Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
If hospitalizations exceed 100% capacity and distrust of the medical process becomes widespread, there is a danger that the United States will enter what historians call The Fool Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I have tickets to the October 24th show

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Ice Phisherman posted:

The "COEXIST" sign on a car, except the O is a covid virus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I just find it funny that the ivermectin cartons have pictures of horses on them

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Has any country outside of war ever had a complete, simultaneous nationwide collapse of its healthcare system?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pepperoneedy posted:

Has any country outside of war ever had a complete, simultaneous nationwide collapse of its healthcare system?

1990s Russia?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

We will obliterate Canada and every Canucks one day soon

yea exactly. One less American is one less that will invade us for our water in 20 years.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the C should be a hammer and sickle

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

THE JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! POST HAS FOUND A PERMANENT HOME IN A NEW THREAD SO I DONT HAVE TO POST IT CONSTANTLY. PLEASE VIEW IT FOR YOUR WFH NEEDS. THANK YOU!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977556

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

trump

won

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Blackhawk posted:

68 new cases in NZ today, up from 62 yesterday but good to see the rise is very slow now. 9 days into lockdown we'd expect to see the numbers start to come down in the next few days.

Also some interesting stats from the government. Of the 62 cases yesterday 37 of them were just people living in the same household as an existing case also getting pozzed. Of the 494 listed locations of interest only 13 have so far resulted in transmission. So those are pretty encouraging to me, Auckland will def be in level 4 lockdown for another week or two at this rate but I don't think we're going to go full NSW.

Have you seen any statistical analysis? What's the r0 look like? It really sucked that you guys locked down so hard and fast, but still missed the initial case.

Blackhawk posted:

In what way? It's pretty clear that with delta you're going to give it to everyone in your household, so you'd expect those cases and because everyone is already isolating the spread is going to be limited to the number if people in the household. I don't know if we've actually seen a single case of non-household transmission since lockdown pop up yet, the vast majority of locations of interest are from pre-lockdown and as far as I know all of the current non-family transmission cases have taken place prior to lockdown.

So we'd expect to have caught almost all of the pre-lockdown infection cases pretty soon and then there will be a gradual reduction in new cases as all of the post-lockdown family transmissions are detected. Sewerage testing across the extent of the country that can be tested has so far only been popping positive in areas with known cases so it doesn't seem like there have been any major clusters or locations missed either.

That's really great. Seems like the vast majority of NZ supports the lockdown so I'm hopeful you guys can last till you get it all the pre-lockdown cases.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

THE JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! POST HAS FOUND A PERMANENT HOME IN A NEW THREAD SO I DONT HAVE TO POST IT CONSTANTLY. PLEASE VIEW IT FOR YOUR WFH NEEDS. THANK YOU!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977556

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Blackhawk posted:

In what way? It's pretty clear that with delta you're going to give it to everyone in your household, so you'd expect those cases and because everyone is already isolating the spread is going to be limited to the number if people in the household. I don't know if we've actually seen a single case of non-household transmission since lockdown pop up yet, the vast majority of locations of interest are from pre-lockdown and as far as I know all of the current non-family transmission cases have taken place prior to lockdown.

So we'd expect to have caught almost all of the pre-lockdown infection cases pretty soon and then there will be a gradual reduction in new cases as all of the post-lockdown family transmissions are detected. Sewerage testing across the extent of the country that can be tested has so far only been popping positive in areas with known cases so it doesn't seem like there have been any major clusters or locations missed either.

Does NZ post full isolation status of cases? Which communities and workplaces is it in?

In your favour you don't have lockdown fatigue and have strong public support for the measures but those are big numbers you put up. Nowhere in Australia has contained a delta outbreak that has reached 30 cases a day.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

6 hours into Pfizer 3: I can feel the spikes

Lymph nodes upto something, feeling kinda feverish, enjoying the come up, respecting the journey, embracing the void.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Atrocious Joe posted:

1990s Russia?

You've a point there. I'm sure they came out the other side just f---

Oh, oh I see

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Jfc you dumb rear end in a top hat doctors a patient having a headache doesn't mean they have a loving venous thromboembolism how do you even jump to that being your first diagnosis? Good loving god hey how about you do something about their uncontrolled diabetes and stage 3 renal failure and see if that does anything for the headache.

Hospitals are full cause doctors don't understand KISS applies to medicine too. You're not dr. House, your patient doesn't have some rare hard to diagnosis disease that you're going to crack the case and be the hero.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

WampaLord posted:

my mom got her 3rd shot the other day and her only side effect was arm soreness

proud to be the son of Maxine Titers

:unsmith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Goodbye horses
Dewormer shortage too

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cr0y posted:

Lymph nodes upto something, feeling kinda feverish, enjoying the come up, respecting the journey, embracing the void.

Rock it

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

cr0y posted:

i got my #3 pfizer on monday and my arm pit node pain has been horrible. bad night sweats too. good luck

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

euphronius posted:

lmao that we are all crack pinging again

I'm prob getting fired.

HR clarified that the covid sick policy that boss emailed the company actually expired the day following that email. so gently caress me. Cool poo poo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

cr0y posted:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

is there anything to these reports that moderna has fewer breakthrough cases?

if so, then moderna x3 seems like a power move

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pepperoneedy posted:

India like 4 months ago and we learned nothing from it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1430549427794718721?s=21

Apparently he is also Kyle Rittenhouse’s lawyer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Captain Magic posted:

If hospitalizations exceed 100% capacity and distrust of the medical process becomes widespread, there is a danger that the United States will enter what historians call The Fool Zone.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thesaurus posted:

is there anything to these reports that moderna has fewer breakthrough cases?

if so, then moderna x3 seems like a power move

it could be an artifact of only the US really using moderna and not enough long term data being available vs. a place like israel that has been pfizering up and collecting data for longer

in general though, i'd be hesitant to say one mrna vax gives you leeway to eat more brunch vs. the other... neither are good for brunching without care right now.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm actually shocked we haven't seen insane spread here in the great lakes, we've been essentially complete biden since may 2020. (in-person) schools open next week so maybe that'll be the flint for the tinder, but like at the same time given how every bar and restaurant is packed all it would've taken is some plaguebearers from the south traveling here to ignite spread? what's holding delta up here?

Business Gorillas posted:

furiously banging my pots and pans on the banks of the ohio river to motivate kentucky's first responders

:smug:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

19th Airborne got him instead.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/back-to-s...XIOVIWTEKD5W4U/

quote:

NA board meeting shut down early after unruly parents refuse to comply with wearing masks

ALLEGHENY COUNTY, Pa. — The arguments started before the doors were even open for the North Allegheny school board meeting Wednesday.

Once inside, the chaos continued, parents so unruly the board went into a private session. After that part of the meeting, district leaders said the choice to continue the meeting was up to the parents.

>>>RELATED: North Allegheny mask mandate reinstated after judge approves restraining order

“We are under a temporary restraining order. It requires us on North Allegheny property to wear a mask. Therefore we can not continue the meeting until everybody wears a mask,” the board announced.

Someone’s going to get shot at a school board meeting before the end of September.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

the maker of this post is not wrong

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepperoneedy posted:

yeah. any guesses?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

Does NZ post full isolation status of cases? Which communities and workplaces is it in?

In your favour you don't have lockdown fatigue and have strong public support for the measures but those are big numbers you put up. Nowhere in Australia has contained a delta outbreak that has reached 30 cases a day.

They've taken an extremely hard-line on the outbreak this time. Level 4 means only essential services are operating, there's no cooked or takeaway food available, no stores have been able to do click and collect etc. Only supermarkets and similar places open essentially.

When a case has been identified they've been contract traced and everyone in places they've been while infectious have been considered close contacts this time. Being a close contact means that you can't leave your house for 14 days, have to be tested twice and have daily health checks. So far more than 15000 people have been listed as close contacts and are isolating, this includes nearly 2000 supermarket workers just for being on the same shift as the time a case came through the shop. So in addition to the 'normal' state of lockdown (which is already extremely strict) a good portion of the potential transmission cases are under 'double lockdown'.

I also can't stress enough how much better compliance with the lockdown measures is over here generally.

Unfortunately I haven't seen anywhere the government has released any more detailed stats, I'd be interested in reading them.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm prob getting fired.

HR clarified that the covid sick policy that boss emailed the company actually expired the day following that email. so gently caress me. Cool poo poo.

You see we changed the service agreement after you agreed to it therefore...

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

mawarannahr posted:

yeah. any guesses?

Yikes poor Russia

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

McNugget Buddy posted:

I pulled this up a few days ago - a significant proportion of COVID hospitalizations had coinfections with influenza, and tests on mice showed their lungs fared worse when battling both diseases:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-021-00473-1

quote:

A retrospective study found that the coinfection rate of SARS‐CoV‐2 and influenza virus was as high as 57.3% (among which 49.8% was coinfected with IAV) in a single‐centered study of 307 COVID-19 patients during the outbreak period in Wuhan.11

I don't think it's saying that co-infection was common outside this sample taken during the Wuhan outbreak. That was one of the few times the flu and covid could freely coexist before covid started changing behavior. The CDC lists the number of flu infections from lab tests during the 20-21 season as almost 0.

quote:

Flu activity was unusually low throughout the 2020-2021 flu season both in the United States and globally, despite high levels of testing. During September 28, 2020–May 22, 2021 in the United States, 1,675 (0.2%) of 818,939 respiratory specimens tested by U.S. clinical laboratories were positive for an influenza virus. The low level of flu activity during this past season contributed to dramatically fewer flu illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths compared with previous flu seasons. For comparison, during the last three seasons before the pandemic, the proportion of respiratory specimens testing positive for influenza peaked between 26.2% and 30.3%. In terms of hospitalizations, the cumulative rate of laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations in the 2020-2021 season was the lowest recorded since this type of data collection began in 2005.

The rest of the study is pretty interesting, especially if we see a resurgence of the flu in areas that are going fully open. Luckily it still looks like the flu just isn't around very much.

2018-2019

Week 32 of that year had ~60 positives compared to 2. But if areas getting crushed by covid also manage to get a flu breakout, it sounds like those who get doubled infected will be hosed by the flu playing support for covid.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schnorkles posted:

the maker of this post is not wrong

yes but also yes depending if that is meant as a threat too :ocelot::grin:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm prob getting fired.

check your pms from yesterday. sounds like we've got work to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Lastgirl posted:

yes but also yes depending if that is meant as a threat too :ocelot::grin:

you'd be surprised how much covid you can fit inside of the hangar