Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

How's the isolation on these? My complys have all worn out but I don't think I could lose the isolation of foam tips.

Meh. About average for silicone. Foam will definitely be better for isolation. I like them on the blons because they grip the nozzle well and they're long enough to overcome the weird shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm looking to get a pair of wireless earbuds to listen to lectures or other content while studying on campus or working out. I could in theory get a dongle for my RE400s, but it wouldn't work as well at the gym and I'm trying to at least improve my time utilization.

Budget - $250 at most, ideally under $200
Source - Mostly will be an 11 inch iPad Pro for lectures, though I may have my Galaxy S10E feed them with music while taking breaks
Isolation Requirements - Isolation preferred since the wind gets loud at my apartment which has been an issue with my HD58X
Preferred Type of Headphone - Wireless earbud or IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably warm to neutral on these.
Past Headphones - Hifiman RE400: These were generally fine. There was a bit of a QC issue with the cable wrapping, but otherwise worked fine for my wired on the go needs

Sennheiser HD58X: Nice and comfy. Not as clampy as the HD280s, generally easier listening than the ATH m40x, and high enough impedance that I don't have to run at minimum volume all of the time.

Audio Technica ATH M40X: These were generally fine with two main complaints. The first is that I don't like the earpad material since it always flakes off. The other was that I had to run nearly minimum volume even on my phone, but this might have partially been an issue of Samsung defaulting it to only like 16 step volume control.

Sennheiser HD280: clampy clamp clamp clamp.

Preferred Music - Classical and Broadway

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Hello thread, I'm looking to do 2 things that I'm thinking could maybe be 1 device:
1. A dongle DAC/amp that I can connect via USB C or Lightning to my phone, computer, iPad, etc.
2. A bluetooth receiver

I found stuff like the Fiio BTR3/BRT5 that seem like they would work but there's differing opinions about lightning compatibility. Does anyone know of other similar things? My headphones aren't particularly hard to drive so I'm mostly worried about it working smoothly and reliably with my mostly-Apple pile of devices.

I *think* the Qudelix-5K will fit the bill. Pretty sure they have a USB C input. Definitely do some searches to see if anybody has complained about them not working with your particular devices though, for sure.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

kirtar posted:

I'm looking to get a pair of wireless earbuds to listen to lectures or other content while studying on campus or working out. I could in theory get a dongle for my RE400s, but it wouldn't work as well at the gym and I'm trying to at least improve my time utilization.

Source - Mostly will be an 11 inch iPad Pro for lectures, though I may have my Galaxy S10E feed them with music while taking breaks
Isolation Requirements - Isolation preferred since the wind gets loud at my apartment which has been an issue with my HD58X
Past Headphones - Hifiman RE400: These were generally fine. There was a bit of a QC issue with the cable wrapping, but otherwise worked fine for my wired on the go needs

Sennheiser HD58X: Nice and comfy. Not as clampy as the HD280s, generally easier listening than the ATH m40x, and high enough impedance that I don't have to run at minimum volume all of the time.

Audio Technica ATH M40X: These were generally fine with two main complaints. The first is that I don't like the earpad material since it always flakes off. The other was that I had to run nearly minimum volume even on my phone, but this might have partially been an issue of Samsung defaulting it to only like 16 step volume control.

I think either the Sony WF-1000XM4 or the Jabra 85t Elite would fit the bill. They're both very good true wireless IEMs, and I think they'd suit your use cases well. The differences between the two:

- The Sonys will be at the very extreme of your price range, and you might need to wait for a periodic sale to get it at $250. The Jabras are frequently available for under $200.
- They both have excellent active noise cancelling and apps to apply EQ, apply use mode presets, test the effectiveness of the tips you're using, etc.
- The Sony set sounds better to me in almost every capacity, but not to extraordinary degrees. The Sonys do have better bass control, tonality, and detail retrieval, while the Jabras are a bit more relaxed by comparison but still very good and easy to listen to for hours.
- You might need to do some serious EQ to make the Sonys sound appropriate for classical, they're very bassy/punchy and tuned for "excitement" out of the box, but I've been able to EQ my way down to something much more neutral that sounds great to me.
- The Jabras are far more comfortable to me, and a lot of people complain about the comfort of the Sonys. In addition to the physical fit, the Jabras are open backed by design to prevent the "suction" effect that can happen with wireless IEMs, and it makes a massive difference in long term comfort to me.
- The Jabras can pair to two devices at the same time, which is honestly really convenient to me for watching videos and music listening across my phone and computer within the same timeframe.
- The Sonys can use the "superior" LDAC bluetooth codec on Android devices that support it, but tbh I haven't noticed an audible difference between LDAC and the AAC codec used when my non-LDAC devices pair with them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I *think* the Qudelix-5K will fit the bill. Pretty sure they have a USB C input. Definitely do some searches to see if anybody has complained about them not working with your particular devices though, for sure.

Yeah I 2nd this recommendation. It's a drat good device. Fits the bill and LDAC for near lossless audio. Whats not to love?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

trem_two posted:

I think either the Sony WF-1000XM4 or the Jabra 85t Elite would fit the bill. They're both very good true wireless IEMs, and I think they'd suit your use cases well. The differences between the two:

- The Sonys will be at the very extreme of your price range, and you might need to wait for a periodic sale to get it at $250. The Jabras are frequently available for under $200.
- They both have excellent active noise cancelling and apps to apply EQ, apply use mode presets, test the effectiveness of the tips you're using, etc.
- The Sony set sounds better to me in almost every capacity, but not to extraordinary degrees. The Sonys do have better bass control, tonality, and detail retrieval, while the Jabras are a bit more relaxed by comparison but still very good and easy to listen to for hours.
- You might need to do some serious EQ to make the Sonys sound appropriate for classical, they're very bassy/punchy and tuned for "excitement" out of the box, but I've been able to EQ my way down to something much more neutral that sounds great to me.
- The Jabras are far more comfortable to me, and a lot of people complain about the comfort of the Sonys. In addition to the physical fit, the Jabras are open backed by design to prevent the "suction" effect that can happen with wireless IEMs, and it makes a massive difference in long term comfort to me.
- The Jabras can pair to two devices at the same time, which is honestly really convenient to me for watching videos and music listening across my phone and computer within the same timeframe.
- The Sonys can use the "superior" LDAC bluetooth codec on Android devices that support it, but tbh I haven't noticed an audible difference between LDAC and the AAC codec used when my non-LDAC devices pair with them.
Apparently Costco carries the Jabras which is tempting. I did just notice that they call their eartips EarGels which I thought was a Klipsch thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just got this email out of the blue:

Any bets on what will show up? I'm guessing nothing :(

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 22, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

did you order the new multi-driver thing?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tried the Fiio FD5. Avoid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

did you order the new multi-driver thing?

Nope, I haven't ordered anything from them in years :v:

I assume it's just an email notification error and nothing will be delivered unfortunately

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Shuoer EJ07m (which is a metal version of the 07 $850 bux) with a hair more high mids and treble. It's pretty unreal. For $600 bux you get what amounts to the highest levels of the 'hobby'. Not cheap but in the large scheme of things, cheap. 1x10mm DD, 2x Sonion BA, and 4x Sonion EST per side. The actual value of the drivers themselves warrant attention but the tuning is acutally loving incredible as well. Expert comes to mind. One day in the future they might be a special set for some people. Or not. I could be smoking crack.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 22, 2021

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I'm looking for a wireless pair of headphones for taking office calls, gaming, and listening to podcasts/music while doing chores outside / around the house. Ideally the microphone quality would be at least as good as a Macbook pro's built-ins. Travel friendly (w/ noise cancellation) is a plus but not a hard requirement. USB-C charging is a big plus.

Budget - Under $300
Source - Bluetooth connection to multiple devices (not necessarily simultaneously) including a Macbook pro, Android Pixel 3, and a Windows 10 desktop.
Isolation Requirements - Isolated, but not too isolated? I plan on taking calls for this and would like to hear my own voice to some extent.
Preferred Type of Headphone - over-hear / on-ear. Maybe on-ear offers a good balance of isolation?
Preferred Tonal Balance - neutral / balanced
Past Headphones - HD569s. I sometimes use these for work calls but generally pop one ear out so I can hear my own voice which is annoying. Otherwise these are pretty good, although they can get a bit uncomfortable for long sessions (tight fit / hot).

The Momentum 3's seem like they tick most of the boxes here, but I am bit concerned about the microphone quality.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kirtar posted:

if you're using them with an apple device just get the airpods pro. they're great. even audiophiles grudgingly admit they're best in class

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

So trip report, I wound up returning the SHP9600 because no matter what I plugged them into I had to do too much eq tweaking to overcome the booming bass. Maybe it was a QC issue with my specific pair but they sounded awful to my ears for any music other than R&B. I went ahead and ordered a pair of HD58X that arrived today, and I gotta say these are much much much more the sound stage I was hoping for. Much more balanced with excellent response on the highs and lows for my musical listening preference, which varies from Telemann to Gorillaz, with a smattering of Tuvan throat singing in between.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
Anyone have a rec for a portable amp? Want to take my 650s on the road.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trem_two posted:

Yeah I've narrowed it down to that and the EarStudio EX100 Mk2, they're probably almost identical hardware wise [and only $20 different] but the EarStuio app has crazy EQ options that I will probably never use but are appealing. This is my first pair of really nice headphones so I'm trying to do them justice without going full grognard.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 26, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Yeah I've narrowed it down to that and the EarStudio EX100 Mk2, they're probably almost identical hardware wise [and only $20 different] but the EarStuio app has crazy EQ options that I will probably never use but are appealing. This is my first pair of really nice headphones so I'm trying to do them justice without going full grognard.

I actually have one of those, and it sounds very nice. The only reason why I didn't suggest it right away is because the clip is fragile and broke very quickly on mine, and also it uses USB mini instead of USB C, so it might require purchasing another cable or adapter if you wanted to use it wired directly to a USB C phone/tablet/etc. The app is in fact pretty good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trem_two posted:

I actually have one of those, and it sounds very nice. The only reason why I didn't suggest it right away is because the clip is fragile and broke very quickly on mine, and also it uses USB mini instead of USB C, so it might require purchasing another cable or adapter if you wanted to use it wired directly to a USB C phone/tablet/etc. The app is in fact pretty good.
Ah, I thought the Earstudio was USB C, that makes the decision easy. I just tried to buy direct from their site instead of Amazon and they charge $20 for shipping to the US. Enjoy my money, Bezos.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Q5K is USB C
ES100 is USB micro

Both are made my the same person

Both have amazing android apps, the Q5K has PEQ while ES100 has only GEQ. The Q5K is Sabre dac based and the ES100 is AK based. The Q5K is metal build and the ES100 is full plastic. I prefer the ES100 because I dont care about usb plugs, I prefer AK, AND i like plastic more than metal for weight savings since I use mine for high altitude running.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

if you're using them with an apple device just get the airpods pro. they're great. even audiophiles grudgingly admit they're best in class

Based on this, I picked them up yesterday. Trip report coming after the weekend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

aksuur posted:

Based on this, I picked them up yesterday. Trip report coming after the weekend.

if you want something with wings/hooks for exercise, the PowerBeats Pro have the same functionality, although they're tuned a bit more aggressively

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you want something with wings/hooks for exercise, the PowerBeats Pro have the same functionality, although they're tuned a bit more aggressively

They also go on sale much more frequently for much steeper discounts.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Any thoughts on the Sony WF-1000XM4s? My Jabras are finally dying off so thinking these might be a good replacement. I really liked the WH-1000XM4s I grabbed during quarantine.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is there a common recommendation for wireless Bluetooth in-ear headphones for daily use including conference calls and bike riding?

In the past I’ve had a couple pair of BeatsX and they were perfect for the purpose, but I lost my latest pair in a move.

I was given a pair of first gen Apple AirPods, and while I like the concept of individual units, the original Airpod shape never fit my ear. Maybe the AirPod pros would resolve this? I’ve also seen that Beats has a similar high end offering.

Regardless it doesn’t have to be Apple or Beats. Brand is irrelevant and my real headphones are my HD650s at home. I just want something that sounds good on the go. Budget is <$300.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is there a common recommendation for wireless Bluetooth in-ear headphones for daily use including conference calls and bike riding?

In the past I’ve had a couple pair of BeatsX and they were perfect for the purpose, but I lost my latest pair in a move.

I was given a pair of first gen Apple AirPods, and while I like the concept of individual units, the original Airpod shape never fit my ear. Maybe the AirPod pros would resolve this? I’ve also seen that Beats has a similar high end offering.

Regardless it doesn’t have to be Apple or Beats. Brand is irrelevant and my real headphones are my HD650s at home. I just want something that sounds good on the go. Budget is <$300.

If you liked the BeatsX, the current Beats Flex are explicitly meant to be the continuation of that line.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

If you plan to do a lot of bike riding I would recommend something “semi-open” that allows for ambient noise to pass through, like the Plantronics BackBeat Fit line. I’m not saying that those are the best for your budget (I don’t actually know what’s really out there in the “semi open” category at the higher end), but just giving a reference.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Budget - under $250 preferably but i'll stretch to $300 if it nets a big improvement
Source - my gaming PC, effectively 100% of the time. No amp or special sound card or anything. currently (I have a FiiO E10 but it seems to be crapping itself to death)
Isolation Requirements - not really. In fact I find it kind of unnerving not being able to hear my surroundings at all
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced, or leaning bass
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD598 & EPOS, ATH-M40X, Bose QC35, AirPods Pro
Preferred Music - most video games under the sun, so lots of music? :v:

My AirPods sound ok-to-good, but most of the circumaurals i've tried have sounded much better. The problem I have is that I wear glasses, and among all the headphones i've tried, none of them have been comfortable to wear for more than an hour or so. I think I just need thinner glasses-frames, but also figured I'd see if anyone else has had this experience.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 28, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

njsykora posted:

If you liked the BeatsX, the current Beats Flex are explicitly meant to be the continuation of that line.

I did see those, but I'm also kind of looking for an upgrade. The BeatsX were great, but I can afford to spend a little more for sound quality.

As for bike riding, I should have mentioned, I just meant mildly water-resistant. Most of my spinning is in the gym these days :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I did see those, but I'm also kind of looking for an upgrade. The BeatsX were great, but I can afford to spend a little more for sound quality.

As for bike riding, I should have mentioned, I just meant mildly water-resistant. Most of my spinning is in the gym these days :(

PowerBeats Pro?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

PowerBeats Pro?

That's exactly what I just got back from buying! Best Buy was running them on a "sale" at $180.

So far they're nice! I really like the full control sets on both ears.

I haven't tried the other tips yet, but the default ones strike the right balance between good sound and still being able to hear your surroundings. I'll probably also pick up a fitted foam set at some point.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is the mic. We'll see what the co-workers say on Monday.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

When did Apple devices get no latency Bluetooth for things like video playback and system sounds? Is the quality lower than normal Bluetooth when used that way?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Most decent bluetooth headphones now can pull off no latency for bluetooth, it's probably easier for Apple since they have absolute control over the OS software as well. It's only a playback offset I think so doesn't affect the audio in any significant way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Its not “no latency,” it’s that ios and macos know the latency and compensate by delaying video to match. That’s part of Bluetooth5 spec, I think.

It doesn’t work for games, and if I’m editing audio via Bluetooth I still notice a delay.

Apple has always been good at it, even with Airplay, which can have full seconds of latency. If I play a video on my iPad and send the audio to my receiver via Airplay, the lips sync is always perfect.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

Most decent bluetooth headphones now can pull off no latency for bluetooth

No, they can't. The OS will compensate for bluetooth delay when playing back video in most but not all scenarios, but the latency is still there and it's huge, like 250-400ms. Bluetooth isn't acceptable for anything realtime like gaming, video editing, sound editing, basically anything you do with your phone or computer that isn't youtube.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Its not “no latency,” it’s that ios and macos know the latency and compensate by delaying video to match. That’s part of Bluetooth5 spec, I think.

It doesn’t work for games, and if I’m editing audio via Bluetooth I still notice a delay.

Apple has always been good at it, even with Airplay, which can have full seconds of latency. If I play a video on my iPad and send the audio to my receiver via Airplay, the lips sync is always perfect.

I ask specifically because I'm playing Dead Cells on my iPad right now using the Power Beats, and yeah it's definitely not no-latency, but it's a hell of a lot better than before and definitely not using an offset like with video. I'd put it at may 100-150ms?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I ask specifically because I'm playing Dead Cells on my iPad right now using the Power Beats, and yeah it's definitely not no-latency, but it's a hell of a lot better than before and definitely not using an offset like with video. I'd put it at may 100-150ms?

Apple does stuff with AAC to bring down the latency but yeah it's still around 8-10 frames at 60hz which sucks. The best you can do with bluetooth is aptx adaptive which will do 80ms, but it's hard to find stuff that supports it and it's still noticeable.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I've got the Earstudio ES100, Qudelix 5k, and the Fiio BTR3k bluetooth receivers. I bought the fiio last, and its the only one that supports apt-x Low Latency. Of the 3 I like the Qudelix the best cause its got insane bluetooth range, usb c, and a button layout I like. ES100 battery is about the same, good coverage (through walls) but not as good as the fiio or the qudelix. I've got the fiio btr paired to a fiio bta30 which is also doing aptx Low Latency, and it now lives on my desk. The latency is very low, I only notice it with speakers and earphones on at the same time. The main problem is when there is lag or something it causes a small pop. It's very distracting if you're just listening to spoken word and I wouldn't want to edit with an occasional pop, but most music or games covers it up fine. If you're just listening to music/audio they are all high quality and drive my HD 6xx okay.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
For PC and Console gaming I have the Razer Thresher Ultimate, Playstation version, that I bought back in 2017. It's held up very well, and worked great for both the PS4 and PC. It's wireless mode was very good and I did not notice any sound lag.

But I'm wondering if any new gaming headphones over the past 4 years have better sound quality. Any recent recommendations to look into?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are the Moondrop Blessing 2s/Etymotic ER4XRs pretty much the safest bet for wired IEMs around that price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there anyway to pair my Sony WH1000XM4 to three devices? It handles two connections well using the multipoint functionality but with three (phone, Ubuntu and Windows dual boot) I find that I have to re-pair to my PC every time I boot between OS…