Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sammus posted:

Sooo I’m the only person who thought the gunplay got old really quick?

There were only a handful of gun types, and halfway through the game combat boiled down to ‘shoot people through walls’ and ‘point the auto gun in their general direction’

if we're talking about cyberpunk i can't really comment on guns because i went 100% sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the guns and I also liked murdering people with my sword or gorilla fists

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I can’t find the double jump under the perks or whatever, which stat is it under?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a ripperdoc upgrade. They don’t all have it iirc

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
So I just dusted off my Playstation because I recently fell in love with Nex Machina on PC and was looking to check out other Housemarque games that I might've foolishly been missing out on all this time. I was initially planning on snatching Dead Nation or Alienation but they weren't on sale (though they are certainly cheap enough I might snatch up nonetheless). I did notice Matterfall was on sale though: any impressions on that? From what I've seen it's a bit of an odd duck in their line-up, but maybe it's aged well, I dunno. Would just love any general impressions on any and all Housemarque games as well (though unfortunately not Returnal since no PS5 for me yet).

In addition, I noticed that one of my favorite beat-em-ups I played back on PS3 has been updated into Dragon's Crown Pro for the ridiculously cheap price of $5, causing me to snatch it up immediately: definitely don't sleep on this if you're even slightly into beat-em-ups and action RPGs. In the same vein, I did notice that Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir was on sale for $18 and was wondering what people's thoughts were on that: I'm tempted because of the cool combo action RPG combat and story, but I'm wondering since I fear it might get a bit repetitive and the story not enough to keep me interested, especially since I usually try to keep my games under 20 hours max.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Matterfall is not good but if you're a big Housemarque fan Returnal is worth buying a PS5 for

Super Stardust is also good and playable in PSVR if you have that

It's not clear from your post if you played Resogun but that is very good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

if you're a big Housemarque fan Returnal is worth buying a PS5 for

++++

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FutureCop posted:

In addition, I noticed that one of my favorite beat-em-ups I played back on PS3 has been updated into Dragon's Crown Pro for the ridiculously cheap price of $5, causing me to snatch it up immediately: definitely don't sleep on this if you're even slightly into beat-em-ups and action RPGs. In the same vein, I did notice that Odin's Sphere Leifthrasir was on sale for $18 and was wondering what people's thoughts were on that: I'm tempted because of the cool combo action RPG combat and story, but I'm wondering since I fear it might get a bit repetitive and the story not enough to keep me interested, especially since I usually try to keep my games under 20 hours max.

Odin's Sphere is very good. The original got pretty repetitive due to a lackluster combat system (but interesting XP system), and Leifthfrasir improves on it by essentially making it a 2d character action game. Also eliminates the significant slowdown from the original that plagued bossfights.

That said, there still is repetition in bosses and environments, but I'd say it's still worth it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Odin Sphere owns and isn't nearly as repetitive as Dragon's Crown so if you can play that you can play Odin's Sphere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Odin Sphere rules.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Odin Sphere is a gorgeous game and the Leifthrasir remake did a bunch to fix the levelling, alchemy, and retuned the combat to be like a 2D character action game so it's definitely worth a play. I went through it on my OLED Vita and it was a fantastic experience having played the original on PS2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Stop reminding me that Muramasa Rebirth is trapped on the Vita

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That would be so good. What are other potential Q1 mods we might see?

All I want for Christmas is the Timbler as an official mod, is that so much to ask?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dragon's Crown also rules, tho

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

loving hell, I'm only just finding out about this now.

https://twitter.com/__silent_/status/1430623813457297409

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FutureCop posted:

So I just dusted off my Playstation because I recently fell in love with Nex Machina on PC and was looking to check out other Housemarque games that I might've foolishly been missing out on all this time. I was initially planning on snatching Dead Nation or Alienation but they weren't on sale (though they are certainly cheap enough I might snatch up nonetheless). I did notice Matterfall was on sale though: any impressions on that? From what I've seen it's a bit of an odd duck in their line-up, but maybe it's aged well, I dunno. Would just love any general impressions on any and all Housemarque games as well (though unfortunately not Returnal since no PS5 for me yet).

Resogun (not mentioned) , Nex Machina and Returnal are fantastic. Dead Nation is quite good but slower paced. Kind of a survival horror mixed with Housemarque arcadieness. Super Stardust (not mentioned) is also good but I just like Resogun a lot better. I haven't played Alienation or Matterfall.

If you haven't played Resogun, that is your answer.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 26, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

R E S O G U N

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

RareAcumen posted:

Well poo poo. I was having issues with SRTT on my lovely computer and the way the game processed things; the scene with the fat naked Russian on the falling disco ball was playing too slow for me to get past it. I couldn't figure out how to work his patch for it, and the man personally walked me through installing it on Steam chat and made sure I got past it. Hell, man. :sigh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i feel like i should like saints row more out of respect for that guy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They’re bad games

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

They’re bad games

I never played them and bought the Alien invasion one and Gat out of Hell on sale and they seem totally fine for $3 but I couldn’t imagine paying $40 or $60 for these games, they really don’t seem that cool

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Saints Row 2 is the good one

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

SR2 was a great game but with the worst PC port ever. SR3 was a good game and had a good PC port.

IdolNinja spent years as personal project to make SR2 playable on PC, improve it and even release a big rear end SR3 mod. Mad respect for the guy.

Saints Row 2 is better than any GTA game. And that's a hill I'll gladly die on.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The entire Saints Row series is GTA but taking itself far less seriously. The sequels are numbered "2", "The Third", and "IV" for crying out loud, and you enter a Tron-Matrix thing in SRTT, and get superpowers in IV. I love GTA, but absolutely nothing compares to beating up pedestrians with a three-foot pink floppy dildo - I adore Saints Row because it's goofy as gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SR and GTA are both top tier game series and don’t need to compete imo.

SR3 is my favorite. I loved 4 but the powers while super fun and well implemented really killed that direct connection to the streets/cars/etc. New one sounds like a great blend of 2 and 3.

The mention of it having their most comprehensive customization systems is all I needed to hear. Saints Row is the best character making dress up game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

D34THROW posted:

The entire Saints Row series is GTA but taking itself far less seriously. The sequels are numbered "2", "The Third", and "IV" for crying out loud, and you enter a Tron-Matrix thing in SRTT, and get superpowers in IV. I love GTA, but absolutely nothing compares to beating up pedestrians with a three-foot pink floppy dildo - I adore Saints Row because it's goofy as gently caress.

GTA thinks it’s a Michael Mann movie. Saint’s Row thinks it’s a Michael Bay movie

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Saints Row 2 is an absolutely fantastic game, with terrible controls that are a product of their time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sadly, they did not cancel Saints Row going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH1yQ4sNtE

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

They’re bad games
Wtf

They're great games. Probably a product of their time, though. I remember giving a good chortle to the opening hour of IV but I dunno if I would now. That was a great superhero game, though.

Bit disappointed they went from the end of IV being time travelling through the universe in a spaceship with Jane Austen to what this new one is, though. Stunning lack of imagination.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know it's a weird line to draw with all the murder and drug sales but I hope the new one's pimp free.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the humour in those games is so so so bad, i can't stand it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Akuma posted:

Wtf

They're great games. Probably a product of their time, though. I remember giving a good chortle to the opening hour of IV but I dunno if I would now. That was a great superhero game, though.

Bit disappointed they went from the end of IV being time travelling through the universe in a spaceship with Jane Austen to what this new one is, though. Stunning lack of imagination.

It's fine, it's a reboot. There's no way they could possibly keep escalating the way they had been.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looking at the design of those rocket launchers and the one guy's LED helmet, this seems to be after the Saints time traveled back to fix the Earth so I'm expecting more alien tech to leak into the world.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arist posted:

It's fine, it's a reboot. There's no way they could possibly keep escalating the way they had been.

idk i liked the direction they went with gat out of hell. i would've liked to see the saints dethrone god next and take over heaven. just totally divorced from the series roots gently caress it saints row god game lets go

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That Saints Row trailer was so disappointing. The whole point of the series was being yourself and staying unique. It's why it went goofy when GTA was taking itself seriously, why you were purple, why you had such extensive character customization. Now there's this trailer that makes the new one look totally generic

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

RareAcumen posted:

Sadly, they did not cancel Saints Row going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH1yQ4sNtE
The comments on this are from people who didn't play the SR games; there isn't anything really that different from this and the "Power" trailer

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why do people think the new SR won't have a character creator

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They've already confirmed it has one, even

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

RareAcumen posted:

Aw gently caress. Pouring out a 40 in true SR tradition.

Dog King posted:

That Saints Row trailer was so disappointing. The whole point of the series was being yourself and staying unique. It's why it went goofy when GTA was taking itself seriously, why you were purple, why you had such extensive character customization. Now there's this trailer that makes the new one look totally generic
Yeah, I dunno if they were trying to make it more PG-13 for the reveal but it looked like a new GTA, not SR. Where are the dubstep guns? The 4-barreled shotgun? The Penetrator? Stupid silly poo poo? No matter how competently-made I don't want a realistic crime empire game, I want balls-out insanity if it's got the SR name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You guys know that Saints Row didn't start with 3, right

I say, being a fan of only modern Persona