Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

Show me one cool themed home console (Nintendo handhelds don't count because there are some legitimately great ones).

There are none that I can think of. I know the industry can't be *that* filled with just total poo poo designers. It's like the GPU card box designers from the early aughts all got moved into custom console design. Goddamnit it should not be *that* hard to get a cool custom console.

edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I still want an R2D2 360

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Consoles should be played, not seen.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Having both of these on store shelves is going to be loving wild.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

Except my 2 year old son. He loving loves that button apparently.

Barudak posted:

I do, because I like screenshotting weird bugs and text glitches I encounter.

It is also not worth it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Not true - I like taking screenshots and also dislike when my finger brushes the button and takes one by accident.

I dont even really use the profile button on my elite v2, only to play one other game that wont let me customise my controller layout.

I used to take heaps of captures when it was a voice command but guide + X is a bit too janky and i mostly forget in the heat of the moment.

For all its faults the Kinect voice controls were actually really useful.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Yeah man. That's wild. I can hardly even imagine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yeah man. That's wild. I can hardly even imagine.

OMG IT WILL BE SO INSANE CAN YOU IMAGINE THE EPIC LULS TO BE HAD STANDING IN THE AISLE OF GAMES AT THE GAME STORE LOLOLOL

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

If you're gonna do limited edition consoles they should be goofy poo poo like the translucent green OG Xbox, otherwise what's the point. You could just sell decals for that Halo Series X and it would look pretty much the same.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

People were complaining that the Saints Row reboot looked "woke" and people who say that are usually dumb, so I was expecting it to be better than it was. I was never a fan of the originals but turning it into Fortnite GTA isn't gonna convert me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EapnHZ6u-OY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was kinda always that, the trailer has the right vibe but I’m going to remain sceptical until I actually play it because there’s so many ways you can screw up a Saints Row reboot.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Roman posted:

People were complaining that the Saints Row reboot looked "woke" and people who say that are usually dumb, so I was expecting it to be better than it was. I was never a fan of the originals but turning it into Fortnite GTA isn't gonna convert me.

Because there is a lot of content in the original games that is questionable at best. I love SR, and that trailer looks fun. I’m all about a big goofy gta-like game about a group of friends who retain the energy of the original crew without trying to be edge lords the entire time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ultrachrist posted:

I don't know even know what my series x looks like, it's hidden somewhere behind the tv.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Psychonauts 3, now, dammit

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ultrachrist posted:

My series x has to sit behind the tv because it's 2 mm shy of being able to fit in the entertainment center nook. Xbox big again, but at least it can stand upright and look like a weird Comcast modem or something.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ever since discovering the spice orange GameCube exists I have always wanted one, even though at this point I think it would basically be an F-Zero machine since Killer7 has an amazing Steam port now. I did browse eBay and there seemed to be some good bundles, and I had no idea the GC had a GBA adapter which does make it a more appealing purchase but still. It looks so good, though :3:

Barudak posted:

Psychonauts 3, now, dammit

Given the reception it has had I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. The reviews have been glowing and I think it's probably one of DF's most successful projects? Would feel like a waste if they didn't continue along the same path given they'd been coasting on remasters of adventure games for a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unless this thing gets bodied in player interaction Im sure they'll make a third, but like, I want a third now already. The quality and creativity is just fantastic

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

My series x has to sit behind the tv because it's 2 mm shy of being able to fit in the entertainment center nook. Xbox big again, but at least it can stand upright and look like a weird Comcast modem or something.

Im trying to be a new TV unit and it is very annoying trying to find one that can accommodate the series X.

I would have totally gone for a series X without the disc drive. I dont have any disc games any more.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Haven't played the original or the sequel but know the first is BC and after seeing Jhonen Vasquez tell everyone to buy it and reading some comments I'm curious if it has the same kind of humor as Invader Zim? I know basically nothing about Psychonauts.

Also, that Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl game looks like a really awesome Smash clone and I hope it ends up being good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

I thought they changed the series x boxes

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Roman posted:

Eh, it reminds both of the aesthetics of the third (not good) and the fourth (good), but with a new setting? In any case, it does have potential.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Nothing wrong with that trailer, not sure why people are already deciding what the game is gonna be like. It's just a regular old reveal trailer, I'll wait until I see some gameplay before getting all opinionated and insulted about video games.

Gamers are whiny babbies.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Which Saints Row game was the one like Crackdown where you could jump super high and had a fancy neon monster truck and uh, I think aliens were invading? That's the only one I played and it was pretty fun. Don't know why I never finished it but if it wasn't perpetually nighttime I could have been convinced it was a Crackdown game.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

Which Saints Row game was the one like Crackdown where you could jump super high and had a fancy neon monster truck and uh, I think aliens were invading? That's the only one I played and it was pretty fun. Don't know why I never finished it but if it wasn't perpetually nighttime I could have been convinced it was a Crackdown game.

That was Saints Row IV.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new Saints Row looks like it's trying to find a middle ground between SR2 and 3's varying levels of restraint/sanity/etc. I'm not opposed to it, but they've only shown like 30 heavily-edited seconds of gameplay so I'll have to wait and see more.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ultrachrist posted:

Nah. You can always hide it if you want it to not be seen...

But good product design is fun! It should be celebrated and be a part of the consoles history.

I mean we're talking about loving video game consoles. They should lean into it sometimes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Nah. You can always hide it if you want it to not be seen...

But good product design is fun! It should be celebrated and be a part of the consoles history.

the ps5 is the worst looking console i've ever seen, and i own a ps3

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the ps5 is the worst looking console i've ever seen, and i own a ps3

I said "good* product design.

The PS5 is not good product design.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PS5 was designed for people who draw anime personifications of tech products, and then Sony shut down their Japan studios so the design would be the most interesting thing about it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I thought they changed the series x boxes

From what I'm seeing online only the Microsoft-made stuff has the updated boxes. Not sure if it's a Microsoft thing or someone at EA didn't get the updated templates and these are just placeholders, which they'd better be because that's going to be rough for retail workers otherwise. Even the Call of Duty packaging does a better job of laying out what's what, and Call of Duty also weirdly has a leg up because its "Series X version" SKU does still work in an XB1; it sort-of turns it into a Smart Delivery disc (has a tiny "cross-gen version license" DLC added onto the disc that gets installed also) while the cheaper "XB1 version" SKU doesn't have that small DLC and so only installs and gives you the native XB1 version.

So much complexity and drama over :10bux:, you'd think it posted here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

From what I'm seeing online only the Microsoft-made stuff has the updated boxes. Not sure if it's a Microsoft thing or someone at EA didn't get the updated templates and these are just placeholders, which they'd better be because that's going to be rough for retail workers otherwise. Even the Call of Duty packaging does a better job of laying out what's what, and Call of Duty also weirdly has a leg up because its "Series X version" SKU does still work in an XB1; it sort-of turns it into a Smart Delivery disc (has a tiny "cross-gen version license" DLC added onto the disc that gets installed also) while the cheaper "XB1 version" SKU doesn't have that small DLC and so only installs and gives you the native XB1 version.

So much complexity and drama over :10bux:, you'd think it posted here.

this cross-gen poo poo is an absolute disaster. it's bad enough with cases like this on xbox but on ps5 it is a total nightmare

thanks xbox for smart delivery

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I was bummed to find out that my Bluetooth speakers don't work with my series S. I can even hook up the controller to something else with Bluetooth! I figured that's what they were using. Oh well.

Currently using old wired ipod headphones. I think I'm gonna get one of those new wired Xbox branded headset things, they look nice, and I figure will have like a black friday deal in a few months.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you could probably buy a cheap USB-bluetooth dongle

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

you could probably buy a cheap USB-bluetooth dongle

This is true. I just wanted to show my wife Psychonauts but didn't want to share an earbud like it was a 2003 bus ride.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

External Organs posted:

I was bummed to find out that my Bluetooth speakers don't work with my series S. I can even hook up the controller to something else with Bluetooth! I figured that's what they were using. Oh well.

Currently using old wired ipod headphones. I think I'm gonna get one of those new wired Xbox branded headset things, they look nice, and I figure will have like a black friday deal in a few months.

Bluetooth audio in general is a bit of a mess, it's tough to eliminate lag which is pretty critical with video games.

This is why gaming headsets rarely support Bluetooth even on PC but rather come with their own dongles.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Zat posted:

Bluetooth audio in general is a bit of a mess, it's tough to eliminate lag which is pretty critical with video games.

This is why gaming headsets rarely support Bluetooth even on PC.

Huh. I guess it is a super old standard/technology. Roger that!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Double Fine should do a good Brutal Legend now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Double Fine should do a good Brutal Legend now.

Fuller Throttle

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

brutal legend was one of the most brazen bait-and-switches i've ever seen, what a peice of crap

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

brutal legend was one of the most brazen bait-and-switches i've ever seen, what a peice of crap

I ended up liking it on a replay years later but yeah they didn't really market it as a real time strategy action game. I don't think I finished because it gets pretty tough. I remember an undead area with gothic screamy metal music and I think I stopped there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jolo posted:

I ended up liking it on a replay years later but yeah they didn't really market it as a real time strategy action game. I don't think I finished because it gets pretty tough. I remember an undead area with gothic screamy metal music and I think I stopped there.

The game also just stops about there