Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
***During the hiring process***
Me: What does success look like for me after 90 days in the position?
IT Manager: If you could have a full 802.1x solution implemented, I would consider that a success.

***After 2 months in the positon***
Me: Here is my proposal for implementing an 802.1x solution for wired and wireless clients. We will need to talk to these vendors for demos/pricing, and I'd like to setup a meting with yourself, the lead cloud engineer, and the security lead so we can hash out the details. I've already run this by XXX in the security team though and he didn't see any red flags with my design.
IT Manager: --silence--

***A week later during a status update meting***
Me: Have you had a chance to look at my 802.1x proposal?
IT Manager: No, not yet. I'll look at it this week

***IT Manager goes on holiday and cancels our weekly status update meeting. Does not re-schedule a new one***

***After 4 months in the position***
Me: Hey I've reached out to a rep at these vendors and setup demos and scoping calls for these three competing products
IT Manager: We already have contacts on our end for these companies, cancel those meetings and we'll set it up through our guys. I'll forward you the contacts
Me: Sure.
(contacts are sent a month later)

***After 6 months in the position***
One vendor was chosen because one of the security guys said he's used it before and the other two were going to be too expensive. Scoping/demo meeting has taken place with the vendor, IT Manager, Security lead, the cloud lead, and myself.
Me: We should setup a meeting to decide how to proceed from here. There are decisions to be made about how we should implement xy and z before the vendor gives us an evaluation version. Plus we may have to re-structure the internal network for reasons ab and c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

There is a training/knowledge dump video that I was told to watch when I was a new hire in which the presenter starts eating a bag of chips half-way through without slowing down on the content at all.

our formal onboarding docs include 5 videos that are 90 loving minute each of lovely, poor quality zoom room recordings from a guy who led the company two years ago explaining the architecture before he left

no chips, but I gave up halfway through episode 1

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
My favorite is the one by my company's lawyer... he is doing his best Ben Stein impression. I think we caught the last guy napping in the video room after about 20 minutes into the presentation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MustardFacial posted:

***During the hiring process***
Me: What does success look like for me after 90 days in the position?
IT Manager: If you could have a full 802.1x solution implemented, I would consider that a success.

***After 2 months in the positon***
Me: Here is my proposal for implementing an 802.1x solution for wired and wireless clients. We will need to talk to these vendors for demos/pricing, and I'd like to setup a meting with yourself, the lead cloud engineer, and the security lead so we can hash out the details. I've already run this by XXX in the security team though and he didn't see any red flags with my design.

***A week later during a status update meting***
Me: Have you had a chance to look at my 802.1x proposal?
IT Manager: No, not yet. I'll look at it this week

***IT Manager goes on holiday and cancels our weekly status update meeting. Does not re-schedule a new one***

***After 4 months in the position***
Me: Hey I've reached out to a rep at these vendors and setup demos and scoping calls for these three competing products
IT Manager: We already have contacts on our end for these companies, cancel those meetings and we'll set it up through our guys. I'll forward you the contacts
Me: Sure.
(contacts are sent a month later)

***After 6 months in the position***
One vendor was chosen because one of the security guys said he's used it before and the other two were going to be too expensive. Scoping/demo meeting has taken place with the vendor, IT Manager, Security lead, the cloud lead, and myself.
Me: We should setup a meeting to decide how to proceed from here. There are decisions to be made about how we should implement xy and z before the vendor gives us an evaluation version. Plus we may have to re-structure the internal network for reasons ab and c.

Continue for 2 more years. Sounds like a solid gig

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

My last company had it set so everyone was an admin so I used to go through and remote mute those fuckers that thought everyone needed to hear them eat lunch and snort directly into the mic

I used to deal with a client on the phone, and every time we talked dude was eating noodles while on the phone with me. After months of this I went onsite and worked with him in person and that dude pulled out some noodles and started eating them in front me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
There was a dude who was implementing some new software for us who either was a heavy smoker (which is what I suspect) or had really terrible hay fever, and was constantly sniffling, coughing, and snorting on calls. Never muted himself. This software took, like, twenty hours to set up, I had to babysit him the whole time.

When I get to the Pearly Gates, I know Saint Peter will throw them open and welcome me in, because I have already spent my time in hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have to be in meetings with someone that doesn't use a headset (don't really blame them, headsets can be irritating) but has some kind of notification that goes off that sounds exactly like someone dropping ice cubes in a glass bowl. It keeps making me think WOO PARTY TIME but it's not, it's just more meeting.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
After "reading verbatim from slideshow" my favorite power move is when the host screen shares and then puts on a Youtube video which displays at about 2fps.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I finally got the go-ahead today to start a project to get rid of the dozen or so lovely access databases we use for production data and setup a less lovely database solution.

And just before I left work the GM told me to look into this new database tech called blockchain that he heard good things about. :shepicide:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The M365 admin center is broken lmao

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:wth: <customer> is getting an error in our software that they can't connect! Is there some kind of outage in our software?
:) Connect to what?
:wth: Their cloud storage on Amazon. <insert log snippet showing a failure to connect to an amazonAWS url>
:) This has nothing to do with us, so it's not out outage in our software. Is Amazon down?
:wth: No.
:) Then there isn't an outage on Amazon's end either. It's the customer's issue. Probably firewall. Refer to our documentation.
:wth: No it can't be they said they did everything. I'm gonna escalate this over your head!

*five minutes pass*

:wth: Okay now it's working they changed something on their firewall thanks

I swear to god I see this conversation three times a week

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Company's doing a massive hosting services migration to leverage the security of a cloud firewall, network balancing, etc.

"There will be no customer impact by any of these changes"

Guess what happened the fist two times they rolled out a part of the migration.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Bob Morales posted:

Continue for 2 more years. Sounds like a solid gig

End of first year:

"During your onboarding you told us you could get this thing set up within 90 days. It's been a year and it's still not set up. Poor performance means no raise, sorry"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Five WannaCry infections just in my area today. On patched systems too. Thank god we're over halfway through the Win7 migration process.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Got hit by some fancy phishing email that came through from a compromised 3rd party vendor/client.

User entered creds AND approved the 2fa prompt that originated in ‘not our area at all’.

Came across this today: https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2021/08/26/widespread-credential-phishing-campaign-abuses-open-redirector-links/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JackSplater posted:

End of first year:

"During your onboarding you told us you could get this thing set up within 90 days. It's been a year and it's still not set up. Poor performance means no raise, sorry"

Eat pizza all day while surfing forums and poo poo

Win win

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
For grading assignments the instructor for our class wants us to install Teamviewer :regd09:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
The paid version of TeamViewer isn't terrible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boss sent our termination notice to AT&T before we got anything signed on our new fiber lines...

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Morales posted:

Boss sent our termination notice to AT&T before we got anything signed on our new fiber lines...

Knowing AT&T, they will send a excavator around ASAP to terminate all your lines and pipes.

What pisses me off is that I will have to work from the office sometime in September because the manager of my manager is gonna visit the office. I looked at the seating chart and they put my team in the same room as tech support and I cannot deal with all that potential noise.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

If my days working at an ISP has taught me anything, it's that AT&T will be cutting you off weeks before your agreed upon date.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Woof Blitzer posted:

For grading assignments the instructor for our class wants us to install Teamviewer :regd09:

I'm...not following. So they can watch the...program execute?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

if I had to guess, so that they can see the program run without having to run it on their own machine

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

If my days working at an ISP has taught me anything, it's that AT&T will be cutting you off weeks before your agreed upon date.

They might. The real problem is we want to switch to an AT&T reseller, and they can't put their order in to do the port etc while the disconnect order is in. But the other ISP hasn't even started construction yet (they are just doing fiber for primary internet, the other place is going to use the existing AT&T fiber for backup internet and voice), so why the heck would you put a disconnect in?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
AT&T can't even port a phone number without accidently allocating it to another customer then declaring the number can't be retrieved.

You're hosed dude

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

The Holy Trinity of Irritation going on: Mandatory lunch-time Teams meeting, reading straight off a powerpoint to us, and people forgetting to mute themselves.

The new team lead at my place has put in a rule that, once we're back in the office, if you schedule a meeting between 12-2 the team will only turn up if you're buying them lunch.

I actually went into office for the fist since since the start of the pandemic. It seems the network guys in all their rejigging of poo poo forgot that when IT people are on the LAN they will need to access servers over RDP. I had to use the emergency backdoor VPN just to do my job, can't connect to the main VPN from inside the office as it just bricks all network connectivity when you try.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MSP dood1: Hey bob we need to reboot this list of servers for window updates, when can we schedule that?
MSP dood2: Hey bob we need to some firmware updates on the servers and a switch when can do we that?

I replied back telling them the other guy at their place wants to do updates as well. Coordinate with him and get them all done on Sunday.

Sunday night he tells me they were able to do some firmware updates but not all because they would have had to take the HyperV servers down.

You took them all down. To update them. Why didn't you do ALL the firmware updates before your brought the VM's back online?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

GI_Clutch posted:

Today I get an invite for a sales handoff call, so I checked it out in Salesforce. Let's see, there is no statement of work, and the PO only shows software licenses, no professional services. Installing what they purchased will take at least a couple of hours. But without professional services hours how am I supposed to do that? Who knows, maybe the customer was planning on configuring everything themselves.

The good news on this one is that there were no professional services hours. The sales guy was new and didn't know that we didn't need a handoff when there was no work to be performed, lol. The customer felt confident in handling everything themselves and the help desk already licensed the product for them.

Today's thing pissing me off is a co-worker I've never worked with before being one of the most condescending pricks I've ever talked to. He wanted to talk about me assisting in automating a process that he has to do manually as he is not familiar with the API. We review the solution he wants and I tell him the best path forward is to submit a request to our team through the ticketing system which is standard procedure when the help desk wants our team to assist them with anything. He claims that "we don't do those" even though another co-worker with the same title has submitted them without question when I've asked. I tell him maybe just email the request to my manager then because I can't work on something unless I've been approved and have somewhere to log my time.

"But it's only like 15 lines of code." Nah, it'll be more than that. "I write C++, but in C#, maybe it'll take you more." The things you want it to do take more than fifteen lines of code, and I try to do things properly like not storing plain text passwords in config files which has been a problem in the past. "Making it complicated doesn't make things better! So-and-so said he ran [tool to make help desks' lives easier] you wrote and it failed on startup!" Yeah, he got a new laptop and copied a config file over with a password encrypted by his old laptop, so it couldn't read the password. He updated the password and it worked.

"You don't know me. I'm smart. I tested in the 95% percentile. I got As on everything I ever did." I wanted to ask why he's still here when he was in medical school when he joined six years ago, but I didn't want to be as douchey as him.

I tell him again to submit a request and we can see what we can do. Fifteen seconds of silence, followed by "Now I'm just staring at your picture. Do you usually not go on camera?" I typically don't turn it on. "You uncomfortable? Yeah, that's what I figured."

Yeah, I was uncomfortable because here's this guy who wanted my help, but did absolutely nothing but talk down to me the entire time. That's not why I don't turn my camera on, but if it was on, he'd have seen all the faces I had been making as I did my best not to tell him to drop the ego, get the chip off his shoulder, or whatever else his problem was.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

MSP dood1: Hey bob we need to reboot this list of servers for window updates, when can we schedule that?
MSP dood2: Hey bob we need to some firmware updates on the servers and a switch when can do we that?

I replied back telling them the other guy at their place wants to do updates as well. Coordinate with him and get them all done on Sunday.

Sunday night he tells me they were able to do some firmware updates but not all because they would have had to take the HyperV servers down.

You took them all down. To update them. Why didn't you do ALL the firmware updates before your brought the VM's back online?

"wasn't MY job"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GI_Clutch posted:

rear end in a top hat coworker...

Yeah, you're never going to be able to help people like that. Stone wall him going forward, any assistance he needs can be submitted as a ticket and triaged by your team.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i also tested at or above the 95th percentile and i’m dumb as dog poo poo. at least i’m smart enough not to treat someone i’m asking for help like that though

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Weedle posted:

i also tested at or above the 95th percentile and i’m dumb as dog poo poo. at least i’m smart enough not to treat someone i’m asking for help like that though

The very fact that someone would bring that up in a professional context speaks volumes. That poo poo reads like a middleschool chatroom.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
But was he trained in gorilla warfare?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Being able to hide behind "I need a ticket to be able to do anything and account for my time, sorry" is honestly the best thing about having a ticketing system. So many requests are both really urgent but also not important enough for people to write ~50 words into a support ticket, so they just disappear.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Holy poo poo that whole thing sounds creepy and gross.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
For poo poo's sake, I have a 128 IQ, read at a college freshman level in 4th grade, and consistently tested in the 98th percentile on standardized tests and I'm dumb as dogshit too, can't remember my own mother's birthday most years, can't remember where I put my loving drill yesterday, et cetera. I don't bring it up in a professional capacity because it has no place. Know what does have a place? When the CFO of my company says I'm in the top 3 most knowledgeable people about our ERP system across the corporation, or when people, including my bosses, come to me to learn how to do things. That is a professional bragging point, but my IQ and test scores...that's not even middle school.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

That is creepy as poo poo. How much of that was on writing?

If you have a good relationship with your manager, you should tell him about this. Like, that's since hostile work environment poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

D34THROW posted:

For poo poo's sake, I have a 128 IQ, read at a college freshman level in 4th grade, and consistently tested in the 98th percentile on standardized tests and I'm dumb as dogshit too, can't remember my own mother's birthday most years, can't remember where I put my loving drill yesterday, et cetera. I don't bring it up in a professional capacity because it has no place. Know what does have a place? When the CFO of my company says I'm in the top 3 most knowledgeable people about our ERP system across the corporation, or when people, including my bosses, come to me to learn how to do things. That is a professional bragging point, but my IQ and test scores...that's not even middle school.

Quoted for unvarnished, unadulterated truth.

I'm just about the smartest person I know, but my test scores and poo poo are completely loving irrelevant. It's my output that matters, and I can output better poo poo, faster, if I take other peoples' learned experiences and incorporate them into my daily work.

One's capacity to learn means nothing unless they actually take the time to learn.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanatosian posted:

If you have a good relationship with your manager, you should tell him about this. Like, that's since hostile work environment poo poo.

agreed.

GL_Clutch, I highly encourage you to complain about this behaviour. It was insulting, unprofessional, and if he's doing it to you he's doing it to others. Go to your manager, and honestly you should probably go to HR to complain about the behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

It was on a Teams call. I actually just got off the phone with his manager whom I have a great relationship with as I've known him since elementary school, we roomed together in college, etc. (he's also a goon). He said he doubts the guy's initiative will move forward, but if it does, I'll work with the other guy. Yes, he's supposed to submit a ticket. He's going to have a chat with the guy tomorrow. Then we talked about videogames.