Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this cross-gen poo poo is an absolute disaster. it's bad enough with cases like this on xbox but on ps5 it is a total nightmare

thanks xbox for smart delivery

No thanks to the multiple companies that refuse to smarten their respective deliveries.

And yeah, it's super-annoying with PS5 especially with saves. It's even more infurating for games with a bad system since there are games that do the save thing well, like A Plague Tale: Innocence has a really slick invisible cloud save system on their backend that lets you switch between PS4/PS5 play transparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I couldnt download an update on ps5 cause of no ssd space so i go into the files and theres hidden ps4 versions of every game installed ftw taking up hundreds of gb of room

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1430908245367918602

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
e; nm

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I haven't really been paying attention to tech stuff this last year. Is the Series S a fine choice for a 1080p TV that the only game really being played on is Minecraft.

I guess what I am asking is the S version of Minecraft any "better" over the XB1 version or is it a pointless hardware upgrade right now?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Awesome, maybe now I'll finally play ZoE.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

owls or something posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to tech stuff this last year. Is the Series S a fine choice for a 1080p TV that the only game really being played on is Minecraft.

I guess what I am asking is the S version of Minecraft any "better" over the XB1 version or is it a pointless hardware upgrade right now?

If you’re only playing minecraft than there’s no reason to upgrade. There isn’t an S|X version and some of the inventory stuff is wonky and slow even on a series x.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I couldnt download an update on ps5 cause of no ssd space so i go into the files and theres hidden ps4 versions of every game installed ftw taking up hundreds of gb of room

I'm on the PS5 beta update and they're fixing a lot of this fuckery with it, which is good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I guess while we're in the neighborhood of shitposting about which console to get here are the different Xboxes and their use cases.

- Neither Series console supports Kinect at all, even with the USB adapter, so if you have a kids' system setup for Just Dance or similar stick with Xbox One; the Series versions can only be played with the smartphone app to make your smartphone into a waggle stick, there are no other control options.

If you already have an Xbox One as a spare/kids' system it might not be worth upgrading, as mentioned above Minecraft doesn't have Series enhancements at this time.

- Series S might make a good travel system especially if you backed that kickstarter screen attachment, however it has no optical drive so it's mega-dependent on having internet wherever you're going so bear that in mind.

- Series X on top of having the highest quality pixels has an optical drive, however with the exception of discs which ONLY work on a Series X (no XB1 compatibility), internet is required when you install a game from disc before it's playable, even if the game doesn't have a patch. All cross-gen discs (Smart Delivery or otherwise) only contain XB1 version data and will do a full download of the Series X version, so expect 30+ gigs of downloading for the bulk of these titles. Note that even a lot of the Series X-only discs require big patches for the games to be playable, like an 80-something gig download for NBA 2K21 because 2K is insanely cheap and gets the least storage possible for all versions (I think no matter what console you get NBA 2K21 for there's at least a 30-gig download waiting for you, even on Switch).

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I have tossed my series S into my suitcase to take to my in laws house. That was pretty nice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

External Organs posted:

I have tossed my series S into my suitcase to take to my in laws house. That was pretty nice.

My main issue is I live in a rural-heavy region and while I have access to gigabit internet my dad gets 3 megabits/sec and I've used other internet connections that are sub-1 megabit too. And these areas often don't have cell reception either. So if the console gets a sniff of the existence of a random new 30-gigabyte update it's done.

And I might wind up moving to one of these areas at some point which is going to make things interesting for gaming and media.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Shut up everyone

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1430936395795767296

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Myst has absolutely nothing to offer a world that isn't trying to justify their purchase of a CD-ROM drive

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

TheScott2K posted:

Myst has absolutely nothing to offer a world that isn't trying to justify their purchase of a CD-ROM drive

It offers 1000 achievement points

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Lol

I’m the single human male on the planet that hasn’t played it despite being the ideal age when it was released so I was gonna check it out, but even now it looks boring as poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It wasn't even good when it was new. The 7th Guest was released first and was more technically impressive in a lot of ways.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ok, I'm good to uninstall now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GigaPeon posted:

Ok, I'm good to uninstall now.

It's like three more steps to get the good ending too lol, but I was going to do exactly that also so I can't judge

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Happy Hedonist posted:

Lol

I’m the single human male on the planet that hasn’t played it despite being the ideal age when it was released so I was gonna check it out, but even now it looks boring as poo poo.

I don't know if the remake is like this but RealMyst is a far better way to experience Myst in 2021. One area is basically a tiresome maze in the original Myst because of the limited camera and repetitive environment, but with a free camera it's the shortest, simplest area in the game.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Myst is a cool game. It's also from 1993, so you know, temper your expectations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walking around it with full range of motion makes it feel even tinier than it already really was. Not a fan of the re-recorded audio either but I guess you can only reuse it for so long lol

I wonder how much the randomize puzzles option can really do?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Myst is a cool game. It's also from 1993, so you know, temper your expectations.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I loved it when it came out and spent so much time with it.

Myst was the first "this isn't a real game" event in the hobby I remember, though. Just lots of gamers getting real mad about it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Lol, I distinctly remember when Myst first came out, I had to convince my parents to upgrade our computer's RAM so I could play it. 4MB to 8MB, wow it's lightning fast now!

vv Yes I got bored pretty quickly

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 27, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bees everywhere posted:

Lol, I distinctly remember when Myst first came out, I had to convince my parents to upgrade our computer's RAM so I could play it. 4MB to 8MB, wow it's lightning fast now!

The boredom is lightning fast!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finding the people who are angry about Myst in 2021 must be like those remote Pacific Islands where Japanese soldiers thought they were still fighting WW2.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I’m just impressed that the Xbox BC team were able to port HyperCard to the console.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Myst was really cool when I played it when it was new. I skipped a lot of classes that week. I'm not sure I want to revisit it though, given how far games have come since then.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Awesome, maybe now I'll finally play ZoE.

The second one is really good, but the only reason the first one existed in the first place is to pack in a Metal Gear 2 demo with it. It’s half a game and barely even that.

It’s short enough that it’s worth seeing though. It might set up 2’s story as well, I don’t remember.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Happy Hedonist posted:

Lol

I remember seeing it every time I'd go to rent a game as a kid and thinking "it looks cool, but I don't even get what you do", so I never played it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Ohhh. Melty Blood is coming to the Xbox. I'd pick it up but I don't think my TV can fit in the bathroom.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s been like 15 years, but I remember Myst having some real deal puzzles. Like you couldn’t solve one without help if you were/are tone deaf.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there some way to get reminded when a Games with Gold offer goes up? It's annoying because some of them are staggered claim dates

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Everyone should download and play Samurai Shodown 2. Without hyperbole It's one of the best fighters ever made. Games with gold really resurrects online for these games too. I've been playing Garou pretty frequently since it was on gold and over a year later I still get matches in tekken 6 with good connections in under a minute and it's not just with the same couple of people either.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

404notfound posted:

Is there some way to get reminded when a Games with Gold offer goes up? It's annoying because some of them are staggered claim dates

Dunno but I've set reminders on Google Calendar on the 1st and 16th that repeat monthly. It sends an alert into my Gmail as well as my Android phone.

I also have a weekly reminder every Thursday when the new free games on Epic Games go live...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu posted:

Ohhh. Melty Blood is coming to the Xbox. I'd pick it up but I don't think my TV can fit in the bathroom.

Is it gonna be crossplay with at least pc? Could be dire getting a match if it cant play with the majority of the community who will need a battery powered platform like an ancient vaio laptop or switch to play optimally atop some random trashcans around town

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

Set a reminder on your phone for the 1st and the 15th (16th?) of every month?

Efb

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Myst has a lot of poo poo broken in it. Beat it real quick the traditional way, then went for the Know It All achievement for getting the good ending without picking up a red/blue page (i can't believe i'm going to spoiler tag Myst in tyool 2021 but it's achievement related which are all secret so maybe people want to work it out themselves) and when I spawned into the new game, there wasn't a white page in the marker to bring to Atrus, it just popped out an empty loving page holder :laffo:

also, there's no way to see or tell what pages (if any) you are holding onto which is pretty hosed up

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 26, 2021

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Me: *clicks to view the controls in my Xbox copy of Myst*

My Xbox copy of Myst:

Me: o ok

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had to toggle the marker a couple of times to even get the page, so if you didn't know it was there, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kevyn posted:

Me: *clicks to view the controls in my Xbox copy of Myst*

My Xbox copy of Myst:

Me: o ok

lol these QC cert dudes are getting sloppy