Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

VictualSquid posted:

I just tried this app. It's there a way to get it to function with a manually input location. The GPS is broken on my old tablet.
e: I found it. You have to click the help button that appears for 1 second with error message every few minutes. And I found an input field that is well camouflaged, and I could have sworn that wasn't there before.

???

From the main screen, at the top right you have a gear icon for settings and a city icon for location. Click the latter and you have a full-screen location list, you can add manual locations to the list or pick 'Use your current location'.

Maybe it's a different UI on tablets :confused:

e:

It's the icon just below the network signals in the status bar:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NihilCredo posted:

???

From the main screen, at the top right you have a gear icon for settings and a city icon for location. Click the latter and you have a full-screen location list, you can add manual locations to the list or pick 'Use your current location'.

Maybe it's a different UI on tablets :confused:

e:

It's the icon just below the network signals in the status bar:

Yeah, I found the other screen. But the place to add manual location was off-white on off-white in a small corner of my tablet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Photos - Trying to share a photo from last year with my wife, "photo already in this conversation". Yeah no poo poo, that's not the point, rear end in a top hat.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FogHelmut posted:

Google Photos - Trying to share a photo from last year with my wife, "photo already in this conversation". Yeah no poo poo, that's not the point, rear end in a top hat.

Just share as a text instead of whatever the hell Google tries to do with that dumb conversation thing

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

File associations have just stopped working for me on my s20+, I've reset them all in apps but paypal, tweets etc still won't connect which is annoying. Is that a thing for anyone else?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is verified links an android 12 thing? I had to make sure they were all turned on in various apps or no associations would work

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wondering if anyone else feels like there's not been a lot of great reasons to upgrade for a few generations? I remember when every 2 years the phones were dramatically better both in terms of visually with the resolutions and oled/etc technology, MUCH better cameras, integration of biometrics, NFC, etc.

I have an s9+ and I legitimately can't find a reason to upgrade to any of the new flagships (not that I'm eager to). What's the pull? The cameras don't seem that much better, the screen technology seems pretty much the same, the battery life doesn't seem dramatically improved. Even the OS upgrades are still relevant on the s9 so ???

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
60+ Hz screens have been a huge upgrade in how responsive phones feel to use, that's the last big one imo.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

VelociBacon posted:

Just wondering if anyone else feels like there's not been a lot of great reasons to upgrade for a few generations? I remember when every 2 years the phones were dramatically better both in terms of visually with the resolutions and oled/etc technology, MUCH better cameras, integration of biometrics, NFC, etc.

I hear you. It used to seem like you got into year 2 of a phone's life and it would feel slow, there would be features you couldn't use, apps that didn't quite work, envy of new devices, a real tradeoff between price and function. But things are a lot more stable now, and the new releases are incremental improvements. Which is great - I'm well happy with a phone that just works and that I can use until it falls apart.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I have a Galaxy S8+ and I feel the same way. Phones since then seem to focus on gimmickry and not actual improvements. I'm not even remotely tempted to upgrade.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I've had a Pixel 1 for the last four years and the only reason I'm getting a 5 now is because the battery in the 1 lasts about 12 hours when it is not doing anything. If I actually listen to a podcast or use it to (gasp) make a voice phone call, that number drops significantly. Authorized Google repair locations no longer service the 1, and the couple of places that I found that did battery replacements wanted 150 bucks for something that could potentially catch on fire or something? I think ~750 bucks every 4-5 years is... well, palatable?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'd that's all you are doing with a phone, I would consider the 5a. Same internals as the pixel 5, it loses the 90hz screen and wireless charging but has a larger battery. It's only $449 and since it releases this week, it will be supported longer than the pixel 5.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Yeah, unfortunately no wireless charging on the 5a... which is something I want to change over to.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If it was still getting software updates, I'd be happy paying to fix the battery on my Pixel 2. Without the updates, putting money into the phone seems silly.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Uthor posted:

If it was still getting software updates, I'd be happy paying to fix the battery on my Pixel 2. Without the updates, putting money into the phone seems silly.

this is where I'm at. I was hoping for a pixel 5 price drop but I guess that's not gonna happen now.

is OnePlus still a brand to avoid? I wish it was smaller, but the Nord N10 5g looks almost okay for the price as an upgrade if my pixel 2 finally shits the bed

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a good note taking app that syncs with a desktop version?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

VelociBacon posted:

Is there a good note taking app that syncs with a desktop version?

Google Keep is good for quick notes (either written or drawn, also with pictures and images appended to them if you want), and syncs with the webapp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mikl posted:

Google Keep is good for quick notes (either written or drawn, also with pictures and images appended to them if you want), and syncs with the webapp.

Thank you

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've just replaced my OnePlus 6T with a Samsung S21 Ultra. The 6T was great and lasted me nearly 3 years however one of the results of that is that I had no idea that my beloved Swype keyboard had been discontinued!

So far I've tried Gboard and SwiftKey as replacements but I feel that they're lacking in some areas where I really liked Swype:

- Access to common punctuation without additional keypresses - Swype let me hold down specific letters which had punctuation marks associated with them. Both of the alternatives I've tried make this a bit more awkward. Most conveniently Swype let me swipe from these letters with associated punctuation marks to the spacebar, automatically inserting that character then a space.

- Visibility of lots of autoreplace options simultaneously - it feels like both the alternatives I've tried will only show a maximum of 3 autoreplace options for the word I've swiped which isn't quite as helpful.

- Easily add words - Swype just let me choose the new word in the autoreplace list and thereafter it was in the dictionary. Maybe I'm missing something but both the alternatives I've tried haven't seemed to do this reliably. I want my naughty words back at my fingertips!

- Single press backspace to delete last word - alternatives all seem to only delete the last character.

Are there swiping keyboards that are better than Gboard and SwiftKey? Or at least more capable? It feels like this input method was an afterthought for them.

Edit: Another question since getting my S21 - I use Pocket Casts and previously on my lockscreen it had the buttons in the notification to skip fowards and backwards within the same episode. Now it only has to skip the episode entirely. Is there a way to skip just some of it this way? Not sure what's caused this change but I've got everything I can find enabled with notifications:

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 27, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there an app that will let me load epubs to a Kindle, via a usb cable? I think it would involve some conversion so I guess I want something like Calibre for Android.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The Windows/MacOS versions of Calibre should be able to do that. Unless something's changed since I did it a couple years ago.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

The Windows/MacOS versions of Calibre should be able to do that. Unless something's changed since I did it a couple years ago.

I use Calibre for this on OS X but I would like a way to do it from Android directly to Kindle. This is admittedly an edge case and I haven't found much addressing it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I use Calibre for this on OS X but I would like a way to do it from Android directly to Kindle. This is admittedly an edge case and I haven't found much addressing it.

Would sendepubtokindle.com help?

E: oh via USB? Maybe not then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I can't believe I'm having to ask this, as it's something that was solved at the dawn of modern smartphones, but what's everybody's favorite app for playing local music? I just want to play mp3s (actually opus, but whatever) that are on the phone's local storage.

I used to use Google Music for this, but Google Music went away and became Youtube Music, whose interface I really don't like and I can't even tell if it's capable of playing local music files.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
VLC or whatever my phone's built in music app is

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still like PowerAmp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Everyone loves Poweramp. I'm using MediaMonkey because I use it on the desktop, so it made syncing kinda easy (but not very easy, there's some annoyances, I wouldn't recommend switching if you just want to play something on your phone).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I still like PowerAmp.

I'm a diehard music folder listener so PowerAmp on android and WinAmp 5.8 on PC.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm running into an issue that persists across alarm apps: the audio portion of my alarm is not going off while my do not disturb is on. I have both the app whitelisted as allowed to break through the dnd, and the general "alarms" enabled.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
what about your actual alarm volume?

i had mine turned down for a few weeks before i realized

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

All the way up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sup media volume to mute buddy. Isn't autoplay wonderful?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I think I might have found my culprit: one of my dnd schedules is set to start at the same time as my alarm, but had alarms disabled in it's custom settings. :ms:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I'm a diehard music folder listener so PowerAmp on android and WinAmp 5.8 on PC.

Same.

I do tend to use WinAmp to stream radio stations from other parts of my state, and even from different states, more than for playing local files, but when I do, it's absolutely pointed to my Music folder to play everything in it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else have to use the Citrix Secure Suite for work? I'd like to know if it's as bad for other people as it is for me. I changed my password about a week ago and Citrix finally noticed and started throwing up a notification every so often about not being able to connect due to a security policy. I had to clear the app's cache and reboot my phone for it to finally pop the password change dialog, but even after taking a few minutes going through that that flow, it apparently didn't actually take. Are all MDM products this poo poo?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Does anyone else have to use the Citrix Secure Suite for work? I'd like to know if it's as bad for other people as it is for me. I changed my password about a week ago and Citrix finally noticed and started throwing up a notification every so often about not being able to connect due to a security policy. I had to clear the app's cache and reboot my phone for it to finally pop the password change dialog, but even after taking a few minutes going through that that flow, it apparently didn't actually take. Are all MDM products this poo poo?

Assuming that's a competitor to Nine Mail, Nine also doesn't notify me when it can't connect to the servers because my password changed. However, if I open the app, it will tell me, and from there I can easily change my password.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Assuming that's a competitor to Nine Mail, Nine also doesn't notify me when it can't connect to the servers because my password changed. However, if I open the app, it will tell me, and from there I can easily change my password.

I think it's a little more complicated than Nine since it's more than just email. It's a whole separate work profile (if you set it up on your personal phone) - email, browser, plus the ability for my company to package their employee apps like a company directory.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

What to-do app is recommended? Currently using Todoist but I didn't know if there was something better (on a free tier) out there.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I use TickTick and it's good enough for my needs. I haven't used Todoist to compare, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

What to-do app is recommended? Currently using Todoist but I didn't know if there was something better (on a free tier) out there.

I picked it primarily because it was open source and could sync to Nextcloud, but Tasks.org checked everything on my list, if you'll forgive the pun.