Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Work has finally cleared up a bit so I have time to do some painting, which means it's Bone Bois Begin AKA It's Grime Time

Yo check out the 'tude on this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Work has finally cleared up a bit so I have time to do some painting, which means it's Bone Bois Begin AKA It's Grime Time

Not usually a huge fan of these guys' aesthetic, but I really like the combo of bloodsplatter and verdigris metal. Gives him a real copper/bronze age menace.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

looks great, but if you'll allow me a small criticism, I think it would stand out more if the color of the base wasn't that close to the bone

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Oh yeah, I totally agree. Unfortunately by the time I realized that, I liked how the base turned out too much to repaint it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My Cursed City painting continues, super happy with Radkar even if my photography still sucks.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
He looks great! I’ve just started painting my Cursed City stuff, and I’m keen to do a real good job on Radukar too

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I need to work on Cursed City more. I assembled them all and painted a couple, then I look into the box of what's left and go "Hey, I should get into Frost/Stargrave or paint more D&D minis..."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Got another game in, swapped out 2 guardians for aspects, managed a win. Was up vs orks, they did a lot of damage, wiping the guardians in an assault, but the aspect warriors had three successful assaults. At the end of turn 3 all I had left was 3 dire avengers, so they took some serious hits, but they punched way above their weight. I'm really liking the wraithgate for minigeddon. The smaller map really adds utility to it.

Right on! I'm glad you're enjoying eldar. Yeah, the wraithgate is a great way to slam a reserved formation out into the fray where its needed without your opponent being able to necessarily account for it on turn one.

Have you tried hoverbikes at all? I used to use them to good effect in setting up crossfires cheaply.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Right on! I'm glad you're enjoying eldar. Yeah, the wraithgate is a great way to slam a reserved formation out into the fray where its needed without your opponent being able to necessarily account for it on turn one.

Have you tried hoverbikes at all? I used to use them to good effect in setting up crossfires cheaply.

Not yet, I have some jet-bikes and vypers, but haven't assembled them yet. I will soon.

Definitely really enjoying the Eldar, can't beat hit and run.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm knights finally based and finished

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Let me be the first to say DAAAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN! Those are some sweet Brets, Nebalebadingdong. Awesome job!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm knights finally based and finished

How hard was it painting the tiny ponies and their riders? That's really good work for figures that small.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Randalor posted:

How hard was it painting the tiny ponies and their riders? That's really good work for figures that small.

some people think im crazy but its easier to paint smaller figures (once you get used to it). small figs are also great for learning new techniques like NMM!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Painting tiny things is a delight, and resin prints have turned 10 mm from a game of trying to guess which lumpy bit is the sword to getting some legit awesome models.

I think those are forest dragon's knights but that's the one faction of theirs I haven't painted so I could be wrong. Anyone interested in trying it out should check them out. They're even cheaper than metal too when you buy prints off ebay which is nuts given the quality improvement.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah they're forest dragon's, who also do sick wood elf, high elf and vampire count minis. There's another called greenskin miniatures who's just done gobbos and is starting on orcs. I think a place called chromarty forge has dwarves and some tomb kings? There's another one just released some base dark elves and another doing nurgle/chaos in general.

It's a great time for tiny dudes.

E: there are skaven floating about too but can't remember who by

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Eediot Jedi posted:

E: there are skaven floating about too but can't remember who by

there's two finished skaven armies:

Ankylo: https://ankylo.gumroad.com/?sort=newest
Cromary Forge: https://www.centimetrewarriors.com/3dprintedratmen

i have painted some of the ankylo ones

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I kind of want a resin printer just for making very tiny spacemans

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

When minis are pennies of resin and not precious garage casts, you can really go hog wild with stuff like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4439394

Some day I will probably make a Tyranid army just because the full swarm would be so incredibly cool.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nebalebadingdong posted:

there's two finished skaven armies:

Ankylo: https://ankylo.gumroad.com/?sort=newest
Cromary Forge: https://www.centimetrewarriors.com/3dprintedratmen

i have painted some of the ankylo ones

3 !

https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/ravenous-hordes-385

This only just came up from Kickstarter, but they're very nice 28mm Skavenalikes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/resinwarfare/resinwarfare-the-ravenous-hordes-ratmen-exclusive-models

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I used to be fine not having one, but now I got an STL of Brent from Goobertown rowing in a canoe with his cats and I'm doing research now...

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

I used to be fine not having one, but now I got an STL of Brent from Goobertown rowing in a canoe with his cats and I'm doing research now...

The Elegoo Mars 2 Pro is easy to set up, reliable and relatively inexpensive.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Counterpoint: Dealing with resin printing loving sucks.

Failed prints are more common than you expect
The standard resin is incredibly smelly/irritating, and a giant PITA to clean up
Most models require you to add your own supports or hope autosupports work
The slicer software is janky

After my third day of trying to sort out why the stupid test Rook wouldn’t print on my Mars 2 Pro, I sent the whole lot back.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I kinda agree with Crackbone. You shouldn't go into resin printing unless you've done your research and are sure. The learning curve is very steep, a lot of getting a good print is more art than science, and the resin is more toxic than a room full of grogs.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Crackbone posted:

Counterpoint: Dealing with resin printing loving sucks.

I think that people oversell just how easily You Too Can Be 3D Printing In Minutes. There are so many variables that could be loving you up, it is its own complete hobby just like painting is its own hobby compared to building models. They're a loving nuts tool though. The real trick to 3d printing is to convince your mate to get one and throw them some bones for it.

Killteam chat:
After watching of various battles, I don't feel so bad on the compendium any more. It looks pretty legit that you can buy a single box for a faction and have a viable, fun, team to play. I foresee a lot of random boxes in my future, which was probably GW's intention. I already have the rules so...

Still wish there were team pdfs or a barebones book then a nice, arty one, but ah well.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I strongly disagree. I’ve been resin printing for a relatively short time and I’m shocked at how easy it is. Yes, I occasionally get print fails, but almost always I can identify what I did wrong. I use proper PPE at all times. My prints look sharp and the Lychee slicing software is a dream. I would strongly recommend this for anyone who wants to make terrain or accessories, or even entire models. FDM printing, on the other hand, can completely eat my rear end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have a single Legion of the Damned Tactical Squad. What would the Killteam list for them look like?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have a single Legion of the Damned Tactical Squad. What would the Killteam list for them look like?

Six tac squad dudes!

Alternatively, 5 counts-as-Deathwatch Vets

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Six tac squad dudes!

Alternatively, 5 counts-as-Deathwatch Vets

Do I uh have any weapons or equipment options? Flamer? Heavy bolter? Grenades?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
What is a good strategy for skaven players to take on Snotlings?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What is a good strategy for skaven players to take on Snotlings?

You're pretty boned. Snotlings are breaking stuff currently because they can pick from and afford a wide range of extremely tough and capable star players, and can field an outrageous number of snotlings on the field at the same time.

Skaven chaff players are fragile and not agile enough to dodge away, so you'll likely find them getting based by trolls and gradually pulverised while Morg and/or some other heavy hitter makes blitzes against your other more important poo poo. Snotlings can foul stuff that goes down with relative impunity.

As always your gutter runners are the key players, and they might be able to dance through the snotling deep defence to score, but once you give the initiative back to the other team they'll just cage up and go to town bashing you.

If you want to try to beat them at this game, you can try to aggressively trim all the excess Team Value from your roster, and leave them without as much of an inducements budget... but honestly this is unwise as you'll have screwed your team up in the long term.

Snotlings are absolutely ruining our club's tabletop league right now and everyone is incredibly salty. As someone who's not playing I can laugh :allears:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I kinda agree with Crackbone. You shouldn't go into resin printing unless you've done your research and are sure. The learning curve is very steep, a lot of getting a good print is more art than science, and the resin is more toxic than a room full of grogs.

It's also not the best side-hobby if you have kids unless you have the luxury of a garage.

The resin is not really that toxic per se but you can definitely get sensitised to it (even the eco-friendly/water washable ones) which will end your 3D printing career right there.

If you get it bad enough you might never be able to handle resin again.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do I uh have any weapons or equipment options? Flamer? Heavy bolter? Grenades?

You can pretty much watch a video review of the compendium book, a lot of them show the pages, pause and read it.
Marines in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MsaxZFvR0&t=347s

The game did take a big poo poo on custom fire teams, but they should be more balanced against each other.

Tac marines. 6 dudes.
1 sgt with bolter, or a combi-bolter. Or he can have a pancy pants pistol plus a fancy pants melee weapon.

1 marine with a flamer, gravgun, meltagun or plasma gun.

1 marine with a heavy bolter or missile launcher.

3 regular dudes. You can skip the special/heavy weapons for more regular bolters but you'd never do this unless you did not have a model available.

Grenades are bought with equipment points before a mission, you might buy them one mission then leave them home next mission and buy an auspex scanner for some reason.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Eediot Jedi posted:

You can pretty much watch a video review of the compendium book, a lot of them show the pages, pause and read it.

The game did take a big poo poo on custom fire teams, but they should be more balanced against each other.

Tac marines. 6 dudes.
1 sgt with bolter, or a combi-bolter. Or he can have a pancy pants pistol plus a fancy pants melee weapon.

3 regular dudes. You can skip the special/heavy weapons for more regular bolters but you'd never do this unless you did not have a model available.

Grenades are bought with equipment points before a mission, you might buy them one mission then leave them home next mission and buy an auspex scanner for some reason.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. It might be fun to play a game or two with them just to check out the rules.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005

Squibsy posted:

You're pretty boned. Snotlings are breaking stuff currently because they can pick from and afford a wide range of extremely tough and capable star players, and can field an outrageous number of snotlings on the field at the same time.

Snotlings are absolutely ruining our club's tabletop league right now and everyone is incredibly salty. As someone who's not playing I can laugh :allears:

Orly. And here I was planning on playing snotlings to have a tougher team (edit: for me to play as) in our league. Any idea how they're ruining things? Or is it more of a people expecting them to not be a great team and pulling off wins thing?

Woodstock fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 28, 2021

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Woodstock posted:

Orly. And here I was planning on playing snotlings to have a tougher team in our league. Any idea how they're ruining things? Or is it more of a people expecting them to not be a great team and pulling off wins thing?

In a league context it is a perfect storm of a few factors:

- basic snotling players count as zero for team value purposes, meaning that the team value of a snotling team can be min/maxed to ridiculously low levels, which

- can be used to buy and expanded range of better star players for cheaper than before. In my league the usual suspects are Morg n Thorg and Hakflem Scuttlespike, as well as

- the Riotous Rookies inducement which allows the snotling team to field extra models on the pitch at each kick off, meaning you can end up with up to 14 players on the pitch at once, of which two are trolls, one is Morg, and another is a souped-up gutter runner.

So you are winning the action economy, you have three high strength resilient players who can grind down the opposition, particularly with Morg being able to Blitz without a negatrait, his AV10 to make him almost unkillable, and his ST6 Mighty Blow+2 with Block to make his attacks very lethal. You have worthless snots who can foul anything that Morg and the Trolls don't kill with their fists, and give no fucks if they get sent off.

AND you have a super fast, agile Skaven player who can be your scoring/ball stealing threat.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005

Squibsy posted:

In a league context it is a perfect storm of a few factors:

- basic snotling players count as zero for team value purposes, meaning that the team value of a snotling team can be min/maxed to ridiculously low levels, which

- can be used to buy and expanded range of better star players for cheaper than before. In my league the usual suspects are Morg n Thorg and Hakflem Scuttlespike

Interesting. Myself I'm actually going to be playing the snotling positionals too, so probably not so much min maxing.

League is undecided on star players so far. If we don't allow stars then I figure we at least will have (non Deathzone) mercenaries and the plethora of other inducements available for a team that needs it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Alternatively, you might want to use the Thousand Sons list - the keywords are goofy and you get tzaangors and a source you'll want to refluff, but they get the LotD's signature flaming bolts and invulnerable save.

You could probably reskin the Tzaangors as whatever desperate guardsmen regiment (catachan?) the LotD are helping out, with the "sorcerer" as their primaris psyker.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Awesome Necromunda session today.

First up my Orlocks faced the Genestealer Cult infected Delaque gang which was the frontrunner. I had 1260 Gang Rating, he had 1760+, so a pretty hefty disadvantage. We rolled the Marauders scenario and agreed I should be the attacker. This is my starting chosen crew of 6 attacking his random crew of 4, but all the rest of his gang could swiftly come in as reinforcements. I was quite pessimistic about the outcome, particularly when I heard he has 16 fighters in his gang! He'd rolled a free Juve in pretty much every game and I think had around 8. Actually that really cost him. Most of his starting guys were Juves, and to save points most of his fighters had no armour, champions had light weapons etc. He'd made a lot of concessions for numbers, one or two hard fighters, and a Delaque House brute (Piscean Spektor). So as scary as some stuff was, my picked crew tore through tons of his Juves, and the objective of the mission is to rack up the number of enemies you put Out of Action.

Some highlights:
- my combat shotgun Gunner managed to come round a corner and lay a scattershot template over 4 Delaques! Put one straight OOA, the others escaped with 2 flesh wounds and 1 uninjured.
- my bolter Gunner hit with 3 shots, 3 rounds in a row. Completely exploded 2 Delaques and pinned/held off his horrible brute.
- Nacht Ghuls are terrifying. His one (with Shivver Sword+autopistol, 4+ armour and a camo cloak) charged my combat shotgun Gunner, and only his poor luck and a lucky 6 on the one save I had to make preserved my guy. I counter charged with my Road Captain in a big scrum, got one injury dice through . . . Flesh Wound! Fortunately, a nearby Psy-Gheist, which had just taken out one of my Road Sgts, was put down by my Arms Master shooting. This caused a Nerve Test on the Nacht Ghul, and he failed! He failed the 2+ Initiative check to escape combat, I passed the 4+ Initiative check to swing at him, and just managed to put him down.
- After these tribulations, an Aberrant came running up behind my Road Captain and shivved him. I did roll 11 for the lasting injury, so he learned something from the experience. What, I don't know.

Basically, because his reinforcements were coming in piecemeal and so many of the starting crew and reinforcements were vulnerable Juves (and also I think I had pretty good luck, especially in putting people OOA with shooting who would more likely have been Seriously Injured, perhaps to recover later), I had put down 7 fighters to his 3 after some time. That still only left me with 3 on the board, he had more, with more in the wings (total of 9 fighters left in his gang, including that beastly brute). I was sort of unsure what to do, I seemed to have done very well, but there was no way my remaining crew could finish the rest of his gang. I then twigged that bottling (voluntarily or not) doesn't automatically lose you the game in this scenario, as long as you've inflicted more casualties than you took, you win. So away I bottled!

Really great game that shows some of the wrinkles of Necromunda gang composition and scenario rules.

Then I had a smaller game, Forgotten Riches, 5 models a side, against Van Saar, the arbitrator and other campaign frontrunner. This game is just simple starting crews, and you compete to grab loot caskets as well as putting down enemy fighters.

Highlights:
- I had the chance to throw a blasting charge with a Wrecker, and by god I did it. Doing this after you move with a jump booster makes the grenade Unstable, and yes, I immediately took myself OOA. Totally worth it. I mean, not in the game, I just seriously injured one enemy, so it was objectively a very poor decision. But hey, that's what prospects do.
- My Arms Master charged one Van Saar, cut him down with a chainsword, then I played the Tactics Card 'Showboating', which lets me charge a new target. Took out another guy. Hurrah!
- Arms Master was then immediately vapourised by a champ with a multi melta. Those things are nasty. Within 12", which this was, it's 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound and immediately take OOA. No real counterplay except field armour, having 4 wounds or hoping the enemy has bad luck.

With 2 of 5 models down on each side, the Van Saar player fortunately bottled before I did, and I had 2 loot caskets secured to his 1. Another victory. Given that I had 2 underdog cards in the first game, and 1 in the second, which I used for more XP and some income, I have done really well out of the day. Gang Rating shot up from 1260 to 1835! Some of my fighters are developing nicely. Particularly my Arms Master. Fed on a diet of enemy Juves and lesser Gangers, he now has +1T, +1W and a few more xp in the bank.

Necromunda is just a great game. So much cool stuff in all the 'House of' books. Missed out on my chance to play the Goliath guy with all his gene-smithed monstrosities, but there's always next time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It occurs to me that the hilariously bad Pariah Nexus box would actually be slightly balanced in NuKT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Eediot Jedi posted:

Tac marines. 6 dudes.

This is fantastic, thank you! I have 4 old metal LoD guys, one sergeant and one with a flamer. I guess I need tog et 2 more and I can play some KT...