Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if only some intrepid nation were developing a secret microwave gun that could warm up our insides

You are now imagining excited chuds lining up to get into lumber microwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1430878596994850818?s=19

Doesnt seem ideal

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Covok posted:

Cheaper to clean that admit its impossible to actually protect workers and thus the only moral thing would be to pay them to stay home.

Capitalism is inherently immoral, after all.

That was the finding of the OSHA Guidance that sleepy joe decided to get rid of as part of his "Believe Science Campaign"

I know the biggest peak at workplace this month was 40 cases in week and this was for a site which already operating at reduced capacity.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Joementum posted:

someone quickly show Clarence Thomas the John Adams miniseries where Giamatti vaccinates his kid against smallpox

Sorry, Adams isn't a real founding father because he didn't own slaves, them's the rules in demon cracker nation

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

if you read the article it's a supply chain issue in addition to a demand problem. delivery companies refuse to pay better or offer better benefits, can't get drivers, oxygen doesn't get delivered.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lastgirl posted:

*snnuuuuuuuooooooooowooooooo-SNNIFFFFT*

"oh my bad, did u want some fresh oxygen, sorry only lungchads can handle rarified Mt. Everest air in a can, your o2s can't saturate like mine breathelet"

I feel like the last 5 years have ruined my perception on humanity. Despite being 27, I was born in 1993 and thus just as close to Zoomers as I am to Millennials. I feel like pre-2016, my perceptions were closer to Millennials, discontent because what was promised wasn't there and believing that reforms could get us what our parent's had. Now? I feel like we're doomed. That our parents got what they did by a mix of a post-war economic fluke mixed with mortgaging away their species' future. That they'll get away with it and we will live long enough to go extinct for their sins. I don’t believe in an afterlife so every boomer and silent generation or conservative Gen Xer who dies before the current and ongoing mass deatg event, and the many who follow, are "getting away with it" and the richest ones who led the charge for this evil more fervently will absolutely see no punishment.

In short, nothing loving matters and I absolutely can see rich people flaunting how they never got sick so their lungs are able to appreciate air better and this becoming a major class signifier in 10-30 years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish I had a Nutty Bar

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

VomitOnLino posted:

You're lucky. I get mails from HR every morning detailing the positive cases. One time it was loving eight in a single day.
Yet, in all the time I've seen these mails no one is ever considered to have been in "close contact" (scare quotes HRs) with each anyone. :thunk:

Edit: It's usuall one line of unformulated text per each case. And then two paragraphs about how we wiped the desk and the copier and the pencils and the elevator and everything is so clean and please don't sue us. :qq:

the HR departments of places I work with are all maintaining that ‘close contact’ isn’t a concern is one party is vaccinated

lmao

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Iron Crowned posted:

Seems like a good time to repost my workplace's effort at combating COVID:

I love (hate) how this is beat for beat absolutely loving identical to the notes in my office.
Love that across oceans and cultures it's the same type of end-stage capitalism and thus same type of BS.
Also shows the absolute death of imagination

Whoever said that it is being done because it fulfills two key criteria was right:
a) It's very cheap to do since the cleaning staff usually clean the office anyway and hey they're minimum-wage slaves - having them work an extra 2h every day to deep clean everything pointlessly is nearly no overhead
b) You are not doing nothing, which would look bad, from the point of plausible deniability

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the HR departments of places I work with are all maintaining that ‘close contact’ isn’t a concern is one party is vaccinated

lmao

My work place apparently invested in special COVID protective desks in the 80's because if you sit at them you don't need to wear a mask!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lady Militant posted:

if you read the article it's a supply chain issue in addition to a demand problem. delivery companies refuse to pay better or offer better benefits, can't get drivers, oxygen doesn't get delivered.

wait the problem is capitalism?!?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Iron Crowned posted:

My work place apparently invested in special COVID protective desks in the 80's because if you sit at them you don't need to wear a mask!

email joe@whitehouse.gov

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Iron Crowned posted:

My boss insists he doesn't have to wear his mask in his tyrant booth, when it's open at the top like all modern open office booths. lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Impkins Patootie posted:

lol at giamatti playing john adams

he was really good!

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1430875522465255429

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Schools opened up this week here locally. Things gonna get real bad in 2 weeks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no, it’s lazy people not being willing to sacrifice

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

:yeeclaw:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

You know that vaccines aren't the thing that they protect against right

Serf
May 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no, that can't be right. i was told that capitalism is the most efficient way to allocate resources, and further more encoded into our dna as the only true economic model

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Their stupidity is one of the worst existential threats to society. Lol lmao

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

that and markets being actually a poo poo mode of distribution for resources like this which goes back way beyond the existence of capitalism.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Lady Militant posted:

speaking of supply chains, not as life-and-death, but friend of a friend in logistics says "you should buy your christmas presents right now"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
36% of cases in tennessee are kids. this matches kentucky which also sees 1/3 of cases are kids. this seems not good

https://www.wkrn.com/news/children-now-account-for-36-of-tennessees-virus-cases/

quote:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Children now make up 36% of Tennessee’s reported COVID-19 cases, marking yet another sobering milestone in the state’s battle against the highly contagious delta variant, Health Commissioner Lisa Piercey said Wednesday.

“We had 14,000 pediatric cases in the last seven days, which is a 57% increase over the week prior,” Piercey told reporters. “Right now, 36% of all of our cases in the state are among children when it’s historically been in the 10 to 15% range.”

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oxygen is all around u. just use ur nose to breathe. bing bong so simple

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VomitOnLino posted:

I love (hate) how this is beat for beat absolutely loving identical to the notes in my office.
Love that across oceans and cultures it's the same type of end-stage capitalism and thus same type of BS.
Also shows the absolute death of imagination

Whoever said that it is being done because it fulfills two key criteria was right:
a) It's very cheap to do since the cleaning staff usually clean the office anyway and hey they're minimum-wage slaves - having them work an extra 2h every day to deep clean everything pointlessly is nearly no overhead
b) You are not doing nothing, which would look bad, from the point of plausible deniability

My (least) favorite part of this whole debacle is there is no real documented COVID policy at my work place. It basically involves the GM checking the official CDC color of the county.

If it's red, they lock the front gate, because COVID doesn't know about the super secret, well marked gate that the shipments arrive in. Some people get to work from home every other day, and masks in the hallways are ~strongly~ enforced (Ron Howardishly: They aren't)

This continues until the CDC changes the county color to orange again.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Gonna put my O2 stockpile right next to my beans.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

he was really good!

no doubt

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Covok posted:

I feel like the last 5 years have ruined my perception on humanity. Despite being 27, I was born in 1993 and thus just as close to Zoomers as I am to Millennials. I feel like pre-2016, my perceptions were closer to Millennials, discontent because what was promised wasn't there and believing that reforms could get us what our parent's had. Now? I feel like we're doomed. That our parents got what they did by a mix of a post-war economic fluke mixed with mortgaging away their species' future. That they'll get away with it and we will live long enough to go extinct for their sins. I don’t believe in an afterlife so every boomer and silent generation or conservative Gen Xer who dies before the current and ongoing mass deatg event, and the many who follow, are "getting away with it" and the richest ones who led the charge for this evil more fervently will absolutely see no punishment.

In short, nothing loving matters and I absolutely can see rich people flaunting how they never got sick so their lungs are able to appreciate air better and this becoming a major class signifier in 10-30 years.

that’s the quarter-life crisis

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
duke now recommending students wear masks outdoors lmao

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2021/08/duke-university-mask-mandate-outdoor-indoor-vaccine-covid-coronavirus-test

quote:

Duke now “strongly recommends” that masks are worn outdoors, according to a Thursday morning email sent to faculty and staff from Provost Sally Kornbluth and Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh

The email noted that there has been a surge of COVID-19 cases at Duke, locally and nationally. Most positive cases are among fully vaccinated people, with the majority being asymptomatic and the rest having minor cold or flu-like symptoms.

why are we going through the motions of reopening schools again?? hubris? blind optimism?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

etalian posted:

I love how companies are still fixated on "deep cleaning" even though the most recent shows it spreads a respiratory aerosol disease.

Wash hands with Hot water and Soap!

Good Soap!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

turns out the reason our office implemented a mask policy again on Monday was because THERE’S A HUGE OUTBREAK IN THE BUILDING WITH FOUR OF THE SEVEN DEPARTMENTS HAVING SO MANY CASES THEY’RE STRAIGHT UP CLOSED

They didn’t mention this on the e-mail. just strongly suggested wearing masks and maybe get the vaccine.

lol

lmao

I’m in danger

You aren't allowed to die until after battlefield 2042 comes out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mod sassinator posted:

duke now recommending students wear masks outdoors lmao

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2021/08/duke-university-mask-mandate-outdoor-indoor-vaccine-covid-coronavirus-test

why are we going through the motions of reopening schools again?? hubris? blind optimism?

To get the parents back to work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lmao

https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1430902643153522702?s=20

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
beautiful quotes inside this article about the hellscape of florida schools: https://bocanewsnow.com/2021/08/26/update-palm-beach-county-school-district-reports-2249-covid-cases/

quote:

”Parents are more interested in playing tennis, getting a massage, or going to ‘the club’ than they are keeping their sniffling, coughing children home,” said a Calusa teacher who asked not be identified but also raised concern last year. “Our administrators need to aggressively tell these elitist parents that they can not send their kids to school if they are even sneezing.”

Another teacher at the school shared a similar sentiment.

”These are some of the worst parents I’ve ever seen. If your child is not feeling well, or appears to be not feeling well, stay home. We are not a dumping ground for third graders with runny noses and low fevers.

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

We didn't have a local HR person for about 2 years, after the old one got promoted to the parent company after 25 years. For all this time, our HR was now located 300 miles away.

A couple months ago, we got a local one. I think all she does is run around and gossip with the other people who's jobs are mostly worthless, like the receptionist, sales, and accounting.

We've had a couple new hires recently, and for each of them she's sent out an information sheet on them. This sheet is like something you'd give a middle school student at the beginning of the year, right down to the weirdly childish formatting for a manufacturing facility.

She's also been codifying certain policies that were just sorta a couple lines in the handbook. Every one of them is badly worded.

I recall some smarter goon than I, in some long lost thread saying that people who go into HR as a career majored in high school, and goddamn if it isn't obvious with this one.

I don’t know why you are calling peoples jobs “worthless”

this seems like a pretty misogynist post over all

just being real with you.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
*beep* *beep* *beep* back that school bus into the third grader dump! let 'em all out, just dump all the kids off there.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
HR is worthless though.

Most jobs are worthless. We shouldn't be doing them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also lmao

https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1430884525169598466?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

idk why they never made a Sideways 2