Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
is this ted lasso dork just chowing on puss or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

skooma512 posted:

Tulpas were kinda interesting to see as someone who kinda already did that, but I felt that maladaptive daydreaming was more descriptive of the problem.

i think it's basically that, yeah, but the increasing prevalence of not just social media but social media that makes it easier to put forward a different you via filters and such means that kids are, essentially, creating a world where the avatar is more 'real' than the person behind it even to themselves. there was an article on it that i didn't save and can't find. i'd also say it has roots in just how disaffected kids are today in the sights of climate change, capitalism, etc. it's weird/sad stuff.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i liked the first season of ted lasso well enough. it was fun to have something that was doggedly earnest, but it wasn't like mind-blowing or anything. other than the fact that it was on apple tv

i dunno why there's so much cunnilungus in s2 but i am now interested to learn more

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
seems like this Ted Lasso poo poo (and the inverse reaction among certain critics of White Lotus) is that it’s Morally Instructive Television that will make you personally a good person for watching it and instructing others to do so and slowly but surely societal progress will be made

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Serf posted:

i liked the first season of ted lasso well enough. it was fun to have something that was doggedly earnest, but it wasn't like mind-blowing or anything. other than the fact that it was on apple tv

i dunno why there's so much cunnilungus in s2 but i am now interested to learn more

This is how I feel about it. Ted Lasso was an underdog Apple tv show centered on an underdog narrative during a global quarantine. It was a nice, uncomplicated reprieve from the severely depressing news cycle. S2 is fine but doesn't really expand on the formula, there's definitely less surprises (they got a lot of play with the fish out of water storyline in S1) and a lot of the backlash is from people hyping the first season to be more than it was. Lasso S1 was a mensch, in S2 he's already won everyone over including the audience and there's not enough left to fill in all the gaps.

Over the last year I noticed I didn't have the capacity for overly complicated media b/c I was consumed with covid and blm news. So I'd watch the Matrix or Ted Lasso to unwind instead.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

seems like this Ted Lasso poo poo (and the inverse reaction among certain critics of White Lotus) is that it’s Morally Instructive Television that will make you personally a good person for watching it and instructing others to do so and slowly but surely societal progress will be made

This is more true for White Lotus idpol ppl. Lasso's morals are to be honest and patient with people, although in season 2 they do get into globalization and imperialism via a Nigerian soccer player refusing sponsorship from an oil corporation but each episode is ~30 minutes so it's all very broad strokes.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Aug 25, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://youtu.be/s_cT2xBcBcM?list=OLAK5uy_lO-0rTUAnsldqBwKK5Ot9ClpOcIOffUpw

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/jenny2x4/status/1430326111385182211?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol come on.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1421946644397006849

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The chorus to this Art Brut song "popular culture no longer applies to me" might appeal to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvqPTucEoDI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Art Brut lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the gently caress is Art Brut

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

some dickhead probably

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Art Brut is a c-spam band in that they wanted to write a concept album about Italian communists during the years of lead but they couldn't think of enough song ideas for it so they gave up and made a regular record with a few Italian communist songs on it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

Art Brut is a c-spam band in that they wanted to write a concept album about Italian communists during the years of lead but they couldn't think of enough song ideas for it so they gave up and made a regular record with a few Italian communist songs on it.

That is going on the black log.

Rock music needs to fully embrace the 30 minute symphony.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

:hmmyes: pragmatists

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

babypolis posted:

nah the show explicitly focuses more on the rich characters. i would say more but you should just watch it

Can confirm the white lotus show is very good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ive got bad news

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1430363421980119046

nirvanas canceled now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that guy's been trading on his status as the nirvana dick baby for his entire life. i guess he did an analysis and decided to try for one final payout before people forget who nirvana was.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why does Netflix need a He-Man revival series and also a He-Man reboot series within the same six months?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the people are clamoring for more heman

not the heman fans though they can gently caress off as they are all sexist or else why would they like heman

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

how old do you have to be to have even the slightest memory of unironically liking he man as a kid. like 40 at least?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, gently caress them olds!

*hides old he-man comics from my childhood*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I hope he gets paid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farm Frenzy posted:

how old do you have to be to have even the slightest memory of unironically liking he man as a kid. like 40 at least?

They did make a second he-man cartoon in the early 00s

Also reruns and home video are a thing

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why does Netflix need a He-Man revival series and also a He-Man reboot series within the same six months?

Nostalgia ratings and toy sales.

Farm Frenzy posted:

Whatever age Kevin Smith is.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I really liked the He Man toys as a child but I don’t remember much about the show at all

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

indigi posted:

I really liked the He Man toys as a child but I don’t remember much about the show at all

The original creators agree.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gen x nostalgia poo poo sucks so much

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1430245797157867522

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

gen x nostalgia poo poo sucks so much

The avatar for it is literally Ready Player One

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They did make a second he-man cartoon in the early 00s
That was actually the third he-man cartoon

Also the movie

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The original creators agree.
https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1130876119828316161

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Toys That Made Us is kind of an annoying show but it gives a pretty good look into just how little these toy company guys actually cared (and how shady it got in the 80s.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so what youre saying is that our real childhoods were inside us all along

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao!

That really does explain everything. :snoo:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of the best ideas come from limitations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the best ideas come from limitations.
They really do. Low budgets, on-set challenges, and even censors have forced entertainers to be creative and keep them on their toes. Giving them everything they want often ends in a boring disaster of a final product.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Knight posted:

They really do. Low budgets, on-set challenges, and even censors have forced entertainers to be creative and keep them on their toes. Giving them everything they want often ends in a boring disaster of a final product.

this is more or less my hypothesis for why Tim Burton’s later work, like those hideous Alice in Wonderland films, is basically unwatchable compared to, say, Beetlejuice

CG lets you put your first draft right on the screen, even when that’s probably a bad idea. anyway I’ll have a mushroom Swiss burger, a large fries and a big Diet Pepsi, thanks

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

i say swears online posted:

god resorts are such awful places, after 18 months at one I could never stay as a guest

working as an overnight accountant I had access to the bar keys and nearly drank myself to death on johnny walker blue. once a rich german firm brought their management over and I double-sold them several hundred dollars of booze by charging it to the room as well as upfront cash that went straight into my pocket

I feel like I was just weeks away from loving up really bad when I broke down and quit

Drinking yourself to death is bad, but stealing Johnny Blue from work is good, so who can say if resorts are good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

working overnights is hell, I'm glad that chapter is over