Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I found an ogre somewhere (I want to say E1M6) that was completely unresponsive, he didn't react to me standing next to him or shooting him repeatedly. Made a good obstacle for avoiding the fiend, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
im gonna start nightmare dissolution now see if it fares any better than scourge

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it’s hilarious that everyone owns Quake on Steam apparently, but just a tiny fraction have played the re-release so far. All the achievements are at “0.1% People have this” right now.

The most common achievement, finding a secret, is at nearly 20%.

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it’s hilarious that everyone owns Quake on Steam apparently, but just a tiny fraction have played the re-release so far. All the achievements are at “0.1% People have this” right now.

You know that 99.9% of steam users have no idea that Quake got a remaster right? They bought it for $1.00 on some sale and never even installed it.

I too long to live in a world where the wider gaming population loves quake and is excited to immediately replay a twenty five year old game with slight graphical improvements but I think in this one they're all too busy with fortnite and onlyfans.

renzollama fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 25, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

renzollama posted:

You know that 99.9% of steam users have no idea that Quake got a remaster right? They bought it for $1.00 on some sale and never even installed it.

I too long to live in a world where the wider gaming population loves quake and is excited to immediately replay a twenty five year old game with slight graphical improvements but I think in this one they're all too busy with fortnite and onlyfans.
The point was that Quake has probably been picked up by nearly everyone with a Steam account during some sale in the last 15 years, but only a tiny number of people have installed since the remaster and gotten one of the achievements now built in.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A.o.D. posted:

Does the quake remake have Demo compatibility?
Would this prove anything about how faithful it is? My understanding is that .dem files are basically just a log of what every entity does every tic, not like Doom where things have to remain deterministic. So if there are physics / AI changes that wouldn't be reflected in a recording from the original Quake engine.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
dissolution nightmare done.

enemy amounts dont get as stupid as scourge i think, but even when theres a lot of dudes you get a lot of ways to crowd control waht with multi rockets, lava nails and the alt lightning gun, which surprised me with how insane it is given you only use 1 ammo per shot.

the final boss was incredibly awful tho, if anyone is gonna try it make sure youre always chasing the dragon and stay behind it cause it cant shoot you, trying to rocket duel it is a recipe for disaster

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I think scourge is easily the better mission pack of the two. A bit rough around the edges, but there's plenty of memorable setpieces and really aggressive combat setups. It may be quite heavy on the high tier monsters but it throws the lg and huge amounts of rockets at you very early on in each episode. I'm struggling to remember much about dissolution, it was just very bland.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Linguica posted:

Would this prove anything about how faithful it is? My understanding is that .dem files are basically just a log of what every entity does every tic, not like Doom where things have to remain deterministic. So if there are physics / AI changes that wouldn't be reflected in a recording from the original Quake engine.

Pretty much. More specifically it's a straight up recording of the network stream, playing it back treats the demo file as the actual server. Kind of in a strange way, it does make it much like Doom, only Doom's network stream was player inputs rather than entity blobs.

Though I think they just want to play back old speed runs.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 25, 2021

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Quake's pretty good but have you guys heard of this game called Half-Life? Everyone's talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qMO1fMm8FU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

HolyKrap posted:

Quake's pretty good but have you guys heard of this game called Half-Life? Everyone's talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qMO1fMm8FU

This is me at least once a year for over 20 years.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
my best time speedrunning hl1 is about 1h10m iirc

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SPACE HOMOS posted:

For Quake Done Quickest, I've extracted the demo files from the .pak they distribute it in.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pSoZd0wMn5LyrLMoHsBiLTOsfLPXw7N8/view?usp=sharing

Place these files into the Id1 folder and use the following console commands to play them. Due to a limitation of how many demos can be queued with startdemo, each episode is its own alias.
code:
alias ep1 "startdemos start1 e1m1 e1m2 e1m3 e1m4 e1m5 e1m6 e1m7; demos"
alias ep2 "startdemos start2 e2m1 e2m2 e2m3 e2m4 e2m5 e2m6; demos"
alias ep3 "startdemos start3 e3m1 e3m2 e3m3 e3m4 e3m5 e3m6; demos"
alias ep4 "startdemos start4 e4m1 e4m2 e4m3 e4m4 e4m5 e4m6 e4m7; demos"
alias end "startdemos start5 end; demos"
Then either bind a key to each alias or type the alias name in console to start it. Copying and pasting works in Kex.

Edit: This is if you want to watch them in the Kex engine. The .pak from QDQ's website works in other source ports.

Edit 2: FYI, they set the FOV to 110 when you load QDQ.

first, holy poo poo, dude. Kudos.

Linguica posted:

You know what, that makes sense, otherwise machinima like Blahbalicious wouldn't have worked, and Quake's framerate dependent physics would fall apart when people on slower machines tried to watch QDQ demos.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 26, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
nightmare DOPA done.

that took almost an hour, lol, i forgot how short this is. on second replay i notice just how barren and long a lot of hallways are. like, sub scourge/dissolution design. and i can probably anger the yakuza and still count with my bloodied fingerless hand the amount of times shamblers dont come in multiples. one of the stages really straps you for ammo, but it wasnt really that bad, just had to exhaust my shotty. never needed to use the axe thankfully.

anyway next up is dimension of the machine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

For Quake Done Quickest, I've extracted the demo files from the .pak they distribute it in.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pSoZd0wMn5LyrLMoHsBiLTOsfLPXw7N8/view?usp=sharing

Place these files into the Id1 folder and use the following console commands to play them. Due to a limitation of how many demos can be queued with startdemo, each episode is its own alias.
code:
alias ep1 "startdemos start1 e1m1 e1m2 e1m3 e1m4 e1m5 e1m6 e1m7; demos"
alias ep2 "startdemos start2 e2m1 e2m2 e2m3 e2m4 e2m5 e2m6; demos"
alias ep3 "startdemos start3 e3m1 e3m2 e3m3 e3m4 e3m5 e3m6; demos"
alias ep4 "startdemos start4 e4m1 e4m2 e4m3 e4m4 e4m5 e4m6 e4m7; demos"
alias end "startdemos start5 end; demos"
Then either bind a key to each alias or type the alias name in console to start it. Copying and pasting works in Kex.

Edit: This is if you want to watch them in the Kex engine. The .pak from QDQ's website works in other source ports.

Edit 2: FYI, they set the FOV to 110 when you load QDQ.

This is really cool.

:siren: FYI: Anybody playing on Steam, make sure you put the files inside "\rerelease\id1"

For shits and giggles, knowing it likely wouldn't work, I tried throwing some mods in the new remastered Quake. (apparently some of them DO work)

Seal of Nehahra didn't load at all, should have figured. I think it even used a modified exe originally or something.

Quake Team Fortress, interestingly, not only loads but manages to play the first 10 seconds of the intro cutscene where 3 characters run across the bridge on 2fort :eyepop: holy poo poo

Unfortunately at that point the game crashes.

Also, have all of y'all seen the QTF intro? It loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

Ecce gratum
et optatum
Ver reducit gaudia

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 26, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Linguica posted:

Well that'd explain why Quake Rally's demos work in all modern sourceports while actual gameplay has been busted by fixes to whatever bounding-box bug that mod exploited.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Well that'd explain why Quake Rally's demos work in all modern sourceports while actual gameplay has been busted by fixes to whatever bounding-box bug that mod exploited.

Given its notoriety as one of the first non-FPS gameplay mods to an FPS game, part of me is hoping someone at id/ND also has fond memories of messing around in Quake Rally and figures out a workaround :pray:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Well, after all this Quake talk, it's time to go mess around with....Raven's stuff! Let's see how this all goes
(I recently did a replay of Quake/SoA/DoD/Q2/Reck/QZ, I can't do it again)

- Heretic
- Hexen (all 3 classes)
- Hexen expansion (all 3 classes)
- Hexen 2 (all 4 classes)
- Hexen 2 expansion (all 4 classes, and the new class, which means replaying Hexen 2 from scratch)

(Sorry Heretic 2, but apparently you're not cool)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heretic 2 is actually better game than both Hexen 1 and 2.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Guillermus posted:

Heretic 2 is actually better game than both Hexen 1 and 2.

Really? I've heard that its 3rd perspective is pretty janky

(can't confirm for myself though)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Really? I've heard that its 3rd perspective is pretty janky

(can't confirm for myself though)

I loved it. There's a Civvie video if you want to check it out. What I don't get is why there's no release on Steam or GOG considering that it was Raven/Activision like their previous games. Quake 4 was kinda different because it was an id IP, developed by Raven and published by Activision, when Bethesda got id, they got Quake 4 back too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the Civvie video on Heretic 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3SEBXifL7E

I never had much luck getting it to run on a modern machine, though. It's been a while, but I think it crashed after having more than one load screen a session? I might have to give it another spin sometime.

Guillermus posted:

Quake 4 was kinda different because it was an id IP, developed by Raven and published by Activision, when Bethesda got id, they got Quake 4 back too.
Quake 4 took quite a while to get re-released after the Bethesda acquisition, so I suspect it was a separate deal that took a bit of doing.

https://twitter.com/itslunaranyo/status/1430732950090309633

koren
Sep 7, 2003

For those of you who enjoyed the new nightmare mode in the quake re-release, i'd strongly recommend trying out copper's much more developed take on it. Then try playing Underbright overdark, dwell, smej 1&2, the punishment due....

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just reading through the release notes for Underdark Overbright and noticed this

quote:

DarkPlaces is not supported. DarkPlaces is stupidly broken. DarkPlaces is cursed.

also

koren posted:

Underbright overdark

lol

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Me smart.

But in all honesty, copper has solutions to a lot of the common complaints people have had in here with the base game. Very little reason not to try it now.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm replaying Dwell right now and it's still really fuckin' cool!! Waiting on that next episode.

Honestly, I feel like Dwell puts the lie to the idea that Quake's small enemy roster is a major problem for it. I'm actually much more put off by how overstuffed and unfocused Arcane Dimensions feels with its additions.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I must not have played Quake on Hard originally because I can't get past the Shambler in E1M3, and I'm reading that he only appears in Hard mode. I think what I really have to do is just run past him though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I went back to finish Quake 2 and a) lol that it doesn't even take all your chain gun ammo with quad damage to kill the final boss and b) the game hard crashes locking my computer constantly after finishing off the final boss so I'm forced to assume the final cutscene is Johnny Quakezweimarine staring directly into the camera and saying "sorry"

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Convex posted:

Underdark Overbright

I am still unable to read this without mentally adding "Wombling free"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sir Lemming posted:

I must not have played Quake on Hard originally because I can't get past the Shambler in E1M3, and I'm reading that he only appears in Hard mode. I think what I really have to do is just run past him though.

There's two!

Just pull back to the entrance and shoot them from there, nae danger.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jchnsn34Re0&t=954s

I ran into this same bug last night playing Quake on the Switch.
R1M5: Towers of Wrath (Dissolution of Eternity), apparently a Shambler is supposed to spawn near the end there, but he just decided to not show up.

So just a warning, probably worth it to make a hard save at the end of the previous level.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

if you could talk to the shambler, perhaps you could try and make friends with him, form an alliance... now that would be interesting

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

so I'm forced to assume the final cutscene is Johnny Quakezweimarine staring directly into the camera and saying "sorry"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctF-dVNR4jo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sir Lemming posted:

There's only one reliable strategy for killing Shamblers in general, and that's to bait their melee attack over and over. If you can get the timing down for that, they aren't especially challenging individually.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

if you could talk to the shambler, perhaps you could try and make friends with him, form an alliance... now that would be interesting
*sighs and googles hquake*

Oh thank god.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
here's some old Quake stuff (full album of my old scans here https://imgur.com/gallery/R755A)

Advertising

Previews

Reviews

Multiplayer

Comic by someone I can't remember, don't think he went on to do much

?

also something time something flat circle something

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 26, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
56k no way

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Does anyone remember the magazine article that said you should being using WASD+mouse? I remember a friend telling me about using that instead of just the keyboard. I think that was around the release of Quake 2 though.

I do remember setting my rate to 2000 while playing quakeworld over modem though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Third person shooters should be illegal.