Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Spoondick posted:

my mother in law is currently writing her attestation of mandatory vaccine exemption for "sincerely held religious beliefs" but she can't clearly describe her religious beliefs and why they preclude her from getting the vaccine because it's all dumbfuck lead poisoned boomer brained poo poo she saw on facebook so she's googling poo poo and plagiarizing it and might lose her job if they find out lol

Why not say you're a LaVeyan Satanist and state that Objectivism is a sincerely held religious belief? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spoondick posted:

my mother in law is currently writing her attestation of mandatory vaccine exemption for "sincerely held religious beliefs" but she can't clearly describe her religious beliefs and why they preclude her from getting the vaccine because it's all dumbfuck lead poisoned boomer brained poo poo she saw on facebook so she's googling poo poo and plagiarizing it and might lose her job if they find out lol

Good

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

Spoondick posted:

my sincerely held religious beliefs, of destroying my intestines with horse goo and making GBS threads out their shriveled remains, for the Lord

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

probably a good bit.

they compared the increases due to natural disasters or large terrorist attacks.

“This fits with research on natural disasters and terrorist attacks, which shows that wide-scale community stressors are tied to a rise in mental health concerns. What’s surprising, McLaughlin said, is the magnitude of the rise during the pandemic”

Knowing your society is poison and doesn't value your life is probably a lot more stressful for a kid than learning bad people exist outside the scope of the rules or that sometimes clouds get angry

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ram dass in hell posted:

lol that'd terrible but also kind of owns, love to see both people involved in a game of chicken just say gently caress it let's do this

lmfao

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1430757117212958725

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Spoondick posted:

lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Oldest Man posted:

Knowing your society is poison and doesn't value your life is probably a lot more stressful for a kid than learning bad people exist outside the scope of the rules or that sometimes clouds get angry

I don't think children can really understand this on that level unless they have been reading along with the thread for the last year. It's just general social upheaval destroying their ways of life and social lives for months and months. Also their parents have been fired and their landlords are trying to evict them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bar Ran Dun posted:

sooooo

behavioral issues in kids went from 17% to 56% over the pandemic.

https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/scientists-are-racing-to-unravel-the-pandemics-toll-on-kids-brains/

that’s pretty goddamn bad.

we should have written every single household a $75k check and said "take this, work if you want... or not. also school is canceled this year and we'll work with your teachers to figure out how school will work next year" instead of printing $3T+ for wall street

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody posted regret screenshots from this NYT video about Ozarks vaccine hesitancy (the one with the Libertarian on oxygen) but here's the whole 7 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd8P12BXebo

He mentioned that both his parents were in their 70's, vaccinated, and got COVID. But there's no follow up about how they turned out. I have to know!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have absolutely no doubt that social isolation (not calling them lockdowns if the state hasn't locked-down) to avoid COVID is "taking a toll on the mental health of children"

I also have no doubt that it's not worth extracting the toll from their lungs and brains instead

if people want children to be able to have in-person classes again, pursue a COVID-zero strategy, so you can restart face-to-face education like China has

if online classes are difficult, governments need to step in and provide workable computers and strong internet connections to everyone

It’s almost as if we could have ended this in a couple of months without the massive mental, physical and economic tolls this has had on everyone due to dragging it out for years and yes — especially children.

But that would prove the value theory of labor.
So we can’t have that.

Truly the most stupid timeline.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

probably a good bit.

they compared the increases due to natural disasters or large terrorist attacks.

“This fits with research on natural disasters and terrorist attacks, which shows that wide-scale community stressors are tied to a rise in mental health concerns. What’s surprising, McLaughlin said, is the magnitude of the rise during the pandemic”

epic, the scientists figured out that people get sad when a massive disaster completely dumpsters the existing social order. finally

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

Oh wow - this is kind of an important detail that Pfizer left out of their earnings report:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-booster-trial-results.html

:wtf:

So there's no booster trial/data for old people?

lmao crack ping

israel was seeing like 14% of the people they gave third boosters were already getting breakthrough infections. but those people were mostly over 60 folks or immunocompromised...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have absolutely no doubt that social isolation (not calling them lockdowns if the state hasn't locked-down) to avoid COVID is "taking a toll on the mental health of children"

I also have no doubt that it's not worth extracting the toll from their lungs and brains instead

if people want children to be able to have in-person classes again, pursue a COVID-zero strategy, so you can restart face-to-face education like China has

if online classes are difficult, governments need to step in and provide workable computers and strong internet connections to everyone

where I am they did that. tablets/ computers for everybody and hotspots if one was needed.

the problem is you don’t get do overs on developmental windows .

that and I’m not sure you get how trash remote was. it was here’s a power point for your kindergartners. where I am they tried for time equity to normal instruction too, which was just a fantastically stupid choice.

basically everything you can think of well just do this way, they did the opposite.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mom just called. They're already shooting up old people using the 6 month guideline (according to her friend who went in and got her third)

6 months ago is Feb 26

This is in Los Angeles

Got get your parents booked

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 26, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think children can really understand this on that level unless they have been reading along with the thread for the last year. It's just general social upheaval destroying their ways of life and social lives for months and months. Also their parents have been fired and their landlords are trying to evict them.

You don't need to understand the macro picture to understand that your parents are trying to tell you something isn't safe and you need to protect yourself and then your follow-up questions about why we have to do this or why isn't anyone fixing it have no good answers. Why can't I see my friends? Why can't I go inside their houses? My friends aren't wearing masks. Etc etc etc. Kids aren't idiots, particularly by the time they're like 10.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:coronatoot::thurman:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Life must be so disorienting when you have absolutely no idea of how anything works and magnets are basically just magic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

burn the witch mister chairman

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

actual irl

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ram dass in hell posted:

epic, the scientists figured out that people get sad when a massive disaster completely dumpsters the existing social order. finally

i loving wish it had completely dumpstered the existing social order, and lit the dumpster on fire for good measure, but it's absolutely not doing that. that's what's making me sad

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

newton was a chad actually. he had to run away to the countryside during the 1665 london plague epidemic and he used his free time to invent calculus and the foundation of physics. he was also an antisocial goonlord recluse

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Steve Yun posted:

Mom just called. They're already shooting up old people using the 6 month guideline

it's kind of scary when the government and CDC in particular turn this fast on guidance :tinfoil:

what do they know that hasn't come out

good news to get those boosties though

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

talk to a relative of mine in Mississippi and he says the local Walmart has shutdown for 3 days because so many of the employees are out sick with covid and the shelves were literally empty because of it. They're bringing in help from other nearby stores to help.

seems fine

open biden

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lmao

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i loving wish it had completely dumpstered the existing social order, and lit the dumpster on fire for good measure, but it's absolutely not doing that. that's what's making me sad

well yeah

I meant just the normal existing things that were barely enough for some people to scrape out a life with some measure of sanity and dignity, that, not capitalism and patriarchy and empire and violence, which are invincible to the virus

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

A Gin Palace posted:

newton was a chad actually. he had to run away to the countryside during the 1665 london plague epidemic and he used his free time to invent calculus and the foundation of physics. he was also an antisocial goonlord recluse

He was literally an incel lol

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

cr0y posted:

Life must be so disorienting when you have absolutely no idea of how anything works and magnets are basically just magic.

hatred of the other gets you through

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So how long until these school "meetings" start getting shot up by unhinged parents or has that already happened? Calling it if not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mayor Dave posted:

he was probably gay

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
like how the gently caress did we give every loving rightwing grifter who could form a LLC a PPP loan for new boats and cars and vacation homes, but we couldn't make a loving grant program so that a parent of a working household could take a 1 year family medical leave completely paid for entirely by the government

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Mayor Dave posted:

:wrong: he was a volcel

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Goobish posted:

So how long until these school "meetings" start getting shot up by unhinged parents or has that already happened? Calling it if not.

in Tennessee they've started using portable metal detectors on attendees

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Goobish posted:

it'll be a murder - suicide from a father of a dead kid IMHO

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

he should've known that, like the predator, it always comes WITH the heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

A Gin Palace posted:

newton was an incel who stole credit for calculus, the nerdiest possible crime