Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hungry posted:

On the subject of booster jabs: it's only 4 months since I got stuck with the second dose of Pfizer slut juice. I don't trust the CDC's bullshit "8/6 months" thing, but is there any reason that 4 months out is too early for a sneaky 3rd?

I'd follow the Israel schedule which is at least 5 months until the 3rd booster shot.

Main reason is waiting longer between 2nd + 3rd shot seems to trigger a higher antibody response.

Note 6 month data is back by clinical studies from both Moderna and Pfizer since that seems to be the time range with antibody immunity starts to slowly decrease each month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

I like the Stalin quote snuck in there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I lolled how a study of US COV19 ads found that the more successful ad campaign were more individual focused rather than ones which emphasized protecting the wider community.

Americans seem so proud of the rugged individualist worldview despite the toxic side effects.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thank you. Should I run the air conditioners/fans or would that be bad? It's pretty hot in my place (I hate the summer anyway, I like it cold AF) so normally I am running the AC/fans anyway.

run the fans

back in 2020 there was a gym that successfully prevented an outbreak when an infected member came because all the doors and windows were open and equipment was placed next to the open doors and the fans were running full blast

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

charge the unvaccinated with manslaughter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol at Florida

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-is-the-only-state-where-more-people-are-dying-of-covid-now-than-ever-before-what-went-wrong-090001893.html

quote:

A few months ago, Gov. Ron DeSantis, Republican of Florida, declared his hands-off approach to COVID-19 “a tremendous success.” Politico announced that he had “won the pandemic.”

But then came the hypercontagious Delta variant, which continues to hit Florida harder than anywhere else in the country.

The result? DeSantis just added another, less flattering distinction to his résumé. When COVID first surged across the Sun Belt last summer, the average number of Floridians dying of the disease every 24 hours peaked at 185, according to the New York Times’s state-by-state COVID database. The same was true over the winter.

A few days ago, however, Florida’s daily death rate cleared 200 for the first time, and today it stands at 228 — an all-time high.

This makes DeSantis the first (and so far only) governor in the U.S. whose state is now recording more COVID-19 deaths each day — long after free, safe and effective vaccines became widely available to all Americans age 12 or older — than during any previous wave of the virus.

So what went wrong? California thinks it has the answer.

Since last spring, Florida and California — two of America’s biggest and most influential states — have been locked in a pitched battle over which kind of pandemic response makes the most sense: less or more. At times, the Sunshine State seemed to have the upper hand — like when Florida avoided the worst of a nationwide winter surge that hit California particularly hard, all while refusing to require masks in public and keeping bars and restaurants fully open.

But Delta may have changed that.

“Vaccines are working to prevent deaths in many other countries that have seen post vaccine spike in cases, and most other states in the U.S. as well. Florida is different,” Dr. Vincent Rajkumar, a professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic, recently explained on Twitter. “What’s different in Florida is that, relative to the vaccination rate (~50%), the relaxation of distancing and masking was disproportionately high. Leaders expressed disdain for masks and mask mandates. The total number of people unvaccinated is high. And hospitals got overwhelmed.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lol looks like Tampa will be switching to authentic swamp water since it uses a similar Ozone process as Orlando for purifying the aquifer water

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...sh=6c87a1e47557

quote:

Residents in Hillsborough County, Florida have been asked to cut back on non-essential water usage like watering lawns and washing cars and warned to expect a “change in taste and odor in drinking water” as dwindling supplies of liquid oxygen, ordinarily used to purify drinking water, are diverted to hospitals using it to treat the state’s record numbers of Covid-19 patients.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao Florida was no where near a 50% vaccination rate

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

John_A_Tallon posted:

If they don't succeed in infecting China with Delta, and they might not, then we can expect a hot war in the near future.

Having the guys who just got Blitzkrieg'ed by a bunch of goat herders to fight China is totally a sound strategy

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Zurtilik posted:

It is endemic. Nothing to be done now but accept the Lord's plan!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

etalian posted:

Lol looks like Tampa will be switching to authentic swamp water since it uses a similar Ozone process as Orlando for purifying the aquifer water

bottled water panic buyers finally vindicated.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/katie_martin_fx/status/1430850900592144385?s=19

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Where does CSPAM go to get their apology?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
At this rate there will be no one left in Florida for the ocean to swallow.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I admire your optimism. We still had that before delta.

You won't go full Sydney but you may go full Melbourne with just under 100 cases forever with never ending lockdown.
i just saw the second person with a half face 3m respirator few days ago since pandemic began, while out getting some groceries

in south island of nz

currently with 0 community cases/spreads and no location of interest lol

i was wearing my usual 7502+p100 with sealed goggles and gave him a thumbs up from afar

also literally everyone inside the grocery store was wearing mask too, same as p much everyone walking outside the past few days when the weather was really nice out

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

God drat, most humans alive in the West are just domesticated animals with little sentience.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

quote:

A friend sent me a long, panicked-seeming text about his growing oyster habit. He’d only tried them once or twice before the pandemic, but now he finds himself cycling to a ­fishmonger’s to buy a box of six and eating them right there in the street. “I don’t know why I do it; at this point it’s not even fun,” he said.

sounds like everyone in this article is normal and this is acceptable behavior for a functioning society

coke
Jul 12, 2009
and :rip: the ozzies, lovely fox news clones probably didn't help with the messaging and politics either

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...1d241cd8657769a

quote:

Queensland may as well kiss international tourism goodbye if arriving passengers are made to quarantine at a new purpose-built facility at Toowoomba, industry leaders have warned.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Thursday the new 1000-bed quarantine site would be fully operational by March, well after the country reaches its 80 per cent vaccination targets and restrictions are eased or lifted.

She said vaccines and hotel quarantine were the best weapons against the Delta variant of Covid-19 and even though you are vaccinated, you could still “transmit” the virus.

quote:

“I am concerned; it must be being built for a future pandemic or a new variant, I presume,” Mr Turner said.

“If that is the Queensland rule, Queensland won’t get any tourists and the other states will get them because no doubt they will be open in the next few months.

“If it was built for this pandemic, it is going to kill tourism permanently for Queensland and possibly interstate tourism as well.”

quote:

“I am concerned; it must be being built for a future pandemic or a new variant, I presume,” Mr Turner said.

“If that is the Queensland rule, Queensland won’t get any tourists and the other states will get them because no doubt they will be open in the next few months.

“If it was built for this pandemic, it is going to kill tourism permanently for Queensland and possibly interstate tourism as well.”

quote:

News.com.au is an Australian website owned by News Corp Australia. It had 9.6 million unique readers in April 2019[1]

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

im pretty sure people who do bleach enemas also think they're expelling worms when its actually intestinal lining. cant imagine thats not happening here. or this person is literally full of pinworms 24/7

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

etalian posted:

quote:

The oxygen shortages are making it harder for Elon Musk’s aerospace venture SpaceX to launch its rockets and could affect its launch schedule, the company’s President Gwynne Shotwell said on Tuesday. Liquid oxygen is a crucial propellant used in rockets and Shotwell urged anyone with some spare to get in touch.

lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
We believe in capitalism. But the model is under strain.
We need to reform in order to preserve. If you think the same, join us.
Join us now and save 33%

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

kimra's got a leaky gut

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, hooray, I'm stuck letting a stranger into my home today because ConED wants to install new meters because it's not like there's a pandemic on, and I can't opt out.
I'll obviously not be letting the gently caress in unless they're wearing their mask properly, and will be wearing my respo the whole time they're here. I don't have any of those fancy in-door air purifiers/filters (what are some good recommendations for the future?) so what's my best bet for making things safe-'er' once they're gone and/or while they're here? I imagine opening all windows before they even come in is one thing? Should I turn on ceiling fans, standing fans, and air-conditioners, too, or will that just spread poo poo around rather than circulate in new air/spread it out? Once they leave I figure keep my front door open for a while?

I'm already freaking out about this so please no 'you're hosed lmao' jokes. Thanks.

wear your respirator

ask the technician to wear their mask

open your windows and your doors (assuming this isn't going to cause you to get robbed or whatever)

run all the fans you have, with a view towards bringing air from the outside, going in. Obviously you can't change the direction of a ceiling fan - run it anyway. If you can't put your box fans/standing fan near a window or a door, run it anyway, just eyeball whatever will help circulation

you can run the A/C just on the fan mode, no need to make it cool

keep the fans running and the windows/doors open for... idk 15 minutes after they leave? as much as an hour if you can manage it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

im pretty sure people who do bleach enemas also think they're expelling worms when its actually intestinal lining. cant imagine thats not happening here.

that is exactly what is happening here

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mycomancy posted:

God drat, most humans alive in the West are just domesticated animals with little sentience.

If you've ever been unemployed, and forced to go to a class to continue receiving unemployment, it's confirmation of this.

See also: Event volunteer work, and job fairs.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

bile dump

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The staffing models that large corps HR use have been completely wrong this year, I find this very amusing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/26/travel/flight-attendant-burnout.html

quote:

At Southwest Airlines, the chief operating officer, Mike Van de Ven, shared a message with staff on Aug. 20, saying that the increase in bookings has “taken a toll on our operation and put a significant strain on all of you. And for that, I am sincerely sorry.” He also said that “historical staffing models have not been effective in this pandemic environment.”...

“You would think a pandemic affecting a ton of people would cause people to maybe pause and be more compassionate to each other,” said Ms. Petzel, the American Airlines attendant. “For whatever reason, it’s made it go the complete other way.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solarin posted:

bottled water panic buyers finally vindicated.

and it's not even peak hurricane season yet !

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

“You would think a pandemic affecting a ton of people would cause people to maybe pause and be more compassionate to each other,” said Ms. Petzel, the American Airlines attendant. “For whatever reason, it’s made it go the complete other way.”

yes, in a world where you have to be a psycho to want to eat in a crowded indoor space without a mask or take a plane to disneyland, it turns out the people you interact with doing those things are psychos

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gradenko_2000 posted:

wear your respirator

ask the technician to wear their mask

open your windows and your doors (assuming this isn't going to cause you to get robbed or whatever)

run all the fans you have, with a view towards bringing air from the outside, going in. Obviously you can't change the direction of a ceiling fan - run it anyway. If you can't put your box fans/standing fan near a window or a door, run it anyway, just eyeball whatever will help circulation

you can run the A/C just on the fan mode, no need to make it cool

keep the fans running and the windows/doors open for... idk 15 minutes after they leave? as much as an hour if you can manage it

I want it cool lol. I assume the actual air conditioner is fine? And thanks for the info.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pryor on Fire posted:

The staffing models that large corps HR use have been completely wrong this year, I find this very amusing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/26/travel/flight-attendant-burnout.html

turns out algorithms designed to keep everything limping along as cheaply as possible have zero allowances for "what happens if a massive pandemic occurs" or "what happens if a quarter of workforce quits or dies"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

turns out algorithms designed to keep everything limping along as cheaply as possible have zero allowances for "what happens if a massive pandemic occurs" or "what happens if a quarter of workforce quits or dies"

At my company I know whole department had to go into quarantine since people had a big after hours birthday party event and a few people later on test positive.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The thing is that it's not like other deaths have stopped. What the gently caress is society supposed to do with an extra 1,000+ bodies a day? This is what we want to be endemic? Do we just assume it'll stop after its killed enough?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dr Fauci, Or how I learned to stop worrying and live with COVID.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I want it cool lol. I assume the actual air conditioner is fine? And thanks for the info.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you run the A/C while all the windows/doors are open and the fans are going then the A/C isn't going to be able to do much to cool the room, but it probably doesn't matter beyond wasting a little electricity. don't mind me and go ahead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

The thing is that it's not like other deaths have stopped. What the gently caress is society supposed to do with an extra 1,000+ bodies a day? This is what we want to be endemic? Do we just assume it'll stop after its killed enough?

won’t it just eventually kill everyone over like 40

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Well I know similar to 2020 places like funeral home are literally running out of space to store dead bodies.

I know like hospital here like Advent ordered some extra fridge trucks this month.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
:actually: Logan's Run was a documentary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Zurtilik posted:

Sounds like someones having Crack Pingles for breakfast!