absurd things they read on their Facebook feed, but that level of aggressively stupid dumbfuckery ain't it chief.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

low key sex master posted:

China "defeated COVID" by locking down entire cities, not letting anyone do anything and implementing a regimen that's entirely impossible to replicate anywhere else outside of North Korea

So yes in a technical sense they did defeat COVID for now but it'll be back. It'll never be permanently over. It'll come back. New variants will emerge. We do have to figure out how to live with it, and that includes vaccines, masking and social distancing.

Atlantic Canada, New Zealand, and Australia except NSW defeated covid in the same way. It's so contagious that it's not possible to coexist with the virus without making society permanently unlike the way it was in 2019. This exact debate keeps playing out all over the world, and the "eradicate covid" countries keep winning while the "learn to live with it" countries keep having mass death that leads to de jure or de facto lockdowns.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah sucks either way but I'd rather have locdowns and no mass death instead of mass death and loxkdowns anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??