Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

effika posted:

Vert de gris is super dry, so it may still be legit.

that could explain it and it is a shame, I love it's gush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Organization day! Kind of

Each case has 12 pens, and doesn't include my Deltas, my other good Italian pens, my good Japanese pens and assorted other bits and bobs that don't quite fit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

Organization day! Kind of

Each case has 12 pens, and doesn't include my Deltas, my other good Italian pens, my good Japanese pens and assorted other bits and bobs that don't quite fit.

:eyepop:

So you're not showing us as many pens again, basically?

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
grack: v. to hoard fountain pens

grack
Jan 10, 2012

gschmidl posted:

:eyepop:

So you're not showing us as many pens again, basically?

Just showing off the cases, mostly. I found 'em for $1.25 each at Dollar Tree. I only post a limited amount of stuff I get here (or work on) anyways.

Punkreas posted:

grack: v. to hoard fountain pens

We had our local pen club meeting over zoom last night. One member was saying that he'd recently sold off a bunch of his collection. When asked how many pens that was, he said "Over 2500".

That's a hoarder.

Also, to clarify, I'm not the one who bought them. He didn't have any Deltas

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

Also, to clarify, I'm not the one who bought them.

Maybe not a hoarder but the fact that you had to clarify is a bit damning!!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Keetron posted:

that could explain it and it is a shame, I love it's gush.

Maybe check out this https://vanness1938.com/products/vanness-white-lightning-ink-additive

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got my Diamine sampler from Goulet today. The blue velvet leaked in transit and I don't know if I'll be able to get what remains into a pen with how little there is :negative:

The polar glow is nice at least, and it seems like the sheen I saw on the sample image isn't too prominent so it doesn't look like a Lisa Frank signature.

The Jinhao X450 feels like it has a pretty nice flow too, not super wet. Looking forward to having an excuse to write.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 22, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got my Diamine sampler from Goulet today. The blue velvet leaked in transit and I don't know if I'll be able to get what remains into a pen with how little there is :negative:

The polar glow is nice at least, and it seems like the sheen I saw on the sample image isn't too prominent so it doesn't look like a Lisa Frank signature.

The Jinhao X450 feels like it has a pretty nice flow too, not super wet. Looking forward to having an excuse to write.

Join the snail mail thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400714

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Started using my Kaweco Perkeo that my mum got me for Christmas after losing the cap from my Cult Pens mini. It's a nice pen but does feel a bit light in the hand after being used to a metal case.

Cult Pens have offered to ship me a new cap for free next time I put in an order which is very kind of them. I don't even know where it went. Dropped it while sitting at my desk, heard it land, and it's disappeared into another dimension.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I did a bunch of reading on fountain pens yesterday, and bought a pilot metropolitan that came with 12 cartridges. I also grabbed a webnotebook for an rpg journal and a couple mnemosyne journals for day to day use. I just discovered this thread. I haven't been this excited about stationary since trapper keepers and those little pencil boxes with spring-loaded drawers. I had one with dinosaurs on it. I also snagged a cheap book on calligraphy. I love arts and crafts, and I've been making hand-made greeting cards for less than a year now.

Writing with a fountain pen sounds like a very mindful activity. My motivation comes and goes, but I'm hoping this'll keep me interested in creating stuff. When it comes to the rpg journal, I want to make something akin to the grail diary from indiana jones, with all kinds of mixed media thrown in. I'd be interested if there's any kind of thread or community for making stuff like that. Even just a thread on making cards would help.

I like the idea of manually refilling from an ink bottle, but I'm going to take this one step at a time. I really like the idea of buying a decades-old pen that still works today. I don't know anything about fountain pen history, but I want something that I'd imagine an old-timey author using. Durable, practical, with no modern-looking frills. I'd like to try a dip pen at some point. I'll see how I like the metropolitan first. I got a black one with "classic" design, and I like the look of it.

VVVVVV
Wow that's exactly what I was looking for.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 22, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I like the idea of manually refilling from an ink bottle, but I'm going to take this one step at a time. I really like the idea of buying a decades-old pen that still works today. I don't know anything about fountain pen history, but I want something that I'd imagine an old-timey author using. Durable, practical, with no modern-looking frills. I'd like to try a dip pen at some point. I'll see how I like the metropolitan first. I got a black one with "classic" design, and I like the look of it.

You can - I assume - get a converter for your Metro that'll let you try refilling from a bottle for cheap. You can also get a cheap glass dip pen and use the same bottle for it.

As for old-timey pens, you'll want something that's been treated by a professional. I bought a Parker Vacumatic from https://afrevapens.com/for-sale/ and was not disappointed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

gschmidl posted:

You can - I assume - get a converter for your Metro that'll let you try refilling from a bottle for cheap. You can also get a cheap glass dip pen and use the same bottle for it.

As for old-timey pens, you'll want something that's been treated by a professional. I bought a Parker Vacumatic from https://afrevapens.com/for-sale/ and was not disappointed.

Depends on your location. The US metro uses standard cartridges (iirc) and you can put in any standard converter. This comes with the HUGE risk of falling into the rabbit hole that is fountainpen ink. It was nice knowing you, I hope you hate money. The Euro metro uses a size that is just a tiny bit larger than standard and will destroy converters and you need to buy pilot ink cartridges for it but you can refill those with a syringe from an ink bottle.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

Depends on your location. The US metro uses standard cartridges (iirc) and you can put in any standard converter. This comes with the HUGE risk of falling into the rabbit hole that is fountainpen ink. It was nice knowing you, I hope you hate money. The Euro metro uses a size that is just a tiny bit larger than standard and will destroy converters and you need to buy pilot ink cartridges for it but you can refill those with a syringe from an ink bottle.

I blithely assumed US, but yeah, I had to pick a different converter for my Euro Metro (Pelikan? It's somewhere in this thread).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I thought the euros used int'l standard, us/jp use pilot. Then again, I also thought they specifically used the MR name for the euro ones, but it seems now everything is technically an MR Metropolitan, so who knows.

Also it seems the us ones at least come with a converter (although I feel like it's actually meant specifically for cleaning, and pilot wants you to buy a con-40 — it'll still work, but it's just a simple squeeze bulb/aero-whatever, so you can't actually see the ink level)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zenostein posted:

I thought the euros used int'l standard, us/jp use pilot. Then again, I also thought they specifically used the MR name for the euro ones, but it seems now everything is technically an MR Metropolitan, so who knows.

Technically they use int'l standard, in practice only some of them work - we had to try 3 different ones at the store.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Technically they use int'l standard, in practice only some of them work - we had to try 3 different ones at the store.

For how great they are in price vs quality, Pilot really is jerking around with the converter and cartridge sizings

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Can anyone recommend guides or workbooks for improving penmanship? I can find books with bananas calligraphy fonts--I've even got a book of medieval scripts-- but I'm looking for something more functional for writing regular letters or taking notes. My own handwriting isn't terrible, but I'd like to learn some new tricks.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Pixelante posted:

Can anyone recommend guides or workbooks for improving penmanship? I can find books with bananas calligraphy fonts--I've even got a book of medieval scripts-- but I'm looking for something more functional for writing regular letters or taking notes. My own handwriting isn't terrible, but I'd like to learn some new tricks.

Try the one Goulet carries

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/the-art-of-cursive-penmanship-book?variant=14405530812459

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmmmm

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

what even happened to that?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The owner didn't say but I'm guessing it was whacked sideways on a desk.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Forgot to rinse out my Metropolitan before using it, but it's working well. I'm trying to journal more routinely, and this'll make it more interesting. I'll use the ink cartridges it came with for now, but I have my eye on the noodler's heart of darkness ink. I always thought of fountain pens as just old tech that was supplanted by newer and better stuff. It still seems weird to me that something like this is actually practical. It would never have occurred to me that these are better for the environment, more ergonomic, and even (possibly) cost-effective. I've bought and discarded sooo many pens over the years. I was worried the ink on my Metropolitan might take too long to dry, but it seems to mesh well with the Mnemosyne's paper. I used to write exclusively with pilot gel pens, and those can take a little time to dry too.

I really enjoy the feel of the pen. The weight and shape are nice, and the metal body makes it feel like a quality pen. I'll probably be evangelizing fountain pens to people I know in the foreseeable future. I usually just journal on the computer, which makes it very easy to share my writing. Maybe I'll stick to personal stuff in handwriting, and type on specific topics I want to share? Or I could just use the journal as an outline for write-ups. I like planning stuff out by hand. Might be a good chance to practice calligraphy and drawing. I plan on hand-crafting all greeting cards from here on out, and those skills would help.

I'm using my little Rhodia Webnotebook as a journal for RPGs. I want to make it look good, and for it to be something I can show people. I like the idea of having something tangible and interesting afterward. I want to play around with different writing styles and art supplies along the way. I'm not sure what's going to stick to this type of paper. I hear pencils don't work well.

I'm legitimately excited about this stuff.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember a class in high school where all papers were required to be written in pen because pencil was too light. As a young student, I didn't see how it could be that bad. As an old man, I'd slap younger self on the back of the head and tell them to just do it. I can't see myself writing anything in pencil (much less finding an actual pencil) unless I really had to. Like for a board game or something.

I recently handed someone a fountain pen to write with, because my gel pen was clogged. I've been finding more and more clogged gel pens in my bag, when the fountain pen would work just fine. Fountain pen supremacy!

I'm tempted to find converts but writing print instead of cursive with a fountain pen just seems so weird, yet that's how most other people write anything anymore

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 25, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

For a board game, use a Pilot Frixion!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gschmidl posted:

this is the fountain pen thread! We need erasable fountain pen ink.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
*click-click* paging nathan tardiff, nathan tardiff to the thread, nathan tardiff, thank you *click-clack-clonk*

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

gschmidl posted:

Those look great! This thread makes me feel like I'm some kind of writing utensil caveman who just discovered fire.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

sb hermit posted:

I remember a class in high school where all papers were required to be written in pen because pencil was too light. As a young student, I didn't see how it could be that bad. As an old man, I'd slap younger self on the back of the head and tell them to just do it. I can't see myself writing anything in pencil (much less finding an actual pencil) unless I really had to. Like for a board game or something.

I recently handed someone a fountain pen to write with, because my gel pen was clogged. I've been finding more and more clogged gel pens in my bag, when the fountain pen would work just fine. Fountain pen supremacy!

I'm tempted to find converts but writing print instead of cursive with a fountain pen just seems so weird, yet that's how most other people write anything anymore

I'd agree with you, but pencil's more likely to stay on the paper. The only real legibility issues with pencils are from using light ones. (Although honestly, besides math, I'm pretty sure using a pencil was just assumed to be a thing you weren't doing past grade school).

Do those fixions actually work better than the old papermate eraseables (or the sharpie ones, for that matter)? Because goddamn, those were all sorta poo poo.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

I'd agree with you, but pencil's more likely to stay on the paper. The only real legibility issues with pencils are from using light ones. (Although honestly, besides math, I'm pretty sure using a pencil was just assumed to be a thing you weren't doing past grade school).

Do those fixions actually work better than the old papermate eraseables (or the sharpie ones, for that matter)? Because goddamn, those were all sorta poo poo.

Frixions are shockingly good. They don't just write well for an erasable pen, they write well period. They also come in a zillion different body and refill styles to suit all tastes. I'd definitely get a fountain pen version if it existed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Those look great! This thread makes me feel like I'm some kind of writing utensil caveman who just discovered fire.

Well, if you dive deep in, I hope you hate money.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Forgot to rinse out my Metropolitan before using it, but it's working well. I'm trying to journal more routinely, and this'll make it more interesting. I'll use the ink cartridges it came with for now, but I have my eye on the noodler's heart of darkness ink. I always thought of fountain pens as just old tech that was supplanted by newer and better stuff. It still seems weird to me that something like this is actually practical. It would never have occurred to me that these are better for the environment, more ergonomic, and even (possibly) cost-effective. I've bought and discarded sooo many pens over the years. I was worried the ink on my Metropolitan might take too long to dry, but it seems to mesh well with the Mnemosyne's paper. I used to write exclusively with pilot gel pens, and those can take a little time to dry too.

I really enjoy the feel of the pen. The weight and shape are nice, and the metal body makes it feel like a quality pen. I'll probably be evangelizing fountain pens to people I know in the foreseeable future. I usually just journal on the computer, which makes it very easy to share my writing. Maybe I'll stick to personal stuff in handwriting, and type on specific topics I want to share? Or I could just use the journal as an outline for write-ups. I like planning stuff out by hand. Might be a good chance to practice calligraphy and drawing. I plan on hand-crafting all greeting cards from here on out, and those skills would help.

I'm using my little Rhodia Webnotebook as a journal for RPGs. I want to make it look good, and for it to be something I can show people. I like the idea of having something tangible and interesting afterward. I want to play around with different writing styles and art supplies along the way. I'm not sure what's going to stick to this type of paper. I hear pencils don't work well.

I'm legitimately excited about this stuff.

Goulet has a great selection of size A notebooks and journals. I got myself a little variety a couple years ago when my wife got me a leather A-size journal cover for our anniversary. It goes with me everywhere and is full of to-do notes, meeting notes, doodles, etc. It's a good record of how inks and nibs perform on various papers, because every time I switch ink in any given pen, I give it a full page of doodles so I can flip back and find what I really liked. So now that you have a good pen, the next logical step is to get nerdy about various papers. I was excited about Rhodia's legal pads because I use that size a lot as well, but my favorite inks just do not dry on it and it's a massive pain in the rear end.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I just got into fountain pens myself and I saw Levinger Ruled pads recommended, and boy howdy I am in love. Those are like a dream, and actually make me happy to write longhand with them. I am trying it because a - I was curious, and b - I saw some writers prefer to write longhand because it slows them down enough to think about what's coming next.

I got a couple of Pilot Metropolitans and love them! Although I don't get what to do with the little plastic thing that came with it. The instructions say something about using a converter, but that can't be a converter, can it? It looks more like a spacer for shipping.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

I just got into fountain pens myself and I saw Levinger Ruled pads recommended, and boy howdy I am in love. Those are like a dream, and actually make me happy to write longhand with them. I am trying it because a - I was curious, and b - I saw some writers prefer to write longhand because it slows them down enough to think about what's coming next.

I got a couple of Pilot Metropolitans and love them! Although I don't get what to do with the little plastic thing that came with it. The instructions say something about using a converter, but that can't be a converter, can it? It looks more like a spacer for shipping.

I had to just watch a youtube video. I read and re-read the little document that came with my Metropolitan and couldn't make sense of the directions. Mine came with the converter already installed, which had to be removed. I popped off the cap, twisted the pen into its two main components, then unscrewed the converter, which looks like a metal clip with a padded bladder inside. I skipped the washing step without thinking, but it sounds useful. The ink cartridge, which came with my pen, had to pressed firmly into the space where the converter was. The guide I saw recommended squeezing the cartridge a few times to get the ink flowing, and that simply propping the pen nib-down for an hour or 2 may get the ink flowing.

This video helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgg429jQx8

I'm happy with the Metropolitan, and it'll tide me over for now. When I run out of cartridges, I'll get some neat ink.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Welp, ordered my first pen with raden work. Already have an urushi pen. Checking boxes on the list.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Italian pen that looks alot like a Delta. Thoughts Grack?

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/maiora-mitho-fountain-pens/products/maiora-mitho-k-fountain-pen-origine?variant=39377509842987

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My daughter went to a German immersion school, and they taught penmanship with fountain pens. She used a Pelican Twist all through school, and they used a thing called a tintenkiller for corrections. It’s a 2-ended pen: one end had like a highlighter that could erase Pelikan ink, and the other end had a little felt tipped pen with ink that could write over the juice (for making immediate corrections)

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.Store.displayStore.221627./the-ink-eradicators-from-pelikan

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fischtick posted:

My daughter went to a German immersion school, and they taught penmanship with fountain pens. She used a Pelican Twist all through school, and they used a thing called a tintenkiller for corrections. It’s a 2-ended pen: one end had like a highlighter that could erase Pelikan ink, and the other end had a little felt tipped pen with ink that could write over the juice (for making immediate corrections)

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US.Store.displayStore.221627./the-ink-eradicators-from-pelikan

Yeah, those were standard here, too. They don't kill ink very well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I was looking at getting a few of the limited edition Platinum Preppy pens, do the barrels still have cracking issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Solkanar512 posted:

I was looking at getting a few of the limited edition Platinum Preppy pens, do the barrels still have cracking issues?

i used preppys for a while and never had a cracking issue or really any other issue.