Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

Also TT runs give you half credit, but that's kind of boring.

True but you don't have to worry about any fuckups except your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Banzai 3 posted:

As someone who had never done an endurance race before 2020 and now probably qualifies as a serious driver of them, if you are at all interested, I recommend this so strongly. If you are curious about them, you have to get a start somewhere, and this is a great group for it and time to do it. There’s really nothing quite like being in a 24 hour race. It’s fun, and also made me way more interested in the WEC.

Also, I am Lead Clown according to the Discord, and there’s still plenty of room left in this car.

I will add even if you aren't interested, check it out at least once. I admittedly wasn't very interested when I started sim racing, now I almost exclusively race enduros.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Am I the only one who likes Long Beach?

Raced it in the porsche cup car yesterday and got my first postive Irating and safety rating bump since coming back at the track which probably colours my opinion. Would have been a 0x race if someone hadn't failed to navigate the corner and spun into me as they went back across the racing line.

Seems like if you can avoid the murder you can place pretty highly. Even though I literally ended up parked on the first lap waiting for someone to get off the track when they spun and I wound up dead last initially.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Carth Dookie posted:

Raced it in the porsche cup car yesterday and got my first postive Irating and safety rating bump since coming back at the track which probably colours my opinion. Would have been a 0x race if someone hadn't failed to navigate the corner and spun into me as they went back across the racing line.

Seems like if you can avoid the murder you can place pretty highly. Even though I literally ended up parked on the first lap waiting for someone to get off the track when they spun and I wound up dead last initially.

I’ve been doing it in the USF series and I love it. It’s definitely an attrition course, besides that it’s just fun to drive. Little bumpy in spots but I guess that’s to be expected.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I really like long beach on skippies. Less so on GT3.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I absolutely cannot get the hang of the hairpin, miss it every time, even though I'm going way slower than everyone else.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I absolutely cannot get the hang of the hairpin, miss it every time, even though I'm going way slower than everyone else.

Dunno what its like in other series but for the porsche cup the trick seems to be to enter so far on the left that your left side is on the rumble strip and then just yolo it to the right.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I know it may seem obvious, but are you turning your wheel enough? It’s more common than you might think to under-steer on that hairpin. I usually have to change hand position.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's quite possible. On a single monitor I have no feedback on the line I'm taking until I either hit the inside wall or hit or miss the outside wall.

The USF is particularly bad because the fixed setup is so unsuitable for long beach, there's a bump about halfway through the corner that feels like you're hitting a wall with how stiff it is. I'm usually pretty crossed up, and I'm not sure how much lock is left in that car in particular, but I might give a try later on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

All the cars I like to drive get bounced around and offline really easily on that track. Its not a game problem it's a me (Mario) problem, but it makes for less enjoyable driving.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Could I ask for some tips on driving the MX5? I find it incredibly hard to carry through corners with grace and speed when I'm accelerating, so I just end up letting off the throttle to sort of throw it in. I just cant seem to get it to hustle

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm very proud of myself for putting down a 1:17 (barely) at WG in the iR-01.

fps_nug posted:

Could I ask for some tips on driving the MX5? I find it incredibly hard to carry through corners with grace and speed when I'm accelerating, so I just end up letting off the throttle to sort of throw it in. I just cant seem to get it to hustle

MX5 is all about momentum and finding the right line. If your car is settled and you have a good line, you can carry the speed. Don't try to manhandle it - slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Throttle in a continuous radius curve should be slight tailbraking coming in and early (but smooth) coming out.

On the other hand, I'm bad so maybe don't listen to me.

Edit: So close :negative:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 27, 2021

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I bought a g29, a wheel stand, and iRacing and whoooo boy do I suck at driving the MX5 around Oran South. Something about that last corner throws me every single time.

That said I’m having an absolute blast when I’m not getting frustrated by that track. Lime Rock Park is a lot easier to manage.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

As a person who enjoys the 911cup,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHU_9LzvYY

:getin:

Also,

Greg West posted:

With the Season 4 2021 release, members will see notable updates to the manner in which LMP1, LMP2, GTE, GT3, and Supercars are able to repair damage.

The systems updated include both steering and aerodynamic damage. The user experience should now be greatly improved notably in endurance races where steering can be completely repaired so the steering wheel is straight while aerodynamic damage can be repaired as well. The end result is an accident may require a lengthy pitstop but the car will have the opportunity to be competitive after the repairs have taken place.

We are excited to have these updates applied in time for the Bathurst 1000 and Petit Le Mans special events that are the next endurance events on the calendar.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 27, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

fps_nug posted:

Because the mx-5 cup is the free tier, there is a TON of content on youtube with track-by-track guides for the mx-5 which are mostly current + good. You might find that you're apexing too early in the corners which makes it rough to get on the power out of it.

Viper_3000 posted:

I bought a g29, a wheel stand, and iRacing and whoooo boy do I suck at driving the MX5 around Oran South. Something about that last corner throws me every single time.

That said I’m having an absolute blast when I’m not getting frustrated by that track. Lime Rock Park is a lot easier to manage.

I would say focus on getting a lot of your braking done (most) in a straight line, lined up on the right side of the track before that corner. Coming through that chicane you want to let yourself naturally come to the right, and once your car is straightened up brake hard once you're stable and look for the apex which is kinda high up on the left. Once you're comfortably making the corner I would suggest starting to trail brake that and at the experienced level even dipping the front left wheel just slightly off the track.

For both posters I quoted - whenever I see that I'm off the pace in a certain track/car, I join a practice and look at the results and then hop into the fastest person's cockpit view and let them take you for a lap (unknowingly). This is without a doubt one of the best ways to learn and you'll be blown away sometimes at the gains you can make. A lot of the time it'll be stuff like you're a gear lower than you need to be for a corner, but sometimes people are taking lines that are quite different from what you've been doing and you can easily get a second or more improvement. In real life track driving this is how people learn.

It's really exciting to see new people getting into it and I encourage you to get in the Bearpope discord. I started last November and it's been amazing, the people in the discord are extremely nice and helpful.

Oh, adjust your FoV, by default it's hugely off and you'll find it well worth your time to get your FoV fixed, it's in the options menu (there's a calculator which asks you for distance to your screen, screen size, etc).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I wonder what will happen to the old Porsche cup car and series with the new GT3 car coming in.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

from what I've seen, it's going to become legacy content, anyone who bought it within the last 2 years will get a $12 credit. the cup car series will use the new one

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bsamu posted:

from what I've seen, it's going to become legacy content, anyone who bought it within the last 2 years will get a $12 credit. the cup car series will use the new one

Mixed feelings about that. I like that the current cup car is such a handful and I doubt the new GT3 car will be like that as I expect ABS and traction control, but oh well. I wonder if the new series will hold its popularity or if people just go well it's a GT3 car now might as well just do the fanatec GT3 challenge.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

Mixed feelings about that. I like that the current cup car is such a handful and I doubt the new GT3 car will be like that as I expect ABS and traction control, but oh well. I wonder if the new series will hold its popularity or if people just go well it's a GT3 car now might as well just do the fanatec GT3 challenge.

The upcoming "new 911 GT3 Cup" is distinct from the "new 911 GT3R" which was released in the current season. The cup car is just the newest (992) generation of the current (991) cup car. It's distinct from the 911 GT3R which is built to the FIA GT3 regs.

The new cup car will probably be very similar to the old cup car, but... newer? It'll have the same lack of driver aids, etc, but maybe drive a bit differently or have different tuning options.

e: Porsche just happens to have a car called the GT3 while at the same time, the FIA has a class of grand touring cars called GT3

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ah ok that sounds good.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think I’m going to miss Long Beach. It taught me a hell of a lot more than Red Bull did, and I’m now consistently getting right around 1:22, qualifying in the top 5, and have generally been able to keep it up there. Really satisfying to get a quick lap on, especially while fighting near the top.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Finally picked up a wheel so I could start playing iRacing. Already had a Rift and goddamn is the immersion incredible. Too bad I am absolute dog poo poo at racing so I suppose I’ll just drive around in test mode for 1000 laps until I can finally keep the fuckin mx-5 on the track

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Honestly, you'll be better off in practice with other people, that you can watch and try what they're doing. No one's fantastic at it in rookies and that's where you're supposed to make your mistakes. As long as you don't do boneheaded Forza public lobby poo poo and get yourself banned, you'll be much better off by immersing yourself in the racing rather than hotlapping for eternity.

What I'm saying is you're paying for the racing simulator service, get out there and make mistakes and learn how to race.

Longest walk is from the practice tee to the first hole, and you're paying to use the whole course, get out there and go gently caress up and learn from it. Rookies is messy but you'll learn a ton more from driving around and racing real people. By loving up and learning from it you'll get better and when you do get better your SR and skill will improve with it and then when you're ready, try one of the D class series with a free car (production car challenge also uses the MX-5)

You literally can't be worse than Rookie (and once you leave Rookie you can't go back down to Rookie), so the only risk is getting banned by doing stupid dangerous poo poo. Race like the car is real and the consequences of being a dangerous idiot are real and you'll do great.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 1, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, just get the gently caress in there. Let us know how it goes!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Also come do hosted races with us on Discord every friday/sunday.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Race like the car is real and the consequences of being a dangerous idiot are real and you'll do great.

This. I obsessed over track times and stuff for a while when preparing for rookie MX-5 races, always comparing myself to best possible laps like "okay so I have a full 2 seconds I can still find here... after another 100-200 laps I should be ready for this weeks race", but now I just drive the track enough to be familiar with it (and not crash/spin out inside 10-20 laps) and dive in. As long as you treat the car with respect and manage crash avoidance, you'll find yourself hitting top 5's every time, if not podium. You can hot lap over and over again until you're on the perfect racing line, but I can just about guarantee you won't be on that line 90%+ of the time in a real race since you'll be battling for position.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

That's all some great advice, I'll stop being a chicken poo poo and just join up on practice sessions

Fellblade posted:

Also come do hosted races with us on Discord every friday/sunday.

I will definitely do this.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

hello internet posted:

That's all some great advice, I'll stop being a chicken poo poo and just join up on practice sessions

As another newish (raced acc leagues) person, make sure you also practice taking the non racing line. Figure out brake points for the inside and outside lines, it will help you when you are racing and need to get around people. Also AI racing is pretty good for practice with other cars on the field outside of practice lobby's.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just don't fall into the trap of bullying the AI like it's not a real person, make sure to, again, drive like the car is real and you're paying for it, and you'll get usable experience from AI racing, although AI don't race you quite as hard into T1 as real people.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Just race. Even at their rookie Mx-5 worst you learn way more from real people. If you are even half aware and considerate of other drivers you will outperform the field. Also race rookie street stocks even if you don’t care about ovals.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

So far I am really liking the Formula Vee on Oran. After practicing about 100 laps I managed to place 3rd out of 12 and qualifying 2nd in my first actual race. It helped a lot racing with other players because they would take corners a little more cautiously so you didn't have to push it past your limits

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hello internet posted:

So far I am really liking the Formula Vee on Oran. After practicing about 100 laps I managed to place 3rd out of 12 and qualifying 2nd in my first actual race.

100 laps in the F-Vee is like 700 hours of driving how did you find the time???

Jokes aside it's probably great practice for controlling throttle and braking for the later cars.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

100 laps in the F-Vee is like 700 hours of driving how did you find the time???

Jokes aside it's probably great practice for controlling throttle and braking for the later cars.

Each lap is like 50 seconds give or take.

Edit: woosh haha

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wimpy open-wheelers are great because I'm too poo poo at driving to reach half the potential of the fast ones.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

hello internet posted:

Finally picked up a wheel so I could start playing iRacing. Already had a Rift and goddamn is the immersion incredible. Too bad I am absolute dog poo poo at racing so I suppose I’ll just drive around in test mode for 1000 laps until I can finally keep the fuckin mx-5 on the track

I’ll be a little contrarian to the main opinion. Watch a video of the optimal line and then practice until you can keep it pointed in the right direction on the track for 3-4 laps consistently (don’t worry too much about pace here), then go race people. That’s been my strategy and it’s worked out fairly well, as it lets me build a little bit of confidence that I’m not just going to wreck someone’s day because I don’t know the track.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Imo practice sessions would be where you practice though. Don't practice in test sessions, you want to be able to have cars around, see how other people are finding time (by looking at their live cockpit cam), etc.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

yeah go into a practice session and check who is fastest and watch their fastest lap using the replays from the driver's seat.

It'll tell you line and what gear and braking zones roughly.

It won't tell you fuel load or setup, but at least its a start.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I love placing second in a race and losing safety rating because of getting rear ended twice in the last turn of Oran by people who were going to crash anyways as well as people a lap down racing as hard as they can

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

hello internet posted:

I love placing second in a race and losing safety rating because of getting rear ended twice in the last turn of Oran by people who were going to crash anyways as well as people a lap down racing as hard as they can

Finishing position has no bearing on SR. But yes it’s annoying when someone a lap down doesn’t have the awareness to let a lead lap car by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Finishing position has no bearing on SR. But yes it’s annoying when someone a lap down doesn’t have the awareness to let a lead lap car by.

Yeah I know but the moral victory is nice. Does iRating continue to update behind the scenes during rookies before it’s actually displayed?

hello internet fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 5, 2021