Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Vishass posted:

CT scan of normal lungs vs a guy with covid from an article in the AJC following a 24 year old's treatment

https://www.ajc.com/blake/#part1

holy gently caress. double lung transplant because covid turned this guy's lungs into pounded bits of wiener schnitzel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zurtilik posted:

Don't worry though I'm still coming into work at the job where I just mess with Excel all day. Definitely need to be in person for this!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My lungs finally recovered from living with a 2 pack a day smoker for 20+ years and now they're gonna get fukt again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vishass posted:

CT scan of normal lungs vs a guy with covid from an article in the AJC following a 24 year old's treatment

You are now involuntarily taking a deep breath to check your lung capacity

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Maybe I’m misremembering, but wasn’t Florida doing some weird poo poo with their numbers over the fall/winter wave? The article is doing this both-sides thing, but I seem to remember a lot of rightful skepticism over the articles saying that unvaccinated, unmasked Florida had great numbers.

Norton posted:

anti vaxxers are endemic now. we need to learn to live with them

There’s a pretty obvious solution that worked great for polio, but nobody’s even trying to do it because we decided people’s beliefs are more important than what actually happens. If you’ve got something workable that’s better than playing defense, I’m listening.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

etalian posted:

When you hit accelerator on the car even though the bridge is obviously out.

Why flatten the curve when you can jump it

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I need to quit posting and find something to do for a little. I'm definitely screaming into the void here. :crackping: as it were.

But I just want to say that I was definitely on the whole "Humans are good despite how lovely they can be and the arc of time is largely going in favor of 'good'" but eh, these last few years have really ruined everything.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i'm going to get vaccinated but i think anti vaxxers do have some good points, like it's really hard to just see all these 5g towers around and somehow around the same time suddenly everyone is getting sick

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

If New York was fudging the numbers there's no way these other states aren't. Especially places run by a death cult like Florida.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Real Mean Queen posted:

Maybe I’m misremembering, but wasn’t Florida doing some weird poo poo with their numbers over the fall/winter wave? The article is doing this both-sides thing, but I seem to remember a lot of rightful skepticism over the articles saying that unvaccinated, unmasked Florida had great numbers.

I don't remember anything specific about what they were doing last fall, but I know last summer(?) they had thousands of "pneumonia" listed every week that were quite suspect.

I think they also flipped a chart to make it look like cases were going down.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

COLUMBIA, S.C. —
All the major Upstate health systems will unite for a virtual news conference to give an update on what organizers called the "evolving and concerning COVID-19 situation."

Prisma Health manager of media relations said in a release Wednesday evening the Zoom briefing was scheduled for noon Thursday.

Thank god. For a second it was looking like we weren't going to do anything about it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

coke posted:

i just saw the second person with a half face 3m respirator few days ago since pandemic began, while out getting some groceries

in south island of nz

Everyone in my area wears masks too despite not being a hotspot. It's the working class areas where the spread happens.

I'm really hoping that NZ beats it, don't get me wrong. I'm just worried.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mawarannahr posted:

Cling Film Plastic Wrap Emerge as Alternative to Cadaver Bags in Large-Scale Disasters

:lol: I take this to mean they are palletizing corpses because capitalism is an efficient solver of problems. Get Packed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K555NMquAnM

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
just shot an email off to the head of my program to say 'hey, less than 1/3rd of the undergrad students are following the masking 'expectation' and multiple phd students are doing the same. likewise vaccination rates for the student population are as low as 11%. are we going to have a virtual option anytime soon or are we just hoping that we only have a handful of students die?'

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr. Nice! posted:

just shot an email off to the head of my program to say 'hey, less than 1/3rd of the undergrad students are following the masking 'expectation' and multiple phd students are doing the same. likewise vaccination rates for the student population are as low as 11%. are we going to have a virtual option anytime soon or are we just hoping that we only have a handful of students die?'

Are you fired yet

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Gonna send an absolute banger of an e-mail to HR tomorrow! Won't do poo poo, but maybe I'll get fired.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

the anti vaxxers are endemic comment was meant to be a joke on all those "covid is endemic, why thats not a bad thing" articles. i think there is a lot we can do, and vaccine mandates would do a whole lot to shut those people down.

you may be so firm in your anti vax belief that you will die from covid, but are you anti vax enough to lose your job for your belief? to stop getting on airplanes and cruises? i know an anti vax lady who's whole reasoning was "im a trump voter, so i wont be getting the vaccine". but then she realized she couldnt fly to visit her family in Asia without a vaccine so she just immediately got it. I think a lot of these people are anti vaccine because it's a belief you can pursue with 0 effort. it's the easiest option. if you make it uncomfortable for them, many will decide they dont hate vaccines so much anymore

Norton fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 26, 2021

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pillowpants posted:

HHS data 8/26

ICUs with >4% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 9 states
ICUs with 2-3% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 14 states
ICUs with 0-2% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 17 states
ICUS with a decrease in patients or shoddy data: 10 states

Hospitalizations
The Raw data seems to indicate that New England is about to popoff. If MA has 87% of its beds full, that seems like a problem.

I’m not so sure of that yet. the places going nuts have COVID taking up 18%+ of beds and test positivity like 15%+. New England is more like 3% of beds and test positivity of like 4-5%. And it may be decelerating.

I’m not saying it won’t be a surge, but I don’t think we will look like the South anytime soon.

*screenshots for 3 wks from now*

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

My co-worker finally got vaxxed. So that's nice.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Why does Unicef want kids to die go back to school so badly?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Vishass posted:

It is every American’s right to choose to have lungs that they found stuck under a seat at the greyhound station, everyone who makes fun of our country is just jealous of that freedom

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Palladium posted:

Are you fired yet

nah i'm a student as well. i'll get a 'yeah, things suck, but we're doing all we're allowed to do by the school who is deathly afraid of landing in desantis' crosshairs'

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Zurtilik posted:

My co-worker finally got vaxxed. So that's nice.

it’s the little things that are nice now. I have to work in a lab with someone for about an hour today, and found myself thinking about times since vax to ballpark where the titers are at. I’m about 4 months past fully vax and the other person is about 2 months?

So, yea, that’s nice I guess

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

where I am they did that. tablets/ computers for everybody and hotspots if one was needed.

the problem is you don’t get do overs on developmental windows .

that and I’m not sure you get how trash remote was. it was here’s a power point for your kindergartners. where I am they tried for time equity to normal instruction too, which was just a fantastically stupid choice.

basically everything you can think of well just do this way, they did the opposite.

Remote as garbage, the problem is that remote being garbage is being used as a justification to reopen everything and put kids back in schools and gently caress the consequences.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

Bravo. Keep this one in your back pocket come January/February when we're peaking again but the NFL soldiers on.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
What happens in 2 weeks?

quote:

ANDERSON, SC (FOX CAROLINA) - The Anderson District 1 announced it is asking all students and staff to voluntarily wear face masks for two weeks.

According to the District, as of Monday, August 23 they have reported 87 positive Covid cases since school began.

The District said for the next two weeks, beginning Thursday, August 26 and ending Friday, September 10, all students and staff will be asked to wear face masks inside school facilities and on school buses.

The District said it believes this measure will decrease the number and spread of cases in the schools and keep the students in school for face-to-face instruction.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Norton posted:

the anti vaxxers are endemic comment was meant to be a joke on all those "covid is endemic, why thats not a bad thing" articles. i think there is a lot we can do, and vaccine mandates would do a whole lot to shut those people down.

you may be so firm in your anti vax belief that you will die from covid, but are you anti vax enough to lose your job for your belief? to stop getting on airplanes and cruises? i know an anti vax lady who's whole reasoning was "im a trump voter, so i wont be getting the vaccine". but then she realized she couldnt fly to visit her family in Asia without a vaccine so she just immediately got it. I think a lot of these people are anti vaccine because it's a belief you can purse with 0 effort. it's the easiest option. if you make it uncomfortable to them, many will decide they dont hate vaccines so much anymore

isn't it funny how people are like oh no i can't see my family anymore that i hate going to see every christmas because uncle paul ends up getting drunk and touching the children inappropriately every year and then the ones too old for paul keep ranting about how many digital diamonds they own and try to tell me one third of a satoshi is a great christmas gift and then i realise maybe ive lost touch with reality, but most of them are just sitting on their phones all night anyway so gently caress it, may as well get blasted at home with my own form of escape

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Sphyre posted:

gimme the dang covid coexist gang tag

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zurtilik posted:

But I just want to say that I was definitely on the whole "Humans are good despite how lovely they can be and the arc of time is largely going in favor of 'good'" but eh, these last few years have really ruined everything.

lmao at just realising this. I remember watching Agent Smith say humans are a virus as a teenager in 1999 and being like :hmmyes:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

What happens in 2 weeks?

Haven't you heard? COVID will be over.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I miss visiting my grandma/grandpa without wondering if my visit will kill them. I don't miss my dumb loving CHUD aunts and uncles and I'm so happy I haven't had to see most of them for like 18 months.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Everyone in my area wears masks too despite not being a hotspot. It's the working class areas where the spread happens.

I'm really hoping that NZ beats it, don't get me wrong. I'm just worried.

yeah in some ways im glad that pretty much everything is closed including the hardware stores unlike bunnings in au

and they've stepped their game now and seem to label any sort of 'fleeting contact' as potential spread, hence the huge amount of location of interest and crazy numbers of possible contacts, so hopefully this will be enough to stop the spread

but you're right and poo poo might still explode

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

Gonna send an absolute banger of an e-mail to HR tomorrow! Won't do poo poo, but maybe I'll get fired.

Many people are doing this. I think pmcs are spooked because proles are starting to speak out. Whether what they're saying is crackpottery or wise elucidation like we do :smuggo:

Getting strong signals that the old status quo is done lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

My boss is all in on work from home and is tired of being asked when and if work from home is going to start again. He is basically just like "gently caress, I don't know anymore, send an e-mail to HR they obviously aren't listening to me."

coke
Jul 12, 2009
also it was refreshing to see nz's pm straight up telling the journalist about the sydney walk-by infection case that we doomers mentioned a few times in this thread, seems like they really do know how serious this poo poo is and hopefully they are prepped enough for it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
E: wrong link

https://twitter.com/ChrisPolPsych/status/1430676934250221569

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 26, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The blob is what your lungs turn into after covid