Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DigitalRaven posted:

Also there’s a fountain pen thread over in PYF (I’d link but I’m phone-posting) if you want even more advice and pens and inks to drool over.

I got you:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

I can recommend Cult Pens if you're buying pens in the UK. They've very kindly offered to ship me a new cap for my discontinued fountain pen for free after I emailed them in a tizzy after losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Oh, wow! I checked creative convention and the hobby forum, but didn't think to check pyf.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cult Pens will also frequently chuck in a bag of haribo, which has kept my loyalty

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Cult Pens will also frequently chuck in a bag of haribo, which has kept my loyalty

And those little smiley face paper clips! A good company.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Hi folks! Crossposting this from the SFF book thread at Hopper's prompting. Dunno why I didn't think to put it here too since I actually started following this thread recently. Also, I don't think I've seen Jeeyon Shim's games mentioned in here yet, but both Field Guide to Memory and Shape of Shadows (which is currently ongoing and might not be available for a little while) are really fun if you're into keepsake games and making artefacts of play.

DurianGray posted:

If anyone else here has pre-ordered or plans to get Cassandra Khaw's upcoming scifi/horror novel The All-Consuming World, there's a really neat pre-order bonus available:

https://www.erewhonbooks.com/the-all-consuming-world-preorder-exclusive

It's a solo/journaling/keepsake game by Jeeyon Shim. I've played a few of Shim's keepsake games now, and they're basically a series of journal prompts and activities that take you through a story while you create an artefact of play (sort of like a combination diary and scrapbook -- it can be as simple or intricate as you like). So if sounds like fun to you, and if the book sounds cool too, this is a really neat pre-order bonus!

As much I love the enamel pins that have been used a lot as pre-order bonuses recently, it's really cool to see a publisher branching out into something else entirely, too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just can't justify thirty bucks for a PDF game but I hear it's very good and I wish them all the luck in the world.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Yeah, it's definitely bit steep compared to most solo game prices I've seen. You do at least get a good amount of content (the Field Guide to Memory PDF is almost 140 pages). Playing them live, you'd get prompts 4-5 days a week and it lasts for 4 weeks or so. The prompts have taken me about from 15~ minutes to (more usually) a bit over an hour to complete and that's with a relatively bare-bones approach (I've seen some people go hog wild with embellishments that must take hours). But the downside is that since the story is so linear there probably isn't much replayability unless you tried to very consciously play your own character differently and create a very different sort of artefact.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

potatocubed posted:

If you're getting into solo games and you like creating artefacts of play, Wreck This Deck might be up your street.

Hey, wanted to say again thanks for bringing this one up. Really neat mix of a solo RPG and like a guided art project that I had some fun with over the weekend.

Also, I'm sure at some point I'll forget I've done this and some friend will stumble across this deck of cards with "DANGER DO NOT OPEN" scrawled on the outside and all kinds of hosed up cards with sigils and burns and stuff on them and I'll have some explaining to do.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Yeah, I ordered cards and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I've been trying Four Against Ragnarok after seeing it recommended in this thread and it feels a bit too easy? Like once you start to level a lot starts to feel very doable and I'm feeling like my characters are only going to start dying through things that instantly kill you via bad dice rolls. Combat seems too manageable.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Viridiant posted:

I've been trying Four Against Ragnarok after seeing it recommended in this thread and it feels a bit too easy? Like once you start to level a lot starts to feel very doable and I'm feeling like my characters are only going to start dying through things that instantly kill you via bad dice rolls. Combat seems too manageable.

I have this one lying around on my desk for 4 month or so now I have yet to start a game.

Care to elaborate a bit more on your session?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I received my fountain pen, journals, and playing cards today. I bought Wreck This Deck and Ironsworn: Delve off DriveThruRPG.

I just dug up a $25 gift card for barnes and noble, and I was curious if anyone knows of anything solo roleplaying related that they might carry. I searched for all the stuff on the first page of this thread, and didn't come up with anything. If not, I'll just get more stationary supplies.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I received my fountain pen, journals, and playing cards today. I bought Wreck This Deck and Ironsworn: Delve off DriveThruRPG.

I just dug up a $25 gift card for barnes and noble, and I was curious if anyone knows of anything solo roleplaying related that they might carry. I searched for all the stuff on the first page of this thread, and didn't come up with anything. If not, I'll just get more stationary supplies.
Classy candlestick, and it uses all those candles you budgeted...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I just ran across this and the concept made me laugh a lot:

You Are Quarantined With Adam Driver And He Is Insisting On Reading You His New Script

quote:

Amid a global crisis, you have been quarantined inside your home with Adam Driver, the actor. The circumstances behind how you were locked in your home with Adam Driver are unimportant for the purposes of this game, but you may want to think about them in your free time.

Adam Driver has not been idle during this time of isolation, and has written several scripts he is insisting you hear. Having nothing better to do, you decide to let him read them to you. Adam Driver has said he is looking forward to hearing your feedback, and you’re excited to discuss heady themes, symbolism, political, and philosophical concepts with the famous actor, Adam Driver.

There is one catch. Adam Driver is very very sensitive to critique, and while you value his work, you are concerned that your attempts to help him find his ideas and voice will be received as attacks, or that Adam Driver will respond with overt defensiveness. This would be bad, as you have to live alongside Adam Driver for the foreseeable future, and you don’t want to deny the world his work.

To play this game, you will need a twenty sided dice, some paper, and a strong mental image of the actor, Adam Driver.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Viridiant posted:

In Four against the Titans, the base level of everything you fight goes up as your party average level goes up, which keeps it harder. Also there's the Titan battles. I haven't lost a hero in my game, but it's been close at times.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Xlorp posted:

Classy candlestick, and it uses all those candles you budgeted...

The stationary, bargain bin playing cards and 2 pdfs really broke the bank.

EDIT:
VVVVVVV

Doctor Zero posted:

blank journal?

A type of stationary. I enjoy writing and art too. I'm going to use some stuff for making crafts, some for journaling, and some for playing games. A number of people I know keep encouraging me to create more stuff, and I'm hoping fun materials will actually encourage me to do so. I spent 76 bucks on writing/art materials that I'll be using for years to come, and less than 20 bucks on games. I really don't want to start a derail, but I find it strange that I've been called out for getting stuff that was recommended to me in this very thread.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

The stationary, bargain bin playing cards and 2 pdfs really broke the bank.

blank journal?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
ironsworn £0
ikea pencils £0
fancy notebooks £3600
dice app £0

someone who is good at solo roleplaying please help me, I can't bring myself to start writing in any of the notebooks I already own

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

90s Cringe Rock posted:

someone who is good at solo roleplaying please help me, I can't bring myself to start writing in any of the notebooks I already own

Ow, I'm attacked. Everything on hold even as I start thinking of new things to do solo. :smith:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
one thing that is handy, I find, is a door sign holder, one of the clear acrylic ones you slip a printed sheet in. you can throw a map or literally anything in there and draw or write whatever you like with non-permanent pens on top. there are other better ways to do it, I'm sure, but my workplace ordered a thousand too many and they're nice and rigid so they're usable when you're not at a table. you can also put like twenty sheets in there if you don't want your paper getting crumpled, they're handy for transporting reference/character sheets safely.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Ow, I'm attacked. Everything on hold even as I start thinking of new things to do solo. :smith:

spend less on games you will never play and stationary you will never use

all together now: NO

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

ironsworn £0
ikea pencils £0
fancy notebooks £3600
dice app £0

Just open one and scribble on the first few pages.

Once it has been soiled, continue with whatever it is you'd rather write in it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There is nothing wrong with spending money on things like this for heavens sake. Not unless it's causing you problems.

I actually have found this newish hobby to me is finally making me use the notebooks I've accumulated so hooray.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Megazver posted:

This is what I actually do, I just wanted to hurt people.

HopperUK posted:

There is nothing wrong with spending money on things like this for heavens sake. Not unless it's causing you problems.

I actually have found this newish hobby to me is finally making me use the notebooks I've accumulated so hooray.
Also yeah, congratulations to you and the other person who I hope bought some additional fun stationary with their b&n money.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

HopperUK posted:

It's a dril joke, if you missed it. It's okay to spend money.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

More seriously, it's actually been almost entirely free for me so far, just not successful.
Ironsworn (several failed starts from "just character creation" to "maybe 20 lines of text from starting to losing interest): $0
Starforged (one attempt made it as far as 3 sessions, the rest same as Ironsworn): $20 I think?
TYOV (actually kind of successful, but didn't finish my sole run and didn't have the repeat play value for me): $15
A couple Wretched and Alone hacks, including one that's disappointingly been taken down since: $0
And now I'm eyeing Blades in the Dark for solo troupe play to see if I can work through my RPG burnout, but I already own BitD from playing it with a group (unsuccessfully) so it may as well be a $0.

And all my tools are electronic and free for a mix of reasons, so I'm all of $35 in on solo games and I've gotten at least a few hours of what I'd call successful play out of it. Not the worst return on a hobby I've had, for sure.
Various issues holding me back from getting a lot more in there, but that's a whole other thing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's a dril joke, if you missed it. It's okay to spend money.

More seriously, it's actually been almost entirely free for me so far, just not successful.
Ironsworn (several failed starts from "just character creation" to "maybe 20 lines of text from starting to losing interest): $0
Starforged (one attempt made it as far as 3 sessions, the rest same as Ironsworn): $20 I think?
TYOV (actually kind of successful, but didn't finish my sole run and didn't have the repeat play value for me): $15
A couple Wretched and Alone hacks, including one that's disappointingly been taken down since: $0
And now I'm eyeing Blades in the Dark for solo troupe play to see if I can work through my RPG burnout, but I already own BitD from playing it with a group (unsuccessfully) so it may as well be a $0.

And all my tools are electronic and free for a mix of reasons, so I'm all of $35 in on solo games and I've gotten at least a few hours of what I'd call successful play out of it. Not the worst return on a hobby I've had, for sure.
Various issues holding me back from getting a lot more in there, but that's a whole other thing.

Yeah, there's a bunch of small solo RPG things that I backed off Kickstarter or bought off DriveThruRPG and some are good and some are "interesting to read the rules but I doubt I'll ever play" and some are so vague and nebulous that they're the equivalent of a high school writing prompt, but since they were all somewhere between $2 - $10 it's hard to be too mad about any of them.

I just use dirt-cheap composition books for everything, they're like two bucks at my local Rite-Aid. The whole solo RPG games thing is pretty inexpensive, aside from Ironsworn and Starforged which I actually ordered all the print materials for. And even that all-in is less than most board games on Kickstarter.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Yeah, I know I'm sensitive and I'm familiar with the dril tweet. Dunking on people/getting dunked on is part of the SA experience, and it's part of why it's so fun. Still pretty hyped about this stuff.

EDIT: At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to prove how Not Mad I am, only one journal was for games. The others are for other stuff in my life.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 24, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Megazver posted:

Nonono. You need one notebook for sketches, one for each game, one for ideas, one for interesting ideas, one for sketches of maps, because you don't want to sully the sketches one, one for story numbs and notes, actually one for story nubs and one more for notes, one for the todo list for each game, actually one per game is wrong, it should be one per character per game, one to sit and look pretty and you wouldn't dare touch it, okay two, okay five, one for uninteresting ideas, one for ideas that begin with the letter T..... ad infinitum

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I made a joke about cutesy twee animal RPGs being a thing https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1429179288402624516?s=21
And then uh… actually made the game. It’s a journaling RPG about being a hedgehog sweater salesman. Seemed fitting for this thread right now. https://hauntedoak.itch.io/sweaters-by-hedgehog

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Lol, my friend just sent me that joke and the game link because I've been going on about Apothecaria so much.

(He fits the description in the other tweet, PISSBARF THE BARBARIAN or whatever.)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I just bought the hedgehog sweater game and I'm gonna absolutely use my fountain pens and one of my stockpiled fancy little notebooks for it.

(For real though, these sorts of games have gotten me to use the goofy little notebooks and handful of fancy pens I already had and wasn't really using. And I'm very happy about that.)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I went through the Wreck This Deck pdf, and I like it. It's a fun presentation. I'm working my way through the Ironsworn books. I really enjoy learning a new system and the associated lore. I think I'll focus my creative energy on Ironsworn for now. I may experiment with Roll20 or the Augur client. In the meantime I'm enjoying journaling (my day-to-day personal journal) with the Metropolitan fountain pen. The slow pacing of my penmanship is a big departure from typing stuff up, and makes me approach writing differently. I'll work on penmanship and maybe a little calligraphy as I learn the mechanics of Ironsworn.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I bought the hardcopy of Apothacaria so will be giving it a go. I haven't really played journaling games before

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I went through the Wreck This Deck pdf, and I like it. It's a fun presentation. I'm working my way through the Ironsworn books. I really enjoy learning a new system and the associated lore. I think I'll focus my creative energy on Ironsworn for now. I may experiment with Roll20 or the Augur client. In the meantime I'm enjoying journaling (my day-to-day personal journal) with the Metropolitan fountain pen. The slow pacing of my penmanship is a big departure from typing stuff up, and makes me approach writing differently. I'll work on penmanship and maybe a little calligraphy as I learn the mechanics of Ironsworn.

Can you give a quick run down of how Wreck this Deck works?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Can you give a quick run down of how Wreck this Deck works?

I haven't actually tried it yet, but it seems like the basics are very simple. The essential rules are short and open-ended. Each of the four suits in the deck has a theme, and every single card as a unique and specific trait. Knowing virtually nothing about tarot cards, it seems a bit similar to that. You have various actions you can perform, such as fortune telling, rituals, trapping a demon, and hexing. Fortune telling seems very straightforward: you ask a question, and use the cards to guide the answer. You draw 3 random cards. Each one has a specific role: one relates to the situation, one relates to what's "on the surface", and one relates to "what's hidden." You consider the role of each of the 3 random cards, and use the corresponding traits on the table to interpret a meaning. Then you put that together to further your story. That's probably more detail for that step than is needed, but I think it's useful for contrasting it with the other actions.

Rituals, trapping demons, and hexing are all very open-ended. The short instruction guide gives you some basic guidelines, then encourages you to go online and see what other players are doing with the game using #WreckThisDeckRPG. You're encouraged to come up with your own rituals and share them. You're encouraged to bend rules to fit your ongoing story. There's one table of card traits, but you may perceive the traits of specific cards as changing over time. You modify the table to fit your story. Of course, you "wreck the deck" by modifying the individual cards over time. There are some guidelines for this, but you are encouraged to develop your own modifications for cards and share them. Depending on your level of involvement in the game, it seems like the cards themselves are more like characters in the game than static things.

Of course, there are the demons too. You harness their power for specific actions, but the power comes at a price. Failed rituals can loose the demons, or damage your cards. If you have too many demons in your deck, you may have trouble completing actions without using a demon card. You can tell the demon to not interfere by taping an X over the card, but it may cause you trouble anyway. Much of this is up to the player's interpretation and imagination. You can cast a hex too, but that involves destroying a card. The hex is more powerful if the card contains a demon.

The guide is only 13 pages. It seems less like a set of rules than a system for developing your own set of rules. I haven't read much about Ironsworn yet, but I get the impression this is a much less guided experience. It encourages doing your own research on the various demons and rituals, based on player-created content. This seems very appropriate and thematic to me. My original plan was to mess around with this until I get through the Ironsworn materials. After this writeup, I'm itching to play it right now.

EDIT: For some reason, googling the hashtag didn't come up with anything, but this link works: https://twitter.com/hashtag/WreckThisDeckRPG?src=hashtag_click. Looks like there is a community for this.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 25, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Uganda Loves Me posted:

The guide is only 13 pages. It seems less like a set of rules than a system for developing your own set of rules. I haven't read much about Ironsworn yet, but I get the impression this is a much less guided experience. It encourages doing your own research on the various demons and rituals, based on player-created content. This seems very appropriate and thematic to me. My original plan was to mess around with this until I get through the Ironsworn materials. After this writeup, I'm itching to play it right now.

EDIT: For some reason, googling the hashtag didn't come up with anything, but this link works: https://twitter.com/hashtag/WreckThisDeckRPG?src=hashtag_click. Looks like there is a community for this.

Yeah, as I think I said earlier in the thread, it feels like a mix of a really loose RPG and a guided art project. I've enjoyed it. You start by journaling the general community your character exists in and what problem they think they face. The general loop, as I've been playing it, is like 1. "fortunetell" (which is the basic equivalent of using oracle tables in something like Ironsworn) to see what the current situation is or what problem my character might be facing and then either 2. do a ritual using one of the demon cards I already created (journal the ritual methodology) and resolve whether it succeeded or journal the result if I failed (which might involve physically damaging the deck), or 3. If none of my current demons seem to apply, think up a new one and how to trap it in a card (which involves doing something creative to a card).

It's definitely looser than something like Ironsworn, but I find it really compelling in that you end up with this cool homemade physical object in the form of your deck that really embodies your play experience. I could see ending a "campaign" of this when I get sick of my current story, with my character dying as the result of a bad ritual or succeeding in his general goal, and then picking up the game again down the line and starting a new run but build off the same deck, saying someone else found it or whatnot.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, as I think I said earlier in the thread, it feels like a mix of a really loose RPG and a guided art project. I've enjoyed it. You start by journaling the general community your character exists in and what problem they think they face. The general loop, as I've been playing it, is like 1. "fortunetell" (which is the basic equivalent of using oracle tables in something like Ironsworn) to see what the current situation is or what problem my character might be facing and then either 2. do a ritual using one of the demon cards I already created (journal the ritual methodology) and resolve whether it succeeded or journal the result if I failed (which might involve physically damaging the deck), or 3. If none of my current demons seem to apply, think up a new one and how to trap it in a card (which involves doing something creative to a card).

It's definitely looser than something like Ironsworn, but I find it really compelling in that you end up with this cool homemade physical object in the form of your deck that really embodies your play experience. I could see ending a "campaign" of this when I get sick of my current story, with my character dying as the result of a bad ritual or succeeding in his general goal, and then picking up the game again down the line and starting a new run but build off the same deck, saying someone else found it or whatnot.

I've enjoyed your write-ups of various games. I like the idea of a "lose" condition and passing the deck on. Kind of like a roguelike with meta progression. I want to do something similar with the gaming journal. I think I'll start at the back and work my way forward with wreck this deck, and leave the front of the book free for another game. Doing something backwards seems fitting for a demonologist. I see this as an art project, where I want to end up with something fun to look at. I'm trying to figure out which of my art supplies will actually stick to a card right now. I'm actually thinking ink that smudges might be an interesting mechanic. Protect those sigils, or else.

EDIT:
VVVVV
Oh, those look cool. I like the idea of using sigils.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 26, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You could use the sigil-drawing rules from Sigils in the Dark to combine with Wreck This Deck in a fun way I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Maybe a little lighter in tone than Wreck This Deck calls for, but Everyday Sigils by Helvetica Blanc might also be some inspiration.