Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Thanks for the info!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

For a lot of hunting breeds there is a split between KC registered show stock and functional working stock. There's some crossover but for the vast majority of hunters looking to buy a GSP to go hunting with a KC CH means nothing to them. Are you looking for a pet GSP or a hunting GSP?

Family pet and outdoor work companion. I'd like to start hunting again but that's a year or two out from now. In the meantime, we've got a couple acres to run around on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Question about protecting my car interior from the pup.

After driving a shitbox with no AC I finally went out and got a brand new car. Gobi loves riding in the passenger seat and I clip his harness in to the buckle so it’s just long enough to let him hang out the window.

I keep his nails cut, but even so in the old car he left a lot of little scratches on the door panel (where he puts his front paws) and even some light scratches on the exterior, cause he likes to basically hang his head and front paws out the window.

I like driving him around, but now that I have a nicer car I don’t want thin scratching stuff up if I can help it. It also has sort-of bucket seats so he’s less stable now, so he’s sliding around a little more which means he’s more apt to accidentally scratch stuff.

Any products or something that may be able to help with this?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Question about protecting my car interior from the pup.

After driving a shitbox with no AC I finally went out and got a brand new car. Gobi loves riding in the passenger seat and I clip his harness in to the buckle so it’s just long enough to let him hang out the window.

I keep his nails cut, but even so in the old car he left a lot of little scratches on the door panel (where he puts his front paws) and even some light scratches on the exterior, cause he likes to basically hang his head and front paws out the window.

I like driving him around, but now that I have a nicer car I don’t want thin scratching stuff up if I can help it. It also has sort-of bucket seats so he’s less stable now, so he’s sliding around a little more which means he’s more apt to accidentally scratch stuff.

Any products or something that may be able to help with this?

One of those mechanics mats? his bodyweight will keep it down.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
There are seat covers designed pretty much exactly for this purpose. Search for "dog car seat covers" or similar. I have this one made for the back seat that is basically a hammock that attaches to the head rests on the front and back seats, but there are also covers for bucket seats.

E: not sure I've posted in this thread before, here are my beasties

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 19, 2021

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

cocoavalley posted:

There are seat covers designed pretty much exactly for this purpose. Search for "dog car seat covers" or similar. I have this one made for the back seat that is basically a hammock that attaches to the head rests on the front and back seats, but there are also covers for bucket seats.

E: not sure I've posted in this thread before, here are my beasties

I’m less concerned about the upholstery, and more about the actual inside of the passenger side door. The panel with the window button and the exterior paint right near the base of the passenger door handle.

Gobi really likes to hang out, basically putting his elbows on the door frame with head and chest out. With the bucket seats he puts his paws on the door panel and can scratch it, same with the paint on the outside. But there’s not really a way to cover this area, since it opens and closes.

I think my best bet might just be a booster seat. That way he can see out and then I can just not roll down the window. But he’s so squirmy in the car I may just have to keep him in the back seats.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Dog behavior question.

We frequently dogsit a Lab/Great Dane mix who is now scared of the grass in our back yard. He's stayed with us several times, and has had zero issues with the grass, but for whatever reason, he's now insisting on only walking around the perimeter of the yard (where one side has a strip of dead grass and the other sides are rocks/gardens), and absolutely won't go through the middle of the yard on his own, even if bribed with treats.

Nothing has changed with the grass or yard since he was last here, and he has zero issue going through grass in other yards (our front yard, or anything he goes by on a walk) so we're baffled as to what's going on.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 20, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of the dogs that are very scared of sliding glass doors because they bonked into one once. Or dogs that are scared of thresholds because they tripped over one once. I'd guess that this dog had 1 bad experience with your grass, or someone else's grass in a similar setup, and has made an overly-broad decision to just avoid it. You could try to train them out of it with desensitization training, if you really want to.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

azflyboy posted:

Dog behavior question.

We frequently dogsit a Lab/Great Dane mix who is now scared of the grass in our back yard. He's stayed with us several times, and has had zero issues with the grass, but for whatever reason, he's now insisting on only walking around the perimeter of the yard (where one side has a strip of dead grass and the other sides are rocks/gardens), and absolutely won't go through the middle of the yard on his own, even if bribed with treats.

Nothing has changed with the grass or yard since he was last here, and he has zero issue going through grass in other yards (our front yard, or anything he goes by on a walk) so we're baffled as to what's going on.

He could have gotten stung by a bug or something. Not a bad enough bite that anyone noticed, but enough to get him spooked.

Dogs can make weird associations. I had a dog get spooked by the sound of a kid bouncing a fully inflated basketball at the other side of a parking lot. Absolutely nothing happened, the kid never came near us. She didn't want to cut through that parking lot for months afterwards.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Dog behavior question.

My hound mutt does something similar. She hates poop.

The more she poops in the yard, the less yard she’ll use until she’ll only go about 2 feet out to pee. Eventually it snows or somehow resets in her mind. She much prefers to poop anywhere else. Keeping yard clear slows down the process, but doesn’t stop it.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

I’m less concerned about the upholstery, and more about the actual inside of the passenger side door. The panel with the window button and the exterior paint right near the base of the passenger door handle.

Gobi really likes to hang out, basically putting his elbows on the door frame with head and chest out. With the bucket seats he puts his paws on the door panel and can scratch it, same with the paint on the outside. But there’s not really a way to cover this area, since it opens and closes.

I think my best bet might just be a booster seat. That way he can see out and then I can just not roll down the window. But he’s so squirmy in the car I may just have to keep him in the back seats.

I would just keep an old towel and throw over the glass. Altho this might work less well if the window isn't all the way down. Can he handle those dog socks? Maybe try those.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://www.kurgo.com/car-seat-covers/car-door-guard?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh wow, that’s great! I looked through Kurgo but hadn’t seen it. That may be just the thing.

Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo is hunting rabbits!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

This is Coco, she's a Westie, she isn't afraid of anything. Hairdryer, vaccum cleaner or dishwasher.
Only thing she barked at was the shadow of her own tail.

I am happy but very tired. Nothing like waking up at 3 am to bring her out, only for her to chase my shoelaces for 15 min and then poop on the floor 1 min after we get inside.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 23, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Adorable

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The thing is, these are not his fetch/play toys, they are his chew toys. I’ll throw his fetch toys and he’ll play, but with these ones he’ll bring them and I think he wants me to hold them while he chews, but then he just looks at me.

Our old dog did that, and eventually got fed up with my obvious stupidity and started trying to shove them in my mouth.

He succeeded once. While I appreciated the spirit of sharing, the experience of a mushy veggie chew covered in Shep slobber was not to my liking.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Took Gobi to the dog park and he came over for water, so I knelt down and gave him some. A big black lab shoved over and started drinking, which is fine, and then Gobi tried to drink and it went psycho. Pinned him on the ground and bit him right under the eye. Nipped me too as I pulled Gobi out.

I picked him up and started leaving and the lab’s owner, who didn’t even get up from sitting at a table goes, “oh he never does that. Can I pet your dog?”

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Our little basketball head had fun playing outside earlier today before it rained.

Later on my girlfriend let him out while it was raining. He stood at the door and thought about it, then took a few steps outside onto the covered back porch. Then he decided against going into the yard and turned around and waited to be let back in. Clown.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Took Gobi to the dog park and he came over for water, so I knelt down and gave him some. A big black lab shoved over and started drinking, which is fine, and then Gobi tried to drink and it went psycho. Pinned him on the ground and bit him right under the eye. Nipped me too as I pulled Gobi out.

I picked him up and started leaving and the lab’s owner, who didn’t even get up from sitting at a table goes, “oh he never does that. Can I pet your dog?”

:(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If a dog owner just sits by while their dog gets into an altercation and then says “oh he never does that” that dog does that all the time.

It’s why I stopped going to dog parks. Over time it just got worse and drove out the responsible regulars and every visit was a gamble.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That's really lovely of them. I'll get on Jarvis if I see one of the other dogs trying to get away from his friendliness in a not playful way. I don't ever want him to be the one that makes other uncomfortable.

Last night he had a blast at the park. The only downside was the extremely friendly Mastiff mix I met. She was a sweetheart, but I had to take a shower when we got home.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm back with another food question. A couple years ago this thread put me on Purina Pro Plan and we've been giving our dog Bright Mind for dogs 7+. However we're bad dog owners and didn't read the ingredients closely enough and it turns out it has a couple sources of glucosamine in it, which our dog doesn't tolerate very well. I'm guessing it's a relatively low dose since we didn't notice, but we'd still like to switch her off. Does anyone know of any good foods for senior dogs (ours is 11) that don't have glucosamine? It seems like a lot of the ones for senior dogs specifically do have glucosamine.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Our dog park injury story was pretty good - our girl comes in real excited with newcomers. We can usually defuse problems by just leashing her for the initial meet to make sure everyone is okay with everyone, and just leaving if things feel off. Unfortunately, this other dog also comes in a little excited, but the owner for whatever reason dawdled in the "airlock" for, like, 5 minutes. Our dogs were just hyping each other up through the fence, and play immediately got too rough. Thank god it was our dog that came away bleeding, because she's definitely not perfectly behaved with other dogs.

But the bite was on her ear, so it bled. A lot. Probably a centimeter long, if that, but put out blood like nothing. And it was impossible to get it to stop bleeding. We had to wash the blood off her ear, and we'd hold it for a minute or two to clot it, but of course she'd give a firm shake as soon as she was free and reopen the wound. Our bathroom looked like a crime scene from Dexter.

PS Is it irresponsible for us to keep going to this dog park with a less than ideal dog? We're quick to leave when we start to see bad behavior from her, and she's had good romps a number of times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My opinion on that is if you're being vigilant and taking care to remove/de-escalate when it becomes necessary, then it's not a problem. Half the dog owners when we went to the park paid zero attention to their dogs and I'd be forced to intervene; sadly now my dog is the rear end in a top hat, grabs a ball, immediately goes under a bench and viciously guards his new found toy, we just stopped going because he just does not like 60% of other dogs at this point.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any tips for dealing with a landshark? Feet and hands are apparently sooooo much more fun than any toy.

Right now she has two modes: bite everything or passed out.

making GBS threads, peeing, barking, whining, biting, scratching. Wouldn't tolerate this from any person, but she is just so cute I can handle it.

I really had no idea what people said when they said puppies where hard work. I though I had.

Friend spent the whole evening before visiting making this for Coco

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for dealing with a landshark? Feet and hands are apparently sooooo much more fun than any toy.

Right now she has two modes: bite everything or passed out.

making GBS threads, peeing, barking, whining, biting, scratching. Wouldn't tolerate this from any person, but she is just so cute I can handle it.

I really had no idea what people said when they said puppies where hard work. I though I had.

Friend spent the whole evening before visiting making this for Coco

When they bite just turn away and isolate. Be careful not to make them think it's a game, esp with a terrier that's basically bred to think everything tiny is prey

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My neighbor got a puppy that ain't sleeping and it keeps setting off my dog.
It's 5am save I've been up on and off since 1230

The puppy makes a sound, wakes up my dog who then jumps into our bed and wakes us up, gets too hot and goes back to his bed and falls back asleep, and this. Keeps. Happening.
Nothing I can do, it's a puppy they just brought home like two days ago, I'm sure it will start sleeping through the night soon.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 28, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Redirect biting to something appropriate. If she's going after your hand, stick a toy in her mouth and make that way more fun. If pup refuses to be redirected it's time for a nap in a crate or x pen where she can't make bad decisions for a while. Make sure she's got an appropriate chew in there. Personally I don't mind gentle mouthing in play but the moment it got too hard the game was over and even my awful cattle dog has learned a gentle mouth. It also gets way better once they don't have those terrible puppy needle teeth.

Some people use the squeal to imitate another puppy but in all my dog that just gets them more excited to do some biting. When you bite the human makes a fantastic noise!!! Redirect or disengage works the best for these dogs imo.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Redirect biting to something appropriate. If she's going after your hand, stick a toy in her mouth and make that way more fun. If pup refuses to be redirected it's time for a nap in a crate or x pen where she can't make bad decisions for a while. Make sure she's got an appropriate chew in there. Personally I don't mind gentle mouthing in play but the moment it got too hard the game was over and even my awful cattle dog has learned a gentle mouth. It also gets way better once they don't have those terrible puppy needle teeth.

Some people use the squeal to imitate another puppy but in all my dog that just gets them more excited to do some biting. When you bite the human makes a fantastic noise!!! Redirect or disengage works the best for these dogs imo.

This pretty much is what I did with my recent pup. It was pretty bad for a while and I and my family still have some scars and torn clothes to prove it, but it seems to have gotten a lot better and for us I tie that to her getting in her grown up teeth in addition to the above training. Still happens now and then but nothing like it was. Puppies certainly are a handful.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oven mitts. Puppies *love* oven mitts.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, redirection is really the best way. We got Jarvis a lot less bitey by always having a chewable toy at hand, and when he starts to get rough, redirect with the toy and "toy". He does better now, but at 6 months, he's still in the "experience everything with my mouth" phase.

And yeah, it gets a LOT more tolerable for bite training when the needle teeth are gone. I was starting to get really tired of donating blood to puppy play.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 29, 2021

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
any advice for dog vomiting in the car? Trips to the dog beach are like 8 min and she vomits both ways regardless if she ate. She's 10 months and Google says it gets better when they're older?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

any advice for dog vomiting in the car? Trips to the dog beach are like 8 min and she vomits both ways regardless if she ate. She's 10 months and Google says it gets better when they're older?

When I was a little kid I'd get nauseous in cars, and what worked for me was pulling my jacket over my head. Years later I learned that motion sickness can be caused by your eyes and your inner ear sending conflicting information about your position to your brain. Your brain thinks maybe you ate the bad mushrooms and are hallucinating, so it makes you vomit to get rid of the bad mushrooms.

Since it is such a very short trip, you could try a carrier with a blanket thrown over it so she can't see anything about her position or movement. That could help if motion sickness is the cause of her vomiting.

Good luck.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, redirection is really the best way. We got Jarvis a lot less bitey by always having a chewable toy at hand, and when he starts to get rough, redirect with the toy and "toy". He does better now, but at 6 months, he's still in the "experience everything with my mouth" phase.

And yeah, it gets a LOT more tolerable for bite training when the needle teeth are gone. I was starting to get really tired of donating blood to puppy play.

Yeah, trying redirection but at her worst she will drop any toy to go for a feet or hand. Also just going away and ignoring her is hard when she is running after you trying to eat your foot.

Crating is illegal here, but we close a gate to our bedroom to keep her close when we sleep, would moving her to the bedroom and ignoring for a while make sense?

She is just 9 weeks old. Last night and this morning she went crazy and her biting is starting to hurt. She is like 30-60 min batshit and then sleeps for a few hours.

I guess it will improve, but pretty rough right now haha.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, trying redirection but at her worst she will drop any toy to go for a feet or hand. Also just going away and ignoring her is hard when she is running after you trying to eat your foot.

Crating is illegal here, but we close a gate to our bedroom to keep her close when we sleep, would moving her to the bedroom and ignoring for a while make sense?

She is just 9 weeks old. Last night and this morning she went crazy and her biting is starting to hurt. She is like 30-60 min batshit and then sleeps for a few hours.

It's tough and constant.

It's really worse than kids, honestly. Having done both.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sistergodiva posted:

OVEN MITT

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like an oven mitt will still teach them that the wiggly thing at the end of your arms is a toy and is fun to bite.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They know that anyway. At least with an oven mitt you can slap 'em around and have some protection.

After a while those teeth go out, the less-sharp ones go in and in a year or so they can gently gnaw on your hand like a massage :) Worked for Tater at least, and it's saving me a lot of pain with Abby.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
It would work if you're still teaching bite inhibition and correcting when they bite the oven mitt too hard, but I would be worried about not being able to feel if they're getting into it too much. If not then when you take the oven mitt off the dog is going to be confused as to why you are so delicate all of a sudden. Guess it would depend on the oven mitt. I just used my hand and corrected the harder bites even if they were on clothes or didn't really hurt. We had Gordie's mouth pretty soft when he still had his puppy teeth and when those fell out his mouth turned to butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m trying to go on vacation this weekend so I’m trying to get Gobi into doggy daycare. You have to let them stay a few hours to make sure they’re not vicious or whatever.

I dropped him off and was looking at the webcam and he was in a big room with a bunch of dogs his size (25 pounds) romping around. He doesn’t bite but he throws his weight around when he’s playing and he’s really muscled and thick.

I looked again about half an hour later and he was gone. Checked the cameras and they moved him to the large dog room with a bunch of 90 pound labs, lol