Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Finally got around to watching Anohana and I enjoyed it a lot. Any other melodramas to suggest? Modernish setting preferred, Mari Okada a plus, and if it matches the change in season that'd be great. I watched Totadora around this time last year and it went well with the temperature starting to dip into the single digits.

someone else asked for melodrama last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
In retrospect I should've clarified that by "hammy" I meant drama I wouldn't look like a psychopath for laughing at, but I think most people ignored that part anyway!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

In retrospect I should've clarified that by "hammy" I meant drama I wouldn't look like a psychopath for laughing at, but I think most people ignored that part anyway!

Why lie about who you really are?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Davincie posted:

someone else asked for melodrama last page

They also said they didn't like Anohana and Clannad, whereas I just finished the former and enjoyed it and really liked the latter when it came out.

IBO has been on my list for a while, although I might save it for winter if that's when it's set. I've only heard good things so I'm looking forward to it. I'll definitely check out those movies though, I really liked A Whisker Away when someone suggested that last year.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
IBO is set on Mars and has no weather associated with winter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

IBO is set on Mars and has no weather associated with winter

But they go to Earth later.

And Carta issue dies in the snow.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah there's a few episodes that occur in winter, it is definitely not a winter show

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I loved Anthem of the Heart, thanks for the recommendation. I wanted Naruse and Tasaki to become an item but I wasn't expecting it to actually happen. The ending scene is the best.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Some of the cast/staff did a fake audition to haze someone.

are you thinking about kokoro connect?

I couldn’t find anything like this for grimgar but searching kokoro connect scandal brought that fake audition thing right up

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Erg posted:

are you thinking about kokoro connect?

I couldn’t find anything like this for grimgar but searching kokoro connect scandal brought that fake audition thing right up

You're probably right about that, sorry for the confusion.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's ok, because i thought that story was from Kill Me Baby

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no kill me baby was cocaine, though that was never going to get a season 2 since it was a bomb

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kill Me Baby FTW

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

You're probably right about that, sorry for the confusion.

I’ve been informed the later seasons of grimgar would have been fail anyways so oh well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

no kill me baby was cocaine, though that was never going to get a season 2 since it was a bomb
the kill me baby va who got arrested for cocaine married the lawyer who got her off, so love finds a way

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

I’ve been informed the later seasons of grimgar would have been fail anyways so oh well

in what way?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Just want to drop another thx for the last string of suggestions to my ask. My recent bout of boredom will be solved :v:

hiddenriverninja posted:

Just an FYI, the back half of every SAO season gets suuuuuper uncomfortable
Also it's funny how accurate this turned out to be. I gave it a chance and watched the first half of the first season which wasn't too bad. The romance was a little too front and center for me but okay I can ignore that and right at the mid mark of the season we get a sudden introduction to topics like longing for your cousin and a grown man talking about how he's going to marry a comatose minor while touching her face in a gross manner. Yeah I stopped there

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 27, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People in Japan care when a celebrity does drugs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

People in Japan care when a celebrity does drugs?
the people? no. the government and talent agencies? oh gently caress yes they do holy poo poo, they will literally end your career if you get caught with a gram of weed. one of the actors used as a likeness in that yakuza spinoff, judgment, got caught with a bit of the ol' smack and he had to literally be edited out of future releases and the characters face changed

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

in what way?

more people die

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The guy who played Tanimura in the original version of Yakuza 4 didnt even get caught or charged with anything, just the rumour of him being involved with drugs made him nope out of the industry before anything happened.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

more people die

this is a problem??? going through the grief of losing someone is one of the core topics of the show

i don't understand, do they just do it poorly in the LNs or what?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was handled well in the series but i also feel like you get diminishing returns on killing people

and the spoiler i know was one of the characters i liked most and wanted them to explore so meh

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

this is a problem??? going through the grief of losing someone is one of the core topics of the show

i don't understand, do they just do it poorly in the LNs or what?

fail (one of my faves is gone)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

the people? no. the government and talent agencies? oh gently caress yes they do holy poo poo, they will literally end your career if you get caught with a gram of weed. one of the actors used as a likeness in that yakuza spinoff, judgment, got caught with a bit of the ol' smack and he had to literally be edited out of future releases and the characters face changed

It's super weird to me that talent agencies are more powerful than the talent in Japan. Like I can see if you're a no-name or whatever but if you're actually popular?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

It's super weird to me that talent agencies are more powerful than the talent in Japan. Like I can see if you're a no-name or whatever but if you're actually popular?

talent agencies work directly with studios to get their specific talent booked. none of the big agencies want a 'liability,' and none of the small agencies have the ability to get their talent booked in anything important.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

fail (one of my faves is gone)

dogsicle posted:

it was handled well in the series but i also feel like you get diminishing returns on killing people

and the spoiler i know was one of the characters i liked most and wanted them to explore so meh

so is it an actual drop in quality or is it just that a well liked character happens to die?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one person saying 'fail' is not actually an objective review you need to get to the bottom of

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ok but this isn't the first place I've seen someone say that the later books aren't great and I want to know why people feel that way and the topic came up here? I dunno if it's just a flippant remark about a writing choice someone didn't like that's fine but if that's all there is to it I'd kinda like to confirm that from them if I have the opportunity

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
they kill more of the men so it's more openly a harem setup

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for me it just began and ended at hearing one of my main attachments to the series would be cut, and just skepticism over maintaining the quality given to death in the series.

so definitely just personal and i don't intend to speak beyond that

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i should say I based the sentence of “fail” on hearing a single character death spoiler

It was entirely flippant and I have no knowledge of actual writing past that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

for me it just began and ended at hearing one of my main attachments to the series would be cut, and just skepticism over maintaining the quality given to death in the series.

so definitely just personal and i don't intend to speak beyond that

Erg posted:

i should say I based the sentence of “fail” on hearing a single character death spoiler

It was entirely flippant and I have no knowledge of actual writing past that.

Alright I understand, thanks for letting me know guys!

Strange Quark posted:

Bummer, if things go in that direction that definitely sucks

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

the kill me baby va who got arrested for cocaine married the lawyer who got her off, so love finds a way

:mrgw:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bailed on Grimgar right after it started, just before they killed off that one guy at the beginning because people posted spoilers before I got around to watching the next ep and any interest I had in the show basically evaporated immediately lol.

I'm not sure I've ever stuck with a show that has a significant amount of character death all the way to the end. I hate getting invested in a character that ends up dying because it's often hard for me to maintain interest in continuing after that. I also just find things that are really grim difficult to continue watching.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i generally like it when characters die, it makes things more interesting when a show is willing to follow through on its stakes and i enjoy exploring grief and trauma through fiction

for example, before that first death i'd have called grimgar a good show, but seeing how the story changed around that character dying made it imo an actually great show that i still remember

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

character death is interesting and the way characters respond to it can tell you a lot about them, the issue is that with how a lot of stories are structured, they tend to kill off interesting characters at the peak of their character arcs (ie: villains who have just become good, characters who did something bad and are trying to redeem themselves, etc) in order to give more development to the intentionally bland enough to appeal to everyone leads

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah, like all possible story beats if the writing around it isn't good just killing people doesn't inherently make a story better. but between well written stories that don't kill anyone and well written stories that include people dying, i prefer the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I want to give a shout out to Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War for not only being one of the best anime I’ve ever seen, but praise it for not succumbing to fan service, which it could have easily done.