Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just unlocked the Rail and holy poo poo I love this thing, especially turning it into a drat shotgun. The Dio boon that applies drunk on attack plus the Demeter slow Cast makes it easy for me to shred my enemies like a Greek god version of the Doom Guy. :twisted:

This might be my favorite weapon so far! It takes out all of the problems I had with the bow while still being able to keep my distance with the regular version or avoid sliding around too much with the shotgun version when up-close (unlike the sword). :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Flayer posted:

I've been liking the Thanatos companion because even though you can't use it in the final fight it trivialises Theseus and Asterius (and other boss fights) as well as being a get out of jail card for any room so it allows you to build totally with the last fight in mind.

Keep playing is all I can say, but mild spoilers You will eventually be able to use him and other companions in the final fight.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just unlocked the Rail and holy poo poo I love this thing, especially turning it into a drat shotgun. The Dio boon that applies drunk on attack plus the Demeter slow Cast makes it easy for me to shred my enemies like a Greek god version of the Doom Guy. :twisted:

This might be my favorite weapon so far! It takes out all of the problems I had with the bow while still being able to keep my distance with the regular version or avoid sliding around too much with the shotgun version when up-close (unlike the sword). :D
i've never been able to get satisfying use out of the shotgun upgrade for the rail. i always felt like you just get rid of the rail's defining features (rapid fire and long range) in return for... what, exactly? decent short-range damage that you could just as well get with any other melee weapon?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
And I died to Theseus again lol. Yeah, close-range shotgun is a little tricky when fighting that guy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I loving hate when Thanatos shows up in chambers and causes them to take 5x longer than usual. I’m good get off my dick

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Amppelix posted:

i've never been able to get satisfying use out of the shotgun upgrade for the rail. i always felt like you just get rid of the rail's defining features (rapid fire and long range) in return for... what, exactly? decent short-range damage that you could just as well get with any other melee weapon?

with the right boons you could be doing 500+ damage per shot, 1200+ if you have Artemis’ crit boons. it’s a beast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

indigi posted:

I loving hate when Thanatos shows up in chambers and causes them to take 5x longer than usual. I’m good get off my dick

He seems randomly to just kill everyone and other times super slow compared to you, it’s weird.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Sometimes he gets lucky and a bunch of enemies are in his death circle when it pops.

indigi posted:

Thankfully the timer pauses for those.

Fun interaction with Thanatos: If you're using his keepsake he'll tell you to just stand back and let him kill everything so you can get the bonus.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’d rather have the 25 health

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I appreciate him getting a bit salty when I killsteal.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

priznat posted:

He seems randomly to just kill everyone and other times super slow compared to you, it’s weird.

Like this time.

Like, are you even awake Than? Sure everything’s ok?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He really struggles against low health stuff since his attacks take so long to go off.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Like this time.

Like, are you even awake Than? Sure everything’s ok?

That owns. I’ve never blanked him so far but I haven’t let him kill more than 2 in the last 20-30 runs

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

RatHat posted:

He really struggles against low health stuff since his attacks take so long to go off.

That makes perfect sense - that many enemies means they were probably very low health ones, and I had the fists which can rip through them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

in my last run where Than popped up there were 31 enemies in loving Elysium, it was interminable

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Thanatos has been a cakewalk but I did actually manage to lose to him in Asphodel when he spawned in an instance where the main enemies were those statues that disappear above and try and drop on you. His doom thing could kill them when they were up in the ceiling and the only other enemies were armoured Skellies with bombs. Ended up losing 5-3. I was stunned.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Flayer posted:

Thanatos has been a cakewalk but I did actually manage to lose to him in Asphodel when he spawned in an instance where the main enemies were those statues that disappear above and try and drop on you. His doom thing could kill them when they were up in the ceiling and the only other enemies were armoured Skellies with bombs. Ended up losing 5-3. I was stunned.

Asphodel sucks half the enemies just jump a full screen away from you as their main attack

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Half of Dracula posted:

Asphodel sucks half the enemies just jump a full screen away from you as their main attack

Yeah that's the last time I lost. Only 9 enemies showed up I got 4 and he got 5 because they were all jumpy motherfuckers.

Latest Fist run I had 62% dodge going, nothing special but good enough on its own, but I got Ares' Cast with their upgrades plus the Artemis duo that makes them home, plus the duo with Poseidon and Artemis that doubles up the cast, AND Artemis' legendary for 10 giant gently caress-off blades just cutting poo poo up. I didn't even bother using my Poseidon Call because it meant that I couldn't cast giant blades.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just had a weird thing happen in the final fight, when I got to the second phase he didn't do any of his normal stuff like the green pots and the spinning lasers. I did complete this phase pretty quickly, but not so fast that he didn't get the chance to do any of this. At times I was just dodging expecting him to do them imminently and he never did :confused:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
For pure cheese I just had the easiest final fight ever, Lightning Rod and the shield being the key components. Threw out my crystals, held the shield up, watched as the boss got ripped apart bashing away ineffectively

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I just visited a friend, we were gonna play some PS5 exclusives on his big new TV. But he had Hades up, just got it, he was liking it. He didn't have the gun yet, didn't have much, only four keepsakes. He didn't realize the contractor and merchant do anything cause he hasn't talked to anyone much, apparently. I thought I'd do a run real quick and show him how it's done. Died at Lernie! He took the spear, got exploding shot and a good artemis special and was quickly on his way to a melting build. Beat the loving game! He never cleared Elysium before then he killed Hades just like that. I told him you know how much of the game you missed out on beating it so quick? I said "Now you've got to talk to achilles every time." "Who?"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
drat, that's like the guy who beats the game on the 5th try and no-one believes them.

Imagine showing off and dying at Lernie though! That has to sting.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think fastest I saw a new player beat Hades was one of the streamers (Sacriel, I think?) who managed to luck into Aphrodite legendary boon and then stunlock everything to death on like 3rd or 4th run.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there’s a fresh save clear with the devs doing commentary on it that’s pretty good

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

indigi posted:

there’s a fresh save clear with the devs doing commentary on it that’s pretty good

Fresh save clears are usually experienced players starting a new game though. This is a little different.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Popping in to say I finally beat the final boss! :toot: :dance:

It's actually kind of funny, I found Ares in the Styx and was angling to fill my Cast slot since it was still unfilled (not that I was needing it for my build, really) and figured I could get some use out of his spinning blades Boon. I ended up choosing the "30% damage increase after using Death Defiance" to scratch off another prophecy on the tally, but only after some major hesitation since I wanted to conserve my DD's for the final fight in order to survive as long as possible - don't plan to fail, and all that.

Well, I ended up forgetting I had that Ares Boon still active by the time I got to the final boss and was surprised when I started doing noticeably more damage; then it hit me that that Ares Boon is actually pretty drat nice and you could potentially build an Ace-in-the-Hole strategy around it!

Anyways, long story short, I finally beat the final boss for the first time! Woo-hoo! Man, my heart was pounding for a good while there, but I kept reminding myself to take it easy, take it slow, and don't panic too much. :D

e: Pics of post-fight screen + Seeing Well stats -

Why does it list only a few of the Boons on-screen? Are they organized by how powerful they are or something else or is it just totally random?

A few more thoughts... (spoilers for post-final boss stuff)

I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible and it blew my mind that Hades has the same death/Game Over animation as Zagreus after you beat him and even says "There is no escape..." as he returns to the Styx. I just wrote off the post-boss death animation as a neat little artistic flourish, but now it's making look at Hades and the others in a different light and makes me think there's an actual purpose to Meg/Theseus/etc dying the way they do. The conversation with Persephone pretty much confirms that anyone belonging to the Underworld will die and get sent back via the Styx over and over again. But what about Asterius the Minotaur? When he dies, he turns into a blue glowing thing before fading away. Is that significant or explained later? On second thought, don't answer that.

I also love how the Punishment Pact and other challenges are not simply artificial filler tacked on to extend the shelf life of the game, but that there is indeed a coherent story-based reason to keep playing the game again after beating the final boss. Plus, if Extreme Measures (I finally get what EM means now lol) is any indicator, there's actually even more novel gameplay mechanics and story twists to explore. Again, there's not some discrete post-game content or DLC to explore after the "main game" here, the game just keeps delivering on what it's already been doing.

gently caress, I love this game. I can't believe I slept on it for so long up until now. :aaa:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 26, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Popping in to say I finally beat the final boss! :toot: :dance:

It's actually kind of funny, I found Ares in the Styx and was angling to fill my Cast slot since it was still unfilled (not that I was needing it for my build, really) and figured I could get some use out of his spinning blades Boon. I ended up choosing the "30% damage increase after using Death Defiance" to scratch off another prophecy on the tally, but only after some major hesitation since I wanted to conserve my DD's for the final fight in order to survive as long as possible - don't plan to fail, and all that.

Well, I ended up forgetting I had that Ares Boon still active by the time I got to the final boss and was surprised when I started doing noticeably more damage; then it hit me that that Ares Boon is actually pretty drat nice and you could potentially build an Ace-in-the-Hole strategy around it!

Anyways, long story short, I finally beat the final boss for the first time! Woo-hoo! Man, my heart was pounding for a good while there, but I kept reminding myself to take it easy, take it slow, and don't panic too much. :D

Heh, yeah I look at that boon and ask myself how close to the end am I? Because I know it will be useful against dad, but hope it won't be useful until then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's a whole lot better if you're using stubborn defiance, but sadly with the nature of this game where you'll be taking 90% of your damage in boss fights stubborn defiance just isn't very useful after you get to the point where you can make it to Hades reliably

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Been playing for about a week myself. Got my first clear at 62 runs after dying a few times in the second phase. Broken spearpoint has been my crutch but I just managed a clear with no deaths so might ready to wean myself off of it. Just need to clear with bow, spear and gun now.

The other big change for me was starting to take Aphrodite's specials instead of going for a Dionysus hangover build. That special damage increase from Aph is too sweet. Just had a disgusting build for my no death clear:
Shield with doom on special, weak on attack. Continuous doom on weak foes, chance of charm on weak, Demeter call and the Ares-Dem duo cast. Artemis crit chance on any attack, doom on damage taken and other overkills like increased move speed and damage for move speed.

Brilliant game, one of my favourite roguelikes. Great aesthetics, story, performances and the gameplay is perfect hack and slash.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I got Fast Cast on Aphrodite's Cast and it makes a decent shotgun blast, which usually wipes the mook allowing you to insta-use it if you're running with 3 bloodstones. That was my latest spear run, which I won with totally unnecessary defensive boons, that more or less gave me the time to leisurely kill everything. These included Hermes Dodge and Speed increase after Call, which meant always since I got that Zeus/Aphrodite duo. Plus, I had Athena's legendary and her and Demeter's duo so I wasn't dying any time soon.

I need to see Patroclus 2 more times and then I have everyone's face. My next run is shield and the first room I get Zeus on special :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How is the Beowulf shield? I just unlocked that one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

priznat posted:

Weird. It's good and I won with it on my first try, but I don't do well with cast-dependent weaponry and that's one of them. This is mainly because I tend to forget about casts until I get a broken Duo using them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t like it but a lot of people love it ymmv

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

priznat posted:

Tried it once with dio cast and it was ok. Tried again with aphro cast and that was pretty savage but at the end of the day it's a shield, safe and slow. I prefer the bouncy aspect

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Beowulf is awkward but not actually bad. It feels like one of those weapons I don't really get (sort of like hidden bow) but is probably great in somebody's hands.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

priznat posted:

It's very cast-centered. I'm a big fan of running with Dio and the regenerating bloodstone mirror skill, but it's definitely a much different playstyle than the other shields. I think Zeus aspect is probably "better" but that one never really worked for me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

christmas boots posted:

It's very cast-centered. I'm a big fan of running with Dio and the regenerating bloodstone mirror skill, but it's definitely a much different playstyle than the other shields. I think Zeus aspect is probably "better" but that one never really worked for me.

Zeus is a delight if you can aim it at spawn points and then go deal with other spawns by yourself.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
God Achilles has so much dialogue. I guess I beat the game too fast because I'm still getting triggers from ages ago. Might have to do a bunch of suicide runs to get through all his dialogue.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Try Beowulf with Ares cast and the multiple bloodstones talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Since I've beaten the game once and I have already picked a lot of the Fated Prophecy Boon choices already, now my goal is to experiment with specific builds and play styles in mind for fun and profit.

Right now, I'm focusing on a sniper crits style with the Chiron Bow. Even before getting to Asphodel, I've been doing obscene damage with a charged shot + special follow-up with Artemis Boons that give extra seeking arrows and bigger chances for crits plus Demeter Slow on Attack buff for good measure.

Are there any recommended Gods that have good synergy with this play style? I'm considering seeking out the Athena Deflect dash as a safety measure since it's pretty OP on any build, but maybe I should consider Ares too? I don't think I really want Poseidon knocking enemies around, even though it's normally super fun on a dash-and-smash melee build, especially in the Styx sewers levels.

Also, just want to add that my experience using the Rail has helped me feel more comfortable when going to the Bow and embracing a long-range play style. I really have to give the game credit for helping you to avoid staying fixated on a specific initial play style or set of Boons and gently incentivizes you to experiment around with unfamiliar weapons and Boons. As other posters have mentioned before, you might be surprised and find a new Boon or play style you end up really liking! :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 27, 2021