Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1430490016569040899?s=19

Don't draft early, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

had my first draft last night, 14-team league, 2 keepers, 6 point passing TDs, .5 ppr. 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 2 FLEX 1 TE 1 D 1 K:

(4) Zeke (top 3 were CMC, Dalvin, Kamara; after me were Jones, Henry, Taylor, Adams, Kelce, Najee, Tyreek, CEH, Ridley, Hopkins)
(25) Amari Cooper
(32) Kyle Pitts
(53) Kyler Murray
(60) Joe Mixon (K)
(81) Deebo Samuel
(88) Antonio Brown
(109) DK Metcalf (K)
(116) Darnell Mooney
(137) Elijah Moore
(144) Mecole Hardman
(165) Giovani Bernard
(172) New England
(193) Rondale Moore
(200) Terrace Marshall Jr.

Strategy was to load up on upside WRs, hope to run through the season with Zeke and Mixon and get floor points with Gio if necessary, scout the wire for more RB depth as poo poo happens.

god bless yahoo for not forcing me to draft a kicker...draft was wild due to 14 teams and 25+ guys getting kept, David Montgomery went 20th overall and Chris Carson was 18th. Damien Harris went in the 3rd round!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I was in discussions to trade for Henderson in my dynasty league, thank god I saw this tweet before I looked at the trade request!

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
My keeper league drafts Saturday morning and at this point I’m just going to let the fantasy gods take the wheel.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whoreson Welles posted:

My keeper league drafts Saturday morning and at this point I’m just going to let the fantasy gods take the wheel.
Yeah I have one tonight because it was the only time everyone could meet get on a call; I'd rather wait another week or so, so I guess I'm just going to draft all the RBs and hope I get a decent QB and find some more WR studs later on since WRs grow on trees (its 1 QB PPR 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex).

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

I was in discussions to trade for Henderson in my dynasty league, thank god I saw this tweet before I looked at the trade request!

I don’t think this is really an indictment on Henderson. They just have no proven depth at the position (as much as I want Xavier Jones to be a thing) and after a near miss with Henderson hurting his thumb in practice the other day, they made the move to shore up the backup situation.

Sony has been a JAG since those knee injuries.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^ they already said Sony is going to start apparently so I do think this is an indictment of Henderson

I feel like with injuries they happen every year but you still need to try to hit that RB home run in the first if you can. If they go down welp it happens and you overcome this by being in like four leagues so your season isn't ruined. And do dynasty in one of them.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

kiimo posted:

^^^^ they already said Sony is going to start apparently so I do think this is an indictment of Henderson

I feel like with injuries they happen every year but you still need to try to hit that RB home run in the first if you can. If they go down welp it happens and you overcome this by being in like four leagues so your season isn't ruined. And do dynasty in one of them.

Got a link? I’ve just seen beat writers saying Sony is a complementary/depth signing:

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1430491862863728641?s=20

Definitely a hit to Henderson’s ceiling looking at that draft capital, but I still prefer him to Sony in all formats.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Quarterroys posted:

I don’t think this is really an indictment on Henderson. They just have no proven depth at the position (as much as I want Xavier Jones to be a thing) and after a near miss with Henderson hurting his thumb in practice the other day, they made the move to shore up the backup situation.

Sony has been a JAG since those knee injuries.
I agree with this assessment. Of all the guys they could have acquired, Sony feels like one of the least intimidating options. His knees make him a complementary option at best and the Rams zone run scheme can take time to get comfortable in. This is an upgrade over Xavier Jones/Jake Funk but the biggest determinant for Henderson’s success is whether he can stay healthy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Quarterroys posted:

Got a link? I’ve just seen beat writers saying Sony is a complementary/depth signing:

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1430491862863728641?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1430523860852617220

Schefter said it too but I can't find it now

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1430588014607028226?s=21

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe Shefter spoke too soon and deleted that tweet

edit: it seems they're walking this back because well you probably don't want to just name some new guy the starter especially with those knees.

https://twitter.com/pff_fantasy/status/1430551669599739908?s=10

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1430515680206598148

Think this is what kicked off the Michel lead back rumors.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
adam schefter is a loving idiot and should just be treated as a newswire, not a depth chart guy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seems a little strong

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kiimo posted:

Seems a little strong

Agreed but thinking michel was the rams' locked in RB1 after this trade was dumb

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

Agreed but thinking michel was the rams' locked in RB1 after this trade was dumb

This. Sony Michel sucked in NE. I’d wait to see him produce for at least one game before handing him the starting job.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My redraft league that is keeping keepers for the first time this year is drafting tonight. Would it be dirty of me to draft Etienne really late then stash him on IR all year so I could keep him for cheap next year?

Edit: we keep for two rounds higher the following year.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

If the rules allow for it, it's not dirty

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My redraft league that is keeping keepers for the first time this year is drafting tonight. Would it be dirty of me to draft Etienne really late then stash him on IR all year so I could keep him for cheap next year?

morally i'm good with it, but i find that -- especially if its your first year -- you'll have a better opportunity to scoop someone off the waiver wire who gets put on IR during the season (assuming your rules allow you to keep waiver adds). I got to keep Mixon in the 5th round this year for just this reason.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

I’m honestly considering this in my 10-team keeper league and hoping no one else has the same plan. We have a draft position-based value system, basically #1 overall pick is worth 170 keeper points, last pick is worth 1. It gets a little more complicated than that but if I could get him in the last handful of rounds and have a skilled RB2 keeper worth like 20 points going into the 2022-23 season it would be pretty dope.

P.S. I guarantee you at least one of my leaguemates has the same plan

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

That isn't dirty in any way, that's what everyone should be thinking about. Like, it's just a slightly more extreme version of drafting a highly touted rookie firmly behind an aging vet for one year, ya know?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I drafted Cam Akers in the last round of my keeper league this year. It’s absolutely worth it if you have IR spots. Worst case you just drop his rear end.

I remember one year I drafted Jordy Nelson and some other stud who was out for the season in the last 2 rounds of the draft and next year my team was so unfair.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Akers is done. Running backs don't come back from Achilles. Straight up cut. Pick an actual lotto ticket.

Only like 2 RBs in the last decade have been in the league 2 years past an Achilles injury. Let me look for the stat.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 25, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, didnt expect so many replies, thanks guys! Yeah I checked the bylaws and there is nothing preventing it, and it will take up an IR spot so there is a "cost".

Some guys are keeping guys they picked up off the waiver last year - that costs a 10th rounder, which is why I am trying to find late round value so I can find someone in the 18th to keep for the increasing 2 round value for the next 5+ years. Some guy drafted JRob in the 16th last year so thats a free starting RB for him this year. I'm keeping Swift for a 4th, Gibson for a 5th, and Diontae for a 6th. I picked 1st overall draft spot so I pay 4.12 for Swift hehehe

Speaking of it, are there any guys you like for late round potential keepers in redraft? I know I want to try to grab Mooney and a few others that have a lot of promise after their rookie year or a regime change.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 25, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd say the risk though is if he isn't ready to go. I did this with Rashaad Penny and welp

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Speaking of it, are there any guys you like for late round potential keepers in redraft? I know I want to try to grab Mooney and a few others that have a lot of promise after their rookie year or a regime change.

Antonio brown in the 6th or 7th.

Can you use keepers on waiver pickups?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spermy Smurf posted:

Antonio brown in the 6th or 7th.

Can you use keepers on waiver pickups?
Yup, for a 10th round cost the following year then the usual 2 round increase every year thereafter. Its part of why I'm planning/trying harder to throwing a few calculated dice in the late teens this year so I get the whole even better value thing going.

Also if drafting CMC 1.1 and keeping Swift and Gibson pans out like I hope it does I wont have to keep a bunch scrub RBs on my bench just in case.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 26, 2021

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Just wait for a dude to break out. Jefferson wasn't rostered last year I bet. Neither was Robinson. Snag both, or any guys like Herbert on the cusp of breaking out. Bid on all of them, don't wait a week just to see if they repeat their weeks.

Churn the last 2 roster slots weekly (alternate weeks) for gold nuggets.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Akers is done. Running backs don't come back from Achilles. Straight up cut. Pick an actual lotto ticket.

Only like 2 RBs in the last decade have been in the league 2 years past an Achilles injury. Let me look for the stat.

I mean he’s in an IR slot, and I can drop him anytime. If I need to put an actual roster player on IR I’ll definitely drop Akins, but until then he sits there. We have 2 IR slots and a dedicated 3rd Covid only IR slot. It’s absolutely zero risk. But I get what you’re saying. Maybe I can trade a team with lovely keepers for a former RB1 with 18th round keeper value. Who knows? :shrug:

But more so just signing on to the idea of drafting an injured player in the last round with zero risk to stash in a keeper league. (Only if you have IR slots)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh yeah, IR.

Still, trade him to anyone and hope you can get a 2nd for him. Thats great value for a last pick.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea definitely.

Who is “the white Christian McCaffrey?”

I heard someone referred to as such and it made me laugh but I can’t remember who it was.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

RCarr posted:

Yea definitely.

Who is “the white Christian McCaffrey?”

I heard someone referred to as such and it made me laugh but I can’t remember who it was.

Think it was Jake Funk. I heard that too but I don't remember where lol.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

My take on the Sony Michel/lead back or not thing is that even if he’s listed as their number 1 back on the next depth chart Sony Michel loving sucks and the Rams will figure that out by Halloween so don’t draft him unless he falls really far.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

100%. Michel had his chance to be a good player, and he is definitely not.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Just finished that draft I was posting about earlier and the 7ish keepers that were top 25 players kept a top 3 TE from falling to me so I went for a 4th RB. Had the first overall pick and went with this:
CMC
ARob
Jacobs
Swift (keeper)
Gibson (keeper)
Diontae (keeper)
Stafford
Higbee
Mooney
McKissic
Elijah Moore
Everett
Bryan Edwards
Tampa D
Etienne
Wilzon
Van Jefferson

Feeling pretty good about it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Just finished that draft I was posting about earlier and the 7ish keepers that were top 25 players kept a top 3 TE from falling to me so I went for a 4th RB. Had the first overall pick and went with this:
CMC
ARob
Jacobs
Swift (keeper)
Gibson (keeper)
Diontae (keeper)
Stafford
Higbee
Mooney
McKissic
Elijah Moore
Everett
Bryan Edwards
Tampa D
Etienne
Wilzon
Van Jefferson

Feeling pretty good about it.

Very nice although do not understand getting Jacobs when you had CMC and Swift and Gibson…strong across the board though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

buffalo all day posted:

Very nice although do not understand getting Jacobs when you had CMC and Swift and Gibson…strong across the board though.
A lot of the WRs that should have been available there were already gone because of being kept, or their value got pushed up because the keepers were already off the board. We start 2 RBs and 2 RB/WR/TE Flex so I'll just start 4 RBs most weeks. Mahomes, Kelce, Kittle, and Waller were already gone so I had McLaurin (who I wanted to skip with Gibson already on board), and some WRs I dont trust as much as Jacobs. I have 4 startable RBs where most people have 2 at most. One guy is starting Alvin Kamara and... David Johnson or Kenyan Drake. Another is going with Dalvin, Mostert & Sermon, and Edmonds. Someone else has Aaron Jones, Mike Davis, and Melvin Gordon. I think the worst off is Kareem Hunt, Gus Edwards, Jamaal Williams, and Phillip Lindsay. Its a wasteland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 26, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I would have went WR in round 4 but other than that it’s solid.

If McLaurin was there I would definitely have taken him. Dude is a stud even with dogshit QBs.

Jacobs does have the talent to be worth it there but gamescript and Drake are scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RCarr posted:

Yea I would have went WR in round 4 but other than that it’s solid.

If McLaurin was there I would definitely have taken him. Dude is a stud even with dogshit QBs.

Jacobs does have the talent to be worth it there but gamescript and Drake are scary.
Yeah thats fair. I did have to think about it but ended up going heavy on the RBs.

I did just realize that I have two Bears WRs, which could be really bad news for me if their LT situation stays poo poo and Dalton/Fields underperform.