Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imo Luke’s Crait look is second only to his iconic farmboy look. I love that costume so much.

His all-cream/white look at the end of TFA and in TROS has to be my least favorite though, it just doesn’t fit the character at all and it’s not even visually interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Robes are a perfectly reasonable garment for space. I'm not sure why but there sure are a lot of them in Sci-fi

If Spider-Man is coming in December, i wonder if we'll get a teaser for Book of Boba Fett soonish?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ROtJ Luke is the best Luke.

It's almost a call back to his farmboy threads from ANH but more fitted and so much cooler.

Lucas even calls the all-black look "more Jedi-like"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Xa6CcShAI&t=279s

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imo Luke’s Crait look is second only to his iconic farmboy look. I love that costume so much.

His all-cream/white look at the end of TFA and in TROS has to be my least favorite though, it just doesn’t fit the character at all and it’s not even visually interesting.

Same, the all black from RotJ is cool as a way to draw parallels to Vader and make the viewers question whether Luke really will fall to the dark side, but once we know he doesn't, it's cool to integrate some other earth tones and whites into his outfit. Brown glove, brown boots (with the Tatooine leg wraps), brown belt and the white shirt help to break up his overall design while still being both fundamentally Luke, and Jedi-esque.

I have the SH Figuarts Crait Luke with the Ahch-To Luke head swapped on and a green saber from TBS Luke sitting on my desk. I like to think of it as my "what-if" Grand Master Luke.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, it basically screams JJ doing his take on Prequel robes. Visually there's not much interesting there. I think Rian hit it out of the park with Luke's Crait and Ahch-to vagabond look. The vagabond look is still just a dark robes take, but there's still a lot of new textures there. And his long hair and beard really pull it together. It's a Luke who has been out on the fringes for a long time getting his hands dirty.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What are the odds that yellow kyber crystal is what Rey eventually finds for her own lightsaber

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
*that eventually finds Rey

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was always a little disappointed that Obi-Wan desert hermit robes became Jedi uniform, instead of it turning out the Luke's blacks were their look.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

wrong thread. gonk.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sash! posted:

I was always a little disappointed that Obi-Wan desert hermit robes became Jedi uniform, instead of it turning out the Luke's blacks were their look.

Eh, all the Jedi kinda wore some variations of robes, but they weren't really identical. Disregarding distinctions based on species necessitating different clothes, Yoda's outfit was simpler than most with no tunic and just a shirt/pants and robe over it. Obi-Wan on Tatooine went for a full length tunic in his old age, Mace probably had the cleanest and sharpest shirt/tunic/robe combo. Even within all of those, they had different boots, or gauntlets, or belts, or etc. to distinguish them.

Luke's RotJ garb basically is standard Jedi stuff, just all in black besides his brown cloak. His belt isn't really the same as what Jedi wore, and seems to be very similar to the type of belt most rebels used with the big buckle. I'm sure it's Luke reading about what Jedi looked like in one of Obi-Wan's books in his hut and trying to approximate it as close as possible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I always liked how prequel Obi-Wan had a lot of reddish-brown accents to set him apart a bit from the rest of the predominantly earth-tone Jedi.

It would be nice to see more Jedi outfits incorporating navies and greys, like something from a 60s chanbara flick. It would be a nice little homage and bring some variation.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Anankin's look in revenge of the sith is the dopest

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I guess it was kind of established when Anakin showed up in ROTJ wearing the same thing as Obi-Wan, but Episode I briefly took more inspiration from Luke's Jedi look:

The movie was storyboarded using these types of costumes, so it seems like for a while they were the approved Jedi Look until it was changed to the farmer robes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Robot Style posted:

They kind of discussed it when talking about the costume - stuff like his robe in the movie actually being brown but people remember it as black. They specifically wanted to hit people's nostalgia to help sell the effect of the character, so deliberately went with a "this is what you remember" version of Luke rather than strictly depicting the reality.

It's also kind of cheeky that it happened to line up with the Expanded Universe version of Luke, where they could only legally use promo stills from the movies rather than current photos of the characters, so EU Luke kind of eternally looked like ROTJ anyway.

Yeah to me he looked like they'd ripped him from the cover of some New Republic era EU book from the 90s. It hit that nostalgia point for me hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure if we have a thread dedicated to SW games so I’m posting this here instead, the new LEGO Star Wars game (the one that covers all 9 movies) will finally be out Spring 2022:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aCbnUmM6Nzs

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Larryb posted:

Not sure if we have a thread dedicated to SW games so I’m posting this here instead, the new LEGO Star Wars game (the one that covers all 9 movies) will finally be out Spring 2022:

Finally, been waiting forever for this. It’s been delayed by like two years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Larryb posted:

Thats rad. I played the original trilogy game to death on my 360.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I always liked how prequel Obi-Wan had a lot of reddish-brown accents to set him apart a bit from the rest of the predominantly earth-tone Jedi.

It would be nice to see more Jedi outfits incorporating navies and greys, like something from a 60s chanbara flick. It would be a nice little homage and bring some variation.
I kind of wonder if the red tones are supposed to complement his hair, and is a little nod to a bit of vanity that he had back when he was General Kenobi, king poo poo of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Larryb posted:

Seems like no physical PC release though, meaning no limited edition blue milk Luke minifigure :negative:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I usually avoid youtube "The science behind...!" videos like the plague, but this one guy has a series of interesting videos with deep dives into Star Wars lore without disappearing up his own rear end.

This one is on how Chain Codes might work as a universal tagging system, not just for people, but for everything from ships to weapons. Which, to be fair, is exactly the sort of thing a galactic empire run by a supervillain would do.

(warning: it does involve mentioning bitcoin, so I apologise in advance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ybT2kUI6gU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Listening to Favreau talk about NFTs in the second BTS episode for Mando S2 was a surreal experience

He talks about it in the context of technology progressing to the point that you can create realistic faces and voices, so having a way to identify official material would be useful

Luke's voice was entirely synthesized based on audio from the movies, audiobooks, and radio plays, while his face was sourced from every last scrap of facial animation data they could find, up to and including old interviews he did back in the day

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Not exactly the right thread for this but I figure someone here might be able to answer my question.

Do they still make Darth Maul toy lightsabers? My nephew asked for one for his birthday and I can't seem to find official ones on Target or Amazon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Spacebump posted:

Not exactly the right thread for this but I figure someone here might be able to answer my question.

Do they still make Darth Maul toy lightsabers? My nephew asked for one for his birthday and I can't seem to find official ones on Target or Amazon.

Rubies Costume Star Wars Darth Maul Double Blade Light Saber Costume Accessory

There's also the FlashingBlinkyLights line of nondescript light-up sabers, which also come in unicorn and dragon-hilt flavors

I want pictures! Pictures of Filoni's MechaG suit! :argh:

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 1, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rise from your slumber, TV megathread :hb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xyiun4LXs

I guess we're getting a LEGO version of The Rise of Kylo Ren comic lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That ending is :allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

My daughter will love that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

I'm starting to really love these LEGO Star Wars.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you haven't already you should definitely watch the Freemaker Adventures. It's great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks pretty cute I'll have to check that out

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
X-post from the meme thread, a rare behind the scenes look at the sound effects department

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And who can forget TIE-lo Ren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpfeX9AIgA

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lmao

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Cross-Section posted:

Oh god, this so neat!

AndyElusive posted:

I'm starting to really love these LEGO Star Wars.

The Christmas one was so funny, I'm surprised this don't disappoint.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

The Christmas one was so funny, I'm surprised this don't disappoint.

They knew that everyone just wanted 3 eras of Obi Wan to say "hello there" to each other. The delivered.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars Vision's epsiodes vary from 13 to 22 minutes
Entire series is about 2.5 hours
Social embargo ends on the 17th
Review embargo ends on the 21st

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh....I'm looking at my comment and wondering what happened there with my grammar :lol:

Anyways, Star Wars Lego movies are awesome!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh....I'm looking at my comment and wondering what happened there with my grammar :lol:

Anyways, Star Wars Lego movies are awesome!

Lego Star Wars stuff in general is pretty good in my experience

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Lego video games and movies in general are awesome

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has there ever been a bad Lego game/show/movie come to think of it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Galidor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Larryb posted:

Has there ever been a bad Lego game/show/movie come to think of it?

I think it was kinda lovely that the LEGO Hobbit game decided to say “gently caress it” to adding an ending to the game after the poor reception to Five Armies, but otherwise I’ve enjoyed all the ones I’ve played.