Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The solution to the method seen here was the Lady Godiva Device, which allowed you to do this test remotely

Seen here is Godiva I, which also had an incident which resulted in warping parts of the device from heat/neutron exposure. Thankfully, the device was operated remotely with the operators receiving minimal exposures. It had two incidents like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godiva_device

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I assume that if something went wrong it would fail into the negative position.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MasterBuilder posted:

I assume that if something went wrong it would fail into the negative position.

Yes, for the most part it failed in a SCRAM position. Also: The Demon Core and the setups for the Lady Godiva Device are what are referred to as "Pulsed Reactors", they do not continuously operate, so even if you have an incident, the reaction cannot stay supercritical (i.e. enough neutrons are present to allow fission rate to climb) and generally cycle in and out of super and sub criticality. They are really meant to just be neutron sources (like the Godiva Device) or to verify criticality (in the Demon Core's case).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s cool if the uranium heats up and that halts the reaction. What you don’t want to do is get the rest of the structure hot enough to go floppy.

quote:

With Topsy still in operation, a second critical assembly for basic studies, Lady Godiva (she was unclad, like the lady), began operation in 1951. This essentially bare sphere of enriched uranium, simpler than the two-component Topsy, had not been planned earlier because of undetermined sensitivity to outside influence—facetiously, even the effect of a fly alighting on the surface. The critical size was established earlier by means of a near-critical pseudosphere set up on the Comet machine. The Lady Godiva sphere, on the Elsie machine, was subdivided into a stationary central section with retractable upper and lower caps (Fig. 8). The central section contained a diametral glory hole with fillers, and channels for two highly enriched uranium control rods. Compensation for openings in the glory hole was provided by mass-adjustment buttons of enriched uranium that fit into recesses in the spherical caps. Lightweight component mounts resulted in
small extraneous reflection.

By late 1962, the usual critical characteristics of Lady Godiva had been thoroughly established. Calibration of control rods and mass-adjustment buttons, and the reactivity equivalence of enriched uranium as a function of radius provided the means of correction to an idealized sphere (i.e., without surface irregularities or nonuniformities). Other features of the standard survey were extensive. In addition, however, positive periods were measured throughout 97% of the interval between delayed and prompt criticality. Because extrapolation was predictable, plans to investigate the behavior of Lady Godiva in the neighbortiood of prompt criticality were then formulated.

Here, the account of Lady Godiva must be interrupted to introducethe second kiva, a result of the original kiva becoming overloaded to the extent of frequent three-shift operation. Kiva 2 was occupied a t th e beginning of 1953. After Lady Godiva was moved to the second kiva, its operationwas extended gingerly into t h e prompt-critical region with t h e result that superprompt-critical radiation pulses (Fig. 9) were being produced by mid-1953. These sharp, intense pulses were terminated by thermal expansion of the assembly. At one stage, Lady Godiva was moved outdoors and elevated well above the ground (Fig. 10) to eliminate the effect on pulse shape of room-return neutrons. The resulting shapes agreed with calculation.

Although intended initially to confirm predicted superprompt-critical behavior, the sharp, intense pulses were immediately in demand as sources for biological studies (Fig. 11), solid-state experiments, and proof tests of instrumentation and controls that were supposed to withstand radiation from a nuclear explosion. The result was that Lady Godiva became a radiation source and produced a total of about 1000 of the prompt-radiation bursts— but not without incident. Twice the delicate limit beyond prompt criticality that could be tolerated was exceeded. The first, which occurred in February 1954, warped uranium parts slightly but not sufficiently to prevent further operation. The second, 3 years later, was more extreme. It produced severe warping and oxidation of parts and damaged the lightweight supports (Fig. 12). As a result. Lady Godiva was retired and replaced by Godiva II, a sturdier bare U(93) assembly designed specifically for prompt-burst production.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/6211144

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Platystemon posted:

The central section contained a diametral glory hole with fillers

Glory hole filler in the nuke room seems like an extremely dangerous job.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I can hear my Sea of Thieves crew yelling at me for hitting land while trying to finesse and coast into my parking spot.

Come on guys, it's just like one board.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fun fact: glory hole is originally a mining term and thus a good subject for this thread!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Fun fact: glory hole is originally a mining term and thus a good subject for this thread!

What does it mean in a mining context?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

In some mines, in the men's bathroom, there's a hole cut into the side of the stall and

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In some mines, in the men's bathroom, there's a hole cut into the side of the stall and

Going straight for the gold, I see.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Some rich and thick veins there I've heard :wink:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUla_YuEVpk

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A glory hole with sharp edges is pretty OSHA depending on your occupation.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Keep miners away from glory holes, please.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

There is a wikipedia page and section on another page about the mining glory holes, but if that post was a ploy to make my dumb rear end click on the main glory hole article straight from my google search and see a big ol' honkin hard dick coming out of a wall, then well played.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

I've heard it used on ships as well. It refers to any compartment with only a single entrance or exit, via a ladder and hatch in the ceiling. They're usually seen in the far forward part of ships, for structural reasons. Or spaces that aren't regularly accessed by crew, like fuel and water tanks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna link this cause it’s disturbing. Guy gets hit by a bus, picks himself up, dusts himself off, and continues on into the Pub for drinks like he gives a gently caress.

https://imgur.com/gallery/v9o3YPw

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qycuocvR0W1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qycuwhCWmw1r0uzl6.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Gonna link this cause it’s disturbing. Guy gets hit by a bus, picks himself up, dusts himself off, and continues on into the Pub for drinks like he gives a gently caress.

British version of crocodile Dundee.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Good on him for not taking off his kneecaps/toes/balls.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I don't think you'll be able to guess the end of this.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7000111249363127557

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cartoon Man posted:

Linked this in a goon game discord because we have a few euros in there, I guess it's a well known thing, the pub is the Turtle, and apparently one of the goons met their wife there!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Woozie66 posted:

I don't think you'll be able to guess the end of this.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7000111249363127557

I was able to guess because she put it in the caption.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The solution to the method seen here was the Lady Godiva Device, which allowed you to do this test remotely

Seen here is Godiva I, which also had an incident which resulted in warping parts of the device from heat/neutron exposure. Thankfully, the device was operated remotely with the operators receiving minimal exposures. It had two incidents like this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godiva_device

I thought the whole point of that "experiment" was to play chicken with a criticality accident.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Rebel Blob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqfyUJDzWrQ

We know what book the owner of the sailboat hasn't read.

It also illustrates how very old some Great Lakes shipping is. Towards the end the camera zooms in on Cuyahoga and you can see that hull is riveted together like the frickin' Titanic instead of welded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s coming up on her eightieth birthday, and if she went twenty years beyond that, it would not set a record.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that because freshwater is gentler on the metal?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

In some port cities around the Great Lakes there are a few lake freighter museum ships; they're worth seeing if you have even a mild interest in big ships.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just know how to avoid them

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yup, one ship was laid down in 1898 and wasn't scrapped until 2010.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

It's partly that and mostly that the Jones Act requires any replacements to be built on US soil so lmao they are going to run those hulls into absolute dust before they pay $Navy prices for another one

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fornax Disaster posted:

It also illustrates how very old some Great Lakes shipping is. Towards the end the camera zooms in on Cuyahoga and you can see that hull is riveted together like the frickin' Titanic instead of welded.

What kind of ship is this?
CUYAHOGA (IMO: 5166392) is a Self Discharging Bulk Carrier that was built in 1943 (78 years ago) and is sailing under the flag of Canada.
It’s carrying capacity is 15850 t DWT and her current draught is reported to be 6 meters. Her length overall (LOA) is 184.4 meters and her width is 18.34 meters.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mobby_6kl posted:

I just know how to avoid them

YOU READ THE BOOK?!?! Awesome.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kimihia posted:

It’s hard to find parking for a helicopter.

Where Colani got his inspiration.

EDIT: Or The Highwayman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I85a7zqrCo&t=195s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wtf if you’re making the window round anyway use the superior solution.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I thought the whole point of that "experiment" was to play chicken with a criticality accident.

Effectively, yes. How else do you get the good data?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CommieGIR posted:

Effectively, yes. How else do you get the good data?

post/av combo right here.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cross post from the meme thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Scholtz posted:

Cross post from the meme thread: