Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stevewm posted:

I took this picture a couple years ago of a store location my company acquired. I suspect extreme penny pinching and/or laziness was a factor here; these were probably laying around in the backroom. Instead of using proper office lightning fixtures.

Sadly this spectacle of terrible construction was demolished soon after this picture was taken.

“Give me that lactating cat look.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

*if your lactating cat has 1000 lumen nipples, seek veterinary assistance.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
also consult a priest

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Maybe even several priests

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A rabbi and an imam just to cover your bases.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

MrYenko posted:

*if your lactating cat has 1000 lumen nipples, seek veterinary assistance.

I realize isn’t the gene-tinkerer DIY thread but this recently started happening to me and I have questions

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dream house of the day. Everybody on r/zillowgonewild agrees that you should just go the whole hog and turn it into a wedding chapel

I had to stop when I got to the steel bank vault with unfinished archways in front of it.

Oh my God, it was originally listed for $28 million and it's on a lake outside loving Roseville. Absolutely delusional owners.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A rabbi and an imam just to cover your bases.

I think for cases like this there's an emergency number that connects straight to the Vatican.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 22, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the lamp pox.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My Lovely Horse posted:

THERE ARE THIRTY SEVEN LIGHTS

LonsomeSon posted:

…Shaka, when the poster allowed it after all

I love you nerds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I saw this in the cursed images thread a couple days ago and I think it really is cursed. I can't stop thinking about it. The siren song of using glitter glue for home decor has me in its grasp.

I keep trying to think of ways this wouldn't be awful, like maybe when decorating for a child's birthday party. It's water based, it shouldn't be difficult to peel off. Sparkle sparkle.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Usually you mix glitter into real grout rather than using some kind of peel-off glue. I think there may not be a good way to do it temporarily

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there clear grout available? I'm imagining mixing in luminescent powder and enjoying that Escape from New York pseudo cgi grid.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

By popular demand posted:

Is there clear grout available? I'm imagining mixing in luminescent powder and enjoying that Escape from New York pseudo cgi grid.

You can put anything in epoxy grout

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jusupov posted:

You can put anything in epoxy grout

I now have a new dream bathroom idea.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hey guys, found a cool house in Austin, check this out:

Pretty standard McMansion frontage, of course.

But it's got a big solar setup!

Power wall for all that delicious solar.

Plenty of AC to handle those hot Texas summers!

Check out that handsome fireplace!

Let's see the upstairs now...

Wonder what that noise is. Oh.

:stonk:

:stonk: OH. :stonk:

Anybody wanna pay $3m for a couple houses some dumbfuck has tried to turn into Etherium mining DCs minus any of the actual safety concerns of a datacenter like structural support of rack weights, fire suppression, proper cooling, or egress?

https://www.bizquest.com/business-for-sale/gpu-mining-farm-in-austin-suburb-producing-60-000-a-month/BW1855651/?q=bD1TNDUmbHR5cGU9NDAmbz0x

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dareon posted:

I now have a new dream bathroom idea.

Making floor beams from glitter grout?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Liquid Communism posted:

im the elon-brand battery packs sitting outside, exposed to the elements :tesla:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm the 6 individual residential AC systems.

Surely a single commercial unit would be more effective.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Warmachine posted:

Since when are crypto assholes interested in effectiveness?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

why would you want glittergrout?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im the elon-brand battery packs sitting outside, exposed to the elements :tesla:

Eh, they can be installed outside fine. That’s a casing you see, not just a battery propped on the wall. But they recommend you place them inside for protection from the temperature swings more than anything.

You can find tons of photos of them on the outside of a house.

But who knows what other insanity lurks in the house that crypto built.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Warmachine posted:

Before I got to the crypto racks, the six ACs had me worried that this was a McMansion converted into 6 studio apartments or something equally absurd.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
so the Tesla packs are because he couldn't service the farm during peak with a residential service line right

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Crunchy Black posted:

so the Tesla packs are because he couldn't service the farm during peak with a residential service line right

That and that weird ‘I can rationalize spending a truckload of money up front but get real mad about recurring bills’ attitude some people do

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

the yeti posted:

Since when are crypto assholes interested in effectiveness?
Hashrate-per-watt is a pretty common point of discussion in the crypto world, at least for those who have to pay real money for their power. They don't care about their impact on the world at large, but they certainly care about their profit margins.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

Hashrate-per-watt is a pretty common point of discussion in the crypto world, at least for those who have to pay real money for their power. They don't care about their impact on the world at large, but they certainly care about their profit margins.

Right it's like the cryptobois / Weedgrowers who steal power from their neighbor, lowering your overhead costs per dollar is always good. Grand scheme of things you're still burning fossil fuels for play money but here you go.

Speaking of..
From the state that brings you CryptoCooked Lake (Allegedly)
https://cointelegraph.com/news/new-york-locals-accuse-gas-fired-mining-operation-of-heating-seneca-lake

Now you get pollution of your neighborhoods for crypto mining.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/north-tonawanda-council-votes-down-blockchain-mining-moratorium

oh sorry thought this was BWM thread.. Nuke all crypto

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey guys, found a cool house in Austin, check this out:

Pretty standard McMansion frontage, of course.

But it's got a big solar setup!

Plenty of AC to handle those hot Texas summers!

Check out that handsome fireplace!

Let's see the upstairs now...

Wonder what that noise is. Oh.

:stonk:

:stonk: OH. :stonk:

Anybody wanna pay $3m for a couple houses some dumbfuck has tried to turn into Etherium mining DCs minus any of the actual safety concerns of a datacenter like structural support of rack weights, fire suppression, proper cooling, or egress?

https://www.bizquest.com/business-for-sale/gpu-mining-farm-in-austin-suburb-producing-60-000-a-month/BW1855651/?q=bD1TNDUmbHR5cGU9NDAmbz0x

Oh word?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Cross-posting from PYF:

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only noteworthy thing Macy's has done recently is that a former Macy's husk was turned into my town's "temporary" high school. Temporary is in quotes because they found PCBs basically EVERYWHERE in the old school that was used up until 2020. Like...I fully expect the town to get a LOT of lawsuits in the future from former students getting cancer or something. But there's really nowhere else to put a new school. There's been a few site proposed but they are all garbage locations in terms of what traffic/accessibility and site prep would be.

But in the meantime:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/burlington-vermont-high-schools-in-a-macys

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/03/31/vermont-macys-turned-high-school-what-downtown-burlington-looks-like/4818514001/

Come eat lunch at the Michael Kors Cafeteria:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ver...-still-around-4

Pros: Food court; Spencer's Gifts; fewer carcinogens; already on the busline; doesn't look like a prison

Cons: all the disadvantages of those modular-walled open classrooms from the 70's; in-classroom advertising; school security is literally mall cops; continuous loop of this while trying to take your math exams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVU4ts8BEHE

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Usually you mix glitter into real grout rather than using some kind of peel-off glue. I think there may not be a good way to do it temporarily

I've seen sidewalks that have a glitter-like effect. I think they mix mica flakes into the concrete?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

tater_salad posted:

why would you want glittergrout?

why WOULDN'T you?????

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We all know glitter is tacky. But on the other hand, sparkles.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Facebook Aunt posted:

We all know glitter is tacky. But on the other hand, sparkles.

Professional Male Model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7orIJyPFCxw

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Facebook Aunt posted:

We all know glitter is tacky.

Only until the epoxy sets :dadjoke:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GotLag posted:

Wow this post really resinates with me.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

GotLag posted:

Too soon.

https://torontosun.com/news/weird/man-dies-after-using-epoxy-resin-as-diy-protection-instead-of-condom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“How the gently caress is that fatal? Blood loss? Infection?”

quote:

The adhesive sealed off Mirza’s penis. In addition, the twosome mixed the epoxy with some sort of “whitener” and inhaled the mixture for a “kick,” News18 reported.

:ms:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smax posted:

We're buying a house and just did an inspection today. I think I found something worthy of the thread.

The house has a nice mister system installed on the back porch.

It's tied in to a tee on a spigot right next to the back porch over here.

I can't see where the hose gets from ground level to the misters though. Tracing backwards...

Oh. Oh no. Looking lower.

It's a tidy installation, I'll give them that much. The previous owner installed an outlet high up on the back side of the house for lighting around the perimeter of the porch (seen in the pic of the misters) and a TV hanging on the back of the house. They extended the circuit from an existing outlet on the back of the house, somehow removing its GFCI protection on that leg in the process. Halfway up the wall, there's a switch controlling the new high outlet. The water hose runs up the inside of the electrical conduit, behind the switch, and pops out from behind the new high outlet before snaking its way over to the perimeter of the porch.

I'm not familiar with codes myself, but I feel like water and non-GFCI-protected 120V electricity shouldn't share an electrical conduit...

Follow up!

It gets worse.

We close on the house tomorrow. Previous owners have moved out and we just did our final walk-through. I found an unplugged suicide cord sitting in the family room. Apparently the exterior plugs are powered via an outlet on the inside of the wall hooked up via the suicide cord.

Well, that’s all coming out…

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

rip this tweet

e: oh maybe because I'm 300 pages behind the thread

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

smax posted:

Follow up!

It gets worse.

We close on the house tomorrow. Previous owners have moved out and we just did our final walk-through. I found an unplugged suicide cord sitting in the family room. Apparently the exterior plugs are powered via an outlet on the inside of the wall hooked up via the suicide cord.

Well, that’s all coming out…

Lol of course they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

/r/HomeImprovement: Is my contractor BSing me?

quote:

First time dealing with a contractor. I got his phone number after seeing him paint my brother’s neighbors house.

He mentioned that this room in particular is not even and that it doesn’t have a center and thats why there’s such big gaps. He mentioned getting something to fill in the gap, but I’m a bit nervous now cause apparently he just stopped going to the neighbors house and didn’t finish his job.

What should I look out for to make sure the laminate is well placed? What should I look out for in his craftsmanship?

Edit: this isn’t a joke lol. I already paid him half >.> 1.1k. He painted my house interior too and it came out pretty good so I’m surprised this is happening

:lol: